Who is starting chemo in August

Options

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Howdy girls
    I started chemo last August. I did 8 rounds and was one of those people who gets very sick. I got through it, and I'm doin good now. Just have faith, "this too shall pass" and it dose and when it dose you will have the rest of your life. The most important thing is a good support system and a positive attitude whenever possible. God bless you all!

I also started chemo last
    I also started chemo last august 4 AC and 12 taxol, i was also pretty ill, but I got through. I cant believe it was a year ago!!! I am feeling better also. best of luck for no side effect chemo!! fingers and toes crossed
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Hope you're feeling
    ok after your first chemo treatment today:-) Good luck to you Heather for Wednesday. Mine is next Tuesday. I finished grocery shopping today but I can't find sugar free hard lemon candy anywhere! bummer!!! I get my port placement Friday and dh & I have granddaughters (2 & 4) for the weekend. Hope I'm feeling ok.
    Char

Crystal Light Lemon Candies
    Char, my sweet husband found Crystal Light lemon candies at Wal-mart. An onc. nurse had recommended them, but we couldn't find them anywhere. Joe looked all over, and there they were in the candy aisle at WallyWorld. Hope you find some at your local store, too.
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Char, my sweet husband found Crystal Light lemon candies at Wal-mart. An onc. nurse had recommended them, but we couldn't find them anywhere. Joe looked all over, and there they were in the candy aisle at WallyWorld. Hope you find some at your local store, too.

Had chemo yesterday...
    I had chemotherapy today I will be taking Herceptin, Carboplatin, and Taxotere... My next treatment is August 23, 2010... I have 6 treatment...minus 1 today...I will continue Herceptin every three weeks for a year...Then I will be giving a pill name to be announce later for five years... I do not feel like myself...I will post tomorrow...I been in bed since 6:00 pm... I feel weird...

I just took my nausea med... I will write all meds I am taking for nausea tommorow...

One down...
    I feel better overall since all the test are over...Now to deal with minor side effects...
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Thanks Moopy
    I'll check our local Wal-Mart. I was at Whole Foods today and bought some real lemon drops made with all natural cane sugar but if I can find the SF ones I'll be happy :-)
    Char
  • cahjah75
    Options

Had chemo yesterday...
    I had chemotherapy today I will be taking Herceptin, Carboplatin, and Taxotere... My next treatment is August 23, 2010... I have 6 treatment...minus 1 today...I will continue Herceptin every three weeks for a year...Then I will be giving a pill name to be announce later for five years... I do not feel like myself...I will post tomorrow...I been in bed since 6:00 pm... I feel weird...

I just took my nausea med... I will write all meds I am taking for nausea tommorow...

One down...
    I feel better overall since all the test are over...Now to deal with minor side effects...

I'm surprised
    you're all ready not feeling well. I'm afraid that's how I'll be too. I will be taking Dex the day before and Emend the day of treatment. My dr also gave me Zofran for vomiting and Compazine. So, I'm prepared, I hope. Sending {{hugs}}.
    Char
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    A Big Good Luck
    To all you new chemo girls. I did 6 rounds of c-t, steroids and nuelasta. I'm 6 and a half months past now. I never had neausea but did develop lactose intolerance during chemo and 3 months after. Digestion gets messed up. Its a pain but you'll get through it and it will be over soon. Good luck.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    laurissa said:

A Big Good Luck
    To all you new chemo girls. I did 6 rounds of c-t, steroids and nuelasta. I'm 6 and a half months past now. I never had neausea but did develop lactose intolerance during chemo and 3 months after. Digestion gets messed up. Its a pain but you'll get through it and it will be over soon. Good luck.

Can I be in this club, too?
    I started July 23. That's almost August.

When I met with the nurse about a week B4 my first cycle, she told me she knew there was nothing she could tell me that would stop my worry, but that about a week after my first infusion, I'd know what it would be like and it would be ok. She did reassure me about all the drugs for side effects, etc. I'm now at Day 13 and sort of know what to expect next time so I'm not freaking any more. My hair started to fall out last night, a little sooner than I expected, and we buzzed it this morning so I don't look like a mangie dog. Having no hair is strange and makes everything real, but it will grow back.

My side effects have been minimal, but they were there nonetheless. Now at Day 13 my appetite has returned, my bowels seem to be almost normal, and I'm feeling quite normal - just in time for the next round (just like they said).

Suzanne
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

When I met with the nurse about a week B4 my first cycle, she told me she knew there was nothing she could tell me that would stop my worry, but that about a week after my first infusion, I'd know what it would be like and it would be ok. She did reassure me about all the drugs for side effects, etc. I'm now at Day 13 and sort of know what to expect next time so I'm not freaking any more. My hair started to fall out last night, a little sooner than I expected, and we buzzed it this morning so I don't look like a mangie dog. Having no hair is strange and makes everything real, but it will grow back.

My side effects have been minimal, but they were there nonetheless. Now at Day 13 my appetite has returned, my bowels seem to be almost normal, and I'm feeling quite normal - just in time for the next round (just like they said).

Suzanne

Sohardbnme .. I too was on that nasty
    combo of chemo drugs you are on .. TCH // memories and side efforts I don't care to remember .. Just my expereince // wicked wicked wicked.

On Wednesday, 8/4 .. I endure my next to LAST Herceptin - year long treatment. So the point I am trying to make .. is that it is hard, difficult at best during the TCH treatments .. I had chemo every week for 18 weeks - no breaks ... Your body will revolt ..but there is light at the end of this journey .. and it takes time, some like myself longer than others .. but you start to heal, think clearer and get back to life before BC.

Strength and Courage:-D

Vicki Sam
  • sohardbnme
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Sohardbnme .. I too was on that nasty
    combo of chemo drugs you are on .. TCH // memories and side efforts I don't care to remember .. Just my expereince // wicked wicked wicked.

On Wednesday, 8/4 .. I endure my next to LAST Herceptin - year long treatment. So the point I am trying to make .. is that it is hard, difficult at best during the TCH treatments .. I had chemo every week for 18 weeks - no breaks ... Your body will revolt ..but there is light at the end of this journey .. and it takes time, some like myself longer than others .. but you start to heal, think clearer and get back to life before BC.

Strength and Courage:-D

Vicki Sam

Thanks Vick

Vick do herceptin have a lot of side effects when taken alone?...Do you have to take another pill for five years?

Double Whammy,

Yes you can be apart of this club...

Heather,

I hope are you and your daughter are alright...Rest up...

Since my first chemo treatment Monday...I am tired, some heartburn...I am taking 2 stool softeners three times daily...I am drinking plenty of water and juice...What I notice is talking makes me nauseous...odd right...All the nausea meds are working great...Fatigue, Fatigue, Fatigue...
  • sohardbnme
    Options

Suzanne

Keep me posted
    Double Wham,

Were you ever fatigued?...
  • sohardbnme
    Options

Keep me posted
    Double Wham,

Were you ever fatigued?...

Heartburn
    Heart Burn...heart burn...heart burn...smiling...
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options

Heartburn
    Heart Burn...heart burn...heart burn...smiling...

Hang in there!
    Gin Gins, a double strength ginger hard candy is good. However, they are hard to find. My husband bought some several years ago when we were in Bermuda. I was never able to find them here, so ordered them on-line. I like to keep them around for upset stomach, etc.
  • cahjah75
    Options

Suzanne

Suzanne thanks
    for letting us know how you made out. My onco nurse told me hair might start falling out days 13-15. I have an appt w/hairdresser to get shaved on day 16. Hope I don't look like a freak
    :-) lol
    Char
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Suzanne thanks
    for letting us know how you made out. My onco nurse told me hair might start falling out days 13-15. I have an appt w/hairdresser to get shaved on day 16. Hope I don't look like a freak
    :-) lol
    Char

Fatigued?
    Yes, a bit. Mostly I felt just plain icky.

This side effect story may be TMI, but . . . I had really impressive diarrhea for a couple of days (days 6, 7) that in spite of my best efforts, burned my entire bottom - from back to front. A & D ointment was recommended if this happens, but it didn't help. This was a Friday. I called medical oncology and they sent out some Diflucan thinking it was probably yeast, but told me to contact gyn to let them know because it involved those "girl parts" (remember, I also had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer July 1 and I was so worried about the potential of developing an infection while things were still healing). Gyn oncology never called me back and it's now after 5:00 on a Friday night. I learned later that they did receive my message, but said it was medical oncology's problem. I had a pretty frustrating few days because this was over a weekend and it wasn't resolving. Thank goodness, I then got constipated! I had very intense vulvar itching that would not go away in spite of OTC treatment. I was also running a low grade temp. Plus I felt really awful. Monday I again called the medical oncologist to tell them I was miserable and let them know that gyn never returned my call. The response was "we don't do that" (pelvic exams)call gyn again. It was after 5:00 p.m. and there I was again in no man's land and not about to go to the ER and see someone new - especially with these symptoms. The next morning my fever was gone but still itching and really mad that no one would take responsibility for me! I called gyn oncology again and finally got a return call from their advice nurse. She said she needed to run this by my doc. The return phone call I finally got was that he really would need to evaluate me and to keep my scheduled post op appointment (one week later!) and he'd do it then!

Must have been the work of God, because by the next morning, like magic, all was well again.

In hindsight, I should have contacted my primary care physician. And if this or something similar happens again next cycle, I will. At least I could have been seen and she could have determined if I needed the specialized care, done a culture if necessary,been my advocate if needed, etc. I did think of that, but thought I was doing the right thing since the cause of the diarrhea was definitely the chemo and I thought (silly me) that medical oncology was in charge of all complications from that! I guess not. I am practicing my talk that both the medical oncologist and gynecologic oncologist will receive when I see each of them on the 10th!

And that's my special side effect story.

Suzanne
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Chemo in the O.C. on August 18th
    I start TC every 3 weeks begining August 18th. I get to battle with 6 rounds of this stuff. This day is also mine and my husband's 26th wedding anniversary so it will be quite a day....

Sending good thoughts to the rest of you...
  • cahjah75
    Options

Chemo in the O.C. on August 18th
    I start TC every 3 weeks begining August 18th. I get to battle with 6 rounds of this stuff. This day is also mine and my husband's 26th wedding anniversary so it will be quite a day....

Sending good thoughts to the rest of you...

For better or for worse
    are the vows you said. Why don't you celebrate your anniversary a bit early so you don't associate with the chemo???? DH & I have been married 35 years and I have been in and out of hospitals too many times in the past 4 years. The future is unknown but hopefully chemo will take care of the immediate. Keeping you in my thoughts as we all go through chemo this month.
    Char
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I'll be thinking of you too
    Laurel. If my daughter-in-law takes me to and from with my 3 grandkids I'll be upset if I'm not feeling well. So, I'm hoping for no side effects right away. Take care!
    Char

Just wishing all of you
    Just wishing all of you chemo girls good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • GrandmaMir
    GrandmaMir Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I start chemo on Wednesday,
    I start chemo on Wednesday, Aug. 11.
  • Ladymom
    Ladymom Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Starting August 12
    I'm starting Thursday, August 12 with AC. I fear the unknown because although people can tell me what it's like I'll only know what it's like for me when it happens. I've been given a tour of the infusion area and I'm happy for the advice for hydration. It sounds like water is of utmost importance.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    Ladymom said:

Starting August 12
    I'm starting Thursday, August 12 with AC. I fear the unknown because although people can tell me what it's like I'll only know what it's like for me when it happens. I've been given a tour of the infusion area and I'm happy for the advice for hydration. It sounds like water is of utmost importance.

Water , especially 24 hrs BEFORE the treatment
    very important! Also I chewed on ice chips throughout the treatment and it prevents the dreaded mouth sores from happening. (I know it's true because I tried going without once and was really sorry) I'm exactly one year ahead of you gals, started August 2009 and I can tell you there is a wonderful LIGHT at the end of this. I wish I could give my ph number. You really need someone who's been through it to talk to. Keep posting on here and you'll get wonderful advice.
    Water tasted like gasoline to me on the first treatment, but was not as bad with the rest.
    Ginger Ale, tea, yogurt, apple slices, banana, hard boiled eggs, and crackers got me through most of the A/C treatments. Thank goodness the Taxol was easier. I could eat anything . Good luck ladies!