Options
13»

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    chenheart said:

Which reminds me...I was a
    Which reminds me...I was a USO volunteer in Germany~ all of the guys were there on R&R from Nam. I now own ALL of the DVDs from the series China Beach~ it speaks to me on so many levels. Makes me cry to think about it.

I had penpals in Viet Nam
    I sent my name into the "Sea Tiger", a paper for the armed forces, and had about 50 responses. Spent all the money I made baby-sitting on postage - airmail was 10 cents.

Corresponded with some for awhile after Nam, but it just dwindled.

Makes me think of a Simon & Garfunkel line 'Oh what a time it was, a time of innocence'

Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

You gals are 'outtasight'!
    A few months ago, right after returning to work, I found that our immediate group of co-workers were all born in '53 (4 of us) and a lovely young woman of 22. She now not only knows who Bobby Sherman is, but has heard all his songs, thinks he was a hottie and admired my 16 magazine (the only one I saved) with Bobby in a speedo.

We all giggled like the girls we were (who still live in our hearts).

Traci - LOVE the photo - you did rock that 'do!

Ladies - my sisters - thank you all for the wonderful walk down memory lane. Keep 'em comin.

Sue

I have been thinking about
    I have been thinking about the commercials, like the coke one"I'd like to teach the world to sing" I loved David Cassidy. I grew up more in the 70's DISCO,but loved Elton John. I did have and still have a POW bracelet from Vietnam. I wish we did not have all the commercials we do now, ED, Kotex. I tell the kids we never had that stuff on TV. I also tell them no DVD's so when peanuts, or the wizard of Oz, or Cinderella came on once a year you watched it with soooo much anticipation. So glad they got rid of the belts, hated that big V in the back!!!!! Oh yeah we were also talking about the car, how we would sleep in the wheel wells, and ledge at the back window. thinking nothing of it. drive in movies.................
    Traci love the hair!!! My senior pic had the Farrah do.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    I remember albums
    Remember Columbia House Record Club where you can order 13 albums for a dollar something? I was a bad member, but I was only 16. I ordered like 3 times and got a stack of albums. Frampton Comes Alive was my favorite. Earth, Wind and Fire, The Carpenters, Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO), Jefferson Starship to name a few.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options
    laurissa said:

I remember albums
    Remember Columbia House Record Club where you can order 13 albums for a dollar something? I was a bad member, but I was only 16. I ordered like 3 times and got a stack of albums. Frampton Comes Alive was my favorite. Earth, Wind and Fire, The Carpenters, Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO), Jefferson Starship to name a few.

The Lovin' Spoonfields,
    The Lovin' Spoonfuls, Mamas & Papas, and....Hair

Cindy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Mimi & VickiSam
    Just in case you've forgotten -- I DID rock the permed look! Please note Exhibit A, to your left...

<--

:-) Traci</p>

Traci!
    Your hair is perfect. I only dreamed that my permed hair would look half as nice. You must have been one of the popular girls. :)
  • mimivac
    Options
    Hope 2010 said:

This sure does bring back
    This sure does bring back memories and a big grin on my face. For me, the Facts of Life, Growing Pains, oh and the Electric Company (I think that's what it was I just remember it was on PBS)... One thing I remember are the leg warmers along with the movie Flash Dance. Actually I still have mine, although they're stretched out a bit ;) I gave them to my 8 year old and she just loves to wear them.

Now talking with my 8 year old twins, it's funny because I remember when we didn't have a microwave (or it had the dial to turn) or when you actually had to get off the couch and change the TV. No remote. Or adjust the rabbit ears on the TV. I'm a gamer and I still have my original NES (Original Nintendo console) but remember my dad buying us PONG game console (I think that's the name it was like playing ping pong) and that was the greatest game back then.

Hope,
    I had the Atari 64 system and couldn't believe how aweome it was. I would play "milipede" on it for hours. I also remember pacman, miss pacman, battle something or another. We never upgraded to Nintendo. Now, my husband plays an awful lot of Playstation 3 and WOW on his PC.

I also remember having no microwave (my parents still don't have one) and swtiching the channel manually on the little black and white television in my room. I'd come home every day from school and turn on Santa Barbara. I was obsessed with that show, especially the characters Mason and Julia. I really wanted them to get together and even insisted for a while that everyone call me "MJ" in honor of their love. LOL, I was embarrasing.

Mimi
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

The Lovin' Spoonfields,
    The Lovin' Spoonfuls, Mamas & Papas, and....Hair

Cindy

I am still LOL at Traci's .. Rockin Perm
    Oh .. how memories can bring a smile to anyone's eyes and face.

Vicki Sam

PS .. I too had the blown out bangs with perm hair .. LOL .. How funny? Boy did we look GOOD!@##++
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

I am still LOL at Traci's .. Rockin Perm
    Oh .. how memories can bring a smile to anyone's eyes and face.

Vicki Sam

PS .. I too had the blown out bangs with perm hair .. LOL .. How funny? Boy did we look GOOD!@##++

I had great hair, but I was a total nerd
    No, Mimi, I was most definitely NOT one of the popular girls -- AP everything, valedictorian, studied Russian because it was the hardest language -- TOTAL nerd.

And WHAT was I thinking with those eyebrows? It's like I'd never heard of tweezers??!!??

When I was 12, I decided that everyone had to start dotting the "i" in my name with a heart -- pretty embarrassing now, but hey, Mimi -- not as embarrassing as changing your name to honor the love of soap opera characters!! You've made me feel SO much better about myself and my teen years!

:-) :-) :-) Traci
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

No, Mimi, I was most definitely NOT one of the popular girls -- AP everything, valedictorian, studied Russian because it was the hardest language -- TOTAL nerd.

And WHAT was I thinking with those eyebrows? It's like I'd never heard of tweezers??!!??

When I was 12, I decided that everyone had to start dotting the "i" in my name with a heart -- pretty embarrassing now, but hey, Mimi -- not as embarrassing as changing your name to honor the love of soap opera characters!! You've made me feel SO much better about myself and my teen years!

love love love this photo, traci ♥
    your photo totally makes me smile! (i liked the other one too) you have a smile that shines through your eyes and that's wonderful!
  • mimivac
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

LOL. Thanks a lot!
    But yes, that was really embarrassing. What was I thinking? I was always a really emotional kid. And believe me, I know about bushy eyebrows. Mine needed a mower, along with my legs and underarms. My mom thought her innocent little girl would be spoiled if she started shaving, so I had to endure years of other kids saying I had a forest growing under my arms. I did!

We probably would have been friends. :)

Mimi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    mimivac said:

Hope,
    I had the Atari 64 system and couldn't believe how aweome it was. I would play "milipede" on it for hours. I also remember pacman, miss pacman, battle something or another. We never upgraded to Nintendo. Now, my husband plays an awful lot of Playstation 3 and WOW on his PC.

I also remember having no microwave (my parents still don't have one) and swtiching the channel manually on the little black and white television in my room. I'd come home every day from school and turn on Santa Barbara. I was obsessed with that show, especially the characters Mason and Julia. I really wanted them to get together and even insisted for a while that everyone call me "MJ" in honor of their love. LOL, I was embarrasing.

Mimi

Hmmmmm...6 degrees of
    Hmmmmm...6 degrees of separation, anyone? Not only am I in Santa Barbara county, but my darling "daughter/niece" Siobhan was named after the character of the same name on another defunct Soap Opera, Ryan's Hope! No need to be embarrassed after all, Mimi! :-)
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    mimivac said:

LOL. Thanks a lot!
    But yes, that was really embarrassing. What was I thinking? I was always a really emotional kid. And believe me, I know about bushy eyebrows. Mine needed a mower, along with my legs and underarms. My mom thought her innocent little girl would be spoiled if she started shaving, so I had to endure years of other kids saying I had a forest growing under my arms. I did!

We probably would have been friends. :)

Mimi

Chen...
    I remember the Kotex movie, the Modess ads in "True Story Magazine" (had to sneak into Mom's room and read them when she wasn't home)... and I remember being told that "nice girls don't use tampons" LOL Good grief!!!
  • chenheart
    Options

Chen...
    I remember the Kotex movie, the Modess ads in "True Story Magazine" (had to sneak into Mom's room and read them when she wasn't home)... and I remember being told that "nice girls don't use tampons" LOL Good grief!!!

Oh yeah~ only "bad" girls
    Oh yeah~ only "bad" girls used tampons! "Good" girls wouldn't know how or where exactly, and if they did know, it meant , well we know what it meant! Good Grief, indeed! LOL
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Oh yeah~ only "bad" girls
    Oh yeah~ only "bad" girls used tampons! "Good" girls wouldn't know how or where exactly, and if they did know, it meant , well we know what it meant! Good Grief, indeed! LOL

I was raised in a church fearing loving family .. so it
    hard for me to admit that I smoked weed -- sailed thru high school acting like a 70's hippy .. No lie .. My sister used to sew me 'HALTER TOPS' .. CUZ they were no where to be found in the 80's .. and i wore them with pride, ripped jeans - permed long hair .. pair of moccasins .. no SOCKS .. Size 26 or 28 LEVI's. OH MY LORD ..

Come to think of it .. I was very POPULAR .. not what you think .. I was a virgin until I was 18 years of age.

I graduated high school in 3 years not 4 years .. Great grades, and lots of credits.

Chen .. I do remember using Kotex pads with a BELT!!!!!! My mother would not buy me tampons !! Remember those STUPID BELTS belts. I did get smart and had a girlfriend buy me tampons. LOL .. I was a FREE SPIRIT.!!!

Vicki Sam
  • chenheart
    Options
    VickiSam said:

I was raised in a church fearing loving family .. so it
    hard for me to admit that I smoked weed -- sailed thru high school acting like a 70's hippy .. No lie .. My sister used to sew me 'HALTER TOPS' .. CUZ they were no where to be found in the 80's .. and i wore them with pride, ripped jeans - permed long hair .. pair of moccasins .. no SOCKS .. Size 26 or 28 LEVI's. OH MY LORD ..

Come to think of it .. I was very POPULAR .. not what you think .. I was a virgin until I was 18 years of age.

I graduated high school in 3 years not 4 years .. Great grades, and lots of credits.

Chen .. I do remember using Kotex pads with a BELT!!!!!! My mother would not buy me tampons !! Remember those STUPID BELTS belts. I did get smart and had a girlfriend buy me tampons. LOL .. I was a FREE SPIRIT.!!!

Vicki Sam

Clothes...I remember
    Clothes...I remember bell-bottoms, and wearing leather vests with fringe, Indian jewelry (not Native American, but from India) lots of bracelets with tiny jingling bells, and big hoop earrings, and White lipstick! My dad said no boy would ever, ever kiss me with no color lips! He was probably praying that he was right...he wasn't, of course!

I stayed a virgin until I was 19, almost 20. The then Love Of My Life was in the AirForce, and it was his first time too. He had an apartment not 5 minutes from my house, and my parents never knew about it! They didn't know he had moved out of the barracks.

On July 20th 1969, we watched, on a tiny black and white TV with rabbit ears, the first Moon Landing in his little apartment. It was nighttime in Germany, and we imagined we could see them on the moon! My old boyfriend and I still know each other; we email and talk on the phone now and then. But he always, always sends me a 'Happy Anniversary" text message on July 20th. This year, I am sure will be no different. And we haven't seen one another since 1971~ it's nice to keep our long-time ( and now old!) friends!

Hugs,
    Chen♥