just found out- Chemo starts this Friday!!!

Options
TulsaMomof3
TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just found out I start Chemo this Friday doing 4 rounds of TC, once every three weeks. I have a big 4th of July party to go to Sunday, I am wondering if you think I will make it? Wow now I have to go back and read all the threads on what to expect and how to prepare!

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    My experience
    I had my first chemo treatment Wednesday, June 23rd. I didn't know what to expect either. I was pleasantly surprised. I guess my worst day was Saturday. I was just drained. I don't think the 100 degree heat helped. Plus that is the day that my tastebuds went crazy. I was starving, but coulnd't taste anything. Hopefully, the party is at someone's home, and you can relax on the sofa, if need be. Good luck to you.
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Wishing you all the best!
    I'm right behind you! I'm suppose to start hopefully by next week, for a total of 8 rounds, 2 weeks apart. There is one posting, I think it's titled Chemo side effects, which was very helpful. We will all experience different side effects (and hopefully not much at all), but I really got a lot of helpful information out of that posting, so I feel better prepared for any side effects that I might have.
    I hope all goes well in your road to recovery!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Wishing you all the best!
    I'm right behind you! I'm suppose to start hopefully by next week, for a total of 8 rounds, 2 weeks apart. There is one posting, I think it's titled Chemo side effects, which was very helpful. We will all experience different side effects (and hopefully not much at all), but I really got a lot of helpful information out of that posting, so I feel better prepared for any side effects that I might have.
    I hope all goes well in your road to recovery!

Good luck to you on chemo.
    Good luck to you on chemo. I hope that you feel well for July 4th celebration!

Hugs, Debby
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Sorry to hear you'll have to
    Sorry to hear you'll have to do chemo. Did you end up in the study? I had same type of chemo..Had a lot of nausea but felt better by day 3.. But of course everyone is different..
    So hope you'll be able to attend your party.....Blessings...
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    waffle8 said:

Sorry to hear you'll have to
    Sorry to hear you'll have to do chemo. Did you end up in the study? I had same type of chemo..Had a lot of nausea but felt better by day 3.. But of course everyone is different..
    So hope you'll be able to attend your party.....Blessings...

Thanks Waffle, Yes I am in
    Thanks Waffle, Yes I am in the study, I feel really good about it. How long did it take for your hair to start coming out? Did it cause weight gain? I am now running around like crazy! I didn't know it would start in 4 days!
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options

Thanks Waffle, Yes I am in the study, I feel really good about it. How long did it take for your hair to start coming out? Did it cause weight gain? I am now running around like crazy! I didn't know it would start in 4 days!

Tulsamom,That all happened
    Tulsamom,That all happened fast for you too....It was a good thing for me less time to worry.... Yes i think it is a great thing the study..My hair started to fall out right before second treatment but I actually still have hair The doc. keeps saying I will loose it but I only have 1 more chemo to go....I didn't gain weight but I have been trying to clean up my diet....
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    waffle8 said:

Tulsamom,That all happened
    Tulsamom,That all happened fast for you too....It was a good thing for me less time to worry.... Yes i think it is a great thing the study..My hair started to fall out right before second treatment but I actually still have hair The doc. keeps saying I will loose it but I only have 1 more chemo to go....I didn't gain weight but I have been trying to clean up my diet....

My experience was very
    My experience was very surprising. I thought i would be real sick and wouldnt be able to move. I took my nausea meds reguardless if i felt the nausea come on or not. If i remember i think it was about the third of fourth day after i was very tired. Keep plenty of fluids in you. Drinking lots of water helps and take that nausea meds and steroids they give you. They saved me

good luck
    Laura
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Will be thinking about you
    Will be thinking about you and sending prayers.

I will be doing Herceptin on Friday. I do Herceptin every three weeks and won't be done with it until Dec 10.

Gentle Hugs

Donna
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    As long as you're sitting and relaxing
    I think you'll be okay. Typically, it's the 2-3 day AFTER Chemo that you'll feel most tired. Every body is different but I think if you're taking it easy and not working hard at anything, you should be good to go!

Happy 4th to you and your family.

Blessings and hugs,

Sylvia
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi tulsamomof3
    Sounds like

Hi tulsamomof3
    Sounds like we had almost the same thing only difference is mine was 6 rounds. Id have my treatments on mondays and my worst days were wed and thurs but everyone reacts different.
    Good luck with chemo, let us know how it goes and hope you make it to your party!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    TulsaMom, I had the exact
    TulsaMom, I had the exact same cocktail and for the same duration. Will you also have the Nuelasta shot the day after your infusion? I had my treatments on Thursday, went back on Friday for the Nuelasta shot and really seemed to tolerate it pretty well. I did drink a lot of water and had no nausea at all. The Nuelasta shot caused some bone pain in my lower back and legs but was not too bad and I was able to control it with Extra Strength Tylenol. This typically started on Sunday evening. I continued to exercise throughout my treatment. I'll be the first to admit that some days were better than others but I also believe that the exercise helped to maintain my energy level. We are all different and I hope that you will tolerate these chemicals well. I do think you will be able to attend your 4th of July party. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

As long as you're sitting and relaxing
    I think you'll be okay. Typically, it's the 2-3 day AFTER Chemo that you'll feel most tired. Every body is different but I think if you're taking it easy and not working hard at anything, you should be good to go!

Happy 4th to you and your family.

Blessings and hugs,

Sylvia

Wishing you good luck on
    Wishing you good luck on Friday!

Hugs, Jan
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options

Tulsamomof3
    This 1st treatment is very scary cause you just dont know how your body is going to react. My 1st was back in Nov 09, if I remember correctly, the 1st one is very long, expect to be there between 4-6 hours. I too had the Nuelasta shot the day after every treatment. On the 1st treatment, I felt pretty good the 1st 2 days, it was at the 3rd I notice I was not feeling to good, and thats how it was during the next 6 months. It took me a couple of treaments to figure out what worked best for me, went thru 3 diff kinds of nausea meds till I found the one that work, together with my own little trick I learned thru my 2 pregnancy & dealt with horrible nausea. I ate every 2-3 hours, even if it was crakers or plain fruit. Even in the middle of the night, if I felt nausea kicking in, i got up and ate something. This way I took less medicine then prescribe. Bottom line, I think you will be ok for the 4th. Also regarding hair, by the 3rd wk right after Thanksgiving after chemo it started coming out. Before christmas it was all gone. Weight gain? Unfortunately, in my case, yes. i gained 22 pounds over all during 6months. Finished chemo in March, hair is starting to come in. The weight is harder to loss cause I'm not a big fan of exercise, but I have lost some. Good luck!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Hi tulsamomof3
    Sounds like

Hi tulsamomof3
    Sounds like we had almost the same thing only difference is mine was 6 rounds. Id have my treatments on mondays and my worst days were wed and thurs but everyone reacts different.
    Good luck with chemo, let us know how it goes and hope you make it to your party!

I didn't have chemo, but,
    I didn't have chemo, but, want to say good luck!

Hugs, Diane
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

TulsaMom, I had the exact
    TulsaMom, I had the exact same cocktail and for the same duration. Will you also have the Nuelasta shot the day after your infusion? I had my treatments on Thursday, went back on Friday for the Nuelasta shot and really seemed to tolerate it pretty well. I did drink a lot of water and had no nausea at all. The Nuelasta shot caused some bone pain in my lower back and legs but was not too bad and I was able to control it with Extra Strength Tylenol. This typically started on Sunday evening. I continued to exercise throughout my treatment. I'll be the first to admit that some days were better than others but I also believe that the exercise helped to maintain my energy level. We are all different and I hope that you will tolerate these chemicals well. I do think you will be able to attend your 4th of July party. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Just wanted to let you know
    Just wanted to let you know that my experience with chemo hasn't been as bad as I dreaded before I started them. I take Cytoxan and Taxotere once a week and just had my 8th treatment today. I was concerned about the nausea but it wasn't too bad. Just be sure to take your nausea meds the first day or two, even if you don't feel sick. I didn't have to have shots until after the 3rd treatment for my white blood cells, but that has also improved. And as everyone told me, drink plenty of water and I did better eating small meals more often instead of large meals. You should not notice much difference the day of treatment, in fact my husband and I usually eat out at a restaurant after my treatment, then take it easy a couple of days and let my body rest. I do have some side effects but so far its been doable. I'm having my sons and their families over for the 4th, so I plan on having an easy meal of grilled hamburgers, baked beans, bought potatoe salad and maybe a bought strawberry dessert or cheesecake. Hope you make your 4th party and your chemo isn't hard on you. Let us know how you do.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Just wanted to let you know that my experience with chemo hasn't been as bad as I dreaded before I started them. I take Cytoxan and Taxotere once a week and just had my 8th treatment today. I was concerned about the nausea but it wasn't too bad. Just be sure to take your nausea meds the first day or two, even if you don't feel sick. I didn't have to have shots until after the 3rd treatment for my white blood cells, but that has also improved. And as everyone told me, drink plenty of water and I did better eating small meals more often instead of large meals. You should not notice much difference the day of treatment, in fact my husband and I usually eat out at a restaurant after my treatment, then take it easy a couple of days and let my body rest. I do have some side effects but so far its been doable. I'm having my sons and their families over for the 4th, so I plan on having an easy meal of grilled hamburgers, baked beans, bought potatoe salad and maybe a bought strawberry dessert or cheesecake. Hope you make your 4th party and your chemo isn't hard on you. Let us know how you do.

Wishing you the best of luck
    Wishing you the best of luck with chemo and praying for no side effects for you!

You have so many chemo grad sisters here to help you with it.

♥ Kylez ♥
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Sounds like a plan
    Sunrae, I totally agree with everything you said. I was really afraid before my first treatment, as I didn't know what to expect and didn't find this site until after the treatment. I do have one question, what time should we be over on the 4th? LOL
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options
    plan to party
    as you have read, side effects vary with all of us. My suggestion is to plan on attending your party........likely you will be fine to go. I found that it was important to have some fun things to look forward to during the chemo journey. After my first cycle, I was able to attend functions.....for me the side effects were cumulative and got enhanced as more treatments occurred. Even now, for me (3 wk. cycles), I know the 3rd week I am feeling pretty good, so I just plan some outings and fun events during that week. Hope all goes well for you and you can enjoy the holiday weekend! Remember, we are all thinking of you and offering you our cyber support and hugs.
  • PNinMN
    PNinMN Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently
    But, I think you should be able to make it. I usually don't feel real tired until the 4th or 5th day after chemo. Just take it easy and take your anti-nausea meds and eat some crackers even if you feel a little sick to your stomach. It is a lot easier to nip the nausea before you start throwing up because your body won't keep the meds down then. Good luck to you!
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Partying
    My first chemo was Mon. 6/21 and I felt ok till Thurs. (day 4) when I think the decadron had worn off. Everyone reacts differently but I would say if you feel ok, go to the party , have fun,and just listen to your body - rest when you feel tired. Good luck.