What do you consider your 'cancerversary'?

Options

Comments

• dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options

It's funny I think about it
    It's funny I think about it all the time too, what date do you celebrate. I was dx'd on July 22, 2009, I had my first surgery on Aug 13th, my first chemo was the day after my fiance's birthday, my last chemo was Dec 3rd, the day before my daughter's 16th birthday and my last radiation was February 25th, the day after my son's birthday. How ironic that my dates all surround loved one's dates!

anniversary
    My anniversary is today. It was 2 years ago today that I had my surgery and as the surgeon said he threw it away in the bucket. Gives a new meaning to one's "Bucket List". Many things lead up to the day of surgery and so many things afterward but this is the date I pause on the most. I am so grateful for all the people who have gotten me to this day. While I have not posted on this site for quite some time I visit and reflect on all the wisdom here and for what will come to all of us...Life Is Good!

dawn
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    dbs1673 said:

anniversary
    My anniversary is today. It was 2 years ago today that I had my surgery and as the surgeon said he threw it away in the bucket. Gives a new meaning to one's "Bucket List". Many things lead up to the day of surgery and so many things afterward but this is the date I pause on the most. I am so grateful for all the people who have gotten me to this day. While I have not posted on this site for quite some time I visit and reflect on all the wisdom here and for what will come to all of us...Life Is Good!

dawn

Happy Annivesary Dawn!
    What a timely discussion...

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

It's funny I think about it all the time too, what date do you celebrate. I was dx'd on July 22, 2009, I had my first surgery on Aug 13th, my first chemo was the day after my fiance's birthday, my last chemo was Dec 3rd, the day before my daughter's 16th birthday and my last radiation was February 25th, the day after my son's birthday. How ironic that my dates all surround loved one's dates!

I guess it would be the day
    I guess it would be the day I heard that I had bc. Hoping to celebrate happily!

I got thru the lumpectomy, rads and am living a great life now!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

HMMM - Hadn't thought of it
    HMMM - Hadn't thought of it quite that way.

The day I heard those awful
    The day I heard those awful words. But, hubby and I will do something fantastic for it, like take a great vacation to celebrate my survival!

The doom and gloom is out of my life forever!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

April Fools!!
    I can't speak for my wife on this one, because I don't think she feels like a survivor yet. I'll get her there!! But for me, the day was April 1st. I got a call on my cell phone in the middle of a job meeting. Stepped outside, and had to hold it together.

After reading the begining of "Breast Cancer Husband" and the author writing that his first words to his wife were "ewe, that doesn't sound good" I asked my wife what I said. Evidently, my first words were "Do you want me to come home?" She thought that was a good responce.

Hubby,
    I agree, that is a good response.

I also told my girlfriend on the phone after I hung up with my OB/GYN who gave me the news....my girlfriend's first words were unprintable here on a family message board...but I had no problem with anyone being as pi**ed off at cancer as I was, so it was okay. The next thing she said was, "I'll be right there," so it was good.

Traci
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

April Fools
    Hi Hubby,

I can't believe you too celebrate April 1 as an annivesary date. I have been celebrating April 1 since 2002. My oncologist told me I could count my anniversary date beginning from the day of surgery, which was April 1. I wore pasties to surgery, I just couldn't help myself.

I too went to the surgeon alone on my way home from work and called my hubby from a stop at the grocery store. It gave him time to digest the news. What a way to remember a life changing experience!

Pasties!
    Okay, whoa -- I can't let us just blow by Scotch Freckles' comment about wearing PASTIES to her surgery!

LOVE IT!

Do you mean like with tassles that you could twirl? (forgive my ignorance, I'm not much of a pasties connoisseur :-) Man, I wish I'd thought of that!

Traci
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

I wonder who even came up
    I wonder who even came up with that word cancerversary! LOL

Looks like for most of us, it is when we got the bad news.

But, we all need to celebrate it in a good way, I think, as we fought the beast and won!

Sue :)
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I wonder who even came up
    I wonder who even came up with that word cancerversary! LOL

Looks like for most of us, it is when we got the bad news.

But, we all need to celebrate it in a good way, I think, as we fought the beast and won!

Sue :)

Hmm a good question. I dont
    Hmm a good question. I dont recall the exact date in May of 2009 when my doc told me my 2nd mammo and ultra sound confirmed that things did not look good and he was referring me to a surgeon. I cried and he consoled me. I knew that day it was cancer and so did my doc, it just had not been confirmed at that point. Since I dont remember the particular day in May, perhaps June 17, 2009 the day I had my biopsy will be my cancerversary.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    dbs1673 said:

anniversary

dawn

Happy anniversary to you
    Happy anniversary to you Dawn! And yes, life is good!
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Pasties!
    Okay, whoa -- I can't let us just blow by Scotch Freckles' comment about wearing PASTIES to her surgery!

LOVE IT!

Do you mean like with tassles that you could twirl? (forgive my ignorance, I'm not much of a pasties connoisseur :-) Man, I wish I'd thought of that!

Traci

Pasties
    Sorry Traci to pop your bubble. No the pasties didn't twirl, but it made the surgeon wonder what she was getting into. She was still smiling when I woke up. Life is too short to let great humor pass you by.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I wasn't sure myself,
    but since the majority think it's the day they were diagnosed...I was at my annual gyn appt Oct 28,09, got the the breast exam - thumbs up from the Doc, but later, at the mammo...

I got called in again - the usual - but the third time, I thought to myself, "Yippee, I'm done, or... not". It turned out to be not. I spoke with the radiologist and when I saw those horrible calcifications, grouped together, well, my heart just sank. I scheduled a stereotactic biopsy for Nov 12, a Thursday. Couldn't get results til the 17th - longest wait of my life. I'll never forget my Drs words, "My Dear, I am so sorry" that's all I remember - those 6 words.

Had surgery on Dec 7 ( a day that will live in infamy) - two days before my 56th birthday. Radiation and no chemo (very low Onco Dx- I pray every day that I made the right decision).

So, looking back, that sinking feeling at the mammo on 10/28/09 is my day.

Sue
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Mine's a happy day
    Anniversaries are supposed to be happy, so if I'm going to have one I'm considering mine the day my doctor called with my post chemo scan results. I'd gotten an NED on my mid chemo scans, but had to finish the chemo and then get scans again after that anyhow. So about a week after I had my post chemo scans, my oncologist called and said "Everything's clear, Emily, you're done kiddo". Incidentally, that was May 21, 2010, which just happened to be my husband and my 5th wedding anniversary. So, that day, the day that it washed over me that I was really *done*, on our 5th wedding anniversary.. *that* day is my cancerversary :)
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Options
    xxoo
    Two days after my double mastectomy and the sentinal nodes came back clear. 9-11-09.

I hope that date doesn't bring me bad luck in other areas. :)

I plan on doing something special that day.

Obviously breast cancer changed my life forever.

But to be honest, without it, I'd have never felt this kind of clarity and sisterhood.

Sorry to be sappy but something good does always come from something bad.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • tambow
    tambow Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Good Friday
    Of course I'll never forget that fateful day in August 2009 when I was told I had the big C.....
    But the best feeling in the world was after my bilateral mastectomy , when the doctor got the pathology results and said I had "Complete Pathologic Response" after 24 grueling weeks of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy and we decided I would not need radiation afterall. It was Good News on Good Friday, 2010! I think that will be my cancerversary.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Hmm a good question. I dont
    Hmm a good question. I dont recall the exact date in May of 2009 when my doc told me my 2nd mammo and ultra sound confirmed that things did not look good and he was referring me to a surgeon. I cried and he consoled me. I knew that day it was cancer and so did my doc, it just had not been confirmed at that point. Since I dont remember the particular day in May, perhaps June 17, 2009 the day I had my biopsy will be my cancerversary.

I've seen others on here
    I've seen others on here celebrate it. I hadn't thought much about it.

I guess the day my doctor called and told me I had bc.
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The day I discovered the
    The day I discovered the lump July 22, 2009.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    MGNS said:

The day I discovered the
    The day I discovered the lump July 22, 2009.

I have so many days that

I have so many days that could be my anniversary since it took a few tests to determine that I had cancer. That was in 2000. Then, in 2009, I had several reports from the MRI and biopsy with second opinions. But, the one date that I remember best, and the one I celebrated this year was the date I had my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. It's the day that I anxiously awaited last year, and it was the beginning of a life without cancer.

Joyce
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    I use the date I found the
    I use the date I found the cancer. I knew that is what it was. Didn't need to be told.
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I use the date I found the
    I use the date I found the cancer. I knew that is what it was. Didn't need to be told.

cancerversary date
    Hi everyone-
    Have been gone for over 2 months, and just came home yesterday. So this is my first visit in quite some time.
    My date of diagnosis was June 23rd, 2009, but I like the idea of celebrating something good, so I will go with July 29th. when the cancer was "out of there". Of course we celebrated the first NED mammo/ultrasound too.
    Good to be back home where I have internet access and can visit here again, missed you all.
    sgamtd
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    taleena said:

The day I heard those three
    The day I heard those three dreaded words..May 20, 2009... A day that will be forever in bedded in my mind...

Hugs,

~T

The day of my diagnosis too.
    The day of my diagnosis too. Hate those words!!!

Hugs, Jan