Options
2»

Comments

• EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Options

when does hair start coming back?
    Hi ladies,
    First time poster here! I am going to start chemo next week and, like everyone else, and concerned about my hair. How soon did everyone's hair start coming back? I am assuming it won't return until after I finish chemo (I only have to have 4 treatments - yeah!), but just curious the average time it take for it to start reappearing.
    Thanks everyone!
    tropical jill

I had TAC every three weeks.
    I had TAC every three weeks. My hair started falling out literally on the 10th day. My last treatment was 7/12/10 so next treatment would have been 8/3ish. My hair started sprouting mid to end of Sept which sounds pretty typical from what I have been reading here.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

when does hair start coming back?
    Hi ladies,
    First time poster here! I am going to start chemo next week and, like everyone else, and concerned about my hair. How soon did everyone's hair start coming back? I am assuming it won't return until after I finish chemo (I only have to have 4 treatments - yeah!), but just curious the average time it take for it to start reappearing.
    Thanks everyone!
    tropical jill

UPDATE!!!
    I am 17 months out from chemo...had my fifth haircut yesterday! Had my usual short almost pixie cut trying to finally get rid of the frizzy chemo curls..we'll see...my hair started growing about 4 weeks after chemo ended...ended in August of 09 and I was wig free in Jan. 10... Once it started growing there was no stopping it! I, too, had 4 chemos...my hair started coming out exactly on day 14 after the first treatment..I had it buzzed first then I shaved my head on day15..I actually started wearing my wig before I even had it buzzed..wanted people to get used to it..myself too...I was not the wig free, bald type...I didn't want the " pity looks"...but I never wore it around the house..Keats a cute scarf,etc.
    I know you think you'll be bald forever but it grows back fast
    Best wishes as you start your treatment...it's all so very scary but you can do it!!!!
    Nancy
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

UPDATE!!!
    I am 17 months out from chemo...had my fifth haircut yesterday! Had my usual short almost pixie cut trying to finally get rid of the frizzy chemo curls..we'll see...my hair started growing about 4 weeks after chemo ended...ended in August of 09 and I was wig free in Jan. 10... Once it started growing there was no stopping it! I, too, had 4 chemos...my hair started coming out exactly on day 14 after the first treatment..I had it buzzed first then I shaved my head on day15..I actually started wearing my wig before I even had it buzzed..wanted people to get used to it..myself too...I was not the wig free, bald type...I didn't want the " pity looks"...but I never wore it around the house..Keats a cute scarf,etc.
    I know you think you'll be bald forever but it grows back fast
    Best wishes as you start your treatment...it's all so very scary but you can do it!!!!
    Nancy

2 months for me
    after last chemo until I started to sprout. It does grow fast tho. I'm now 4 1/2 months post chemo, but I won't go topless yet. My hair is thin, fine, and gray and my scalp is still very visible because the hair is too short to lay down and cover. It won't be long tho. I can see that it's curly, but it had a lot of wave prior to chemo.

It does feel like a long time to be bald, but I know it will be behind me very soon. I've actually liked wearing beautiful scarves and hats and see many women with hair wearing them.

Suzanne