Who has chemo curls?????

MAJW
MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been meaning to post this for quite some time........for those of us who now have hair after chemo, I am curious as to how your hair came in....My hair, pre chemo,ended chemo end of last August......I kept it in a short layered cut, always....hair was dark brown....as it started to return it was straight, like before....but SILVER and brown, mostly silver, on top and the sides, with the back being my natural dark brown....as it grew it started getting curly, and I do mean curly! It is now about 4 inches long and when I say kinky curly, I mean KINKY CURLY! My oncologist said it may stay this way, but usually after about 18 months it will start reverting back to the way it was pre chemo....I know one woman who's hair came back red......she said there's not a red head in her gene pool! I have yet to have a haircut...can't bring myself to have sissors any where near it....I think most know what I mean about that....So as it grows even longer I will be curious to see if it starts to straighten...I am thinking that if I had kept it short,instead of having it trimmed often as before, perhaps cutting it would have cut the curl out.....Who knows? I do know this is the easier "hairdo" I have ever had........wash and wear!

Just curious as to how your's grew back...

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Curly!
    I've been out of chemo since October and I have a nice head of hair, except.... nothing like I had before! Came in all salt and pepper, curly as curly can be (I've always had a lot of body but not like this!!) and very, very thick. I've had a few haircuts but nothing gets rid of the curl! And this humidity!! I know I shouldn't complain because it sure beats my bald head (LOL). I agree, easiest haircut I've ever had!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I did have chemo curls at
    I did have chemo curls at first and gradually straightened out. But that period of time when it was changing it was some wild hair! Stuck out all over the place. Then it developed back to what I had before. Exactly.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Mine came in curly, too
    I don't have your patience and have had it cut many, many times since it was an inch long! Maybe that's why my hair is still barely below the ear. LOL. But even after cutting it, the curl came back every time, though less pronounced. It's now just kind of wavy. I really like straight hair, so I regularly have it flat ironed at a salon. I love how smooth and straight they can get it. In a way, it's my dream hair.

Mimi
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    mimivac said:

Mine came in curly, too
    I don't have your patience and have had it cut many, many times since it was an inch long! Maybe that's why my hair is still barely below the ear. LOL. But even after cutting it, the curl came back every time, though less pronounced. It's now just kind of wavy. I really like straight hair, so I regularly have it flat ironed at a salon. I love how smooth and straight they can get it. In a way, it's my dream hair.

Mimi

I never had a curl in my
    I never had a curl in my life except for perms and it has come back curly. now I know why people where hats. I have to admit it is convienent to wash. I am going to the salon that buzzed my head and made my wig next week. they are going to give me advice on products, trim perhaps, and color it with an organic coloring. My hair color is nothing like it was before. but as others have said just happy to have hair!!!
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    I do! I do!
    My hair is full of body - when I put gel in it, it gets all kinds of curly. Tomorrow I'm having my first official trim by a professional (I've been wacking at it to get it more even). Then we're going to play with product. I don't want to do any coloring so I hope my normal hair color decides to come back at some point. My hair was pretty wavy before - I wore it chin length so the heaviness of my hair would tame the wave. Now I think I'm going to just keep it short at least through the summer and let the waves roll!!! :-)

Beth
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    BethInAz said:

I do! I do!
    My hair is full of body - when I put gel in it, it gets all kinds of curly. Tomorrow I'm having my first official trim by a professional (I've been wacking at it to get it more even). Then we're going to play with product. I don't want to do any coloring so I hope my normal hair color decides to come back at some point. My hair was pretty wavy before - I wore it chin length so the heaviness of my hair would tame the wave. Now I think I'm going to just keep it short at least through the summer and let the waves roll!!! :-)

Beth

totally different
    My hair was straight as could be and ash blonde. Its now very curly and dark brown. I just hope it grows down and not out. I dont want to look like a q tip!!

laura
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Mine is still pretty
    Mine is still pretty straight. Maybe has just a little wave to it. Came back same color and same thickness. Even short I have a lot of hair.

Hugs

Donna
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Wow!
    Mine came back wavy (and my hair is straight) so I was pretty excited! As it grew, it became straight again and now it looks like it did before my cancer.

I'm amazed that some people have a whole different hair color!

However it comes back...I'm just glad it did :D

Blessings and hugs to you!

Sylvia
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    My hair has always been pin
    My hair has always been pin straight and has come back with somewhat of a wave in it. I have had 2 trims so far. Due to all this new wave and as short as my hair is, it wanted to really poof up on top. I would have made an excellent dust mop. My hairdresser "textured" the top so it's not as poofy. As she put it,"you are now at the spray and tuck stage". I think it's more like the "light bulb" stage that Chen discussed in one of her posts. But, like all my wonderful pink sisters have said.....AT LEAST I HAVE HAIR!!!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    MAJW
    I have to admit, I too am very curious how my hair will come in. So far it's too short to tell, finished Chemo in March. But I have notice a lot of gray. My hair was naturally curly and very long before and Im afraid of it coming in Kinky. You see, I'm Puertorican and kinky hair runs in the family as it is. But I guess, if it does come in kinky curly I can always flat iron it straight and be happy to have hair again.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Chemo Curls too
    My hair used to be slightly wavy, now I have a head full of chemo curls. It's about 2 - 3 inches long and curly all over. Very wash and wear. Great for the summer. Color came back salt and pepper, but I can't remember what it was before cause I colored it for so long.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896

Chemo Curls too
    My hair used to be slightly wavy, now I have a head full of chemo curls. It's about 2 - 3 inches long and curly all over. Very wash and wear. Great for the summer. Color came back salt and pepper, but I can't remember what it was before cause I colored it for so long.

Curls everywhere!
    I finished chemo last Sept and mine came back CURLY! It had always been thick and wavey - nothing close to like this. It is salt & pepper and so easy - although sometimes I think it looks way too "gramma" - even though I am a gramma! I haven't cut mine yet - I have fun wearing headbands and clips trying to look like I'm doing something with it - I don't even comb it, if I do, it looks like a huge big puff! Whenever I start to complain, I stop and remember how hard it was being bald and instead think, "I LOVE this hair" I'm so glad to have it back again!
  • jesshoy
    jesshoy Member Posts: 1

Curls everywhere!
    I finished chemo last Sept and mine came back CURLY! It had always been thick and wavey - nothing close to like this. It is salt & pepper and so easy - although sometimes I think it looks way too "gramma" - even though I am a gramma! I haven't cut mine yet - I have fun wearing headbands and clips trying to look like I'm doing something with it - I don't even comb it, if I do, it looks like a huge big puff! Whenever I start to complain, I stop and remember how hard it was being bald and instead think, "I LOVE this hair" I'm so glad to have it back again!

Chemo curls!
    Now I know why people who have curly hair are always compaining about it! Mine came back super curly, which for 9 months or so has been great, just put a little product in, swish it around and you're good. Now it has gotten to the point of unruliness, but I am leary of cutting it because I am so darn happy to have hair! Does it last? Am I going to be curly from now on or is it a fleeting thing that I should enjoy?
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    jesshoy said:

Chemo curls!
    Now I know why people who have curly hair are always compaining about it! Mine came back super curly, which for 9 months or so has been great, just put a little product in, swish it around and you're good. Now it has gotten to the point of unruliness, but I am leary of cutting it because I am so darn happy to have hair! Does it last? Am I going to be curly from now on or is it a fleeting thing that I should enjoy?

I have heard it goes back.
    I have heard it goes back. some people keep their curls. as my hair gets longer it is less curly. but I had stick straight hair before. so the wash and wear is one positve side effect! i use morocan oil/creme and it really helps. I have trimmed it a couple of times to make a shape and this has been good too. although I get how you dont want to cut any of it!
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    I have curls
    My hair started coming back in June. It is growing fast, but not fast enough(lol.) It came back a lot darker & very curly. I've had straight hair my entire life, so I'm a little perplexed as to how to style these curls. Of course, I haven't had a cut, but everyone tells me I need to get it shaped. I scared of scissors...lol
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Working the Pixie Curl Look
    My last chemo was in Jan 2010. When my hair started sprouting back, it was coarse and straight. As it grew out, the curl came through full force. I have had it cut at least 3 times since last year. My hair is naturally coarse and wavy. I am guessing this is how my hair would look if it were my decision to wear it this short.

I am glad it's back and I no longer have to contend with wearing that dratted Steve Perry wig. I am having fun with it, and put mouse to work with my new short 'do. The pharmacist, upon seeing me, said I looked like a baby doll. Ahhh... I laughed, but was happy to get that compliment as this has been one heck of a roller coaster and I am just glad to be here with my family, friends, and you dear Sisters!

Take care, God bless.
    BL
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    I love my chemo curls!
    Mine was wavy in some places, a little curly in the back but it came back very curly and I loved it! I did not however love the salt and pepper color it became. Now that its grown out quite a bit, the curl is still there but just the lower half. The upper part is the same as my original hair, so I have half and half, like a perm that has grown out. I still love the curls. Wish they would stay. Once I cut it they will be gone. Haven't had the urge to cut it yet.
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    elm3544 said:

I love my chemo curls!
    Mine was wavy in some places, a little curly in the back but it came back very curly and I loved it! I did not however love the salt and pepper color it became. Now that its grown out quite a bit, the curl is still there but just the lower half. The upper part is the same as my original hair, so I have half and half, like a perm that has grown out. I still love the curls. Wish they would stay. Once I cut it they will be gone. Haven't had the urge to cut it yet.

hair
    I refer to myself as a chia pet..lol But like everyone else I am just so happy to have hair.....I started out saying I wasn't getting a haircut ever again but that didn't last long..my curls have a mind of there own and it is darker then before treatment....
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Pre-chemotherapy I had honey
    Pre-chemotherapy I had honey blonde straight hair that took forever to get wavy. I love wavy hair. Anyway, mine came back super curly...little orphan Annie curly but a cinnamon color. It's about 4 inches now ( had several cuts) and the waves are pronounced! It's my favorite hair ever! I don't want straight hair again...in the FL humidity this works great for me!!! Pitt
  • tropical jill
    tropical jill Member Posts: 1
    pitt said:

Pre-chemotherapy I had honey
    Pre-chemotherapy I had honey blonde straight hair that took forever to get wavy. I love wavy hair. Anyway, mine came back super curly...little orphan Annie curly but a cinnamon color. It's about 4 inches now ( had several cuts) and the waves are pronounced! It's my favorite hair ever! I don't want straight hair again...in the FL humidity this works great for me!!! Pitt

when does hair start coming back?
    Hi ladies,
    First time poster here! I am going to start chemo next week and, like everyone else, and concerned about my hair. How soon did everyone's hair start coming back? I am assuming it won't return until after I finish chemo (I only have to have 4 treatments - yeah!), but just curious the average time it take for it to start reappearing.
    Thanks everyone!
    tropical jill