If you do not feel right about something, read this

Options

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

Well said Meena
    I am a firm believer that we as individuals often know before anyone else. There may be symptoms that we can't begin to verbalize properly but we just know. We are more familiar with our bodies than anyone.

Here is my experience. In August 1986, while putting on my swimsuit, I felt a weird lump. It was painless, had no borders that I could feel, a thickening. Of course, big red flags!

I put off going to the doc until Feb 1987 because, at 33, I didn't want to sound like a nut. My GYN told me, after examining me, "I'm not impressed."

Fortunately, as I was leaving her office, she stopped me and said that because of my family hx she wanted a "baseline mammogram." The mammogram came back IDC. Turns out that the lump I felt was the tail of the tumor and the origin was behind my nipple. Because it was so large I had to have a mastectomy. Also had 4 nodes.

Fast forward to 2005, in Nov after Katrina I turn up with 3-4 broken ribs from lifting boxes. I had a bone scan, Pet, CT, etc--all were inconclusive and my cancer markers were normal.

I complained and complained about my ribs even telling one doc "it feels like an alien in my chest trying to push out." I had pneumonia 2 X between 2005 & 2009 (never had pneumonia before). I was very tired. The pain was unmanageable. My family doc told me that, after rib fractures, I would just have the pain off and on for the rest of my life. Live with it.

Finally, pneumonia again in Feb 2009 and the CT this time is very suspicious, repeat bone scan comes back "osseous metastasis." Markers are now very abnormal. Bone biopsies of 2 different ribs confirms that, in both ribs samples, it is breast metastasis from 22 ys ago!

Both times, I really felt something was wrong, but you are very right in saying that we are just happy to hear the good news without insisting something is wrong.

Don't live your life waiting for something bad to happen, but do speak up if you know something bad is happening. Be diligent; very good advice.

I am wondering that too
    I am wondering that too Meena. So, you have a recurrence too Cynthia? And, it came back 22 years later? Or, was it there all the time? Praying for you too.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

thanks
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm sure it has inspired everyone who read it to be their own advocates in this fight. We know our bodies better than a doctor does. Hope you had a great time at the shore.

Thanks Meena! We do know
    Thanks Meena! We do know our own bodies the best, and, we have to always be vigilant in telling our doctors of anything new, no matter what.

Hoping your chemo is going easier for you.

Praying for you,

Debby
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
    I am so sorry that you have to go through this again.I thank you for reminding us to be our own advocates and to listen to our bodies. Sometimes it is difficult to discern what is "normal" after just completing grads, starting hormone receptor blockers and having surgery. What is the new "normal". Just had this conversation with my OT who I see for Lymphedema treatment. I was feeling a tender, area of thickening in the upper outer quadrant of my affected breast. She said is was not the lymphedema and she agreed it felt somewhat cystic. It hurt for a day or two before it stopped being bothersome. I am going to talk to my NP at my Medical Oncologist's office. I don't have an appt again until mid Sept(mammo scheduled for the end of next month) and don't want to just ignore it until next month's appt.
    Hugs, K.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    KayNYC said:

thanks for sharing
    I am so sorry that you have to go through this again.I thank you for reminding us to be our own advocates and to listen to our bodies. Sometimes it is difficult to discern what is "normal" after just completing grads, starting hormone receptor blockers and having surgery. What is the new "normal". Just had this conversation with my OT who I see for Lymphedema treatment. I was feeling a tender, area of thickening in the upper outer quadrant of my affected breast. She said is was not the lymphedema and she agreed it felt somewhat cystic. It hurt for a day or two before it stopped being bothersome. I am going to talk to my NP at my Medical Oncologist's office. I don't have an appt again until mid Sept(mammo scheduled for the end of next month) and don't want to just ignore it until next month's appt.
    Hugs, K.

Thanks!
    This is a very powerful and most needed post. Thank you Meena!

Praying and wishing you well!

♥ Noel
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

My heart breaks for you,
    My heart breaks for you, Meena! I am just starting this journey - just had my lumpectomy on Thursday - but I've already been thinking about the fact that I know I'll be spending the rest of my life wondering if it will come back. No matter how the treatments go or what the prognosis ultimately is down the road, there will just always be that fear in the back of my mind. I praise you for continuing to seek answers and wish that we didn't have to practically demand that our doctors listen to our fears and investigate our concerns. But God bless you, Meena, and I'll be praying for you!

Wishing you healing thoughts
    Wishing you healing thoughts winsomeubulldog!

Hugs, Jan
  • survivorbc09
    Options

Well said Meena
    I am a firm believer that we as individuals often know before anyone else. There may be symptoms that we can't begin to verbalize properly but we just know. We are more familiar with our bodies than anyone.

Here is my experience. In August 1986, while putting on my swimsuit, I felt a weird lump. It was painless, had no borders that I could feel, a thickening. Of course, big red flags!

I put off going to the doc until Feb 1987 because, at 33, I didn't want to sound like a nut. My GYN told me, after examining me, "I'm not impressed."

Fortunately, as I was leaving her office, she stopped me and said that because of my family hx she wanted a "baseline mammogram." The mammogram came back IDC. Turns out that the lump I felt was the tail of the tumor and the origin was behind my nipple. Because it was so large I had to have a mastectomy. Also had 4 nodes.

Fast forward to 2005, in Nov after Katrina I turn up with 3-4 broken ribs from lifting boxes. I had a bone scan, Pet, CT, etc--all were inconclusive and my cancer markers were normal.

I complained and complained about my ribs even telling one doc "it feels like an alien in my chest trying to push out." I had pneumonia 2 X between 2005 & 2009 (never had pneumonia before). I was very tired. The pain was unmanageable. My family doc told me that, after rib fractures, I would just have the pain off and on for the rest of my life. Live with it.

Finally, pneumonia again in Feb 2009 and the CT this time is very suspicious, repeat bone scan comes back "osseous metastasis." Markers are now very abnormal. Bone biopsies of 2 different ribs confirms that, in both ribs samples, it is breast metastasis from 22 ys ago!

Both times, I really felt something was wrong, but you are very right in saying that we are just happy to hear the good news without insisting something is wrong.

Don't live your life waiting for something bad to happen, but do speak up if you know something bad is happening. Be diligent; very good advice.

Praying for you too
    Praying for you too Cynthia!

Hugs, Jan
  • survivorbc09
    Options

Well said Meena

Praying for you too
    Praying for you too Cynthia!

Hugs, Jan
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Totally Agree...
    We really need to "listen" to our bodies and follow our "gut" feelings on things. I'm finding I'm getting better at "following my gut" as I get older. But it's hard. You don't want to become some paranoid, hypochondriac. On the other hand, can anyone really blame us for thinking "could it be more"? I think not. So...I think one shouldn't worry about what others may think. If your gut and that "still small voice" is telling you something isn't right, get it checkout until your satisified with the answer.

That's my two cents:)

Sally
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    sal314 said:

Totally Agree...
    We really need to "listen" to our bodies and follow our "gut" feelings on things. I'm finding I'm getting better at "following my gut" as I get older. But it's hard. You don't want to become some paranoid, hypochondriac. On the other hand, can anyone really blame us for thinking "could it be more"? I think not. So...I think one shouldn't worry about what others may think. If your gut and that "still small voice" is telling you something isn't right, get it checkout until your satisified with the answer.

That's my two cents:)

Sally

I agree too Meena!
    We have to always listen to that lil voice in our head and go with our gut feeling that something might not be right with our health. After all, the doctors, no matter how good they are, aren't us.

Thanks for posting this thread! It is one of the best I have ever read on here!

Lex♥
  • jennN
    jennN Member Posts: 40
    Options
    meena1 said:

At least I am getting the
    At least I am getting the treatment I need now. Cat Scan on Monday, so crossing my fingers for good results.

Cat Scan
    Did you find out anything today from your Cat Scan? I've been thinking about you. I too have all sorts of odd pains and they tell me I'm fine. I try not to worry and keep busy a lot so I don't.

Jen
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    My maternal
    grandmother had breast cancer that went to her bones. That was 56 years ago. You would think doctors would listen to us more now than 50 years ago. I'm worried about elevated liver function blood test especially since bc can go to liver. I'm scheduled for a liver ultrasound because I want some answers. Thanks goodness some of my doctors listen to me.

Meena and Cynthia - keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Char
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

Yes I do have bone cancer
    Yes I do have bone cancer (from breast). I was just trying to say (I guess not well) that, if you are really worried about something going on with your body, do be persistent with your docs.

And Meena, please hang in there. You are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Cynthia for clearing
    Thanks Cynthia for clearing this up. I was confused. I certainly pray for you too!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

I am wondering that too
    I am wondering that too Meena. So, you have a recurrence too Cynthia? And, it came back 22 years later? Or, was it there all the time? Praying for you too.

My guess is that a few cells
    My guess is that a few cells escaped being anihilated by mastectomy, chemo, rads, tamoxifen. I seem destined to stay on hormone therapy for the rest of my life, but I guess that beats the alternative. My tumor was ER+
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    meena1 said:

My trip to the beach was
    My trip to the beach was wonderful! Nice cool breeze by the ocean, I swear that salt air and water have a healing effect, Many years ago. sick people were sent to the shore to heal. Plus you can close your eyes and just listen to the ocean.

Glad you trip was so
    Glad your trip was so wonderful for you Meena! You deserve all the wonderful things in life! Keep fighting!

Hugs, Diane
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

My maternal
    grandmother had breast cancer that went to her bones. That was 56 years ago. You would think doctors would listen to us more now than 50 years ago. I'm worried about elevated liver function blood test especially since bc can go to liver. I'm scheduled for a liver ultrasound because I want some answers. Thanks goodness some of my doctors listen to me.

Meena and Cynthia - keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Char

cahjah, yes bc does to the
    cahjah, yes bc does to the liver. That is what happened to me. Let me know what your ultrasound says. I will pray for good results
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    meena1 said:

cahjah, yes bc does to the
    cahjah, yes bc does to the liver. That is what happened to me. Let me know what your ultrasound says. I will pray for good results

Very powerful thread here
    Thank you for starting it, Meena1, so sorry for the reason, but it's very helpful for all of us to know what you went through. If your onc blows it off, I say find another doctor.
    My prayers are also with you. Please let us know the results of the tests.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    mee1
    Hugs, love and preyers from me to you.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Mama G said:

Very powerful thread here
    Thank you for starting it, Meena1, so sorry for the reason, but it's very helpful for all of us to know what you went through. If your onc blows it off, I say find another doctor.
    My prayers are also with you. Please let us know the results of the tests.

So important this thread!
    So important this thread! Thank you Meena.

Hugs and prayers to you!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Meena thank you for sharing
    Meena thank you for sharing this. I only wish you didnt have to deal with this now, but it will certainly help all of us. My prayers are with you and pray you beat the beast again.

Praying for you Meena!

Praying for you Meena!
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Oh Meena, Here I stand
    Oh Meena, Here I stand ecstatic to have received a clean MRI after a year of treatments...Your post pierced my heart, sister. The truth is, we girls have a real alliance with one another. Your victory is my victory, your set-back is my set back... Please know, as personal as battling this disease is to each and every one of us- we are with you. xoxo