indecision

Options
Chemo_Princess
Chemo_Princess Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I saw my oncologist last week and she said the Avastin is slowly shrinking the tumor but she doesn't think it will completely shrink it. She said the only chance I have of being cancer free is another surgery--a colostomy which would likely be permenant(this is due to the tumor location). And of course the cancer could return at any time--so I would have a bag of poop attached to my stomach AND cancer. ugh. Just when I think I've had enough I'm thrown another curve ball. Because my cancer is so agressive I am 95% against surgery. I don't want to give up but darn it, I do not think I can get rid of this demon. And I will be SO ANGRY if I go thru such a life altering surgery only to have the cancer return. Keep in mind I'm 31 years old and single. I don't want to be 'poop bag' girl.
So I would like input from you ladies. What are your thoughts? Thanks! Blessings to all of you.
Natalie

Comments

• minky1225
    minky1225 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    It sounds as if you've already made up your mind
    If the tumor is shrinking right now than I would say not to make any harsh decisions. Just remember, you can always get a second opinion.
    Hugs,
    Allison
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    minky1225 said:

It sounds as if you've already made up your mind
    If the tumor is shrinking right now than I would say not to make any harsh decisions. Just remember, you can always get a second opinion.
    Hugs,
    Allison

Natalie
    This is really hard decision. Are you 100% sure it can't be reversed? I think I would choose something that will make my life more bearable and comfortable. I really wish you well deciding what to do but I'm sure you ought to get a second opinion for your own sanity. Much love and best wishes tina xxxxx
  • Natalie
    This is really hard decision. Are you 100% sure it can't be reversed? I think I would choose something that will make my life more bearable and comfortable. I really wish you well deciding what to do but I'm sure you ought to get a second opinion for your own sanity. Much love and best wishes tina xxxxx

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Chemo_Princess
    Options
    unknown said:

The tumor is on my rectum, she can feel it during the rectal exam. She said she's pretty sure the colostomy would be permenant, but she would have to get in there and see what things look like.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    pain?
    Is the tumor causing you pain or disrubting your bowel movments? Things I would want to know, before I did the surgery. How likely is it that the cancer would come back? Is having the tumor there increase the risk of the cancer spreading? I think I'd wait till I had to have the surgery due to pain or bowel obstruction. It's a tough choice!!! Good luck with your decision.
    The tumor is on my rectum, she can feel it during the rectal exam. She said she's pretty sure the colostomy would be permenant, but she would have to get in there and see what things look like.

• Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Can you continue Avastin?
    Hi, Natalie,

I don't want you to be a "poop bag" girl, either. That's one of my fears as well.

Can you ask your doctor about continuing the Avastin longer than planned? If it is shrinking it; then it sounds like it's working. Maybe the Avastin needs more time to work.

I met a lady with Ovarian, and she is in a Research Study which is 22 Avastin treatments, 3 weeks apart. That's all she's getting; no chemo. (So that means that Avastin must not have a 'limit' on the number of treatments, right?) I would certainly ask your doctor if this is an option.

And yes, I would also get a 2nd opinion; especially if you have another Gynecology Oncologist in your area.

You will be in my prayers tonight along with everybody else on this site.

I'm sure that the decision you make will be the right one.

All the best~
    ~Susan xoxo
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Each of us is different
    Dear Natalie,

There is a wonderful women who is a care giver and her daughter has a bag and is only now sixteen. Everyone is different, I have had a tumor that has been on my rectum and colon wall for a long time and now has infiltrated the rectum wall. It is not fun dealing with not being able to have a normal bowel movement, causing your to bloat and be in pain, dealing with bowel blockage after blockage~ then diarhea.

I heard several stories from those living with colostomy, they play soccer, tennis and are way more active than I can be at this time. I guess for me the question was, do I end up in emergency department with a bowel blockage and emergency surgery or do I have surgery with the Drs being more in charge and bowels empty and clean. I know I am older than you, but still have a lot of life I would like to live. My cancer has never been gone either and it is seven years now and I know this surgery well not make cancer free.

Someone from the colon rectal cancer board shared that some people poop at the front and some out the back and when see them on the street you would never know. I pray you do not base your choices on just wearing a bag, but on what is best for you and whether you want to try to live a long long time or if you are feeling it is not worth the surgery and recovery time it would take, because you want to live life to fullest right now, with what time you have and not spend any of it recovering from another surgery. To me that is what we base our choices on, and remember that cancer and what we have to do to live with cancer can never change who you are. :-)

For me, I have chosen surgery, I have chosen to give it another shot and know that I well not be cancer free but I well have better quality of life or at least given it my best shot. I was told my cancer and tumors are very invasive and they may not be able to remove them but still chose surgery over a bowel blockage ~ lots of women with ovarian cancer die from bowel blockages. These are my thoughts, use what you like and ignore the ones you do not agree with it. As I said it is an individual choice. There is a women at church that is only 38 and chose no more treatments because her breast cancer is invasive and it well never go away, everyone's answer to what they do is different. Praying God's clarity adn peace for you.

Sending you lots of Hugs ♥ Prayers

Bonnie
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

God Send
    You were suppose to visit here and share... thank you so much for sharing. God Bless You in your upcoming surgery. Prayers ♥ Hugs Bonnie
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    BonnieR said:

Each of us is different
    Dear Natalie,

There is a wonderful women who is a care giver and her daughter has a bag and is only now sixteen. Everyone is different, I have had a tumor that has been on my rectum and colon wall for a long time and now has infiltrated the rectum wall. It is not fun dealing with not being able to have a normal bowel movement, causing your to bloat and be in pain, dealing with bowel blockage after blockage~ then diarhea.

I heard several stories from those living with colostomy, they play soccer, tennis and are way more active than I can be at this time. I guess for me the question was, do I end up in emergency department with a bowel blockage and emergency surgery or do I have surgery with the Drs being more in charge and bowels empty and clean. I know I am older than you, but still have a lot of life I would like to live. My cancer has never been gone either and it is seven years now and I know this surgery well not make cancer free.

Someone from the colon rectal cancer board shared that some people poop at the front and some out the back and when see them on the street you would never know. I pray you do not base your choices on just wearing a bag, but on what is best for you and whether you want to try to live a long long time or if you are feeling it is not worth the surgery and recovery time it would take, because you want to live life to fullest right now, with what time you have and not spend any of it recovering from another surgery. To me that is what we base our choices on, and remember that cancer and what we have to do to live with cancer can never change who you are. :-)

For me, I have chosen surgery, I have chosen to give it another shot and know that I well not be cancer free but I well have better quality of life or at least given it my best shot. I was told my cancer and tumors are very invasive and they may not be able to remove them but still chose surgery over a bowel blockage ~ lots of women with ovarian cancer die from bowel blockages. These are my thoughts, use what you like and ignore the ones you do not agree with it. As I said it is an individual choice. There is a women at church that is only 38 and chose no more treatments because her breast cancer is invasive and it well never go away, everyone's answer to what they do is different. Praying God's clarity adn peace for you.

Sending you lots of Hugs ♥ Prayers

Bonnie

I know a with a bag that bikes competitively all the time!
    When I was young, pre-cancer, I know I thought I'd rather be dead than have my poop diverted to a bag. Funny how you change as life offers you living examples that prove you wrong. I met a man who trains daily and bikes competitively that lives with that accomodation. And so now, knowing that life can still be worth living after that surgery, I know I would choose it before I would live with the constant discomfort of ongoing serious bowel issues. It wouldn't be an easy or welcome decision, and I'd have to be in real trouble physically and have that confirmed by a couple of doctors, but I no longer fear that possibility as much as I once did. (((hugs))).

I had a long discussion with my surgeon in early December when my recurrence was still new and I was having a Power Port put in. He knew that I had a choice of starting chemo immediately or waiting and observing for a few months, and that I had chosen immediate chemo. As he worked to insert the port, he told me that he sees a lot of people with recurrence and since they are awake during their port insertion surgery, many of them talk about their reaction to this devastating news. He said that for him, he knows right away from their earliest treatment decisions, when people have, as he called it "chosen LIFE." He said that these individuals, although they wrestle with each treatment decision, over and over until their last breath choose to fight on. He put me in that category and said that he would be interested to see if he was right. (Me too, as I can also imagine myself one day saying "enough, already!"). I put Bonnie in that "choses life" category. I don't see it as black and white as he appears to, from his unique perspective. I guess I am trying to say, if he is right, then your heart may have already decided, and now you need to honestly look into it and see what you are going to do. (((hugs))) again.
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

I know a with a bag that bikes competitively all the time!
    When I was young, pre-cancer, I know I thought I'd rather be dead than have my poop diverted to a bag. Funny how you change as life offers you living examples that prove you wrong. I met a man who trains daily and bikes competitively that lives with that accomodation. And so now, knowing that life can still be worth living after that surgery, I know I would choose it before I would live with the constant discomfort of ongoing serious bowel issues. It wouldn't be an easy or welcome decision, and I'd have to be in real trouble physically and have that confirmed by a couple of doctors, but I no longer fear that possibility as much as I once did. (((hugs))).

I had a long discussion with my surgeon in early December when my recurrence was still new and I was having a Power Port put in. He knew that I had a choice of starting chemo immediately or waiting and observing for a few months, and that I had chosen immediate chemo. As he worked to insert the port, he told me that he sees a lot of people with recurrence and since they are awake during their port insertion surgery, many of them talk about their reaction to this devastating news. He said that for him, he knows right away from their earliest treatment decisions, when people have, as he called it "chosen LIFE." He said that these individuals, although they wrestle with each treatment decision, over and over until their last breath choose to fight on. He put me in that category and said that he would be interested to see if he was right. (Me too, as I can also imagine myself one day saying "enough, already!"). I put Bonnie in that "choses life" category. I don't see it as black and white as he appears to, from his unique perspective. I guess I am trying to say, if he is right, then your heart may have already decided, and now you need to honestly look into it and see what you are going to do. (((hugs))) again.

Agree
    I agree with Linda. But everyone has to make their own decisions. Saundra
  • saundra said:

Agree
    I agree with Linda. But everyone has to make their own decisions. Saundra

• azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Get the bag
    I would do what I have to do to live, even with a bag.
    Remember GOd is with you
  • azgrandma said:

Get the bag
    I would do what I have to do to live, even with a bag.
    Remember GOd is with you

• kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options

They always
    give you the worst case scenario. I would say your life expectancy would be prolonged by the surgery. Just my gut feeling, not a professional. I would go for it. I know the poop bag is not appealing, but like was mentioned, it can be manageable. I had an uncle who had one for 20 years, and this is before the better ones were invented. He had a great attitude, and had himself on a schedule, so he could take it off during the day etc. Positive attitude and outlook is key.

This is such a huge decision, I think I would get a second opinion. Just my thoughts.

Warm hugs,
    Kathleen

dx 6-07 OvCa 3C
    4 surgeries and 23 cycles of chemo
    currently on doxil/ carbo
    and still fighting hard
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hi Natalie,
    I was just

Hi Natalie,

I was just wondering, what stage is your cancer? How long since you were diagnosed with your cancer?

I would strongly seek a second opinion or third, just to make sure there are no other options that you should consider.

As most of the other ladies have stated, this is definitely a very personal decision, one; which you know only YOU can live with. I do feel if you are not experiencing any problems with your bowel movements/pain and you consider the surgery; then and only then would I have the surgery if there is no other answer.

I will pray that you obtain the right information/and solution for you.

With much care,

Sharon
  • MK_4Dani
    MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
    Options

Hi Natalie,
    I was just

Hi Natalie,

I was just wondering, what stage is your cancer? How long since you were diagnosed with your cancer?

I would strongly seek a second opinion or third, just to make sure there are no other options that you should consider.

As most of the other ladies have stated, this is definitely a very personal decision, one; which you know only YOU can live with. I do feel if you are not experiencing any problems with your bowel movements/pain and you consider the surgery; then and only then would I have the surgery if there is no other answer.

With much care,

Sharon

msfanciful - your picture is
    msfanciful - your picture is lovely! What a warm smile.

Natalie,
    I think a second opinion is in order. It is a very personal choice no doubt. If it were me, I will always choose to extend life hoping for a cure. You are young and still have a lot of living to do....
    I pray you receive the information you seek and be at peace with your decision.
    MK
  • Chemo_Princess
    Options

Hi Natalie,
    I was just

Hi Natalie,

With much care,

Sharon

Stage
    I was diagnosed in April 2009 with stage 3C. After debulking surgery I went thru 6 cycles of chemo. Cisplatin, taxotere and taxol. A tumor survived so my doctor says my cancer is very agressive and likely will come back. That's why I'm aprehensive about surgery. Thank you all for your comments! I definitely will get a second opinion before making any final decisions.
    Blessings to all of you!
    Natalie
  • pjba11
    pjba11 Member Posts: 188
    Options

Stage
    I was diagnosed in April 2009 with stage 3C. After debulking surgery I went thru 6 cycles of chemo. Cisplatin, taxotere and taxol. A tumor survived so my doctor says my cancer is very agressive and likely will come back. That's why I'm aprehensive about surgery. Thank you all for your comments! I definitely will get a second opinion before making any final decisions.
    Blessings to all of you!
    Natalie

internal 'bag'
    You do know you can have a 'bag' internal ? I have a friend who would not have an external bag, so they reconstructed her intestine and she now has no visable bag... all internal and she uses a tube to empty. Just a thought.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    My grandson, now 20 years
    My grandson, now 20 years old, has had two colostomies - the first when he was just 2 days old (for a year) and the second when he was 8 or 9 (for almost 4 years). Both have been reversed, but neither slowed him down one bit. He raced bicycles, joined the gymnastics team, swam....all the things a normal kid does.

Nick (my grandson) has a rare bith defect called Hirschsprung's Disease, as well as Crohn's Disease. He knows there could be another bag in his future and he's very philosophical about it - if he does, he does.

Personally, I think agressive cancer calls for agressive treatment, but this is an incredibly personal decision that only you can make.

Carlene