Last day of RADS

calvertcrafts
calvertcrafts Member Posts: 93 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Today was my last day of Rads! I'm really glad they're over but feeling very sad and depressed. I have been crying since I came home and I don't know why? It can't be because rads are over because I hated the treatments. I told my doc I would rather have had more chemo treatments. I felt like a baked potato in a microwave oven. Any idea what's causing all my tears?

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    First, congrats on finishing
    First, congrats on finishing rads. I think we all feel lost once we finish. It is like the end of our treatment, and, we don't know what to do. We felt secure and safe being treated, especially everyday, and, now we won't have that. Your feeling will pass and you will replace it with living your life again to its fullest. Just give yourself some time. And, crying seems to be a part of the bc journey, you are not alone in feeling that way or crying. Wishing you the best!
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Another rad grad...that's
    Another rad grad...that's great! I know the feelings you are having are not unique, others have certainly mentioned this...though i wouldn't presume to pin it down, it sounds like many of us feel as though we are actively engaged in the battle during treatment (chemo and/or rads). So, when it's all finally done, it's another emotional roller coaster.

I'm sorry you are feeling low...and know that it's ok! Blessings...
    Julie
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    wooohooo!
    Happy day's no more rads that is great news indeed. In regards to the tears I think many of us have had that reaction, its as if we have a form of post traumatic syndrome. We have done all the treatments and now what. Take a deep breath and enjoy your accomplishments, you have indeed come a long way!

CONGRATULATIONS!

RE
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Congratulations!
    That is HUGE, and yet I can also understand your tears, even though I haven't experienced that myself yet (still in rads). You're now entering a part of your life you never anticipated and there is so much unknown territory ahead. A life after treatment but with the fear of the return still lurking somewhere and the knowledge that that lurker will probably never totally go away.

Get some rest and heal your "potato" as you adjust to your new reality. There may be fear of the unknown ahead, but there is also joy - hope you find lots of the latter!!

Cindy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    RE said:

wooohooo!
    Happy day's no more rads that is great news indeed. In regards to the tears I think many of us have had that reaction, its as if we have a form of post traumatic syndrome. We have done all the treatments and now what. Take a deep breath and enjoy your accomplishments, you have indeed come a long way!

CONGRATULATIONS!

RE

Congrats!

Congrats!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Congrats on finishing rads
    Congrats on finishing rads today. I finished chemo today.

your reaction seems to be very common with us pink sisters. I had an onc nurse once tell me that breast cancer patients are easy to spot due to the emotions and tears emitted. It makes sense to me, hormone sense. I should have asked her if ovarian and uterine patients are as emotional as us BC patients.

As indicated I think your tears are a part of post traumatic stress syndrome. This BC and it's treatment takes over our life with surgeries, all kinds of doctors appointments, infusions, infections, fatigue, rads etc. etc. etc. We didn't want or ask for all this kind of activity, but it is and was necessary for us to thrive and survive. Now that we are no longer in the daily, weekly, and monthly grind of treatment it's almost like a let down. Maybe we ask "Now what do we do", knowing we did all that we needed to do and now it is done.
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    natly15 said:

Congrats on finishing rads
    Congrats on finishing rads today. I finished chemo today.

your reaction seems to be very common with us pink sisters. I had an onc nurse once tell me that breast cancer patients are easy to spot due to the emotions and tears emitted. It makes sense to me, hormone sense. I should have asked her if ovarian and uterine patients are as emotional as us BC patients.

As indicated I think your tears are a part of post traumatic stress syndrome. This BC and it's treatment takes over our life with surgeries, all kinds of doctors appointments, infusions, infections, fatigue, rads etc. etc. etc. We didn't want or ask for all this kind of activity, but it is and was necessary for us to thrive and survive. Now that we are no longer in the daily, weekly, and monthly grind of treatment it's almost like a let down. Maybe we ask "Now what do we do", knowing we did all that we needed to do and now it is done.

well said
    Congrats on finishing!!
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi calvert
    Congrad-rad-grad! I know exactly what you mean-treatment is done, now what? The anxiety will be there for awhile. I hope you feel better soon.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Congrats
    Congrats on the end of rads. I hated the drugery of going every day to get my chi-chi burned to a crisp. I think it signifies the end of a chapter in your life and sometimes the tears are like a release of things felt up to that point but never shared. But you got to keep going forward.

Congrats,

P
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Congratulations on finishing
    Congratulations on finishing rads. Now you can rest and begin the next stage of your life. It really is bittersweet but soon you'll begin to feel better. I still believe the best is yet to come and that's the day I get my dance with NED!! Take care and sending a ((((hug)))) your way!!!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulations on finishing
    Congratulations on finishing rads. Now you can rest and begin the next stage of your life. It really is bittersweet but soon you'll begin to feel better. I still believe the best is yet to come and that's the day I get my dance with NED!! Take care and sending a ((((hug)))) your way!!!

congratualtions. I am in
    congratualtions. I am in radiation now. I saw a woman who was crying, she was finished today. Its a long road. I am sure a bittersweet feeling. dont know the exact feelings but seems to be a common thing.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    carkris said:

congratualtions. I am in
    congratualtions. I am in radiation now. I saw a woman who was crying, she was finished today. Its a long road. I am sure a bittersweet feeling. dont know the exact feelings but seems to be a common thing.

I cried too..
    I finished today and cried all day....tears of joy and tears of relief I believe. Im not sad to be done..thats for sure. This has been such an emotional experience...I think its normal to cry.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Rads done
    Congratulations on finishing radiation therapy. Felt the very same way two weeks ago when I finished. I just felt like I should be doing something and there was nothing to do. I guess it just takes time... but I don't miss those daily visits.

Judy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Congrats on finishing.
    Congrats on finishing. Hooray.
    Stef
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Sam726 said:

I cried too..
    I finished today and cried all day....tears of joy and tears of relief I believe. Im not sad to be done..thats for sure. This has been such an emotional experience...I think its normal to cry.

Congrats on finishing rads!

Congrats on finishing rads!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Sharon40 said:

well said
    Congrats on finishing!!

CONGRATULATIONS! Lex♥
    CONGRATULATIONS!

Lex♥
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Congratulations!
    I didn't cry, but felt a little weird. Kind of surreal, like when you wake up from a dream and can't quite distinguish between the dream and reality.

Sue
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Life life!
    Congratulations on being done! We sure are just an emotional wreck, aren't we? I think from day one, it was hard for me to imagine crossing that finish line. Could I be as lucky as all these wonderful ladies on here that called themselves 'survivors'? I was so afraid I would never see that day. I'm two weeks short of joining you and I guess I don't know how I'll react until it's here. I know that I will be elated to be done with treatment. I know I wasn't as happy when I finished chemo as I thought I'd be, but I knew I still had five weeks of radiation ahead of me. We are all so unsure about our futures and it is understandable that we're worried about what lies ahead. BUT, there isn't a person in this entire world that can't say the same. No one knows their fate, so we've got to live life like everyone else... maybe even a little bit better because we've been given a 2nd chance and know a little about what it's like to be faced with the reality of our mortality.

Life is meant to be lived! Now that we've just taken a trip to hell, let's get back to living again!

Love, Mar
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Congratulations!
    I didn't cry, but felt a little weird. Kind of surreal, like when you wake up from a dream and can't quite distinguish between the dream and reality.

Sue

Congrats!
    Congrats!
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Marlene_K said:

Life life!
    Congratulations on being done! We sure are just an emotional wreck, aren't we? I think from day one, it was hard for me to imagine crossing that finish line. Could I be as lucky as all these wonderful ladies on here that called themselves 'survivors'? I was so afraid I would never see that day. I'm two weeks short of joining you and I guess I don't know how I'll react until it's here. I know that I will be elated to be done with treatment. I know I wasn't as happy when I finished chemo as I thought I'd be, but I knew I still had five weeks of radiation ahead of me. We are all so unsure about our futures and it is understandable that we're worried about what lies ahead. BUT, there isn't a person in this entire world that can't say the same. No one knows their fate, so we've got to live life like everyone else... maybe even a little bit better because we've been given a 2nd chance and know a little about what it's like to be faced with the reality of our mortality.

Life is meant to be lived! Now that we've just taken a trip to hell, let's get back to living again!

Love, Mar

Congrats on finishing the
    Congrats on finishing the rads! I equate the tears to the let down. During treatment you're up and fighting but now you're done and the emotions kick in. Hope you're feeling better soon!
    Sher