merinol or mediclal marijuana for nausea

jillpls
jillpls Member Posts: 238
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HI,
Has anyone used merino or medical marijuana for nausea? I've had such a bad time with nausea and when they give me more anti nausea drugs it does help but causes my colon to go to sleep for about 4-5 days. Then I get so backed up it's like giving child birth each time. I now am covered with hemorrhoids and have a small perineal fistula developing that will probably need surgery to repair. So, I've thinking of trying either merinol or marijuana for the nausea and hopefully it won't put my colon to sleep. Anyone out there try either one??? Thanks for all you help. fighting this takes team work and you guys are a great team.
Jill

Comments

• GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    Sorry
    I haven't used medical marijuana so I can't answer that. But since you stated you do have hemorrhoids you might try taking benefiber it is kind of like metamucil except no flavor and no texture of any kind. You can put it in coffee, milk, tea, pepsi, juice whatever you like it has no taste it just disolves and you will have a much easier time with your bowel habits which will help heal and ease the way. If your nausea meds are working just make sure you are walking enough when you do feel good. This helps your bowel habits tremendously. Metamucil smooth texture is kind of like orange crystal light. No grit. It truly has come a long way and you start with a spoonful with either one you choose and build up so you don't give yourself a belly ache from so much fiber. The doctor can also order prescription suppositories to help heal hemorroids. You only use them just before bed and your behind will be happy in just a few short days.
    Hang in there,
    Goofyladie (Cass)
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Medical marijuana sure helped me
    Sorry your going through a rought time with nausea. It's the worse!! Medical marijuana worked great for me and made it so I can eat. I say give it a try!!

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks
  • just4Brooks
    Sorry your going through a rought time with nausea. It's the worse!! Medical marijuana worked great for me and made it so I can eat. I say give it a try!!

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks
  • just4Brooks

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Hi Jill!
    Looks like you might be a fellow California girl? If so, medical marijuana is LEGAL in your state, if you're not in California be sure to check if medical marijuana is legal, and if so under what conditions. Yeah, you might find us a great team here, but prison busters might exceed our talents, so only try the marijuana fix if it won't get you in trouble. I would be happy to bake a file in a cake for you, but I think the wardens are wise to that scheme these days...

Personally, I did try marijuana when I was in chemo. I thought if it worked better than the anti-nausea drugs I might get a card for legal use and purchase in California. For me though, it didn't work substantially better then the pharmaceutical anti-emetics and since it was not covered by my medical insurance I opted not to go that route. Medical green bud is very high dollar these days so for me it would really have to be remarkably better.

I do believe your onc can give you a prescription for Marinol, but from what I'm told, the body does not metabolize Marinol in the same way it does THC in pot, so Marinol may work on the nausea, but it will not give you that "peaceful easy feeling" that a nice fatty will. I've read there is some debate about the overall function of marijuana on nausea and exactly what the mechanisms are that provide relief to cancer patients.

I spoke openly with my onc about it and she was very candid and direct with me. She said if I wanted to use marijuana for nausea and well being that I should go ahead and try it. She did say however, that she would not want me to smoke it - smoking is not good in any form. She said if I wanted to take it that I should ingest it in tea or food. If you have an open relationship with your onc you could ask their opinion, if not, you could find an herbalist who could advise you.

This is kind of one of those personal choice things. If you're open to it and want to try it, go for it...it's your bod...it's your life.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Hi Jill
    Marijuana works best. Marinol is just synthesized pot or pot form the pharmaceutical companies. it does not have the same effect and is not nearly as effective for nausea and appetite "enhancement"? It's great to see that more states are making it OK for cancer patients to use it. I think if those who wrote the laws ever had any personal dealing with cancer and the side effects of chemo they would sign the bill in a second. But only if they could remember where they put the bill.

My advice, try it, you'll like it.
    Good luck, hope you feel better
    -phil
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks

Too funny Brooks
    So nice you said it thrice!
    That can be one side effect of using it though.
    ;-)
  • jillpls
    I'll try it when I get it
    Thank you for all your comments. I think I'll try it since it is legal in Ca. Even though I walk 3.5 miles 6-7 days a week and sometimes 7 miles, and take senna at night during the chemo days, it's still a problem. Last time I even drank 6 glasses full of fresh lemonade, 2 senna pills and walked, it still took 5 days for the colon to react. So Marijuana is the answer. Our friend, (retired police chief) said he could help me get it easy. His son is battling similar problem and uses it too. Since my brother-in-law is an MD he wants me to use Marino, but I agree with what I've read, the real thing is better. Berkeley here I come!!!!
    Jill
  • papajedi
    papajedi Member Posts: 110
    jillpls said:

Thank you for all your comments. I think I'll try it since it is legal in Ca. Even though I walk 3.5 miles 6-7 days a week and sometimes 7 miles, and take senna at night during the chemo days, it's still a problem. Last time I even drank 6 glasses full of fresh lemonade, 2 senna pills and walked, it still took 5 days for the colon to react. So Marijuana is the answer. Our friend, (retired police chief) said he could help me get it easy. His son is battling similar problem and uses it too. Since my brother-in-law is an MD he wants me to use Marino, but I agree with what I've read, the real thing is better. Berkeley here I come!!!!
    Jill

Was Afarid
    I would like it to much, plus my kids would never let me live it down. :)
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    not me
    I was only nauseous three times during FOLFOX but had heartburn and acid indigestion after several tx's. It was impossible to sleep .... I took some over the counter acid reducer my onc okayed and was fine, then.

I had awful constipation from tx and started eating raisin bran every day for a few days before and after tx. That helped a lot. Plumsmart was NOT a good idea for me. It gave me awful gas and cramps!

We bought a used car yesterday and our 33 year old son detailed it for us. He found some residue 'stuff' in the ashtray and a loaded automatic gun clip in the pouch on the back of the front seat. An elderly man with a 100 piece gun collection had died and his wife was selling all his things. There is no medicinal stuff allowed in Ga. so I'm guessing her hubby got his in another way.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jen58
    jen58 Member Posts: 34
    hubby tried marinol
    to be honest, we were smoking before his dx -- i have several health problems that it helps with anyways...but when he got dx, he tried to stop smoking and take marinol -- it was awful and did nothing for him at all -- he went 4 days without smoking and ugh....

since then he is back to MM and it works pretty good for him, tho, it's low grade stuff cuz we're not in a MM state -- however, we have decided to move to a MM state and soon that problem will be solved

do not underestimate the power of MM, if u can do it, by all means, do so!
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    no contest
    MJ was the only thing that got me through the nausea. They tried every nausea drug they had and none of it worked. Took a little toke and viola! nausea gone, appetite up and a 50% reduction in oxycodone for pain right of the bat.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    tried it in a muffin
    I live in California and went ahead and got the license for it a few months ago when I was having such a hard time with nausea while on Folfiri. For some reason, the meds that worked before like Emend, stopped working for me and I felt desperate. Having kids in the house, I did not want to smoke it. I went to a legal place to get it and got a couple of muffins with it baked in it. Honestly, I was disappointed. I know there's two types of mj classes. The one baked in these muffins knocked me out asleep. I wanted to be awake enough to experience the nausea leave- I just fell asleep. I haven't used it since because I don't want to just zonk out asleep! I had assumed that I wouldn't even taste or smell the pot in the muffins- I was wrong. They smelled very strongly of it and they tasted terrible! The medical license cost $150. The mj muffins weren't bad- $5 each. Interestingly, I recently read that the dispensary where I got them has signed on w/ some channel to make a reality show. That's all I'd need is to go buy something and end up on TV! Some people wouldn't mind, but I just would rather not have anyone know what I'm doing. The guy there did tell me that there's such thing as a tincture, which i guess is a kind of THC spray. I was wanting to try that, but the dispensary didn't have any.
    If I didn' feel so darned paranoid about it all, maybe I would have tried different kinds and would have just smoked it. Even if it's legal, there still have been raids & I'm too much of a worry wart!
  • lisa42 said:

tried it in a muffin
    I live in California and went ahead and got the license for it a few months ago when I was having such a hard time with nausea while on Folfiri. For some reason, the meds that worked before like Emend, stopped working for me and I felt desperate. Having kids in the house, I did not want to smoke it. I went to a legal place to get it and got a couple of muffins with it baked in it. Honestly, I was disappointed. I know there's two types of mj classes. The one baked in these muffins knocked me out asleep. I wanted to be awake enough to experience the nausea leave- I just fell asleep. I haven't used it since because I don't want to just zonk out asleep! I had assumed that I wouldn't even taste or smell the pot in the muffins- I was wrong. They smelled very strongly of it and they tasted terrible! The medical license cost $150. The mj muffins weren't bad- $5 each. Interestingly, I recently read that the dispensary where I got them has signed on w/ some channel to make a reality show. That's all I'd need is to go buy something and end up on TV! Some people wouldn't mind, but I just would rather not have anyone know what I'm doing. The guy there did tell me that there's such thing as a tincture, which i guess is a kind of THC spray. I was wanting to try that, but the dispensary didn't have any.
    If I didn' feel so darned paranoid about it all, maybe I would have tried different kinds and would have just smoked it. Even if it's legal, there still have been raids & I'm too much of a worry wart!

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jen58
    jen58 Member Posts: 34
    lisa42 said:

tried it in a muffin

hmmm
    lisa -- why on earth would u be concerned about kids in the house and smoking it? it's legal and it's a medicine... can u not tell your kids that you are doing it cuz it is what will help you not be sick?

we've been honest with our daughter about our use and talk to her openly about it all the time and also show her movies and literature that try to claim that it doesn't work -- she knows the truth

eating it is not the best way to get what relief you need from it -- smoke it and dont be afraid -- there is nothing wrong with it

you've got to get past the social stigma of it being wrong, especially when u have a MM card...
  • jillpls
    got my Mj for monday
    I got my MJ for my monday drip. I"ll still take the emend in the morning but I've got lemon bars and I'm going to use the vaporizer for the MJ. I talked to someone that said using the vaporizer helped a lot because she could monitor just the right amount so as not to feel tired but also not have so much nausea. If this works for me then I'll go ahead and get the card. My husband wants to grow it..he has a very green thumb. My kids are in their 20's and know the problems I've been having so they are on board with me trying it. I'll let you know how the vaporizer works next week.
    JIll
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    It Works
    Hi,

I used marijuana and it was the only thing that worked. My doctors actually recommended it. I live in CA so it's legal yet some doctors are not allowed to prescribe it. The clinic I went to had their own doctor and separate dispensary. I only took 1 or 2 puffs and it worked immediately. One pain doctor told me that ingesting it is not as effective for nausea as smoking because it gets into your system immediately when you smoke. One or two puffs did not bother me, however there is a vaporizer you can use if it bothers you. My children are older and they supported me. They teased me and told me they were going to try it but they were just joking. I kept it in my nightstand and would wake up in the middle of the night nauseous and take a puff and the nausea would go away immediately. It would be illegal for your kids to take any of the medication your on so maybe just explaining it would be helpful. Sure hope this helps and you start getting some relief. Your in my prayers.

Blessings to you,

Debbie (gramma)
  • just4Brooks
    PhillieG said:

Too funny Brooks
    So nice you said it thrice!
    That can be one side effect of using it though.
    ;-)

I had no idea
    I have no idea why or how it posted 3 X... Like I alway say

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks
  • just4Brooks
    jillpls said:

Jill

Yep... Cops alaway can get the best weed
    LOL

Brooks