Foods people CAN Tatste!!! ONLY POSITIVE POSTS PLEASE!

Irishgypsie
Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Ok, I was wondering of the people that are post treatment what foods can you taste. I don't care if it's been 1 month post treatment or 10 years. Just want to see some positives of what foods people can taste! I have noticed though that there aren't too many long termer's on here. I was connected to two people who are from Immerman Angels and they are about ten years out; and they can taste quiet a bit!

Charles

"Yesterday is ashes. Tomorrow is green wood. Only today does the fire burn brightly."

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Taste
    Hi Charles, I am 9 months post treatment and am pleased to say that I can taste most foods now, some have a stronger taste than others but I get some taste from almost everything I eat. Nothing tastes bad anymore as it did during treatment. My only disappointment is that I still can not eat peanut butter ;-( I just can't swallow it as it sticks to my throat and naturally I LOOOOOOVE peanut butter ;-) I'm sure that my taste will still continue to improve.

Just for reference - I had cisplatin 2 days per week in three week cycles and 35 rad treatments so my taste buds and salivary glands were pretty fried when I finished.

Keep the faith Charles, you will soon be enjoying the same foods you enjoyed prior to your treatment. Some have even said they now like foods that they never liked before treatment. It will take time but you will get there.

My best to you,
    Glenna
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    My taste has come back
    My taste has come back pretty well, last rads was 3/9
    Started noticing taste about 2 or 3 weeks after.
    If you can't taste something try again in a few weeks
    I know my diet is not so good, please ignore that fact :)

I can now taste these items as good as before treatment
    watermelon
    chocolate milk (chocolate candy is still a bit off)
    Cheese puffs
    red jello
    thai ice tea (MMMM!!!)
    cherries
    soft pretzels
    raspberry sherbert
    ice cream waffle cones ( I can't eat too much, but they taste good)
    Apple juice (tasted good for the first time just last night)

Also, sometimes what tasted fine one day, is off on another..no reason I know of..
    You will be done real soon, so maybe you will be tasting by mid July?

Cold and wet foods seem real pleasant (real cold watermelon is a TREAT)
    Hope this was helpful
    Stacey
  • debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Charles, I'm 9 months post
    Charles, I'm 9 months post trmnt and can only taste bbq and salty foods. I eat bbq ribs and chicken. I also love fritos. I cannot eat chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, peanuts. The only things that truly taste right are the items listed above. Also, like was said in another post, today I can taste something and it tastes right but tomorrow it may not.
    deb
  • Landranger25
    Landranger25 Member Posts: 210 Member
    staceya said:

My taste has come back
    My taste has come back pretty well, last rads was 3/9
    Started noticing taste about 2 or 3 weeks after.
    If you can't taste something try again in a few weeks
    I know my diet is not so good, please ignore that fact :)

I can now taste these items as good as before treatment
    watermelon
    chocolate milk (chocolate candy is still a bit off)
    Cheese puffs
    red jello
    thai ice tea (MMMM!!!)
    cherries
    soft pretzels
    raspberry sherbert
    ice cream waffle cones ( I can't eat too much, but they taste good)
    Apple juice (tasted good for the first time just last night)

Also, sometimes what tasted fine one day, is off on another..no reason I know of..
    You will be done real soon, so maybe you will be tasting by mid July?

Cold and wet foods seem real pleasant (real cold watermelon is a TREAT)
    Hope this was helpful
    Stacey

Almost all
    I am at 8 months out now. 33 rads and 3 separate chemos. (cisplatin/5FU) Worst after treatment was anything tomato based. No chili, no spaghetti, 2 favorites, though I can eat them now, they are not like they used to be but getting better. Alfredo sauce works great. Shrimp or chicken fettuccine much better now. Vanilla ice cream kind of a disappointment as well. Snacks like chips are a little work but do taste OK. Cream soups were my savior after treatment and probably my first choice at lunch time still. Most everything else is just getting better all the time. Although I ate fresh vegetables before, probably not enough. Now I probably eat twice as many as I used to. (Cause I can't taste them?) I do like things that have more moisture in them, like a sauce or something. The Jumbo burrito with sauce and sour cream at the local mexican restaurant is great. All in all, things are going pretty darned well.

Mike
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849

Charles, I'm 9 months post
    Charles, I'm 9 months post trmnt and can only taste bbq and salty foods. I eat bbq ribs and chicken. I also love fritos. I cannot eat chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, peanuts. The only things that truly taste right are the items listed above. Also, like was said in another post, today I can taste something and it tastes right but tomorrow it may not.
    deb

Lucky so far
    Irish,
    Been lucky so far. I'm still not eating much, but anything I've ate I've been able to taste. 11 weeks out for me. Smoothie concoctions my wife makes (everything in them but the kitchen sink), shakes, tea, fruit juices, pudding, applesauce. Vanila burns my throat still, but I can taste that it's vanila.
    Good luck Bro
    Greg
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Greg53 said:

Lucky so far
    Irish,
    Been lucky so far. I'm still not eating much, but anything I've ate I've been able to taste. 11 weeks out for me. Smoothie concoctions my wife makes (everything in them but the kitchen sink), shakes, tea, fruit juices, pudding, applesauce. Vanila burns my throat still, but I can taste that it's vanila.
    Good luck Bro
    Greg

taste
    14-months post-treatment, now, and eating heartily. Some 4-months after my last rad, at the Company golf tourney, I just happened to try a Brat w/mustard, relish and onion, and it was awesome. Shocked, I experimented to find, as has CajunEagle, that pepperish foods do register with our altered taste buds. I have to eat slowly, but I enjoy Campbell's Roadhouse Chili; and, of course, chef-style salads with onions and both green and red peppers on- along with the orange French dressing. Strawberry is my favorite Ensure flavor.
    Trial and error, Charles, to find what's right for you.

kcass
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Same here Charles

5 years passed last treatment and can taste almost everything, the only problem is with stuff that is sweet, I can only taste it once or twice and then sweet taste goes away.
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Mosts fruits and Salad Vegetables
    Hi Charles,

I find I can taste and enjoy most fruits and salad veges such as lettuce (All varieties), baby spinach, Tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, asparagus, artichokes, onions, etc nuts, cereals. I can also taste most sweet things though I avoid most these days. I do salads with Virgin Olive Oil and a bit of Sea Salt and some other home made dressings (Sesame oil, soy sauce, mustard mix + vinegar).

Most pastas are difficult and the taste & texture goes off quickly.

I think your surviving taste depends on where the Rads hit your tongue and also some Chemo treatments dull taste.

God post.

Scam
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member

Mosts fruits and Salad Vegetables
    Hi Charles,

I find I can taste and enjoy most fruits and salad veges such as lettuce (All varieties), baby spinach, Tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, asparagus, artichokes, onions, etc nuts, cereals. I can also taste most sweet things though I avoid most these days. I do salads with Virgin Olive Oil and a bit of Sea Salt and some other home made dressings (Sesame oil, soy sauce, mustard mix + vinegar).

Most pastas are difficult and the taste & texture goes off quickly.

I think your surviving taste depends on where the Rads hit your tongue and also some Chemo treatments dull taste.

God post.

Scam

No Sweet
    I'm pretty much like HONDO, I can't taste much sweet for some reason. But it's primarily Ice Cream. I can taste sweetness in cereals and a few things, but it loses it's sweetness within a few bites.

Like others here, I have regained a very large portion of my taste, but at the same time, I have lost a lot, not necessarily bad though.

I have always been a big meat eater, pork and beef tend to be dry now so I don't eat as much, other than cheeseburgers, I still love those, and bacon.

MY wife makes awesome soups and sauces, most of those have lost their flavor, and just taste bad to me now.

Things are still evolving though. Sometimes I'll try something that I haven't tried for along time, and it'll taste much better.

John
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Six weeks post treatment
    I can taste most vegetables - zuchini, summer squash, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, green beans, spinach, peas, carrots; steamed, or sauteed with butter or olive oil. Salads work well. Scrambled eggs are good. Tiny nibbles of BBQ tri tip, chicken or fish taste good, but hard to chew. Breads and pastas are problematic, although I can eat tiny bites of my favorite sourdough bread with lots of butter, or dipped in olive oil.

Ate out last night, and nibbled the most amazingly wonderful vegetarian spinach lasagna made from polenta rather than pasta. The polenta made it very easy to chew and swallow. What a wonderful invention. Mmmmm.

I've been completely off the PEG for over three weeks now.

Deb
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    D Lewis said:

Six weeks post treatment
    I can taste most vegetables - zuchini, summer squash, lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, green beans, spinach, peas, carrots; steamed, or sauteed with butter or olive oil. Salads work well. Scrambled eggs are good. Tiny nibbles of BBQ tri tip, chicken or fish taste good, but hard to chew. Breads and pastas are problematic, although I can eat tiny bites of my favorite sourdough bread with lots of butter, or dipped in olive oil.

Ate out last night, and nibbled the most amazingly wonderful vegetarian spinach lasagna made from polenta rather than pasta. The polenta made it very easy to chew and swallow. What a wonderful invention. Mmmmm.

Deb

Four month's post teatment
    My taste buds seem to be back! I am trying every type of food that comes my way. What really work's for me is anything with a gravy or sauce as it help's everything go down. i read somewhere on this site that ravioloi in a can works. So I made some mashed potatoes & added some of the ravioli & it went down so easily! The ravioli in the can is very soft & the tomato sauce was not in the least bit spicy. Had a bit of soft pork loin last night. It was very tender that went down with milk. Oatmeal & cream of wheat. Cream of potato soup, very mild excellent! Yougurt with added canned sliced peaches & smoothies. I miss bread but in time It will work also. Barbecued sliced zucchini & sauteed spinach in olive oil love it, help's to make fish go down. Any trick in the book, I am trying. My oncologist will not take out my tube unless I can prove that I can manage my weight without my tube for over the month. Eating alone help's that way I can concentrate without diversion.I walk aroung Costco
    alot looking for different thing's. I am going to make a stew today then chop it up in the majic bullet. It would be lovely to have a personal chef lol! Hubby tries but barbecuing is his specialty!
    Roz
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    rozaroo said:

Four month's post teatment
    My taste buds seem to be back! I am trying every type of food that comes my way. What really work's for me is anything with a gravy or sauce as it help's everything go down. i read somewhere on this site that ravioloi in a can works. So I made some mashed potatoes & added some of the ravioli & it went down so easily! The ravioli in the can is very soft & the tomato sauce was not in the least bit spicy. Had a bit of soft pork loin last night. It was very tender that went down with milk. Oatmeal & cream of wheat. Cream of potato soup, very mild excellent! Yougurt with added canned sliced peaches & smoothies. I miss bread but in time It will work also. Barbecued sliced zucchini & sauteed spinach in olive oil love it, help's to make fish go down. Any trick in the book, I am trying. My oncologist will not take out my tube unless I can prove that I can manage my weight without my tube for over the month. Eating alone help's that way I can concentrate without diversion.I walk aroung Costco
    alot looking for different thing's. I am going to make a stew today then chop it up in the majic bullet. It would be lovely to have a personal chef lol! Hubby tries but barbecuing is his specialty!
    Roz

almost all back
    I'm one year out and taste is back almost complete, 99%. Can eat anything with enough water. Hot spicey stuff I still shy away from as it still stings a little on the mouth lining. As far as being able to eat everything and wanting to go through the work, well thats different. I can eat a steak but just don't want to as it may literarly take me 45-60 min. My diet has changed considerably by choice to mostly cereals, soups, stews, salads,Fish and and chicken.
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    D Lewis said:

Six weeks post treatment

Deb

You are doing SO well!
    Deb, You are doing SO well!
  • davidgskinner
    davidgskinner Member Posts: 81
    fresh fruits and vegetables
    I am three months post treatment (rad and chemo) and thought I would never taste anything interesting again. But for some reason radishes were the first thing I could really taste after about a month. Hallelujah! That got me trying all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Bell peppers, celery, carrots, all worked. I was never a fresh food eater before but I am now. For some reason processed foods don't taste right these days. Bananas are a staple food for me...I eat about 4 per day.
    The only problem with this is these kinds of foods don't do a lot for gaining weight back. SO I also drink gallons of chocolate milk and Walmart's brand of ensure.
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    staceya said:

You are doing SO well!
    Deb, You are doing SO well!

Stacey
    Stacey,

I really really wanted to be done with the PEG. I got the same story as others have mentioned above; that I needed to maintain my weight for a month without using it at all. It occurred to me that Boost, Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast are all pretty much equivalent to Jevity, so I just up and quit putting stuff into the tube.

I do try out different foods constantly. That seems to help. I also eat whether I am hungry or not, and I've noticed that I'm hungry a lot more often now. Eating is just something that I am going to have to work at, and concentrate on, for a while. And, sometimes, the less-healthy stuff like spam, hash, and ice cream are going to have to suffice, until I can eat a wider range of stuff.

Good luck with your efforts. Keep up the good work! And, keep a sense of humor. Always order dessert.

Deb
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450

fresh fruits and vegetables
    I am three months post treatment (rad and chemo) and thought I would never taste anything interesting again. But for some reason radishes were the first thing I could really taste after about a month. Hallelujah! That got me trying all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Bell peppers, celery, carrots, all worked. I was never a fresh food eater before but I am now. For some reason processed foods don't taste right these days. Bananas are a staple food for me...I eat about 4 per day.
    The only problem with this is these kinds of foods don't do a lot for gaining weight back. SO I also drink gallons of chocolate milk and Walmart's brand of ensure.

I can taste it all
    I'm 19 months out and can taste virtually everything, and almost everything tastes exactly as it used to. Not only that but my saliva is back around 90 percent, I'd say. I've been truly blessed.
    My appetite has changed some -- I don't eat as much as I used to and can go a very long time without getting hungry -- and I don't like the sweet stuff as much as I used to. Other than that, nothing has changed (in terms of taste, anyway).

--Jim in Delaware
  • friend of Bill
    friend of Bill Member Posts: 87
    taste
    20 months out. Can taste at 90% level everything but sweet.

Vince
  • SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member

taste
    20 months out. Can taste at 90% level everything but sweet.

Vince

Taste
    10+ years post treatment and I believe I taste just about everything that I put in my mouth. There are still some foods that I can't eat because of texture, but those are few and far between. It gets better over time. As time passes you will experiment with foods some will taste fine, some wont. Some will be easy to chew/swallow some not. It is a lot of trial and error and as you continue on, things will be come apparent what to stay away from and what really works for you. Everyone is different so don't despair if it doesn't come as fast as you want, it will eventually.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Three months past treatment,
    Three months past treatment, I can taste almost everything, and can eat most things. Some things only have taste for a few bites. Chocolate tastes like chocolate to me, but it is like SUPER chocolate - way too rich now, so when I do eat it, I eat a very small portion.

Like many others, I have noticed I can eat some foods some days, and not others. cooked onions make me happy - raw onions MUST be fresh. I can eat moist meats, most veggies and fruits, and sometimes can eat a little "flatbread". Have to draw the line at spicy and/or very sweet. Non-carbonated, non-acidic drinks are great. I've been able to eat more than I expected to be able to eat.
  • lawchk
    lawchk Member Posts: 12
    Never lost sense of taste!!!
    Diagnosed with Esthesioneuroblastoma (ENB) 5 months ago. The tumor was contained to one sinus cavity and the doctors told me I had a 50/50 shot of losing my sense of taste & smell. They said that if I didn't lose them, it would take 4 months to 1 year to regain. The doctors at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas removed the entire tumor endoscopically through the nose after 13 hours. Good news! I never lost my sense of taste. A few hours after surgery in the ICU, I could taste the saltiness of the soup & distinguish between the apple & grape juices. Hospital food never tasted so good!

Pura Vida!

Lindsey
    www.enbfacts.com