Flashback!

Options

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Fun thread!
    I love these trips down memory lane. Traci, I am an 80's girl, too, and remember all that glitter and Madonna-style clothes and hair. I remember when everyone used phone booths and it was 20 cents to make a call. I remember when the movies were $3.50. I remember crimping my hair and trying to get my bangs as high as possible with lots of hairspray. I remember getting 5 perms from the age of 12 to 17. Favorite sitcoms were Growing Pains, Family Ties, and the Facts of Life. Remember the young Leonardo DiCaprio on Growing Pains and George Clooney on Facts of Life? Hee hee.

Mimi

Perms .. take me back -- fried dried hair - thought i was
    looking good .. I remember Growing Pain's and Fact's of Life with Miss Garrett and the girls. I drove around in a silver VW .. some would venture to say I was a hippie a decade late to the party .. ditching gym class to go off campus and smoke a dobie .. Yep .. I needed to be a Woodstock gal.

Peace and Free Love ..

Vicki Sam
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    i remember standing on the overpass as the beatles went by
    i grew up in chicago, and the expressway was not far from home (and school). when the beatles were heading downtown from o'hare airport, my sister and i made a huge sign from a bedsheet (boy, did we get in trouble for that) and held it over the railings as the beatle limo passed by.

we got the idea from our catholic grammar school when we all got to get out of class and walk to the expressway overpass and wave at president john f. kennedy's limo.

boy, do i feel old! (and in some ways i feel about 16!)
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

looking good .. I remember Growing Pain's and Fact's of Life with Miss Garrett and the girls. I drove around in a silver VW .. some would venture to say I was a hippie a decade late to the party .. ditching gym class to go off campus and smoke a dobie .. Yep .. I needed to be a Woodstock gal.

Peace and Free Love ..

Vicki Sam

LOL, Vicki Sam
    I thought I was rockin' the permed look, too. I even got one a day before my senior prom. I ended up with huge, tightly curled hair with that awful chemical smell all night. I love that your ditched school to smoke. I was not as hip. We ditched school to go to the local Taco Bell. LOL.

Mimi
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Cruising The Haight in '68,
    Cruising The Haight in '68, Janis Joplin's "Ball & Chain", Bell Bottom's, Tie Dyed T-Shirts, MaryJane..... I almost forgot Viet Nam, I had a friend engaged to a Navy Medic stationed at Oaknoll Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA. We loaded the car with girlfriends to go dance with patients. What a night, loved the guys enjoying life as much as possible after coming home without arms and legs. Never forget the Veteran....
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    mimivac said:

LOL, Vicki Sam
    I thought I was rockin' the permed look, too. I even got one a day before my senior prom. I ended up with huge, tightly curled hair with that awful chemical smell all night. I love that your ditched school to smoke. I was not as hip. We ditched school to go to the local Taco Bell. LOL.

Mimi

After one of my friends got
    After one of my friends got her hair permed, her b/f said "P-U! Your hair smells worse than a bad dream!"

Ok ladies of a certain age...Which Twin Had The Toni????

Hugs,
    Chen
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Mini skirts & boots, (nancy
    Mini skirts & boots, (nancy sinatra's song "These boots were made for Walking:"), teased hair, ski pants, yes I was in my prime in the 60's, and I'm in my late 60's now.

Presidential hopeful John f. Kennedy speaking at the Public Square in clevleand, Ohio across the street from the office building I worked in.

As a youngster tv shows, I Remember Mama with Peggy Wood, Make room for Daddy with Danny thomas, I Love Lucy of course everyone remembers that. There was the Ed Wynn show, the Colgate Hour on sunday evenings with Martin and Lewis. I remember crinoline skirts, poodle skirts, pony tails, and saddle shoes. I was born in Jan, 1943 and I also remember times with no television and just the radio. I also remember the big Band music, tommy dorsey, Glenn Miller, Guy lombardo. wow I'm really old.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Mini skirts & boots, (nancy
    Mini skirts & boots, (nancy sinatra's song "These boots were made for Walking:"), teased hair, ski pants, yes I was in my prime in the 60's, and I'm in my late 60's now.

Presidential hopeful John f. Kennedy speaking at the Public Square in clevleand, Ohio across the street from the office building I worked in.

As a youngster tv shows, I Remember Mama with Peggy Wood, Make room for Daddy with Danny thomas, I Love Lucy of course everyone remembers that. There was the Ed Wynn show, the Colgate Hour on sunday evenings with Martin and Lewis. I remember crinoline skirts, poodle skirts, pony tails, and saddle shoes. I was born in Jan, 1943 and I also remember times with no television and just the radio. I also remember the big Band music, tommy dorsey, Glenn Miller, Guy lombardo. wow I'm really old.

Your Not Old
    Natly, your not old, you just remember life when it was simpler, fresher, and family friendly. I miss all the old TV programs, raido shows (which I now get on Sirius radio) good music you could sing along with and understand the singers. What a time to be able to remember.
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    This sure does bring back
    This sure does bring back memories and a big grin on my face. For me, the Facts of Life, Growing Pains, oh and the Electric Company (I think that's what it was I just remember it was on PBS)... One thing I remember are the leg warmers along with the movie Flash Dance. Actually I still have mine, although they're stretched out a bit ;) I gave them to my 8 year old and she just loves to wear them.

Now talking with my 8 year old twins, it's funny because I remember when we didn't have a microwave (or it had the dial to turn) or when you actually had to get off the couch and change the TV. No remote. Or adjust the rabbit ears on the TV. I'm a gamer and I still have my original NES (Original Nintendo console) but remember my dad buying us PONG game console (I think that's the name it was like playing ping pong) and that was the greatest game back then.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Mohair
    No one's mentioned mohair sweaters. They were really long and fuzzy. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when we all wore them -- 1967, 68. Of course I remember all the other things mentioned, most very fondly. How did I get so old without growing up?? I'm not sure but it's a good thing.

This was really a great thread. thanks.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options

Mohair
    No one's mentioned mohair sweaters. They were really long and fuzzy. I think I was in 7th or 8th grade when we all wore them -- 1967, 68. Of course I remember all the other things mentioned, most very fondly. How did I get so old without growing up?? I'm not sure but it's a good thing.

Don't forget the girdles.
    Don't forget the girdles. Didn't have pantyhose. Belts for pads...OMG
  • chenheart
    Options
    Snowkitty said:

Don't forget the girdles.
    Don't forget the girdles. Didn't have pantyhose. Belts for pads...OMG

Garter Belts for nylons! And
    Garter Belts for nylons! And seeing the animated "You're a Woman Now" film by Kotex in the girls only health class~ and the "Oh Yes, Modess" ads! Looping those ends of the pads into the special belt...man o man!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Peace and Free Love ..

Vicki Sam

Mimi & VickiSam
    Just in case you've forgotten -- I DID rock the permed look! Please note Exhibit A, to your left...

<--

:-) Traci
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    chenheart said:

Garter Belts for nylons! And
    Garter Belts for nylons! And seeing the animated "You're a Woman Now" film by Kotex in the girls only health class~ and the "Oh Yes, Modess" ads! Looping those ends of the pads into the special belt...man o man!

Gross!
    I loathed that belt...
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Iron Butterfly....
    InnaGoddivida...or however it was spelled!!!

I went to a friends' house, and we drank Coca-cola (no, no cocain in it..) with aspirin. That was the closest I ever came to 'groovey'...

Hey! Maybe THAT's why I now like the green fairy!!!

BIG hugs, Kathi

Oh my gosh Kathy,My friends
    Oh my gosh Kathy,My friends and I did the same thing with Innagoddivida. Nothing happened with the coke and asprin, but I'm sure we thought it did. LOL
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

Gross!
    I loathed that belt...

Like the country song "It was a different world "
    Had to get up to change the channel on the TV, No water bottles, Every classroom said the pledge, No seat belts.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Like the country song "It was a different world "
    Had to get up to change the channel on the TV, No water bottles, Every classroom said the pledge, No seat belts.

All the stores were closed on Sunday!
    Making it truly a day of rest...
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    You gals are 'outtasight'!
    A few months ago, right after returning to work, I found that our immediate group of co-workers were all born in '53 (4 of us) and a lovely young woman of 22. She now not only knows who Bobby Sherman is, but has heard all his songs, thinks he was a hottie and admired my 16 magazine (the only one I saved) with Bobby in a speedo.

We all giggled like the girls we were (who still live in our hearts).

Traci - LOVE the photo - you did rock that 'do!

Ladies - my sisters - thank you all for the wonderful walk down memory lane. Keep 'em comin.

Sue
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    Options
    sea60 said:

All the stores were closed on Sunday!
    Making it truly a day of rest...

Someone should mention mini
    Someone should mention mini skirts with knee high socks and the black track shoes where the toes curled up. I then progressed to neon orange hip huggers and platform shoes.

I do remember the partirdge family was on against Monday night football. That was a tough decision.
    Television stations went off the air at midnight and would ask you to please stand by.

What about tv dinners in aluminum trays and perculator coffee pots.

Now that I really think about it , I glad that is behind me. :)
  • chenheart
    Options

Cruising The Haight in '68,
    Cruising The Haight in '68, Janis Joplin's "Ball & Chain", Bell Bottom's, Tie Dyed T-Shirts, MaryJane..... I almost forgot Viet Nam, I had a friend engaged to a Navy Medic stationed at Oaknoll Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA. We loaded the car with girlfriends to go dance with patients. What a night, loved the guys enjoying life as much as possible after coming home without arms and legs. Never forget the Veteran....

Which reminds me...I was a
    Which reminds me...I was a USO volunteer in Germany~ all of the guys were there on R&R from Nam. I now own ALL of the DVDs from the series China Beach~ it speaks to me on so many levels. Makes me cry to think about it.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options

Mohair

I wore a mohair sweater
    to a Simon & Garfunkel concert. Met them! Got autographs. Mohair was really itchy, though.

Sue