hair loss with folfiri (vs folfox)

Options
taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
edited August 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Interested in hearing people's experiences regarding hair loss with FOLFIRI, especially as compared with FOLFOX. I had hair thinning with FOLFOX, but not total hair loss. I understand FOLFIRI causes more serious hair loss. Did anyone just have hair thinning with this?

I know, I have more important things to think about than this!......but hey it's important, too!

Tara

Comments

• C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Hair Loss
    I had the same hair thinning on both regimens. I was told to get a wig for Folfiri, so I did but I did not need it.

Catherine
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Hair Loss
    I had the same hair thinning on both regimens. I was told to get a wig for Folfiri, so I did but I did not need it.

Catherine
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    Options
    more thinning on folfiri
    I didn't lose hair on folfox but I did lose about half my hair on folfiri. It's been about a year since I was on folfiri and my hair has come back in a little. It's still thin though but I can't complain. No one other than me or my husband notices the difference. Jill
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Options
    jillpls said:

more thinning on folfiri
    I didn't lose hair on folfox but I did lose about half my hair on folfiri. It's been about a year since I was on folfiri and my hair has come back in a little. It's still thin though but I can't complain. No one other than me or my husband notices the difference. Jill

Hair Loss
    FOLFOX... no hair loss

FOLFIRI... major hair loss, eventually shaved head.

Rob; in Vancouver

(Currently with coarse, curly ERBITUX hair!)
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Hi Tara
    Hi Tara,
    **** did not have hair loss on Folfox but he did have hair thinning on Folfori. Best to you. I understand that this is important too.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216
    Options
    Hair loss
    This is first time I have put on comment on board, but joined and have been following for awhile, thanks to all for sharing.

I was told no hair loss with folfox, so I was shocked when it did fall out, but my taste buds came back the same day, so I was happy for that. I did have a terrible reaction to folfox and only made it through 7, ended up in hospital, etc. Dr. said it was worse reaction he had seen. It will be one year almost and hair came back rather quickly with a beautiful texture, so it was all ok. I have not had anything since then and so far so good. I believe no hair loss is the usual for most others....

Pat
  • ADKer
    ADKer Member Posts: 147
    Options

Hair loss
    This is first time I have put on comment on board, but joined and have been following for awhile, thanks to all for sharing.

I was told no hair loss with folfox, so I was shocked when it did fall out, but my taste buds came back the same day, so I was happy for that. I did have a terrible reaction to folfox and only made it through 7, ended up in hospital, etc. Dr. said it was worse reaction he had seen. It will be one year almost and hair came back rather quickly with a beautiful texture, so it was all ok. I have not had anything since then and so far so good. I believe no hair loss is the usual for most others....

Pat

hair loss
    My first systemic chemo regimen (in addition to chemo through HAI pump) was oxaliplatin and irinotecan. I had only mild thinning of hair discernible only to me. About 6 months later, I did systemic irinotecan only. Within first month, I lost 60-70% of my hair and most of the rest over the next several months.

Of course, it does grow back; for me, with a vengeance.
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    ADKer said:

hair loss
    My first systemic chemo regimen (in addition to chemo through HAI pump) was oxaliplatin and irinotecan. I had only mild thinning of hair discernible only to me. About 6 months later, I did systemic irinotecan only. Within first month, I lost 60-70% of my hair and most of the rest over the next several months.

Of course, it does grow back; for me, with a vengeance.

I am interested in this too.
    I am interested in this too. I will be starting folfori or xeliri next week. My hair thinned a lot with folfox. I fouund a great product called XFusion Keratin Hair Fibers That come in different colors and you shake in on your scalp. It really helped my hair to look a lot better.

The thought of losing my hair still really scares me. I know that after a year of DX I should not be worried about this. I know in the big picture your hair is not important, but it will be devastating to me if I lose my hair. I bought a nice wig before I started Folfox, but didn't need it. My daughter is 14 and I think me losing my hair would be hard on her too.

Brenda
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options

I am interested in this too.
    I am interested in this too. I will be starting folfori or xeliri next week. My hair thinned a lot with folfox. I fouund a great product called XFusion Keratin Hair Fibers That come in different colors and you shake in on your scalp. It really helped my hair to look a lot better.

The thought of losing my hair still really scares me. I know that after a year of DX I should not be worried about this. I know in the big picture your hair is not important, but it will be devastating to me if I lose my hair. I bought a nice wig before I started Folfox, but didn't need it. My daughter is 14 and I think me losing my hair would be hard on her too.

Brenda

I didn't have hair loss with
    I didn't have hair loss with folfox, but lost most of it with folfiri. A lot of it is growing back in. My two daughters are totally ok with my hair loss + we make jokes etc. about it. I find that others (including daughters) take their cues from me + if I seem ok with it, they are too. Even my two little nieces (6 + 3 1/2) find my hair interesing, not scary. I have a little "brush" cut now + am quite comfortable going out with my short hair.
  • Erinb
    Erinb Member Posts: 293
    Options
    My husband has had 3 cycles
    My husband has had 3 cycles of FOLFIRI and his hair was very thick. It started to look patchy so he shaved it. Our oncologist said most often it 'thins'. I was happy to hear he wouldn't lose all of his hair (eyebrows, arm & leg hair etc..) Of course I love my husband unconditionally; I hate to see all of these side effects from the toxins that are in his body. I hope they are doing their job.
    Erin
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

a product that grows eyebrows?
    you really know something that can grow eyebrows? Due to a skin condition, I have been drawing on my eyebrows since I was 16 and have always dreamed of having real hair eyebrows! What product do you use? Of course, the hair follicles were damaged, which is why I don't have any eyebrows, wonder if that matters.
    mary
  • inizimij
    inizimij Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I was on FOLFOX for 8 months with no hair loss. Have just been switched to FOLFIRI and hair is falling out after 2 treatments 2 weeks apart. I wish it weren’t so, but I’m happy to be alive and still participate fully in everything I love.

• vivgrl
    vivgrl Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I lost all my hair on FOLFIRI. It's the Irinotecan that does it. I took it once for a short period and had some hair loss (but no one else could tell). Then I went on it again about 8 months later and within 2 months I was completely bald. (The fallout process was not fun). Six months after that, I went off the drug and my hair started growing back. It's a different color now and thicker than before and wavy.

• Shockwavevivo
    Shockwavevivo Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2022 #16
    Options

Hair loss after taking folfiri usually begins after 2-3 weeks. In most cases, this is reversible. The main thing is to follow two rules. First, when in the sun, be sure to wear a hat to avoid burning your skin. (Content removed by CSN Support Team.)

• Chris2328
    Chris2328 Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Bless your heart, Erin. I lost my boyfriend to Melanoma in 2016. It took many years to accept the pain he was in during his brief illness. I think that watching someone you love suffer is one of the hardest things we can experience as human beings. I took two months off work and cared for him as the cancer took him. Your love and care will be of great benefit to him. Even though seeing him suffer was extremely difficult, I take great comfort in the knowing that I stayed right by him the entire way and provided love and comfort. Peace to you.