Who is starting chemo in August

sohardbnme
sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am starting on Monday and I need support...

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Thoughts & prayers coming your way!
    Like you have read, everyone is different. I started my 4 chemo treatments on June 23rd. I have my third one this Wednesday. I like you was scared to death. Luckily, for me it wasn't as bad as I thought. No major side effects. I had to take steroids the day before, the day of, and the day after. (Tues, Wed & Thurs). So by Saturday they had completely worn off and I just hit the wall. Did nothing the entire day, but was much better on Sunday.

Remember to stay hydrated. Make sure that you drink plenty of water on Sunday and Monday during & after your treatment.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. Hugs, Jean
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    I am not starting chemo, but
    I am not starting chemo, but I just want to say that I will be thinking of you and am sending thoughts, prayers & hugs your way. I pray that you do well and that the chemo won't be so hard for you. But do remember that you are surrounded by these pink sisters with so much love & understanding . . . you are not alone . . . bring your thoughts back to us when you're feeling scared and let us comfort you. As we've said to others, we'll hold you up, support you, carry you . . . if you'll keep that in mind.

With many prayers . . .

♥ Lynn ♥
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I'm with you:-)
    I start chemo August 10. I'm getting TC every 21 days. I still don't know how many treatments. I'm scared of the unknown too. I'm prepared with the drugs, food, etc but until we actually have an infusion we don't know how we're going to react. I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best. Good luck on Monday. Sending cyber {{hugs}}.
    Char
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    Not sure when I'll be starting
    I see my oncologist for the first time next week, so I don't know when I'll be starting my chemo. My thoughts and prayers are with you, though. I'm trying not to freak out about the whole thing. I DESPISE being nauseous, though, and that's got me worried more than all the other potential side effects. Silly, I know, but I just hate that feeling. Here's hoping we both get through it with minimal discomfort. :)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Last Aug.
    I started A/C last Aug 26th.

The first step it the longest - hang in there - you'll make it as so many before you have.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    i start 2 days after you
    I'm with you - I start Wednesday. We'll do this together ok :) Do you have a cell phone? I'd be happy to give you my # and you could call, txt, or even email me while you're there if you're nervous...I can give you my email address -i have one of those smart phones so all my incoming emails come right to my phone.
    I'm a little nervous too-just because I don't know what's going to happen. I'm afraid of throwing up & being nauseous, I'm scared about losing my hair, and how my kids will react to that, and if I lose my eyebrows & lashes -then I'll really look sick.
    Hang in there, we will get through this, and both of us will be ok.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • sohardbnme

i start 2 days after you
    I'm with you - I start Wednesday. We'll do this together ok :) Do you have a cell phone? I'd be happy to give you my # and you could call, txt, or even email me while you're there if you're nervous...I can give you my email address -i have one of those smart phones so all my incoming emails come right to my phone.
    I'm a little nervous too-just because I don't know what's going to happen. I'm afraid of throwing up & being nauseous, I'm scared about losing my hair, and how my kids will react to that, and if I lose my eyebrows & lashes -then I'll really look sick.
    *hugs*
    Heather

i cut my hair today
    I cut off all my hair today... I am ready to get started...uuuggghhh...

Thank You everyone for your support and well wishes...I need it...
  • sohardbnme

i start 2 days after you
    *hugs*
    Heather

Yes i would like to exchange contact info
    Heather,

Can I send you a personal message on here... If not I am at sohardbnme@aol.com... I will reply in a timely fashion...I need support...
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Support
    Hugs, warm fuzzy thoughts, positive energy, and prayers heading ur way. Katz
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Another thought
    Rereading posts and nausea seems to be a concern. I too was scared. hate being nauseated. They give so many drugs for nausea now it's almost nonexsistant. Did your onc give scripts for break through nausea? Mine gave script for phergan,E-Mend (it's the best),prolisic script strength for daily use. Probably one more can't remember. I didnt really have nausea, but felt full. I called it "slooshie". I also had ginger in pill form. I don't like ginger ale. That's also a option. Even though wasn't really nauseated, didn't want to drink cause of the fullness. Sipped on gatorade all day to keep hydrated. Chemo is very dehydrating. Oh, the bowels. Please keep a eye on the bowels! I have problems anyway. Thought I was going to have to go to the ER so they could disimpact me! Sounds horrible I know, but whats not horrible about this disease? lol
    They'll also give you something prior to chemo, Aloxi (nausea),steroids etc. At least that's what they gave me. Drink,Drink,Drink! That's the biggie. Good luck girls. It will be ok. Tell them about ur concerns and ask questions. That's what they're there for. You're all in my prayers : ) Katz
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Katz77 said:

Another thought
    Rereading posts and nausea seems to be a concern. I too was scared. hate being nauseated. They give so many drugs for nausea now it's almost nonexsistant. Did your onc give scripts for break through nausea? Mine gave script for phergan,E-Mend (it's the best),prolisic script strength for daily use. Probably one more can't remember. I didnt really have nausea, but felt full. I called it "slooshie". I also had ginger in pill form. I don't like ginger ale. That's also a option. Even though wasn't really nauseated, didn't want to drink cause of the fullness. Sipped on gatorade all day to keep hydrated. Chemo is very dehydrating. Oh, the bowels. Please keep a eye on the bowels! I have problems anyway. Thought I was going to have to go to the ER so they could disimpact me! Sounds horrible I know, but whats not horrible about this disease? lol
    They'll also give you something prior to chemo, Aloxi (nausea),steroids etc. At least that's what they gave me. Drink,Drink,Drink! That's the biggie. Good luck girls. It will be ok. Tell them about ur concerns and ask questions. That's what they're there for. You're all in my prayers : ) Katz

To all you 'New' Chemo Queens ... Please take a few
    mintues and jot down some of the wonderful ideas along and suggestions given on this site for chemo.

Hydrate.. Hydrate .. add apple juice, cranberry juice, lipton pre pak tea, crystal lite, grape juice, my favorite .. pink lemonade to your water - seriously after a few days you will want to stay away from the water - but you can't. Herbal tea

Have on hand - B4 starting chemo:

laxatives - get name brand from Onc -- I was consipated6 to 10 days -- numerous times during chemo .. hospitalized
    anti -dirreah (sp?) medication -- get name brand from Onc
    Emend -- prescribed by Onc wonderful .. cost about $90.00 just for co-pay

Plastic spoons, knifes and folks .. helps metal mouth taste
    Biotene or Natural toothpaste, baking soda also works and keeps teeth white

trashy books or magazines .. just to entertain you on you Icky days ..
    Comic dvr's or tivo old reruns of 'Everybody Loves Ray' or Bernie Mac .. any program that will make you smile without thinking too hard.

notebook and pen to record your systoms and questions for Oncologist

Strength and Courage to you all :-D

Vicki Sam
  • lasimpson
    lasimpson Member Posts: 15
    cahjah75 said:

I'm with you:-)
    I start chemo August 10. I'm getting TC every 21 days. I still don't know how many treatments. I'm scared of the unknown too. I'm prepared with the drugs, food, etc but until we actually have an infusion we don't know how we're going to react. I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best. Good luck on Monday. Sending cyber {{hugs}}.
    Char

August 10 - Start Date
    Hi Char,

I start chemo August 10th too. This website has been so helpful for a grocery list and many other questions. I am single and blessed to have a wonderful support system during this period. I want to join a local support group and hope to very soon.

Please keep in touch and I will as well. Best of luck and take care.

Laurel from Suwanee, GA.
  • cahjah75
    lasimpson said:

August 10 - Start Date
    Hi Char,

I start chemo August 10th too. This website has been so helpful for a grocery list and many other questions. I am single and blessed to have a wonderful support system during this period. I want to join a local support group and hope to very soon.

Please keep in touch and I will as well. Best of luck and take care.

Laurel from Suwanee, GA.

I'll be thinking of you too
    Laurel. If my daughter-in-law takes me to and from with my 3 grandkids I'll be upset if I'm not feeling well. So, I'm hoping for no side effects right away. Take care!
    Char
  • cahjah75

Not sure when I'll be starting
    I see my oncologist for the first time next week, so I don't know when I'll be starting my chemo. My thoughts and prayers are with you, though. I'm trying not to freak out about the whole thing. I DESPISE being nauseous, though, and that's got me worried more than all the other potential side effects. Silly, I know, but I just hate that feeling. Here's hoping we both get through it with minimal discomfort. :)

My oncologist
    has already prepared me because I told him I get nauseous easily. They will give me antinausea meds with chemo and I have 2 scripts for at home. Plus, I was given reading material by the oncology dept which talked about what to expect and what foods to eat in each scenario. Best of luck to you.
    Char
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

Yes i would like to exchange contact info
    Heather,

Can I send you a personal message on here... If not I am at sohardbnme@aol.com... I will reply in a timely fashion...I need support...

i messaged you my cell and
    i messaged you my cell and email...praying for you and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow :)
  • sohardbnme
    VickiSam said:

To all you 'New' Chemo Queens ... Please take a few
    mintues and jot down some of the wonderful ideas along and suggestions given on this site for chemo.

Hydrate.. Hydrate .. add apple juice, cranberry juice, lipton pre pak tea, crystal lite, grape juice, my favorite .. pink lemonade to your water - seriously after a few days you will want to stay away from the water - but you can't. Herbal tea

Have on hand - B4 starting chemo:

laxatives - get name brand from Onc -- I was consipated6 to 10 days -- numerous times during chemo .. hospitalized
    anti -dirreah (sp?) medication -- get name brand from Onc
    Emend -- prescribed by Onc wonderful .. cost about $90.00 just for co-pay

Plastic spoons, knifes and folks .. helps metal mouth taste
    Biotene or Natural toothpaste, baking soda also works and keeps teeth white

trashy books or magazines .. just to entertain you on you Icky days ..
    Comic dvr's or tivo old reruns of 'Everybody Loves Ray' or Bernie Mac .. any program that will make you smile without thinking too hard.

notebook and pen to record your systoms and questions for Oncologist

Strength and Courage to you all :-D

Vicki Sam

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes
    Vick, I have most of the items on your list thank you...
    Heather, its on...We are ready...All we have to do is show up...

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers...

Oh, I have someone going with me in morning...God has sent me support...
  • sohardbnme

i messaged you my cell and email...praying for you and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow :)

Thanks...
    Got it we we will talk soon...

Smiling...Lets Go...
  • sohardbnme

contact me please Heather
    Heather,
    I deem myself as a young computer savvy modern woman...I cannot find private message icon or button ON THIS EARLY MORNING...I wanted to get your cell # so I can text you... My brain is...
    I HAVE CANCER...I HAVE NO SYMPTOMS...I HAVE 4 SCARS FROM SURGERY, I AM ABOUT TO HAVE CHEMOTHERAPY… cancer is insidious and cunning… Funny, the reason I went to see my GYN is because of heavy menstrual cycles… Found out I had three uterine fibroids and cancer the same day… Fibroids are on back burner… I HAVE SYMPTOMS FOR THOSE THOUGH… (SMILING)

I have to be at MED ONC at 8:45 am...First we will have a consultation where regimen and treatment will be set forth...Then CHEMO...I CAN DO IT... if I get scared, at least I showed up... :):)
    I have survived so much, I will this add this to the list… I will have more to give... About to get dress…
    After today, I can say one down …

Lets Go...
  • cahjah75

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes
    Vick, I have most of the items on your list thank you...
    Heather, its on...We are ready...All we have to do is show up...

Thanks everyone for your support and prayers...

Oh, I have someone going with me in morning...God has sent me support...

Hope you're feeling
    ok after your first chemo treatment today:-) Good luck to you Heather for Wednesday. Mine is next Tuesday. I finished grocery shopping today but I can't find sugar free hard lemon candy anywhere! bummer!!! I get my port placement Friday and dh & I have granddaughters (2 & 4) for the weekend. Hope I'm feeling ok.
    Char
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    cahjah75 said:

Hope you're feeling
    ok after your first chemo treatment today:-) Good luck to you Heather for Wednesday. Mine is next Tuesday. I finished grocery shopping today but I can't find sugar free hard lemon candy anywhere! bummer!!! I get my port placement Friday and dh & I have granddaughters (2 & 4) for the weekend. Hope I'm feeling ok.
    Char

Howdy girls
    I started chemo last August. I did 8 rounds and was one of those people who gets very sick. I got through it, and I'm doin good now. Just have faith, "this too shall pass" and it dose and when it dose you will have the rest of your life. The most important thing is a good support system and a positive attitude whenever possible. God bless you all!