I DID IT! I went out in public ALL DAY yesterday topless! Read on....

Options
TawnyS
TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finally worked up the courage to go without a scarf! I can't believe it! I did it! I am so happy! I went everywhere! I had to go to the doctor, so I thought ok I can do this. Then I had to go to the therapist, so I thought ok I can do this. Then I figured....what the heck...just do it already! So I did! I went to a few stores and then grocery shopping. I loved it because all the ladies know me in the grocery store and one in particular last week asked if I had finished chemo. I told her yes (BTW...11 weeks post chemo today) and asked how long I was going to need the scarf. I told her maybe I'd lose it next week. So when she saw me from three checkout lanes down she totally yelled out to me and said I looked great without the scarf and was so proud of me. Of course all the other cashiers were smiling and all the customers were looking and smiling and stuff! It kinda made me feel more comfortable that she did that because then everyone in the entire grocery store knew I was recovering from chemo and cancer and just didn't have a jacked up hair cut! I also started my training for the Komen walk last night. Some of you may know that I just had expanders put in on the 10th then a 60cc fill on the 17th. I am now feeling better from that so I started walking. I go again on the 1st and yesterday I asked what kind of fill I should be expecting. 90cc to 120cc per! Yikes! I'll let ya'll know how that goes!

To all the women that have just been diagnosed...I have been reading your posts about how scared you are and how tired and painful and testing and everything. I am so sorry you all are going through this right now. This is an amazing place you've found with a group of people that are so knowledgeable, sweet, caring, loving and brave! I just can't keep up and post to each one of you, but I do want you to know that I am always thinking about each of you and I want you all to know that I too was there just in August 2009. I never in a million years then would have thought 9 months (really even sooner than that) later I would be posting such a thread as the one above. To think I would feel as good as I do now...I never thought it possible again. To feel such empowerment and uplifting from taking the final steps of this battle of a beast. Trust me and everyone else here that is supporting you through your journey....it will get better. Stay strong survivor sisters! :)

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Tawny...
    I am so happy for you! It takes alot of courage and I'm really proud of you! I know what you mean about the grocery store. I have lots of clerks that know me (plus the pharmacists there)and they have been so supportive of me throughout this ordeal.

It feels great to have people in your corner rooting for you!

Enjoy your new found freedom!

Patti
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Tawny
    Congratulations on making it without the scarf - it is great to see that others that have that same "fear" ca do it! Your note is a great inspiration to all of those who are coming behind you and gives us encouragement and hope. Thank you!

Chris
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

Tawny
    Congratulations on making it without the scarf - it is great to see that others that have that same "fear" ca do it! Your note is a great inspiration to all of those who are coming behind you and gives us encouragement and hope. Thank you!

Chris

You go!!!!
    I love your energy and hope and positivity. And yes, the sassiness required to tell yourself at each step, "Okay, I can do this." And you were right!!! You did it.

You put a big smile on my face this morning. Thank you.

Victoria
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    aisling8 said:

You go!!!!
    I love your energy and hope and positivity. And yes, the sassiness required to tell yourself at each step, "Okay, I can do this." And you were right!!! You did it.

You put a big smile on my face this morning. Thank you.

Victoria

Awesome Tawny!
    Powerful and Victorious!!
  • shaggy420
    shaggy420 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    that is awesome that you are
    that is awesome that you are able to do something like that. I give you highpower. I hope if I have to have chemo and lose my hair I will have the strength that you have.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    shaggy420 said:

that is awesome that you are
    that is awesome that you are able to do something like that. I give you highpower. I hope if I have to have chemo and lose my hair I will have the strength that you have.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

-- --

=
    \______/
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Tawney, you put a big smile
    Tawney, you put a big smile on my face, too. I knew you could do it...when YOU were ready. You rock!!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Doesn't topless feel GREAT?????
    I never wore a wig, and only used hats and scarves when it was cold, or it was a formal affair....then, I stuck a bow on my head (those things that you used for bald babies...right?)

Hugs to a great lady!
    Kathi
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    congratulations
    That is great. I love your positive and "do it" attitude. It is so inspiring to hear that my fellow pink warriors are getting on with it and living their lives to the fullest. :)
    Hugs,
    KayNYC
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Congratulations
    I have been going bare headed for about 2 weeks now. Still a lttle aprehensive about it sometimes but keep on doing it anyway. Everybody keeps telling me I look great and what a nice round head I have. Ha Ha

I am now crocheting little caps and hats to donate to the ladies who are still taking chemo at the clinic where I did. I asked the chemo nurses if I brought them in would they see that those who needed/wanted them got them and they said that they would. I also plan on giving some to our local ACS. Just my way of giving back and saying thanks.

Sending hugs

Donna
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Girl
    So glad you've been able to shed the hair coverings. It's such a great feeling of freedom, isn't it? I'm sure you're totally adorable with your cute little face. Everybody keeps telling me that I should keep my "sleek" hairdo - but I think I'll let it grow a bit longer... What fun to have enough hair again to enjoy feeling feminine. (I've been spending lots of $$$ on dangly earrings.)
    Much love, Tawny!
    Beth
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Thank you
    Thank you so much for your post. I am so happy for you. You are a inspiration to me as a beginner in this journey. You are the light at the end of the tunnel. You have given strength to many ladies with your words. God bless you. You are a beautiful person.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    kudos sweet lady!! This is
    kudos sweet lady!! This is quite a step!.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

kudos sweet lady!! This is
    kudos sweet lady!! This is quite a step!.

Awesome!!!!

Awesome!!!!
  • Quiltngal
    Quiltngal Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Courage!
    I am new here...and what a joy to find this post! Your courage sends out such volumes of hope for others. Congratulations!
    It is amazing how supportive the public is for people with Cancer. I am much more aware of those who have Cancer..because they do go out in public as you have..AWARENESS! I always say a prayer at the moment I see someone I can tell has had or going through chemo.
    I wear my Pink Ribbon pin everywhere and the responses are overwhelming with kindness.

They know...they care!!

Quiltngal
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Tawny

Chris

WOOHOO Tawny! You go girl!

WOOHOO Tawny! You go girl!
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Quiltngal said:

Courage!
    I am new here...and what a joy to find this post! Your courage sends out such volumes of hope for others. Congratulations!
    It is amazing how supportive the public is for people with Cancer. I am much more aware of those who have Cancer..because they do go out in public as you have..AWARENESS! I always say a prayer at the moment I see someone I can tell has had or going through chemo.
    I wear my Pink Ribbon pin everywhere and the responses are overwhelming with kindness.

They know...they care!!

Quiltngal

Woo-hoo!
    I went topless last

Woo-hoo!

I went topless last week, too! Much, much cooler this time of year!! ;)
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Tawny, u r awesome!
    Way to

Tawny, u r awesome!
    Way to go! You're so courageous! I can't wait to go topless. I've graduated from full coverage scarves to just regular ball caps but it'll be a while before I'm comfortable with nothing. Looking forward to my first topless day, though!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm going topless on the beaches in Europe...everyone does..
    Oh, wait you DID mean without a swimsuit top, right????

Hugs, Kathi
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm going topless on the beaches in Europe...everyone does..
    Oh, wait you DID mean without a swimsuit top, right????

Hugs, Kathi

Congrats, Tawny. Kathi,
    Congrats, Tawny. Kathi, since I never wear my prothesis, can I legally go topless on any beach or will I get arrested for nudity?????? LOL