WHY?

Options

Comments

• EdnaM
    EdnaM Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I haven't experienced
    I haven't experienced anything but good responses to anything I've questioned. Always, responses have been "this is what I experienced" and never "This is what it will be". Believe me our sisters have been a God send to me on several occasions when I've been close to a panic situation. I can only appreciate and thank each one for sharing "their experiences".
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I burned also and had a
    I burned also and had a radical modified mastectomy so I was flat. They had to give me two weeks off to heal before finishing the last week. Just make sure the doctor looks at the site every week to keep up with what is going on. Mine didn't look, just asked how I was doing and I always said "OK". I didn't have a clue what it should look like or what it looked like when getting bad. So he/she should be checking it.

I did use the creams
    I did use the creams throughout rads. I was given 3 different ones to use by the CCI. I had no burning until the very end. I had 'tanned and freckled' - but no signs of burning at all til after the 23rd rad (I had 25 - no boosters) and then just a bit pink maybe. I saw Dr weekly and techs checked area well daily. The 25th one - it was a very mild sunburn but the next day I was blistered over the entire area. It took 6 weeks for the last scabs to come off the deepest areas - it was not a bad 'sunburn' - it was a bad burn. Thankfully, the deepest burns were in an area under my arm and to the back where there is no feeling from surgery so I didn't feel the worst of the pain. What I did feel was bad enough - I was on oxycodon to begin with and then Vicodan for the burns I could feel across my chest and up my neck - yeah - I've got some 'good' scars. Dr says I burned worse than he's ever done and does not understand why there were no indications that I was burning that bad and why it happened so fast.

Does that mean everyone else is going to burn like that - Hades NO! But it can happen no matter how much to try to prevent it.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Rague said:

I did use the creams
    I did use the creams throughout rads. I was given 3 different ones to use by the CCI. I had no burning until the very end. I had 'tanned and freckled' - but no signs of burning at all til after the 23rd rad (I had 25 - no boosters) and then just a bit pink maybe. I saw Dr weekly and techs checked area well daily. The 25th one - it was a very mild sunburn but the next day I was blistered over the entire area. It took 6 weeks for the last scabs to come off the deepest areas - it was not a bad 'sunburn' - it was a bad burn. Thankfully, the deepest burns were in an area under my arm and to the back where there is no feeling from surgery so I didn't feel the worst of the pain. What I did feel was bad enough - I was on oxycodon to begin with and then Vicodan for the burns I could feel across my chest and up my neck - yeah - I've got some 'good' scars. Dr says I burned worse than he's ever done and does not understand why there were no indications that I was burning that bad and why it happened so fast.

Does that mean everyone else is going to burn like that - Hades NO! But it can happen no matter how much to try to prevent it.

mine didn't do that. It
    mine didn't do that. It worked up to it. They were changing techs all the time so I didn't see the same ones every day. Most didn't say anything because, I think, they were assuming the doc was watching. But one day I got a new tech who said she thought the doctor should check me. That's when he looked. Mine wasn't a bad sunburn either. In fact after the two weeks of healing, the doctor said he was really worried and the factor that I was younger (52) was probably why I healed so fast. I think I scared the s*** out of him. I'll probably be the one to say, "I'm ok." the moment before I die. Maybe I should put, "I told you I was ok but did you have to believe me?" on my tombstone.

I saw a joke that said, On a tombstone was written: "I told you I was sick!"
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT
    THIS BOARD AND THE EXPERIENCES OF EVERYONE HAS HELPED ME BEYOND BELIEF GET THROUGH THIS PAST 14 MONTHS.....IF I HAD A QUESTION, THERE WAS ALWAYS SOMEONE TO ANSWER, BASED ON "THEIR EXPERIENCE".........WHEN I FIRST FOUND THIS SITE, MY FIRST QUESTION WAS ABOUT THE NEEDLE LOCALIZATION PROCEDURE THAT I HAD TO HAVE BEFORE MY LUMPECTOMY......I WAS REALLY SCARED ABOUT THIS......I HAD VISIONS OF A COAT HANGER.......HAD MANY,MANY RESPONSES OF WHICH ALL WERE HELPFUL....SOME SAID IT HURT, OTHERS SAID IT WAS NO BIG DEAL.......FROM THEN ON I CAME TO THIS SITE FOR INFORMATION AND SUPPORT.......NOTHING LIKE TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS "BEEN THERE DONE THAT!" I THINK EVERYONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO TAKE WHAT IS OFFERED AND KNOW THAT IT IS BASED SOLEY ON THAT PERSON'S EXPERIENCE.......JUST AS THERE ARE MANY, MANY TYPES OF BC THERE WILL BE AS MANY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES WITH SURGERY, CHEMO, RADIATION, ETC....THERE'S ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS, RECCOMENDATIONS, ETC....WE, AS INDIVIDUALS, MUST DO WHAT IS BEST FOR OURSELF......AGAIN, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SITE.......FULL OF CARING WOMEN WHO ARE FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AND ONLY WANT TO HELP OTHERS WHO ARE FOLLOWING IN OUR FOOTSTEPS....

PEACE BE WITH US ALL...
    NANCY
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    waffle8 said:

Bad Burns
    Hey Susan, Sorry about subject change... just wondering if you consider yourself big busted? I am nervous about radiation The nurse said when you are larger size you tend to burn more?

Waffle8
    I am no authority but I am doing my boosts now. I am fairly large busted and very fair skinned. I am truly an exception. I have not had much if any reaction to rads. No blisters, No peeling, No itching, No redness. My rad onc, the nurses and the techs are all amazed. The only lotion I had to use was the aloe vera gel. I have four boosters left. I will be done on Friday. I mentioned to my onc yesterday about being told by the nurses that I, because of my fair skin and large breasts, would burn. He told me "Don't believe what you are told. You are all different." and some of us are very very lucky.

Hugs

Donna
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT
    THIS BOARD AND THE EXPERIENCES OF EVERYONE HAS HELPED ME BEYOND BELIEF GET THROUGH THIS PAST 14 MONTHS.....IF I HAD A QUESTION, THERE WAS ALWAYS SOMEONE TO ANSWER, BASED ON "THEIR EXPERIENCE".........WHEN I FIRST FOUND THIS SITE, MY FIRST QUESTION WAS ABOUT THE NEEDLE LOCALIZATION PROCEDURE THAT I HAD TO HAVE BEFORE MY LUMPECTOMY......I WAS REALLY SCARED ABOUT THIS......I HAD VISIONS OF A COAT HANGER.......HAD MANY,MANY RESPONSES OF WHICH ALL WERE HELPFUL....SOME SAID IT HURT, OTHERS SAID IT WAS NO BIG DEAL.......FROM THEN ON I CAME TO THIS SITE FOR INFORMATION AND SUPPORT.......NOTHING LIKE TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS "BEEN THERE DONE THAT!" I THINK EVERYONE IS SMART ENOUGH TO TAKE WHAT IS OFFERED AND KNOW THAT IT IS BASED SOLEY ON THAT PERSON'S EXPERIENCE.......JUST AS THERE ARE MANY, MANY TYPES OF BC THERE WILL BE AS MANY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES WITH SURGERY, CHEMO, RADIATION, ETC....THERE'S ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS, RECCOMENDATIONS, ETC....WE, AS INDIVIDUALS, MUST DO WHAT IS BEST FOR OURSELF......AGAIN, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SITE.......FULL OF CARING WOMEN WHO ARE FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AND ONLY WANT TO HELP OTHERS WHO ARE FOLLOWING IN OUR FOOTSTEPS....

PEACE BE WITH US ALL...
    NANCY

I agree with Leeza too. I
    I agree with Leeza too. I have never seen what you are talking about rague. So, I don't even understand your post.

This site has always been so supportive, full of information and everyone's experiences told are priceless as they help all of us.

I hope the posts continue with everyone still posting as they normally do.

Jan
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I did it
    I did what Susan is talking about, so perhaps I am who you are referring to. This was several weeks ago, however. You called me out about it, which was good. I had misunderstood what my oncologist said to me as being true for everyone. Once corrected, I apologized and said that I would be more careful in the future, which I have been.

Since then, I've been very aware of this issue, but I haven't seen more posts like you are describing. Or maybe I just know that people are talking about their own experiences, even if the posts are not always worded clearly.

Anyhoo, cheers to all! Keep cool!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

I did it
    I did what Susan is talking about, so perhaps I am who you are referring to. This was several weeks ago, however. You called me out about it, which was good. I had misunderstood what my oncologist said to me as being true for everyone. Once corrected, I apologized and said that I would be more careful in the future, which I have been.

Since then, I've been very aware of this issue, but I haven't seen more posts like you are describing. Or maybe I just know that people are talking about their own experiences, even if the posts are not always worded clearly.

Anyhoo, cheers to all! Keep cool!

Cheers to you too Christine!
    Cheers to you too Christine! Keep posting!

Sue :)
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    Sorry you feel this way. I
    Sorry you feel this way. I sometimes re-read my posts before posting and try to take any "this will happen to you" and substitute "this is what happened with my wife". Usually I am asking everyone "What happened to you?"; but I've never interpreted their responses as what will definately happen. People on this board have BIG HEARTS, and strong feelings about what is happening to them and their families.

Hang in here with us; we mean well; I would feel terrible if someone left the board because of a post they read (especially if it was my post)!!

Bob
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Cheers to you too Christine!
    Cheers to you too Christine! Keep posting!

Sue :)

Keep posting ladies
    Just want to thank all of you who have posted. Everyone on this board has been very informative, supportive and compassionate. All of you have been so helpful since my first post: asking my questions after my BC diagnosis.
    I have never encountered anyone here suggesting that their experience was the only outcome nor the way it would be for me. I understood, from the beginning that we are all different and although sharing a common enemy, BC, our battles will not be identical.I hope I have not been guilty of this myself in my postings and if I have, I trust that this will be brought to my attention. Keep posting ladies and keep up the great work of supporting your Pink sisters.
    Hugs, K
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

Sorry you feel this way. I
    Sorry you feel this way. I sometimes re-read my posts before posting and try to take any "this will happen to you" and substitute "this is what happened with my wife". Usually I am asking everyone "What happened to you?"; but I've never interpreted their responses as what will definately happen. People on this board have BIG HEARTS, and strong feelings about what is happening to them and their families.

Hang in here with us; we mean well; I would feel terrible if someone left the board because of a post they read (especially if it was my post)!!

Bob

I agree with Hubby and quite
    I agree with Hubby and quite a few others who don't feel that way. I cherish my time reading the posts and asking questions and frankly it has been MY EXPERIENCE, that I've learned a lot more here than in the actual medical field.
    If I/ we can help anyone through a rough time than I say that's a great day. I never felt preached to by anyone who said this Will happen to you, maybe I just never came across it. I had to vent one day and I said that I hoped I didn't upset anyone.
    I think the vast majority of people here are looking for and offering some comfort.
    Love you all.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I burned also and had a
    I burned also and had a radical modified mastectomy so I was flat. They had to give me two weeks off to heal before finishing the last week. Just make sure the doctor looks at the site every week to keep up with what is going on. Mine didn't look, just asked how I was doing and I always said "OK". I didn't have a clue what it should look like or what it looked like when getting bad. So he/she should be checking it.

I'm sorry
    Marcia527, This s way, way off the subject. Maybe I have a dirty mind, and I think it's a wonderful picture, but.... What are you standing behind. I can't see anything but....the object in front of you. I'm sorry. LOL Katz
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Options

I agree with Hubby and quite
    I agree with Hubby and quite a few others who don't feel that way. I cherish my time reading the posts and asking questions and frankly it has been MY EXPERIENCE, that I've learned a lot more here than in the actual medical field.
    If I/ we can help anyone through a rough time than I say that's a great day. I never felt preached to by anyone who said this Will happen to you, maybe I just never came across it. I had to vent one day and I said that I hoped I didn't upset anyone.
    I think the vast majority of people here are looking for and offering some comfort.
    Love you all.

I love everybody here
    This place is the first place I come to in the morning and the last place at night. And during the day at work. I really appreciate all the different opinions. I learn what I may or may not experience and how to prepare. And that I have a lot of company here. And that I can ask anything.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I would hope that we know that our bodies are unique
    With all said, I think we are all here in support of one another. It's a wonderful website filled with beautiful caring people. I've learned more from the experiences of each of you than any place else and I finally feel connected with those who understand.

I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks Susan, for sharing what you feel.

Blessings and hugs to you,

Sylvia
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    sea60 said:

I would hope that we know that our bodies are unique
    With all said, I think we are all here in support of one another. It's a wonderful website filled with beautiful caring people. I've learned more from the experiences of each of you than any place else and I finally feel connected with those who understand.

I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks Susan, for sharing what you feel.

Blessings and hugs to you,

Sylvia

I am not understanding
    I am not understanding Susan's post as I have never seen that on this site. I would think that we all know that we are unique, none of us are alike or have the same of anything.

We voice our treatments, our experiences and if it helps someone, then great!

We all know to run anything by our doctors first and most always post that.

I hope the posts remain the same and that no one stops because of this.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I've seen several posts
    I've seen several posts recently that basically said ""This will happen to you because it happened to me!" No not those words exctly but still what was said/inferred.

YES, we are here to support each other BUT atr each unique! Give your experiences as it helps all of us but don't say that is what WILL happen with someone else because it hapopened to you. I had NO nausea - others do. I had REALLY BAD burns from Rads - there are very few who have gone through what I did. Do i 'talk' about what I went through = "ya betcha' - but I don't say THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN as has been said recently about personal experiences.

Susan.

Never seen it on this site!
    I am not on often, but, all I ever see are caring, wonderful survivors that offer to anyone their experience, their advice and their support. So, I don't know what you are referring to Rague. Hoping that everyone just keeps doing what they are doing because it helps all of us!

♥ Kristin ♥
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I'm so grateful
    I'm so grateful for all the info shared by everyone who posts. The WHAT IF'S are scary. I never saw a post that stated this is the way it will be! I wrote down so many helpful hints gleened from this network so that I would be prepared. I wished I had asked about the procedure to find the sentinel node beforehand because it was painful to me. Thank goodness for a tech who let me squeeze her hand:)
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

I'm so grateful
    I'm so grateful for all the info shared by everyone who posts. The WHAT IF'S are scary. I never saw a post that stated this is the way it will be! I wrote down so many helpful hints gleened from this network so that I would be prepared. I wished I had asked about the procedure to find the sentinel node beforehand because it was painful to me. Thank goodness for a tech who let me squeeze her hand:)
    Char

I am thankful for all our Sister's and our varied
    experiences. I would of not MADE it thru my chemo journey without this board.

I would like to Thank everyone for sharing their experiences, life and thoughts with me. I found the information provided on our board .. kept my Oncologist, his staff on their TOES!

I think of myself of a forward, independent, solid women, who is fighting Breast Cancer .. and I am beyond elated that I am part of this forum of women. Again .. forum - entitled to our own opinions.

Love you all and respect you all -

Vicki Samaduroff
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Katz77 said:

I'm sorry
    Marcia527, This s way, way off the subject. Maybe I have a dirty mind, and I think it's a wonderful picture, but.... What are you standing behind. I can't see anything but....the object in front of you. I'm sorry. LOL Katz

Some think it looks like a
    Some think it looks like a dog bone. Others a heart. I thought it was a woman's torso. I think it is a rock or sculpture. I thought of you guys when it was taken. I thought you would think it was amusing, so glad you laughed! Maybe I should change the picture.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Some think it looks like a
    Some think it looks like a dog bone. Others a heart. I thought it was a woman's torso. I think it is a rock or sculpture. I thought of you guys when it was taken. I thought you would think it was amusing, so glad you laughed! Maybe I should change the picture.

Please
    Please keep the picture. Whatever we see in it, it's good for a laugh.