Foods people CAN Tatste!!! ONLY POSITIVE POSTS PLEASE!

Options
2»

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    lawchk said:

Never lost sense of taste!!!
    Diagnosed with Esthesioneuroblastoma (ENB) 5 months ago. The tumor was contained to one sinus cavity and the doctors told me I had a 50/50 shot of losing my sense of taste & smell. They said that if I didn't lose them, it would take 4 months to 1 year to regain. The doctors at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas removed the entire tumor endoscopically through the nose after 13 hours. Good news! I never lost my sense of taste. A few hours after surgery in the ICU, I could taste the saltiness of the soup & distinguish between the apple & grape juices. Hospital food never tasted so good!

Pura Vida!

Lindsey
    www.enbfacts.com

so varied, everyone is so different
    i have the best luck tasting sweet things. Any thing that has salt in it will usually be way too salty for me. Lots of things still burn my mouth. My taste has come back a bit. What works for one of us doesn't seem to work for another. I even tried bbq the other day beacuse i think DJ said she could eat and taste it, but while i could taste it, it burned my mouth too much.

Hoping that you find the things that work for you Charles, but I am afraid that it will be a lot of trial and error on your part. :) Hoping you will be able to eat well soon now that your rads are done.
  • lady4darknight
    lady4darknight Member Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Stacey
    Stacey,

I really really wanted to be done with the PEG. I got the same story as others have mentioned above; that I needed to maintain my weight for a month without using it at all. It occurred to me that Boost, Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast are all pretty much equivalent to Jevity, so I just up and quit putting stuff into the tube.

I do try out different foods constantly. That seems to help. I also eat whether I am hungry or not, and I've noticed that I'm hungry a lot more often now. Eating is just something that I am going to have to work at, and concentrate on, for a while. And, sometimes, the less-healthy stuff like spam, hash, and ice cream are going to have to suffice, until I can eat a wider range of stuff.

Good luck with your efforts. Keep up the good work! And, keep a sense of humor. Always order dessert.

Deb

Thanks
    Deb, thanks for the info on not using the PEG. I too have been really concentrating on just eating and not using my PEG. My problem seems to be no saliva and that is awful. Any ideas how to fix that? But I am on post 20 rad since June 23 so am still recovering. Can't wait to get PEG out.
    thanks, Debbie
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Deb, thanks for the info on not using the PEG. I too have been really concentrating on just eating and not using my PEG. My problem seems to be no saliva and that is awful. Any ideas how to fix that? But I am on post 20 rad since June 23 so am still recovering. Can't wait to get PEG out.
    thanks, Debbie

No Saliva
    Hi Debbie

I finished my 38 radiation treatments on May 12th, so I am roughly 8 weeks out now. Taste is slowly coming back, but at this point I have zero saliva. I remain optimistic that I will get back at least a little bit, but who knows...

Breads, meats and pastas are problematic. Fruits and vegetables are yummy, especially with butter or olive oil. Eggs are delicious. Most other things are okay. I've gotten quite good at taking a slug of water if the mouthful of stuff I am trying to chew gets too dry. Also, at taking a slug of water to wash something down that got stuck part-way down. Keep the bites small. Swallow each bite all the way before taking another. Eat slowly and pay attention.

Deb
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options

so varied, everyone is so different
    i have the best luck tasting sweet things. Any thing that has salt in it will usually be way too salty for me. Lots of things still burn my mouth. My taste has come back a bit. What works for one of us doesn't seem to work for another. I even tried bbq the other day beacuse i think DJ said she could eat and taste it, but while i could taste it, it burned my mouth too much.

Hoping that you find the things that work for you Charles, but I am afraid that it will be a lot of trial and error on your part. :) Hoping you will be able to eat well soon now that your rads are done.

Root beer is a new taste
    Root beer is a new taste that has just come back..keep trying and retrying.
    Stacey
  • lady4darknight
    lady4darknight Member Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    D Lewis said:

No Saliva
    Hi Debbie

I finished my 38 radiation treatments on May 12th, so I am roughly 8 weeks out now. Taste is slowly coming back, but at this point I have zero saliva. I remain optimistic that I will get back at least a little bit, but who knows...

Breads, meats and pastas are problematic. Fruits and vegetables are yummy, especially with butter or olive oil. Eggs are delicious. Most other things are okay. I've gotten quite good at taking a slug of water if the mouthful of stuff I am trying to chew gets too dry. Also, at taking a slug of water to wash something down that got stuck part-way down. Keep the bites small. Swallow each bite all the way before taking another. Eat slowly and pay attention.

Deb

Thanks
    Hi Deb, Sounds really good. I do the water thing while I eat also and I also found the breads and meat are difficult. I haven't tried eggs but love them so will do that. I have been doing lots of soups and liquids because I wasn't sure on how to get things down. I also have noticed nothing taste either. That made it difficult when I first wanted to eat because nothing tasted good unless I salted it really well. I drink lots of smoothies and eat lots of ice cream because they are easy to get down. Thanks again.
    Debbie
  • TIM_WWJD
    TIM_WWJD Member Posts: 38
    Options
    staceya said:

Root beer is a new taste
    Root beer is a new taste that has just come back..keep trying and retrying.
    Stacey

I am just over a year post
    I am just over a year post treatment for stage 4 tonsil cancer. I can taste most things but sweets are not as strong. Chocolate tastes bitter which sucks but I am so glad for the improvements over the months. I was affraid that I wouldn't ever be able to eat things like pizza, chips and bread because early on those choked me. Now as someone else wrote just give me enough water and time to chew i can eat everything I ate before. Time is the key don't get discouraged.