Hairloss 911

Options

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Christine Louise,
    I think France Luxe only had silk when I ordered mine -- the silk is luxurious and made me feel like I was spoiling myself, which was wonderful, but also a little bit slippery on my head. If I had my choice, I think I might go with the cotton.

Traci

Thanks, Traci. Hot head has
    Thanks, Traci. Hot head has suddenly become a huge issue. Love the silk but I believe I'll request a cotton. The proprietor is very sweet. Thanks again for the tip.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    I purchased 2 chemo scarfs
    I purchased 2 chemo scarfs at the Cancer Center Hair salon. It's a cap that covers the head with the exterior scarf looking like a western scarf. They were rather expensive so then I decided to go to Walmart and purchased several western type kerchiefs in several different colors at 99 cents each. In addition I wore my trusty dusty wig which I actually cant stand any longer. I never could do the larger scarfs with all the twisting and braiding, I was all thumbs. My walmart scarfs became my mainstay.

It was so freeing to finally get rid of the remnants of hair that were still falling and blowing away in the wind. I did receive a scarf from franceluxe which is very attractive but it didnt fit very well. I highly recommend cotton.

I finally decided to give up the scarfs last Tuesday and am now walking around with some grey stubble which seems to be growing. I lost my hair in October 09 and now its really starting to grow again. Taking the scarf off last Tuesday was the biggest step I have taken with this hair loss. I knew loosing it was unavoidable so I accepted it, but actually walking around with this stubble has taken some courage. Please remember that there is a finish line and this is a temporary state of discomfort.
  • GenieM27
    GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I just wear a hat or my wig
    I didn't really do the scarves. My chemo was during the winter months so I just wore a knitted hat or a wig. My head too was very senistive so I tried a lot a of hats. I did shave my head before it started falling out because I didn't want to deal (mentally) with my hair falling out.

Before I had cancer I recall hearing ladies talk about their hair falling out and how defastating that was to them. I remember thinking lady you have cancer be happy you are going to live, your hair will grow back eventually. However, now that I'm going through it - it's different (humbled smile). When I lost my hair, my eye lashes, eye brows - I felt like my identity as woman was being taken away. I'd look in the mirror and I didn't even recognize myself. My hair is starting to grow back now and it's taken some time to adjust to my "new" look. My family and friends (and all of you) are really helping through this process. My confidence is growing every day. (smile).

Blessings to you!
    Genie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I also could not tie a
    I also could not tie a scarf. www.headcovers.com also has pre tied scarfs.

You can google it, or, the
    You can google it, or, the TLC store at ACS has instructions too for you.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    il2read2 said:

I'm just waiting!!
    Merle, I am just waiting..... It is day 7 for me. I was thinking about going ahead and shaving but don't know if I have the courage...

Jan

When and if you decide to
    When and if you decide to shave your head il2read2, you will do it or have someone else do it. There is no rush, just whenever you feel ready to do it. All of you that took chemo and lost your hair are so courageous and so brave. I hope you all know that!
  • il2read2
    il2read2 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    susie09 said:

When and if you decide to
    When and if you decide to shave your head il2read2, you will do it or have someone else do it. There is no rush, just whenever you feel ready to do it. All of you that took chemo and lost your hair are so courageous and so brave. I hope you all know that!

I did it! I had my
    I did it! I had my son-in-law shave my head on Sunday! It wasn't as bad as I had thought. Today I went out with nothing on my head...
  • MerleBee
    MerleBee Member Posts: 49
    Options
    GenieM27 said:

I just wear a hat or my wig
    I didn't really do the scarves. My chemo was during the winter months so I just wore a knitted hat or a wig. My head too was very senistive so I tried a lot a of hats. I did shave my head before it started falling out because I didn't want to deal (mentally) with my hair falling out.

Before I had cancer I recall hearing ladies talk about their hair falling out and how defastating that was to them. I remember thinking lady you have cancer be happy you are going to live, your hair will grow back eventually. However, now that I'm going through it - it's different (humbled smile). When I lost my hair, my eye lashes, eye brows - I felt like my identity as woman was being taken away. I'd look in the mirror and I didn't even recognize myself. My hair is starting to grow back now and it's taken some time to adjust to my "new" look. My family and friends (and all of you) are really helping through this process. My confidence is growing every day. (smile).

Blessings to you!
    Genie

What a rough few days!
    Well my hair has been coming out in handfuls since last Wednesday (Day 14). Today is Day 20 and there is not much left but my scalp is pink and tender. I have had positive comments on my wig...but i am just so sad. When it first started coming out and my sink filled with hair my husband said "Well, what did you expect. You knew it was going to come out.", and then he left the room.

I know exactly what Genie means about the "It's only hair...it will grow back, do what you can to stay alive" comments. I actually got that about my bilateral masectomy too...and by the way they don't grow back...hahahaha. I think I am mourning my hair loss so much becuase I didn't let myself mourn before or after the masectomy...The sense of loss is enormous.

Thanks for all the info and feed back!

Merle
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    MerleBee said:

What a rough few days!
    Well my hair has been coming out in handfuls since last Wednesday (Day 14). Today is Day 20 and there is not much left but my scalp is pink and tender. I have had positive comments on my wig...but i am just so sad. When it first started coming out and my sink filled with hair my husband said "Well, what did you expect. You knew it was going to come out.", and then he left the room.

I know exactly what Genie means about the "It's only hair...it will grow back, do what you can to stay alive" comments. I actually got that about my bilateral masectomy too...and by the way they don't grow back...hahahaha. I think I am mourning my hair loss so much becuase I didn't let myself mourn before or after the masectomy...The sense of loss is enormous.

Merle

Its hard for our hubbies to
    Its hard for our hubbies to see us sad and they dont know what to say. But the reality is it is sad! Its a good thing hair grows back, but it is a reminder of your cancer to yourself and those around you. I used scarves more often but I felt lousy and it was easier. I got pretty used to it after a while. I am having a hard time with it growing back as its not quick enough for me and I dont see myself in this style. I also feel better so I dont have feeling sick to take my focus away. when I feel bad I remember the posts on these lovely ladies who talk about the hair regrowth and know I will be there someday. I also remember how far I have come. I buzzed my hair prior to it falling out. I had CMF chemo in the past and my hair thinned considerably, and it would come out in handfuls, so I wanted to avoid that. this is the first time I have lost my hair totally.so after my long winded reply, I feel your sadness and I get it, as we all do. it will pass and you will recover. Hugs to you and more.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    MerleBee said:

What a rough few days!

Merle

Sorry you are having rough
    Sorry you are having rough days. It is very understandable. Losing your hair is not only a shock, but, it hurts emotionally. I bet you look great in the meantime in your wig!
  • jd1224
    jd1224 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    jnl said:

Sorry you are having rough
    Sorry you are having rough days. It is very understandable. Losing your hair is not only a shock, but, it hurts emotionally. I bet you look great in the meantime in your wig!

I know the feeling
    I lost my hair after my second treatment. I was always saying "I'm not that vane about my hair, it will grow back". The truth is that it sucks to lose your hair but i did find a wig that looks so much like my own hair that a lot of people didn't realize it was a wig. Still, the loss of our hair is devastating no matter how much we prepare ourselves mentally for it. I tend to tie a bandanna around my head when I'm home and wear my wig when I'm out. There are so many cute scarves out there that are inexpensive. Our family's love us with or without our hair! I just keep telling myself it will come back better than it was.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    MerleBee said:

What a rough few days!

Merle

I think you need a big hug,
    I think you need a big hug, so, here it is Merle! (((((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))))

Hope it helped!

Sue :)
  • IsabelSierra
    IsabelSierra Member Posts: 40
    Options
    MerleBee said:

What a rough few days!

Merle

I was with my mom every step of the way
    My mom too lost her hair after her first chemo, around day 10. I would help her shower and cry silently becasue it hurt me soo much that it would just fall and fall i couldnt do anything to stop it!!! It gets me very angry when i think about it still, and i too didnt know how to tie the headcovers on her aswell i earned myself 75 dollars one day and i had 20 more so i went to the store and bought headcovers for my mom i wasted 94 dollars on!! bad thing was when i got home i didnt know how to put them!
    But i went to the Look Good Feel Better workshop i signed my mom up for and they taught me there!! Now i put them on my mom every morning she has almost every color and we recently got her a wig, shes trying to get a little comfortable with wearing one but i tell her she doesnt have to if she doesnt want to, she looks just fine with the headcovers, just like im sure u do too! I know its hard and heavy in your heart to see your hair just fall and fall, but be strong and those comments about its just hair it will grow back, my mom had them too, i felt like they didnt understand how painful it was to you, i know how much it hurt my mom and i made it worse by letting it hit me the most as well im her primary caregiver so she would see me cry about it a lot. Be strong, u will get used to seeing yourself with beautiful headcovers, u will feel unique and in style when u go out for the groceries (:

Good Luck On Your Fight!
    You Can Do It Be Strong!

Isabel
  • MerleBee
    MerleBee Member Posts: 49
    Options

I was with my mom every step of the way
    My mom too lost her hair after her first chemo, around day 10. I would help her shower and cry silently becasue it hurt me soo much that it would just fall and fall i couldnt do anything to stop it!!! It gets me very angry when i think about it still, and i too didnt know how to tie the headcovers on her aswell i earned myself 75 dollars one day and i had 20 more so i went to the store and bought headcovers for my mom i wasted 94 dollars on!! bad thing was when i got home i didnt know how to put them!
    But i went to the Look Good Feel Better workshop i signed my mom up for and they taught me there!! Now i put them on my mom every morning she has almost every color and we recently got her a wig, shes trying to get a little comfortable with wearing one but i tell her she doesnt have to if she doesnt want to, she looks just fine with the headcovers, just like im sure u do too! I know its hard and heavy in your heart to see your hair just fall and fall, but be strong and those comments about its just hair it will grow back, my mom had them too, i felt like they didnt understand how painful it was to you, i know how much it hurt my mom and i made it worse by letting it hit me the most as well im her primary caregiver so she would see me cry about it a lot. Be strong, u will get used to seeing yourself with beautiful headcovers, u will feel unique and in style when u go out for the groceries (:

Good Luck On Your Fight!
    You Can Do It Be Strong!

Isabel

ThankYou!
    Thank you for your heartfelt and understanding response. Your mother is so very lucky to have you by her side! You too are a Strong Pink Warrior!

Merle
  • IsabelSierra
    Options
    MerleBee said:

ThankYou!
    Thank you for your heartfelt and understanding response. Your mother is so very lucky to have you by her side! You too are a Strong Pink Warrior!

Merle

Your welcome
    She tells me the same too, i do a lot for her and shes fighting and being strong thru this fight for me and my sisters! You be strong and hand in there, im assuming you have just started chemo treatment, my mom still has 2 more chemos to go, be patient it will all be over soon and you will be able to continue on with just your normal life, the chemo pain wont last forever. Its tough its hard but its not stronger or tougher than you!
    GoodLuck!
  • IsabelSierra
    Options
    MerleBee said:

ThankYou!

Merle

Your welcome
    She tells me the same too, i do a lot for her and shes fighting and being strong thru this fight for me and my sisters! You be strong and hand in there, im assuming you have just started chemo treatment, my mom still has 2 more chemos to go, be patient it will all be over soon and you will be able to continue on with just your normal life, the chemo pain wont last forever. Its tough its hard but its not stronger or tougher than you!
    GoodLuck!
  • remi1996
    remi1996 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    MerleBee said:

What a rough few days!

Merle

hair loss
    I am starting chemo/herceptin on wednesday and my biggest fear is the hair loss, go figure. I already ordered my wig from a breast cancer image recovery center, tried it on last week. I will go and shave my head at their place as soon as my hair starts to thin, I so don't want to wake up with hair all over. I am so scared of that.
    I certainly understand how you feel because so many women have told me that was one of the hardest parts of the chemo

Isabel
  • fino11298
    fino11298 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    MerleBee said:

Losing It...
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It is day 16 and the hair is coming out in handfuls...I am in work and in a wig..I am told it looks like my real hair...think that's a stretch but i don't feel as wierd wearing it as I thought I would. I finally found a wig shop that knew how to fit a wig and this has made all the difference (the owner lost her hair 8 years ago and opened the shop as a result of the horrible time she had finding a wig herself, so she definitely gets it!). It seems so lame in the face of surgeries, chemo, infections, bloodclots, etc. to complain about hair, but the loss just huge for me. However the tenderness of my scalp has me thinking, "OK FALL OUT ALREADY!" I have a friend on standby to buzz if I get to that point!

Everyone have a wonderful Holiday weekend!

Merle

Losing it...
    So sorry to hear how difficult losing your hair can be. I am scheduled for my first chemo on Monday and I'm scared to death! I have some wigs standing by, but the thought of losing my hair is making me feel sick. Hope you are getting through your days ok. My heart aches for you. fino
  • fino11298
    fino11298 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    MerleBee said:

Losing It...
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It is day 16 and the hair is coming out in handfuls...I am in work and in a wig..I am told it looks like my real hair...think that's a stretch but i don't feel as wierd wearing it as I thought I would. I finally found a wig shop that knew how to fit a wig and this has made all the difference (the owner lost her hair 8 years ago and opened the shop as a result of the horrible time she had finding a wig herself, so she definitely gets it!). It seems so lame in the face of surgeries, chemo, infections, bloodclots, etc. to complain about hair, but the loss just huge for me. However the tenderness of my scalp has me thinking, "OK FALL OUT ALREADY!" I have a friend on standby to buzz if I get to that point!

Everyone have a wonderful Holiday weekend!

Merle

losing it..
    How are you coping with the hair loss? I'm going for the new hairdo on Monday. I really don't want my hair falling out in clumps. Did you finally go for the buzz? I'm set up for wigs, scarves and hats. Not happy about the dumbo ears coming through when the time comes. LOL

Hope you are well. For some reason your posts stand out to me. Maybe we have more in common than cancer. Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    remi1996 said:

hair loss
    I am starting chemo/herceptin on wednesday and my biggest fear is the hair loss, go figure. I already ordered my wig from a breast cancer image recovery center, tried it on last week. I will go and shave my head at their place as soon as my hair starts to thin, I so don't want to wake up with hair all over. I am so scared of that.
    I certainly understand how you feel because so many women have told me that was one of the hardest parts of the chemo

Isabel

the same woman who did my
    the same woman who did my wig, buzzed my head when I was ready. I did not cry and it wasnt traumatic. I wore mostly scarves but the wig defiantely comes in handy. It would have been more traumatic to have it falling out all over. I get impatient because it is inconveinient *sp) but it isnt the worst thing.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    remi1996 said:

hair loss

Isabel

loosing my hair was hard for
    loosing my hair was hard for me too at first, cuz i had no idea what to do...i swore id wear a wig 24/7...well things change once it got to that point...i have never wore my wig and the only thing i do wear are bandanas!
    I think my kids took it harder than i did... everytime they looked at me i could see their eyes tearing up but they swear they just have something in their eye!!