Prophalatic double mastecomy

Menda
Menda Member Posts: 128
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First I hope I spelled correctly. If not I am sorry. What is the usual hospital stay? My PS told me I could go home that same day. I am also having reconstruction at the same time. Your experiences please

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    My wife
    had a bilateral mastectomy no reconstruction or expanders and was in for 3+ day. They did say she might be able to go home the day after, but I would not think a bilateral would be considered day surgery.
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    overnight
    I had a mastectomy - rt breast - and sentinel lymph node biopsy - and stayed 1 night at the hospital - I definitely would NOT have wanted to go home that same day!
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    One night
    With my bilat and reconstruction, I stayed one night and was ready to go home the next afternoon. My feeling is that a "drive-through" mastectomy (no overnight stay) would not have been a good idea for me. Although I didn't have any complications, I needed help and support on the toilet, education about the drains and about lymphodema prevention, experience with which pain med was going to work best, check by the plastic surgeon, lots of rest. I was VERY woozy and had trouble remembering the info I was given, and this was the day after surgery.

Does your insurance have a say in whether you stay overnight or not? If you wanted to stay, could your PS code your medical orders so that insurance would pay?
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Seems fast to me
    I didn't have a bilateral Mast (a mod. rad. mast) nor did I have reconstruction but that seems a bit fast to be out. An overnight would seem more logical to me. My IBC was quite large with multi node involvement and I was in over night. Had been told that I'd be there at least one night and possibly 2. I was up and walking by 3 pm that afternoon - should have been earlier (and could have) but day aide never bothered. While on morphine - my O2 levels dropped a couple of times and BP dropped several times - at midnight I said no more IV morphine - give me other pain meds if you must. O2 levels and BP went back to norm.

Just my feelings but I do believe that major/invasive surgery should land you at least a night of medical observation. Just my feelings.

Susan
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Rague said:

Seems fast to me
    I didn't have a bilateral Mast (a mod. rad. mast) nor did I have reconstruction but that seems a bit fast to be out. An overnight would seem more logical to me. My IBC was quite large with multi node involvement and I was in over night. Had been told that I'd be there at least one night and possibly 2. I was up and walking by 3 pm that afternoon - should have been earlier (and could have) but day aide never bothered. While on morphine - my O2 levels dropped a couple of times and BP dropped several times - at midnight I said no more IV morphine - give me other pain meds if you must. O2 levels and BP went back to norm.

Just my feelings but I do believe that major/invasive surgery should land you at least a night of medical observation. Just my feelings.

Susan

MAY DEPEND ON YOUR INSURANCE
    I know with my insurance if my surgery had been in the A.M. they would have expected me to go home that day. Luckily I didn't go into surgery until after noon that day. My surgeon had said if I did go in the a.m. he would be sure to write it up in a way that I could stay overnite.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member

I know with my insurance if my surgery had been in the A.M. they would have expected me to go home that day. Luckily I didn't go into surgery until after noon that day. My surgeon had said if I did go in the a.m. he would be sure to write it up in a way that I could stay overnite.

I don't remember the exact
    I don't remember the exact time my surgery was. I got to hospital at 5 AM. I wasn't too 'there' by 6 when the anethesiologist and surgeon and the students/interns got there - I remember it all (seems like everybody from the nurses to all the Drs had students/interns with them) - just don't remeber the time frame after the first pills they gave me LOL Surgery was scheduled for 7.

Diffferent insurances do differ - I'm VA and they didn't question it at all as far as I know.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823

One night
    I had DMX with immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders and I went home the next day. They wanted me out by noon (insurance) but b/c I was really sick from the anesthesia it was 2 p.m., not noon the next day when I was released.

P.S. I think if your stay is in the hospital is 23 hours or less, that's technically considered same day surgery. Someone more knowledgeable than me can answer definitely, I think that is how it goes. Most insurance companies want you out within 23 hours (if it for masectomy, of course the flap surgery times are longer).
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

One night
    I had DMX with immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders and I went home the next day. They wanted me out by noon (insurance) but b/c I was really sick from the anesthesia it was 2 p.m., not noon the next day when I was released.

P.S. I think if your stay is in the hospital is 23 hours or less, that's technically considered same day surgery. Someone more knowledgeable than me can answer definitely, I think that is how it goes. Most insurance companies want you out within 23 hours (if it for masectomy, of course the flap surgery times are longer).

Depends on what kind of reconstruction
    Tram reconstruction 5 days.
    Good luck
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Menda, I had a small
    Menda, I had a lumpectomy, but, want to wish you good luck with your surgery.

Hugs, Megan
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Menda -
    My oncologist did tell me that the bilateral mastectomy is often done as an outpatient procedure (which shocked the fool out of me!!) My surgeon and plastic surgeon said that if you have tissue expanders put in, it can be tougher (which I did). The hospital and doctors really left it up to me when I thought I was ready to go home. I didn't get out of the recovery room until 7:30 PM so I wasn't interested in going that night but did go home about noon the next day. I might have stayed another day if it hadn't been for a snow storm we were having but wanted to get my family home/safe and I did fine there with the pain meds they gave me. Your insurance company may have guidelines that they use for stay but usually extending a hospital stay is considered if you are requiring injectable medications. Good luck - I hope it all goes well for you!

Chris
  • greyhoundluvr
    Menda -
    My oncologist did tell me that the bilateral mastectomy is often done as an outpatient procedure (which shocked the fool out of me!!) My surgeon and plastic surgeon said that if you have tissue expanders put in, it can be tougher (which I did). The hospital and doctors really left it up to me when I thought I was ready to go home. I didn't get out of the recovery room until 7:30 PM so I wasn't interested in going that night but did go home about noon the next day. I might have stayed another day if it hadn't been for a snow storm we were having but wanted to get my family home/safe and I did fine there with the pain meds they gave me. Your insurance company may have guidelines that they use for stay but usually extending a hospital stay is considered if you are requiring injectable medications. Good luck - I hope it all goes well for you!

Chris
  • greyhoundluvr
    Menda -

Chris
  • GenieM27
    GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
    Staying 1 night
    I'm having bilateral, auxillary node disection and reconstruction. I will be staying one night. My surgery will be approximately 5 hours, there is no way I will be able to go home the same day.

Hope all goes well with your surgery!
    Genie
  • camsgram
    camsgram Member Posts: 106
    I had BLM with
    I had BLM with reconstruction and went home the next morning and I was sooooooo ready to get home! I hope this is the case for you too. Just make sure YOU are ready. When is your surgery?
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    camsgram said:

I had BLM with
    I had BLM with reconstruction and went home the next morning and I was sooooooo ready to get home! I hope this is the case for you too. Just make sure YOU are ready. When is your surgery?

Menda,
    I know exactly how

Menda,

I know exactly how you feel. I had a bilater. mastec with tissue expanders. (8 weeks ago) At first I was told 3-5 days then 2-3 then 1 day. I was in shock. I got a letter stating that my insurance approved only one day. I called them (before my surgery) and I found out this is routine until your procedure. If you feel able to go home after one day, great. But if not, you should stay. I was in recovery longer than expected. My heart rate was very low (from the anesthesia) Then the drugs were making me nauseous so I could not eat. I shared this concern with my doctor. I think he thought I was just saying it ... in order to stay longer. I really was nauseous. I did say 3 days. I had to eat before they would let me leave. I would recommend that you share your concerns with your doctor. My reconstruction surgeon is the one that helped me the most.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    camsgram said:

I had BLM with

I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy with exspanders and lymphnode removal and i went in the morning of Nov 24th and stayed till the 26th and my doctor wanted me to stay one more night but it was Thanksgiving so they agreed to let me go...and i was still so drugged up i didnt even remember Thanksgiving!
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Bilat. Mastectomy
    Hi Menda,

I haven't been on in a very long time, but your post caught my eye. I had a mast., then chemo and rads, then evntually the other prophylactic mast. with expanders. Those 2 were almost 2 years apart though, and with each it was just an overnight stay. Last month I had the final implants and that was just an outpatient procedure at the hospital.
    If you really feel unsure and overwhelmed, ask your doc and insurance if you can get one or two visits from a home care nurse. They'll come in and show you how to take care of all the stuff (drains, incisions, pain control) that you were too out of it to hear or understand when you were just out of the operating room.
    Good luck. I feel like it was the best decision I've ever made---AND I ended up with a new set of "twins" that are no longer sagging LOL!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    NorcalJ said:

Bilat. Mastectomy
    Hi Menda,

I haven't been on in a very long time, but your post caught my eye. I had a mast., then chemo and rads, then evntually the other prophylactic mast. with expanders. Those 2 were almost 2 years apart though, and with each it was just an overnight stay. Last month I had the final implants and that was just an outpatient procedure at the hospital.
    If you really feel unsure and overwhelmed, ask your doc and insurance if you can get one or two visits from a home care nurse. They'll come in and show you how to take care of all the stuff (drains, incisions, pain control) that you were too out of it to hear or understand when you were just out of the operating room.
    Good luck. I feel like it was the best decision I've ever made---AND I ended up with a new set of "twins" that are no longer sagging LOL!

Hey NorCal! How nice to see
    Hey NorCal! How nice to see you on the boards~ it has been ages, hasn't it? We are headed up to Lake Tahoe in a couple of hours, stopping first in Sacramento to see family. I will wave in your general direction! :-)

Happy 4th!

Chen♥
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Menda,
    Menda, I had bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction last week. In went in on the 22nd and came home the 24th. My surgery didn't start until after 10 am lasting 4 hours. However, I was in recovery until 9pm due to oxygen issues. I felt ready to go home but didn't leave at the 10am discharge. My paperwork wasn't done until after 1pm. Good luck and hope you do well:)
    Char
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    cahjah75 said:

Menda,
    Menda, I had bilateral mastectomies without reconstruction last week. In went in on the 22nd and came home the 24th. My surgery didn't start until after 10 am lasting 4 hours. However, I was in recovery until 9pm due to oxygen issues. I felt ready to go home but didn't leave at the 10am discharge. My paperwork wasn't done until after 1pm. Good luck and hope you do well:)
    Char

i had prophylactic bilateral
    i had prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expanders and was in 3 nights/3 1/2 days. No way was i ready to come out before that time physically. And my surgery went very well.

I'd stay as long as your insurance will pay for. Def 2 nights minimum in case of any complications from anaesthetic etc.

Good luck