What do you consider your 'cancerversary'?

Options
13»

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

It's funny I think about it
    It's funny I think about it all the time too, what date do you celebrate. I was dx'd on July 22, 2009, I had my first surgery on Aug 13th, my first chemo was the day after my fiance's birthday, my last chemo was Dec 3rd, the day before my daughter's 16th birthday and my last radiation was February 25th, the day after my son's birthday. How ironic that my dates all surround loved one's dates!

It will be a good day to
    It will be a good day to celebrate if you think about it. Mine will be celebrated one year after my diagnosis, which means I am one year clean!!!!

Lex♥
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Never Celebrate!
    I have never celebrated a cancerversary. I prefer to forget each date from diagnose, to 1st recurrence, to stage IV and then after a nice break, stage IV again. I actually don't remember the date of the mammogram that diagnose me, nor the dates of the ct's that found the 1st and 2nd. I do unfortunately remember the last one as it was Friday, the 13th. I made a note to avoid that date in the future. It's not that I believe that on the 12th, cancer wasn't there or if done on the 14th, the results would be different.

Relief is what I feel if there is no progression and stable is a great word too. I don't try to remember any of those dates. It's not important in the long run. What is important is to enjoy the day, each day.

SIROD
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    SIROD said:

Never Celebrate!
    I have never celebrated a cancerversary. I prefer to forget each date from diagnose, to 1st recurrence, to stage IV and then after a nice break, stage IV again. I actually don't remember the date of the mammogram that diagnose me, nor the dates of the ct's that found the 1st and 2nd. I do unfortunately remember the last one as it was Friday, the 13th. I made a note to avoid that date in the future. It's not that I believe that on the 12th, cancer wasn't there or if done on the 14th, the results would be different.

Relief is what I feel if there is no progression and stable is a great word too. I don't try to remember any of those dates. It's not important in the long run. What is important is to enjoy the day, each day.

SIROD

I don't celebrate the date,
    I don't celebrate the date, just use it for info.
  • reeseslover1234
    reeseslover1234 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    cancerversary
    I will always remember the morning I found my lump. At 5:00 a.m. when I turned over to scratch an itch on Aug. 1, 2009, my fingertip brushed across it. I somehow knew what it was. My husband says he knew after my ob/gyn couldn't aspirate any fluid from it 3 days later. The day my surgeon informed me he had to unfortunately give me some news I didn't want to hear, will definetly be a day I will always remember. Within 12 days of finding it, I was having a mastectomy. So, as of Aug. 13, somewhere around 11:00 a.m., I was technically cancer free. My lymph nodes were clear and a PET scan in Sept. came back clear also. I had chemo as a precaution because my tumor was 2.2 cms. On Aug. 13, 2010, I will celebrate my first cancer free anniversary.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    the day I remember
    For me, it was the day of surgery. Bilateral mastectomy. It has been 2 years now and I celebrate I am alive.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

the day I remember
    For me, it was the day of surgery. Bilateral mastectomy. It has been 2 years now and I celebrate I am alive.

Good Question!
    I have had bc twice now, so, I am not for sure which one I would actually celebrate. lol I first had bc in 85 and then a new bc in 2009. I think I will celebrate the 2nd one! What do you think? Or, I could celebrate both and have an extra party. Yea, I like that..2 parties! lol</♥</font>

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>