RADIATION QUESTIONS & ANSWERS # 2

Options

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    carkris said:

I start next week. I had
    I start next week. I had surgery to remove my expander my radiation oncologist doesnt like to radiate with it. I could do reconstruction later but I prob wont. I had my tattoos on the 18th. they put one smack in the middle of my chest where it shows. I was bummed although it just looks like a freckle. so I will be moving along with you. I finished chemo a week before mamaG I think and will finish the rads a week after her. My pt said to start using cream on my skin now so i bought the tee shirts and am using aquaphor.

It's really nice to have so many Pink friends online
    to go through this with. We are holding hands on the Rad table as we get through this together! God bless all of us! Let's keep up with each other on this thread til the end!
    Or should we start a new one?
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    4 down 31 to go
    Hello pink warriors, my rads onc. gave me a list of creams, I use Eucerin Original and Aquaphor. I'm not burnt yet just keeping my skin moist for precautionary measures. I wasn't told of any soaps so I'll use your suggestions. Thank you so much for All your advice. Oh, and I have been wearing a sports bra, don't like it, gotta find something more comfortable, its too tight on my sides. Still looking for something comfortable in the hold 'em up department! Love to all
    Kari
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

4 down 31 to go
    Hello pink warriors, my rads onc. gave me a list of creams, I use Eucerin Original and Aquaphor. I'm not burnt yet just keeping my skin moist for precautionary measures. I wasn't told of any soaps so I'll use your suggestions. Thank you so much for All your advice. Oh, and I have been wearing a sports bra, don't like it, gotta find something more comfortable, its too tight on my sides. Still looking for something comfortable in the hold 'em up department! Love to all
    Kari

Kari - try Just My Size
    I found a bra style on their website (www.jms.com) that is almost like a sports bra, except that it has hook & eye closures in the front, which makes it a lot easier to put on and take off. It's made from all cotton with a bit of spandex. I would suggest ordering a size up in width from what you usually wear to give you extra comfort around your sides, especially if you're going to wear a t-shirt underneath.

Good luck!

Cindy
  • Mama G
    Options

Kari - try Just My Size
    I found a bra style on their website (www.jms.com) that is almost like a sports bra, except that it has hook & eye closures in the front, which makes it a lot easier to put on and take off. It's made from all cotton with a bit of spandex. I would suggest ordering a size up in width from what you usually wear to give you extra comfort around your sides, especially if you're going to wear a t-shirt underneath.

Good luck!

Cindy

1 down and 29 to go
    That was easy! Got my lotion and my soap and my attitude! Let's do this ladies!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Mama G said:

1 down and 29 to go

Yes you guys have the best
    Yes you guys have the best attitudes.
    did anyone discuss mouth care with you guys? I had radiation 15 years ago, mouth was dry and I ended up with lots of cavities, does this still go on or is the radiation different.I know the planning was easier this time. I planned in using the biotene and a fluoride rinse.
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Mama G said:

1 down and 29 to go

only 12 more to go
    Only 12 more to go for me! My rad dr. drew around my scar today. They are making a new plan for my "boosters" that will start after 7 more treatments. For those of you that have done this . . . is this when the burn really begins?? I am plenty toasty already . . . just hoping I can hang on!!
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Yah, Mama G, you got one
    Yah, Mama G, you got one down. Today was 5 down and 30 to go for me. We should be done the same time. What's this cavity stuff? HELP, my teeth are so important to me plus I don't have dental ins. Thanks for the bra advice too, I'll look into that.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Yah, Mama G, you got one
    Yah, Mama G, you got one down. Today was 5 down and 30 to go for me. We should be done the same time. What's this cavity stuff? HELP, my teeth are so important to me plus I don't have dental ins. Thanks for the bra advice too, I'll look into that.

Teeth & boosters
    I saw my dentist during rads, and asked my radiation oncologist very specifically about it beforehand, just to make sure. He told me since I was receiving no radiation to the head or neck area, it would have no affect on my teeth or mouth at all.

My dentist, though, did mention that he has some experience with *chemo* making patients more cavity-prone up to 6 months after finishing chemo (though he isn't knowledgeable about different chemo drugs, so couldn't tell me specifically which cocktails -- his other patients might have received completely different drugs than we get).

Sharon, boosters are radiation only to the tumor site(s), instead of to the entire breast, so you may actually start to see some healing to the rest of your breast(s). I had burned really badly under my arms by the time I got to the boosters, but, since my tumors were nowhere near there, the boosters didn't touch there, and that allowed my skin to start healing.

Traci
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

The silver lining
    Rad quickly made need for deoderant a thing of the past! btw,Google a study from univ of Rochester med center dated 10-7-02: " common spice may protect skin during radiation therapy for cancer". Run it by your radiation MD, mine approved it and while my skin got very red it never blistered. I had serious fatigue by 4th week, lasted thru 2 wks past treatment. Everyones different, take all the help you're offered and know you're on the home stretch. Good luck!

I used Dove soap and my rads
    I used Dove soap and my rads oncologist gave me Biafine and Aquaphor. They worked! Good luck!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Lymphedema and Rads?
    Wow! All the helpful tips I am finding on rads today. I had thought I wasn't going to require rads, but last week my onc said I should have them because they reduce the chance of reoccurrence by 30%. So the whole radiation thing came as a bit of a surprise. He said my surgeon should have discussed this with me, but I sure don't remember. I am just so glad this thread got pushed up.

I've got my tattoos and am marked with the markers too. Tuesday I am to have my first treatment. I'm not really nervous about it. I have a really good rad doc. He told me the worst, and then told me that it was the worst, and I could probably expect it not to be as bad as he described. He also said that women are the least likely to complain about any pains, as we have lived most of our lives experiencing menstrual pain every month. He said it is women who are the most likely to be rather stoic, and that is not what he wants. He wants to hear about any little ache or pain I might experience, because it could be the start of something important and he wants to be able to catch any complications as early as possible.

One thing he warned about that I haven't found in this discussion, was lymphedema, and that I should pay special attention to my arm on the side where lymph nodes were removed. They actually measure the arm before starting, so they have a base line to track any swelling that might occur. He said lymphedema usually starts out with the arm feeling "heavy" and maybe a slight ache to it. Has anyone else had this brought up by any of your health care givers in relation to radiation?

I also have an appointment with a physical therapist. I'm not quite sure why anymore, but I think they go over ways to cope with the effects of radiation therapy and what to expect when I go for treatment. I guess I'll find out when I get there. Did anyone else have this before treatment? Or is the clinic I go to especially thorough? Before I started chemo, one of the chemo RNs gave me a tour of the chemo area, and was shown the suite of private rooms where they administer chemo, and answer any questions I might have. It sure helped to know how things were set up before getting a treatment.

So far the only thing I don't like about it is not being able to apply deodorant before treatment. Phew! Nothing like a stinky pit. I feel sorry for the techs.

lymphedema and rads
    too funny the deodorant thing really bothered me too! I found that I didn't have a problem with sweat or anything, it's amazing that the affected armpit just doesn't require it during rads. I also said, I feel bad for the techs and they assured me that they are used to everything. I was also afraid of Lymphedema but thank God, I didn't have any problems. Finished Dec 22, 2009.
    Best of luck and you will get through it just like everything else we do in this journey. I actually felt sad when I was finished.
  • Buldinky
    Buldinky Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Mama G said:

1 down and 29 to go

2 down & 28 to go
    Hello good luck to all Is Miaderm really as good as the doctors say or is this a scam because it was made by doctors
  • carkris
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Teeth & boosters
    I saw my dentist during rads, and asked my radiation oncologist very specifically about it beforehand, just to make sure. He told me since I was receiving no radiation to the head or neck area, it would have no affect on my teeth or mouth at all.

My dentist, though, did mention that he has some experience with *chemo* making patients more cavity-prone up to 6 months after finishing chemo (though he isn't knowledgeable about different chemo drugs, so couldn't tell me specifically which cocktails -- his other patients might have received completely different drugs than we get).

Sharon, boosters are radiation only to the tumor site(s), instead of to the entire breast, so you may actually start to see some healing to the rest of your breast(s). I had burned really badly under my arms by the time I got to the boosters, but, since my tumors were nowhere near there, the boosters didn't touch there, and that allowed my skin to start healing.

Traci

I am not prone to cavities
    I am not prone to cavities and my mouth felt dry. I thought it was the radiation making me hot, but it changed my saliva. I wonder if it was because I had My chest radiated. up to my clavicle? anyway my mouth was dry and I got cavities, and it was a year after chemo. (I had a local recurence long story) I am having chest radiation again, so I will be on the lookout and next week I will ask. things change alot in 15 years.
  • cindycflynn
    Options
    Buldinky said:

2 down & 28 to go
    Hello good luck to all Is Miaderm really as good as the doctors say or is this a scam because it was made by doctors

Miaderm
    I don't know yet, because I've only had 5 treatments, but I've been using the Miaderm so I'll keep everyone posted on how it's working for me at least. I do sunburn very easily so I'm worried about how my skin will fare through this.

I don't think it is a scam, because the radiation nurse is the one who recommended I use either Miaderm or Aloe along with Aquaphor. I was not pushed in any way, in fact, if anything she probably was leaning more toward recommending the aloe and Aquaphor because the cost was lower. I read up on the ingredients in Miaderm (I liked that it included Calendula, which I've also heard good things about), and felt it would give me probably better protection that the aloe and Aquaphor. I also liked the feel of it better and had heard how greasy Aquaphor can be.

Good luck to all!!

Cindy
  • carkris
    Options
    carkris said:

I am not prone to cavities
    I am not prone to cavities and my mouth felt dry. I thought it was the radiation making me hot, but it changed my saliva. I wonder if it was because I had My chest radiated. up to my clavicle? anyway my mouth was dry and I got cavities, and it was a year after chemo. (I had a local recurence long story) I am having chest radiation again, so I will be on the lookout and next week I will ask. things change alot in 15 years.

had radiation sim today start
    had radiation sim today start for real tomorrow, wonder how you all are doing? She said the cavities were from chemo not rads. delayed reaction.
  • cindycflynn
    Options
    carkris said:

had radiation sim today start
    had radiation sim today start for real tomorrow, wonder how you all are doing? She said the cavities were from chemo not rads. delayed reaction.

So far, so good!
    9 down, and 21 to go - I'm almost 1/3 of the way through and so far just a very slight tenderness to my irradiated side as a whole (not just the skin). I've been religious about putting on the lotion, which I'm sure is helping, and it was nice to have the weekend break to give my flesh a chance to cool off a bit. I can definitely feel a temperature difference on the two sides.

Every time I put the lotion on, I can't get the image of that scene from Silence of the Lambs out of my head, where he says "It puts the lotion on it's skin!!! I wish I could think of something else while I'm doing that!

Good luck tomorrow Carkris - I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Take care,
    Cindy
  • carkris
    Options

So far, so good!
    9 down, and 21 to go - I'm almost 1/3 of the way through and so far just a very slight tenderness to my irradiated side as a whole (not just the skin). I've been religious about putting on the lotion, which I'm sure is helping, and it was nice to have the weekend break to give my flesh a chance to cool off a bit. I can definitely feel a temperature difference on the two sides.

Every time I put the lotion on, I can't get the image of that scene from Silence of the Lambs out of my head, where he says "It puts the lotion on it's skin!!! I wish I could think of something else while I'm doing that!

Good luck tomorrow Carkris - I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Take care,
    Cindy

oh my gosh I forgot about
    oh my gosh I forgot about that line!!!!! glad things are well. cindy
    Penny
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Kari, I am not an expert but
    Kari, I am not an expert but I have been through rads and believe the "markings" are used to line you up with the machine that is also directing the radiation to avoid lungs, heart, etc. Once the markings were done there were x-rays taken that had to be approved by the radiation onco before treatment started. My rads center also took x-rays weekly of the radiated areas. As far as working through rads, I did from day one. I worked a 40 hour week and also continued to exercise, at that point, at least 4 times a week. I do a one-hour aerobic class. I'll be honest, there were days that I'd rather not have been there, but I would just exercise at a lower impact level. Exercise is very good and was encouraged by my onco. However, we are all different and our situations are different so check with your doctors before any exercise. Good luck as you start your rads, you'll do just fine. You have a great attitude and the motivation to succeed. Take care.

Sorry
    Posted in the middle, meant to post at the end.

Chemo brain momment.

Donna
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    I have a couple of questions.
    How many days was your treatment?
    What type of radiation equipement was used? IMRT, Rapid Arc etc.
    Was it your left breast and what precations were taken to protect your heart and lungs?

Thanks

Donna
  • Mama G
    Options

How many days was your treatment?
    What type of radiation equipement was used? IMRT, Rapid Arc etc.
    Was it your left breast and what precations were taken to protect your heart and lungs?

Thanks

Donna

I can answer a couple of those questions.
    For me I have to do 33 treatments. It started out 30, but found out today the doctor decided to cut the doses to prevent burning of the skin and divide it out 3 more day.
    I hate when they make a decision without discussing it with the patient.
    It's my left breast and they took x rays of the location of my heart and lungs and marked
    my area for radiation accordingly. They told me this was to keep the radiation away from those 2 areas for my own protection. Sounds good to me! The good part is they also checked the area for any cancer growth and there was none! whew...
  • carkris
    Options
    Mama G said:

I can answer a couple of those questions.
    For me I have to do 33 treatments. It started out 30, but found out today the doctor decided to cut the doses to prevent burning of the skin and divide it out 3 more day.
    I hate when they make a decision without discussing it with the patient.
    It's my left breast and they took x rays of the location of my heart and lungs and marked
    my area for radiation accordingly. They told me this was to keep the radiation away from those 2 areas for my own protection. Sounds good to me! The good part is they also checked the area for any cancer growth and there was none! whew...

glad you are clear mama G .
    glad you are clear mama G . they do all the planning to miss your heart and lungs. I had rads 15 years a go and worried about this (left side) I spoke to a fellow at the hospital and he said My onc was one of the first to advocate doing it certain way and wrote the articles on avoiding the heart. so I worried for nothing. but it was a relief to know, so i think they all follow this way now. I am having 33 rads too. I thought the last 3 were the boost i will ask whne I see him on friday. Are they doing your axillary nodes? they arent doing mine, as they feel the surgery got rid of it all. they are doing the mammmary nodes and supraclavicular. I am going to ask about that too. Iwant it gone!!!!