Radiation Time!

Options

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    KayNYC said:

Boosts
    I have the five boosts next week. I was told that this is the easiest part and that my skin will get less red next week since the rad will be all focused on the scar/operative area, not the entire breast.Did you get the burn before the boosts? I am red with enlarged pores. So far, the skin is holding up well. A little itching at night but is is relieved when I apply the aloe vera gel.
    Hugs, K

For me..
    Hi Kay! When I got the boosters, the rest of the area that was radiated started clearing up right away, which was great. However, the area getting the boosters got darker pink and very tender. But, once they were done, my skin cleared up and looks great!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

For me..
    Hi Kay! When I got the boosters, the rest of the area that was radiated started clearing up right away, which was great. However, the area getting the boosters got darker pink and very tender. But, once they were done, my skin cleared up and looks great!

I'm starting rads on Monday
    I'm starting rads on Monday June 7, don't want to, but not nervous at all. I figure if I survived chemo, surgery, then I can go thru rad. Not looking forward to the drive in the hot summer time.
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Options

I'm starting rads on Monday June 7, don't want to, but not nervous at all. I figure if I survived chemo, surgery, then I can go thru rad. Not looking forward to the drive in the hot summer time.

Hi there-
    You all have given me some great advice and suggestions for radiation. From soap to lotions to my diet. A radiation nurse just told me I cna also get some arm & hammer baking soda deodorant. I am ready to start and get this over with. No one has said nothing much about my expander except how good my plastic surgeon did with it. Oh well, thanks for all the good info.!

rene9
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    rene9 said:

Hi there-
    You all have given me some great advice and suggestions for radiation. From soap to lotions to my diet. A radiation nurse just told me I cna also get some arm & hammer baking soda deodorant. I am ready to start and get this over with. No one has said nothing much about my expander except how good my plastic surgeon did with it. Oh well, thanks for all the good info.!

rene9

I also learned a lot from
    I also learned a lot from you gals and I'm more than halfway through. So far my skin is in good shape and I'm not so worried bout the boosters. Thanks so much.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options

For me..

Thanks Survivorbc09
    Thanks for the hopeful news. Monday, I start the boosts. I had some itching under the breast so they gave me hydrocortisone cream to use for the weekend in that one place. Still using the Hydrophor and Aloe gel several times per day. The breast is looking more pink than red today and not at all painful.:)
    Have a Happy Cancer Survivor Day. K
  • KayNYC
    Options
    rene9 said:

Hi there-

rene9

other suggestions
    I was recommended Tom's of Maine Deoderant. It works ok and is pretty easy to find in the chain drug stores. I also use the all natural CRYSTAL deoderant stick but my Onc prefers I not use it before my treatments. I usually put it on after treatments and after slattering on Aquaphor.It does seem to work better than the Tom's of Maine. Haven't tried the Arm and Hammer deoderant.
    That must have been great to hear that your expander surgery was done so well. You will do fine with rad treatments and the time goes by so quickly that you will be done before you know it.
    Hugs, K
  • rene9
    Options
    KayNYC said:

Thanks Survivorbc09
    Thanks for the hopeful news. Monday, I start the boosts. I had some itching under the breast so they gave me hydrocortisone cream to use for the weekend in that one place. Still using the Hydrophor and Aloe gel several times per day. The breast is looking more pink than red today and not at all painful.:)
    Have a Happy Cancer Survivor Day. K

Ok-
    Ok, I went and bought a couple more arm & hammer with baking soda. It's a natural deodorant and I like it over that cornstarch. I also noticed it is paraben free and aluminum free, so I'll continue to use this deodorant after radiation. Eventually, I plan to use only products that are paraben free. It can't hurt to use natural ingredients-

rene9
  • KayNYC
    Options

thinking of you on Monday, Ms Sunshine
    I will be having my last five radiation treatments this week: they are the boosts. I will be happy to be a rad grad very soon but I have to say that it went quickly and without major problems. No fatigue and I worked through it all- full time. Also using yoga and stretching DVD's 2-3 times per week. Except for the itching, relieved by the hydrocortisone they gave me, I am feeling good. Eating healthy, getting rest and staying hydrated.
    I have been playing my favorite CD's on their CD player during my treatments, perhaps you could play your favorite music on those hot summer drives to and from your treatments to make it just a bit more pleasant.
    Sending you good thoughts and wishes for speedy and successful completion of your rads.
    Hugs, K
  • rene9
    Options
    KayNYC said:

other suggestions
    I was recommended Tom's of Maine Deoderant. It works ok and is pretty easy to find in the chain drug stores. I also use the all natural CRYSTAL deoderant stick but my Onc prefers I not use it before my treatments. I usually put it on after treatments and after slattering on Aquaphor.It does seem to work better than the Tom's of Maine. Haven't tried the Arm and Hammer deoderant.
    That must have been great to hear that your expander surgery was done so well. You will do fine with rad treatments and the time goes by so quickly that you will be done before you know it.
    Hugs, K

Hi K
    Yeah several doctors have complimented my expander. I guess when I have the exchange it will be nice since evryone thinks the expander looks so great-

rene9
  • rene9
    Options
    rene9 said:

Ok-
    Ok, I went and bought a couple more arm & hammer with baking soda. It's a natural deodorant and I like it over that cornstarch. I also noticed it is paraben free and aluminum free, so I'll continue to use this deodorant after radiation. Eventually, I plan to use only products that are paraben free. It can't hurt to use natural ingredients-

rene9

Hi all!
    Had my 1st radiation today. I can do the machine buzzing over my head everyday versus a needle in my port any day! I decided to go at 10:30 am everyday. It was that or 2:30 (I asked what they had available) I can be flexible since I'm a teacher and off for the summer).So, 1 down and 27 more to go!

rene9
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    rene9 said:

Hi all!
    Had my 1st radiation today. I can do the machine buzzing over my head everyday versus a needle in my port any day! I decided to go at 10:30 am everyday. It was that or 2:30 (I asked what they had available) I can be flexible since I'm a teacher and off for the summer).So, 1 down and 27 more to go!

rene9

Fantatic news!!! So glad
    Fantatic news!!! So glad you are started, it'll go very quickly. Take care.
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    GayleMc said:

Fantatic news!!! So glad
    Fantatic news!!! So glad you are started, it'll go very quickly. Take care.

Congratulations!
    Super Duper, the count down has started... Yea!!! My first is 6/10, and I still need to buy the Arm and Hammer deodorant. Wishing you the Best - Carrie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Congratulations!
    Super Duper, the count down has started... Yea!!! My first is 6/10, and I still need to buy the Arm and Hammer deodorant. Wishing you the Best - Carrie

excellent, you will get so
    excellent, you will get so you know exactly what they are going to do and in what sequence with the buzzing too. then when something changes you notice. and when they say the numbers you know them by heart. I had a rough time with chemo and rads was just fine.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    You'll just do "glowing"
    So begins the rads road. I did pretty good myself. Finished 1/9/10.My skin in that area is silky soft. I had freckles and there all gone, at least in that area. lol Fluids, fluids, fluids!!! Nap,nap,napsss, lots of cream, lots of cream! I used aquaphor/lidocaine mixure. Also, I didn't see anyone mention getting Old man tees,also known as wife beaters. There cheap and if ur cream of choice stains, it won't matter. I did towards the end kind of blister and was very tender, so if that happens, they may give u Silvadene. That's a burn cream. I didn't have boosters. My tumor was removed bf chemo/rads. Mine WAS a very aggressive tumor, and tripled in sz in 2 months. HER+, ER and PR positive,Stage3c IDC. 18 of of 30 nodes positive. Boosters target just where ur tumor was. They gave me max doses each time. No boosters, but 35 "Hits". I think you'll do great, cause reading ur posts, you sound positive and ready for the race. I'll be thinking of you and ur hair. Sending positive thoughts to you and ur hair. lol My hair is at the akward stage of growth. Used to be down the middle of my back. Now were at 4". Keep updating. Gayla
  • KayNYC
    Options
    Katz77 said:

You'll just do "glowing"
    So begins the rads road. I did pretty good myself. Finished 1/9/10.My skin in that area is silky soft. I had freckles and there all gone, at least in that area. lol Fluids, fluids, fluids!!! Nap,nap,napsss, lots of cream, lots of cream! I used aquaphor/lidocaine mixure. Also, I didn't see anyone mention getting Old man tees,also known as wife beaters. There cheap and if ur cream of choice stains, it won't matter. I did towards the end kind of blister and was very tender, so if that happens, they may give u Silvadene. That's a burn cream. I didn't have boosters. My tumor was removed bf chemo/rads. Mine WAS a very aggressive tumor, and tripled in sz in 2 months. HER+, ER and PR positive,Stage3c IDC. 18 of of 30 nodes positive. Boosters target just where ur tumor was. They gave me max doses each time. No boosters, but 35 "Hits". I think you'll do great, cause reading ur posts, you sound positive and ready for the race. I'll be thinking of you and ur hair. Sending positive thoughts to you and ur hair. lol My hair is at the akward stage of growth. Used to be down the middle of my back. Now were at 4". Keep updating. Gayla

Two radiation treatments to go.
    Well two to go and I complete radiation tx. I told them I'll do the grad walk out the department on Friday. I won't miss the treatments but I will miss my wonderful radiation oncology team. I have a follow-up with my Rad Onc already scheduled for July 12. The breast is pink now and under it has turned a dirty tan color. Just a little itching that is controlled with hydrocortisone cream and the aloe vera gel. I am looking forward to healing and the abilty to wear a bra again. Clothes just don't fit properly without the bra it seems.
    Looking forward to a little celebrating on Friday. No more 5 AM alarm settings. I will be able to sleep until 7 AM. Hurray!
    Hugs, K
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    WELL RENEE YOU ARE AHEAD OF ME
    Haven't started radiation yet. I have moved in the midst of my treatment and this had delayed my start date which concerns me. Not sure if waiting 6 weeks after my surgery will cause problems and maybe give the cancer a chance to return sooner. I have an appointment with my oncologists on June 30th which is 2 more weeks, this all seems to be taking so long to be over. I am also experiencing pain since my lumpectomy 3 weeks ago, is this normal. I feel like every time my boobs bounce as I walk there is pain and I find myself holding on to my sore breast to protect it. Would love to have a support group to talk about all the changes so I am happy to have found you all.

Good luck Renee and keep me updated.
  • rene9
    Options

WELL RENEE YOU ARE AHEAD OF ME
    Haven't started radiation yet. I have moved in the midst of my treatment and this had delayed my start date which concerns me. Not sure if waiting 6 weeks after my surgery will cause problems and maybe give the cancer a chance to return sooner. I have an appointment with my oncologists on June 30th which is 2 more weeks, this all seems to be taking so long to be over. I am also experiencing pain since my lumpectomy 3 weeks ago, is this normal. I feel like every time my boobs bounce as I walk there is pain and I find myself holding on to my sore breast to protect it. Would love to have a support group to talk about all the changes so I am happy to have found you all.

Good luck Renee and keep me updated.

Thx everyone!
    Thx everyone! My second day of radiation was 15 minutes and went ok. I get zapped in 3 places and its over! All of you are great! This is why I can get through this! I am on this board like I am on Facebook! I love this support! Yes, I am about to post something new about the hair- Thanks again!

rene9
  • marcieb.
    marcieb. Member Posts: 2
    Options
    rene9 said:

Thx everyone!
    Thx everyone! My second day of radiation was 15 minutes and went ok. I get zapped in 3 places and its over! All of you are great! This is why I can get through this! I am on this board like I am on Facebook! I love this support! Yes, I am about to post something new about the hair- Thanks again!

rene9

More advice...from someone who's been there too
    Hi Rene & others, congrats on getting through so much of the process already! Also, good job on keeping yourself connected with others. Support makes all the difference. And when your treatment is complete, you'll find yourself feeling more and more free, plus stronger for what you have gone through. And you'll have a bond with other survivors that really beautiful. Keep going! You can make it!!

If your skin starts breaking down from the rads. You may want to look into Jeans Cream. When I went through treatment, a nurse recommended it to me. And it really helped. I didn't bother to get it until my skin was already red and peeling, but when I finally got it and put it on, my skin cooled right down and the red went away very quickly. I'd probably recommend people start it sooner than later, but as in my case, even later was still helpful. Here is info on how you can get it: some pharmacies & hospital gift shops carry it and also you can buy it online: http://www.jeanscream.com/

(note: It is a little pricey, but a worthwhile investment if your skin is in trouble.)

My prayers are with you all! Remember, this isn't your whole life, this is just a blip in the long and beautiful timeline of your life.
  • rene9
    Options
    marcieb. said:

More advice...from someone who's been there too
    Hi Rene & others, congrats on getting through so much of the process already! Also, good job on keeping yourself connected with others. Support makes all the difference. And when your treatment is complete, you'll find yourself feeling more and more free, plus stronger for what you have gone through. And you'll have a bond with other survivors that really beautiful. Keep going! You can make it!!

If your skin starts breaking down from the rads. You may want to look into Jeans Cream. When I went through treatment, a nurse recommended it to me. And it really helped. I didn't bother to get it until my skin was already red and peeling, but when I finally got it and put it on, my skin cooled right down and the red went away very quickly. I'd probably recommend people start it sooner than later, but as in my case, even later was still helpful. Here is info on how you can get it: some pharmacies & hospital gift shops carry it and also you can buy it online: http://www.jeanscream.com/

(note: It is a little pricey, but a worthwhile investment if your skin is in trouble.)

My prayers are with you all! Remember, this isn't your whole life, this is just a blip in the long and beautiful timeline of your life.

Thx MarcieB!
    Thank you for this information!

rene9
  • scorpio37
    scorpio37 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    pattimc said:

Radiation
    Radiation is NOT a walk in the park, but compared to chemo it was much easier for me. I did end up burning some at the end and I was extremely tired. Just be sure to use your creams and rest when you are tired.

Congrats on finishing chemo! Is radiation it for you? If so, you're almost there!!!

Patti

radiation
    I have 1 more chemo to go (July 1), my question is how long after last chemo does radiation begin? My son returns from Iraq and I would like to be there and it is out of state. My oncologist made it sound like I can't delay radiation is that correct. Any help is appreciated. thanks