OWWW! Help with healing from rads?

Mama G
Mama G Member Posts: 762
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It hurts to move, it hurts to sleep on that side, it hurts to touch, and it looks really close to bleeding. My doc has given me 3 ointments to use, but just wondering how long it takes to start working and how long til I'm seeing progress! I know part of the answer is the usual "everyone is different" but just wondering how you ladies handled it and if there is anything magical out there that I could ask for.
God bless you all!

(MY baby girl just graduated from FlagLer College in St. Augustine!! I'm so proud and HAPPY that I got to attend! Like my picture?)

Comments

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    I can't help with the
    I can't help with the healing problem i'm afraid,but i justed wanted to say what a lovely picture! I imagine you're one very proud lady right now,and rightly so! =)
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    rads.....
    My skin got very angry looking and raw from rads. My rad onc had me use Biafine religiously, and it did help over time.
    But honestly, I finished rads 14 months ago and my skin is still a bit "sore" feeling, although it looks ok.

Hugs,

CR
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    CR1954 said:

rads.....
    My skin got very angry looking and raw from rads. My rad onc had me use Biafine religiously, and it did help over time.
    But honestly, I finished rads 14 months ago and my skin is still a bit "sore" feeling, although it looks ok.

Hugs,

CR

Silvadene ointment
    Is what they gave me when my skin was like yours. Cleared it up pretty quickly. I know how much it hurts....so sorry!

Your picture is lovely! And so is your daughter! Congratulations!
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Hope you heal quickly!
    I mostly got sore around my armpit area. I was on Biafine but they prescribed Silvadene for just that area. It got bad in the end, but I think you are close to finishing. Within about 4 or 5 days of using the Silvadene, it got much better. Today is 2 weeks since I finished and I am nearly completely healed! I don't even feel sore under the skin anymore. I'm only using the cream twice a day now instead of three times and mostly just for the peeling. I hope you heal quickly too! And I LOVE your picture! You don't at all look like someone who has just finished cancer treatment. You look MARVELOUS!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I used Biafine for the dark
    I used Biafine for the dark pinkness that I got and lots of Aquaphor, and, I mean lots! It is really greasy and really keeps your skin moist and in good shape. But, if you use it, wear something like an old tshirt as it stains it and you might have to throw it away. Jeanne D gave that tip. You will heal quickly, believe it or not.

Did your rads oncologist prescribe anything different for you?

Healing thoughts sent to you! Sue :)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    It Will Get Better!
    For me, it took 6 weeks from the end of rads til the last scab was off the burned area (all of the radiated area). It was about 4 weeks when I started seeing healing in the least burned areas which then healed quickly - it was the deepest burn that took much longer. I was given Oxycodon during the worst of pain and then onto Vicodin as if healed. Luckily - the worst/deepest part of the burn was in an area under arm that never got any feeling back after surgery so I didn't feel what should have hurt horribly. I have minor scaring in almost the entire area but where was deepest is quite a scar.

My rads Dr. would have liked for me to have used Silvadene/Sulfadene but I'm allergic to sulfa so that was out. So what he had me do was 2 20 min. soaks a day with Domeboro (it's powder [or pills] you can get at a pharamacy from behind the counter but is not a 'script med) and slathered with Aquaphor the rest of the time. It weeped/oozed so much could not keep bandage on at all and the fliud would literally drip off and run down my body so I wore white T-shirts (changed ever hour to 2 hours when it was at it's worst).

Hang in there - it will get better though it doesn't seem like it now - it will. I came the closest to getting depressed when burned than at any other time. Now, approx 2 months after last of it healed it, seems more like a bad nightmare that never really happened.

(Flagler College has a beautiful campus - the old hotel is drop dead gorgeous! My brother went to the Deaf School in St. A. so I spent a bit of time in the area.)
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Mama
    I just finished #21 today and no burning yet, when does it start? Hope you heal up soon.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    laurissa said:

Hi Mama
    I just finished #21 today and no burning yet, when does it start? Hope you heal up soon.

For me - there had been
    For me - there had been 'tanning' and freckling, some dryness but no burn til the very end. Started getting a bit red by day 23 and by day 25/last I had what felt like a sunburn but definately tolerable. By the next morning it was much worse and it kept getting worse for a while. I first saw the Rad Dr on the second day post rads and it was all open by then.
  • Mama G
    Rague said:

For me - there had been
    For me - there had been 'tanning' and freckling, some dryness but no burn til the very end. Started getting a bit red by day 23 and by day 25/last I had what felt like a sunburn but definately tolerable. By the next morning it was much worse and it kept getting worse for a while. I first saw the Rad Dr on the second day post rads and it was all open by then.

Thanks Ya'll
    I'm using silvadene also, but only for 3 days so far. I guess I'm just a little too anxious for it to be over. Did anyone try freshly picked aloe? I was going to ask my dr about that. Today was the first day of the final 5 boosters to the scar area, so hopefully the rest will start to heal. One day at a time. My goodness Rague, you've reallly had it rough. You make me feel like a cry baby!
    God bless,
    Lorraine

by the way, she graduated with honors (3.8gpa)
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Mama G said:

Thanks Ya'll
    I'm using silvadene also, but only for 3 days so far. I guess I'm just a little too anxious for it to be over. Did anyone try freshly picked aloe? I was going to ask my dr about that. Today was the first day of the final 5 boosters to the scar area, so hopefully the rest will start to heal. One day at a time. My goodness Rague, you've reallly had it rough. You make me feel like a cry baby!
    God bless,
    Lorraine

by the way, she graduated with honors (3.8gpa)

uh-oh
    I'm on Day 16 and now you've got me worried.

More importantly, I wanted to say I love your hair, I love the picture of your family, and I love how proud of your daughter you are. You are all beautiful. Congratulations!!

Victoria
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    aisling8 said:

uh-oh
    I'm on Day 16 and now you've got me worried.

More importantly, I wanted to say I love your hair, I love the picture of your family, and I love how proud of your daughter you are. You are all beautiful. Congratulations!!

Victoria

beautiful picture. I am
    beautiful picture. I am getting worried too its day 23 out of 33. oh well one day at a time!!! I'll remember these remedies if I need them. right now i slather with aquaphor. 3 times a day..
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    pattimc said:

Silvadene ointment
    Is what they gave me when my skin was like yours. Cleared it up pretty quickly. I know how much it hurts....so sorry!

Your picture is lovely! And so is your daughter! Congratulations!

Silvadene is pretty good.
    Silvadene is pretty good. You might ask for it. I also used Biafine and Aquaphor, like so many others have. Good luck to you!

Your daughter is so beautiful!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Beautiful photo.
    Beautiful photo. congratulations on your baby girl's graduation. She is quite the looker. Now about your white hair, we dont live that far apart, would you be willing to send me some? :)
    I start rads on Monday so I have no suggestions but do pray your feeling some relief very soon.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    So sorry
    You're having such pain, but it sounds like the Silvadene you've been given will help. I've heard a lot of folks that also used Aloe, so I imagine that would be fine, but you already know to check with your doctor.

Once I started my boosters, the rest of the radiated area started to heal up pretty quickly, but I never got terribly burned. I did get pretty dark pink in a couple of areas, but the skin stayed intact. I used Miaderm lotion 3-4 times a day, and after about 3 weeks when the color started to show up, I used aloe gel) from the store, not from a plant) and Aquaphor at night, covered up by undershirts per Jeanne D/Traci's suggestion.

I hope the Silvadene does it's trick for you soon and that you're feeling better.

Love your pic - how justifiably proud you must be!

Cindy
  • Mama G

So sorry
    You're having such pain, but it sounds like the Silvadene you've been given will help. I've heard a lot of folks that also used Aloe, so I imagine that would be fine, but you already know to check with your doctor.

Once I started my boosters, the rest of the radiated area started to heal up pretty quickly, but I never got terribly burned. I did get pretty dark pink in a couple of areas, but the skin stayed intact. I used Miaderm lotion 3-4 times a day, and after about 3 weeks when the color started to show up, I used aloe gel) from the store, not from a plant) and Aquaphor at night, covered up by undershirts per Jeanne D/Traci's suggestion.

I hope the Silvadene does it's trick for you soon and that you're feeling better.

Cindy

Sivadene is helping!
    Just for you women who got worried after my post here, It does work!!! Only 5 days into it and I'm seeing improvement. Looks RED, but not as bumpy and not as painful. YIPPEE!!! Thanks for all the help, and especially thanks for letting me spout off when I need to.
    God bless you all.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Mama G said:

Sivadene is helping!
    Just for you women who got worried after my post here, It does work!!! Only 5 days into it and I'm seeing improvement. Looks RED, but not as bumpy and not as painful. YIPPEE!!! Thanks for all the help, and especially thanks for letting me spout off when I need to.
    God bless you all.

So glad you're feeling
    So glad you're feeling better! I didn't use fresh aloe but 100% aloe gel from a bottle. It did help cool me down. My doc gave me Carrasyn which is wound dressing gel. This worked well too.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Mama G said:

Sivadene is helping!
    God bless you all.

starting rads
    Thank you so much for posting. Your photo is wonderful and it looked like a very proud day and celebration. What a lovely family.
    Reading the postings to your message was very helpful. I will start rad treatment on 5/13. I chose the shorter course of rads (higher level of rads) with boosters (21days). I was given the choice of prone or supine position and chose the prone since it theoretically will direct less rads reaching the heart and lungs. They have already provided me with Aquaphor cream and instructions for use. Since I will have to wear dress- casual clothing to the office, I have a question. How did you ladies manage not ruining your clothes? I have a camisole and will get others. Unfortunately, most of the ones I have seen have lacy trim and my skin is still sensitive from the surgery. Men's white undershirts will show through my spring/summer blouses(tried with my husband's and the picture was not very flatering). Any suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks in advice for your help.
    K
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    KayNYC said:

starting rads
    Thank you so much for posting. Your photo is wonderful and it looked like a very proud day and celebration. What a lovely family.
    Reading the postings to your message was very helpful. I will start rad treatment on 5/13. I chose the shorter course of rads (higher level of rads) with boosters (21days). I was given the choice of prone or supine position and chose the prone since it theoretically will direct less rads reaching the heart and lungs. They have already provided me with Aquaphor cream and instructions for use. Since I will have to wear dress- casual clothing to the office, I have a question. How did you ladies manage not ruining your clothes? I have a camisole and will get others. Unfortunately, most of the ones I have seen have lacy trim and my skin is still sensitive from the surgery. Men's white undershirts will show through my spring/summer blouses(tried with my husband's and the picture was not very flatering). Any suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks in advice for your help.
    K

K, I went to Marshall's and
    K, I went to Marshall's and got camisoles (no lace) that had spandex in them. They were very soft and the spandex kept me from bouncing around. I think TraciInLA suggested on another post to wear the cotton mens undershirt with your bra over it. I didn't try this so I don't know how it worked out. Check out the other post on radiation questions--lots of good info. I'll bump it up so you can see it.
    Sher
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Beauitful
    You look great and congrats to ur daughter. Lots lots of silvidene aquaphor. Get some " wife beater" shirts. That sounds awful! There cheap and you can toss them after. Mine washed out pretty good though. Remember to keep applying creams after rads. It's the burn that keeps giving. lol Again congrats to you and ur beauitful family. Katz
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

So sorry

Cindy

Glad you are already
    Glad you are already improving! It does happen quickly, even though we don't think that at the time. And, like others have posted, keep using whatever is working for you for at least 2 weeks or more. I used mine for a month. You are still 'cookin'.

Diane