Any celebrity connections to your treatment?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I thought this would be a fun holiday thread -- anybody else have any celebrity connections to your treatment?

There are 2 radiation oncologists at the radiation center I go to -- I had heard that the other doctor is Monica Lewinsky's father, but I just heard yesterday that my doctor is Lisa Ling's husband! I just had to google them to check it out...and, sure enough, there's my cutiepie doctor in InStyle Weddings!

Also, over the summer, my medical oncologist sent me for a 2nd opinion to this fancy schmancy cancer clinic in Santa Monica -- and Julie Andrews was in the waiting room! She wasn't a patient -- she seemed to be there with a patient and his family -- but her voice was unmistakable.

So...anybody else? Maybe some rock star's father's 2nd cousin goes to the same chemo center as you? Come on -- let's brag about it!

:-) Traci

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Best we can do here in the Ozarks
    This is a great thread idea, Traci!

We don't have a lot of celebrities down our way. But we recently discovered that Moopy's Springfield oncologist, Dr. Rajesh Nair, is featured on the front page of the site for St. John's Cancer Program.

http://www.stjohns.com/cancer

Dr. Nair is the dapper, mustachioed gentleman standing front and center in the picture over the link marked "About Our Physicians." He was surprised when Moopy and I informed him of his new "celebrity status," and delighted when I was able to show him the picture on my iPod Touch. He started making jokes about how he should get royalties, or at least an office with a bigger window.

It was nice to give Dr. Nair a little something back for all he's given us over the last year-plus. Just to make sure, we also told every clerk and nurse we could find on our way out of his office.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Aortus said:

Best we can do here in the Ozarks
    This is a great thread idea, Traci!

We don't have a lot of celebrities down our way. But we recently discovered that Moopy's Springfield oncologist, Dr. Rajesh Nair, is featured on the front page of the site for St. John's Cancer Program.

http://www.stjohns.com/cancer

Dr. Nair is the dapper, mustachioed gentleman standing front and center in the picture over the link marked "About Our Physicians." He was surprised when Moopy and I informed him of his new "celebrity status," and delighted when I was able to show him the picture on my iPod Touch. He started making jokes about how he should get royalties, or at least an office with a bigger window.

It was nice to give Dr. Nair a little something back for all he's given us over the last year-plus. Just to make sure, we also told every clerk and nurse we could find on our way out of his office.

Aortus
    I like that you were

Aortus
    I like that you were able to do something for Moopy's doctor. He sounds like he is a funny fellow. Is he the one in our band? If not, he should be.
    I can't think of any celebrities that have been in my treatment centers. I don't think that my smallish town is a big magnet for them. At my rads center, I hardly saw anyone else period, but that is because it is very new in our area. Used to be you went to Sacramento or Napa for treatment. Maybe if I had gone to Napa I would have been more likely to meet celebrities. My treatment doctors are great but not famous or featured anywhere I know about. Oh, gosh, I am so ordinary, so mundane, so run of the mill, so average. LOL
    Stef
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    We have sooo many
    We have sooo many celebrities in my neck of the woods, it is almost impossible to go anywhere without falling over one or two! From those of the past, John Forsythe, Rona Barrett, Efrim Zimbalist Jr, to 1960's-1970's era musicians such as David Crosby, Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina, Ron White of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Bo Derek, Kelly LeBrock, former wife of Stevan Segall, to Oprah and last week I was seated directly behind (YECCCCCH!!) Dr Laura Schlessinger at a Japanese restaurant. And, Neverland Ranch is 4 miles from my house, so you can imagine the MJ sightings....At this year's Christmas party at the wine club Reggie and I are members of, I sat next to and had the best time with Rosemary Clooney's daughter~ if she had only brought her cousin George with her! sigh! LOL
    Oh, and shopping for Thanksgiving, Laura Wright was in front of me in line at the supermarket. Who???? Well, for you closeted or out in the open General Hospital fans, she plays Carly!

When I had my laxis eye susrgery, Kevin Costner was the pt ahead of me. He caused the Dr (and me!) to be an hour behind schedule. The chicken had to have 2 valiums b4 surgery, and he fell asleep in the chair! I asked the Dr if I sat next to Kevin and closed my eyes, would I be able to honestly say I slept with Kevin Costner?! When his wife led him groggily past us, Reggie said "Tatanka" to him as he walked by! HaHa! Perhaps he hallucinated he was still in Dances With Wolves!

There must be more, but I forget at the moment!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

We have sooo many
    We have sooo many celebrities in my neck of the woods, it is almost impossible to go anywhere without falling over one or two! From those of the past, John Forsythe, Rona Barrett, Efrim Zimbalist Jr, to 1960's-1970's era musicians such as David Crosby, Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina, Ron White of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, Bo Derek, Kelly LeBrock, former wife of Stevan Segall, to Oprah and last week I was seated directly behind (YECCCCCH!!) Dr Laura Schlessinger at a Japanese restaurant. And, Neverland Ranch is 4 miles from my house, so you can imagine the MJ sightings....At this year's Christmas party at the wine club Reggie and I are members of, I sat next to and had the best time with Rosemary Clooney's daughter~ if she had only brought her cousin George with her! sigh! LOL
    Oh, and shopping for Thanksgiving, Laura Wright was in front of me in line at the supermarket. Who???? Well, for you closeted or out in the open General Hospital fans, she plays Carly!

When I had my laxis eye susrgery, Kevin Costner was the pt ahead of me. He caused the Dr (and me!) to be an hour behind schedule. The chicken had to have 2 valiums b4 surgery, and he fell asleep in the chair! I asked the Dr if I sat next to Kevin and closed my eyes, would I be able to honestly say I slept with Kevin Costner?! When his wife led him groggily past us, Reggie said "Tatanka" to him as he walked by! HaHa! Perhaps he hallucinated he was still in Dances With Wolves!

There must be more, but I forget at the moment!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

So, to recap so far...
    ...so what we know so far is:

- Moopy's doctor is about as much of a celebrity as you can probably get in the Ozarks.

- Stef is just really ordinary (but we still love her anyway! :-)

- Claudia slept with Kevin Costner, and is thisclose to hanging out with George Clooney.

I KNEW I'd learn some juicy tidbits from this thread!

Traci
  • fauxma
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

So, to recap so far...
    ...so what we know so far is:

- Moopy's doctor is about as much of a celebrity as you can probably get in the Ozarks.

- Stef is just really ordinary (but we still love her anyway! :-)

- Claudia slept with Kevin Costner, and is thisclose to hanging out with George Clooney.

I KNEW I'd learn some juicy tidbits from this thread!

Traci

Traci and Chen
    You two made

Traci and Chen

You two made me laugh. Thank you Traci for starting this thread. And Aortus thanks for the hat's off to Moopy's Doctor. And Chen, you just make me chuckle. Chicken hearted Kevin that you still "slept" with and Reggie and the greeting that Kevin will either think was a Indian flashback or just didn't get. He goes home and says what the hell did that guy say to me. Santa Barbara is definitely better for celebs, just as my Denise say many in San Francisco. Now George Clooney would have been great to see. But a sister's cousin's third aunt four times removed is good. LOL
    Stef
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    If you want a sighting a
    If you want a sighting a year or two ago we saw Tommy Lee Jones driving the car next to us. We were stopped at a stoplight. Not treatment related but all I have. There are others who live in the area but we haven't seen them. Willie Nelson and George Strait live somewhere around here. Carol Burnett lived here as a child. Did I tell you Davy Crocket died at the Alamo?

Oh oh, I have a good question...who is buried in Grant's tomb?
  • chenheart
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

If you want a sighting a
    If you want a sighting a year or two ago we saw Tommy Lee Jones driving the car next to us. We were stopped at a stoplight. Not treatment related but all I have. There are others who live in the area but we haven't seen them. Willie Nelson and George Strait live somewhere around here. Carol Burnett lived here as a child. Did I tell you Davy Crocket died at the Alamo?

Davy Crocket~
    Davy Crocket~ I KNEW I forgot someone! Fess Parker(aka Daniel Boone AND Davy Crocket!) lives in my little town too! He has a beautiful B&B and 2 restaurants....and he is a cancer survivor! He is really nice too! Once, when I wrote a letter to the editor of our local rag, he actually called me and left a phone message for me! I called him back and he said how much he liked what I had written...awwwwww! The funny thing is, when you go to his winery, you can buy wine bottle stoppers, festooned with little c.oon-skin caps! Sweet!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

If you want a sighting a

Patrick Dempsey
    Patrick Dempsey started a Center for Cancer Hope & Healing adjacent to where I have my treatment. When he is in town he usually goes over to the infusion center and spends time with the patients having their treatment. I have not been fortunate to be there when he has made an appearance. His sister Mary runs the Center for him and she is awesome as well as the staff there.

Margo
  • chenheart
    Options

Patrick Dempsey
    Patrick Dempsey started a Center for Cancer Hope & Healing adjacent to where I have my treatment. When he is in town he usually goes over to the infusion center and spends time with the patients having their treatment. I have not been fortunate to be there when he has made an appearance. His sister Mary runs the Center for him and she is awesome as well as the staff there.

Margo

Ahhhhhhhh......now that is a
    Ahhhhhhhh......now that is a great celebrity sighting~ :-)

Chen♥
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Davy Crocket~
    Davy Crocket~ I KNEW I forgot someone! Fess Parker(aka Daniel Boone AND Davy Crocket!) lives in my little town too! He has a beautiful B&B and 2 restaurants....and he is a cancer survivor! He is really nice too! Once, when I wrote a letter to the editor of our local rag, he actually called me and left a phone message for me! I called him back and he said how much he liked what I had written...awwwwww! The funny thing is, when you go to his winery, you can buy wine bottle stoppers, festooned with little c.oon-skin caps! Sweet!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen...
    Cheryl Ladd also lives in your neck of the woods, she lives next door to my boss, and when John Forsythe moved in, he had half the Charlie's Angels cast as his neighbors. I met Rona Barrett and a party and she is the cutest tiny little thing!
    Unfortunately, the biggest celeb I met during my chemo was me...(a legend in my own mind).
    thanks Traci, this post was a fun read.
    Cat
  • fauxma
    Options

Patrick Dempsey

Margo

That really makes him
    That really makes him McDreamy in my book. Celebs that go that extra step. Starting a center was a great thing to do, but to stop in and visit with the patients, that is really special.
    Stef
  • chenheart
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Chen...
    Cheryl Ladd also lives in your neck of the woods, she lives next door to my boss, and when John Forsythe moved in, he had half the Charlie's Angels cast as his neighbors. I met Rona Barrett and a party and she is the cutest tiny little thing!
    Unfortunately, the biggest celeb I met during my chemo was me...(a legend in my own mind).
    thanks Traci, this post was a fun read.
    Cat

Yes, that's true about
    Yes, that's true about Cheryl Ladd~ she recently wrote a book about golfing; I believe it's her big passion these days! Rona and I seem to meet at the beauty shop quite often~ she is a tiny thing, isn't she?!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

And you are a celebrity!!! Anyone who maneuvers their way through diagnosis and treatment and comes out strong on the other side is worthy of celebrity status! so there! (((HUGS)))

Chen♥
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    fauxma said:

That really makes him
    That really makes him McDreamy in my book. Celebs that go that extra step. Starting a center was a great thing to do, but to stop in and visit with the patients, that is really special.
    Stef

Speaking of McDreamy, he and
    Speaking of McDreamy, he and his wife bought a home across the street from us here in Jacksonville, TX (her family is from East Texas), which they visit a couple of times a year. Since my husband never meets a stranger, he "rescued" Patrick one afternoon in the lake....McDreamy bought a new jet ski, and didn't know how to start it. He had drifted away from his pier, and my hubby rounded the cove in time to see him shrug his shoulders, no motor running, and no paddle. My husband offered assistance, got him started, and took him around the lake to show him where the shallow spots were, and where to find all the he needed to know. Since then, every time he is in town, he comes to visit and doesn't feel like he is being intruded upon. (Tommy told him that we really enjoy his work on TV, but that there was only one celebrity on this lake and that was himself. Patrick laughed, and it hasn't been mentioned since.) We kind of treat him like one of us, and he appreciates that. I especially like the work he does in the treatment center he sponsors, and he has been kind enough to inquire about me each time he comes into town.

Other than that my only other celeb interest is that one of my best friends was married to Willie Nelson at one time. Also, one of my bank customers years ago was with ZZ Top. Now, that is debatable as to whether I really want to share this with many, but that is my life. This is a fun thread ...hope there are others that will share their "celebrity". Hugs,

Judy
  • Marcia527
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

If you want a sighting a

Who is in Grant's tomb?
    Ok no one answered so I will. Grant is in there but so is Mrs. Grant. We heard this somewhere and thought that was interesting as this is known as a trick question anyway.

I'm just talking to myself again. I only ask questions if I know the answers.
  • fauxma
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Who is in Grant's tomb?
    Ok no one answered so I will. Grant is in there but so is Mrs. Grant. We heard this somewhere and thought that was interesting as this is known as a trick question anyway.

I'm just talking to myself again. I only ask questions if I know the answers.

Marcia
    I knew it was a trick

Marcia
    I knew it was a trick question but I didn't know about Mrs. Grant. I like to ask questions that I know the answers to but that is so limited for me. LOL You can talk to me anytime.
    Stef
  • Zhentup
    Zhentup Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Dr. Mc Dreamy
    I live very close to Patrick Dempsey's new Breast Cancer Center. Actually I'm going there for a Lymphedema Clinic in January.
  • Marcia527
    Options
    Zhentup said:

Dr. Mc Dreamy
    I live very close to Patrick Dempsey's new Breast Cancer Center. Actually I'm going there for a Lymphedema Clinic in January.

Teehee, I don't know who
    Teehee, I don't know who Patrick Dempsey is. Guess I'll have to 'google' him.

I just looked him up and I still don't know who he is! Guess that's what I get for not watching tv.
  • chenheart
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Teehee, I don't know who
    Teehee, I don't know who Patrick Dempsey is. Guess I'll have to 'google' him.

I just looked him up and I still don't know who he is! Guess that's what I get for not watching tv.

Don't fret Marcia....I
    Don't fret Marcia....I haven't ever watched the show either! ( But I had heard of him! LOL)
  • chenheart
    Options

Speaking of McDreamy, he and
    Speaking of McDreamy, he and his wife bought a home across the street from us here in Jacksonville, TX (her family is from East Texas), which they visit a couple of times a year. Since my husband never meets a stranger, he "rescued" Patrick one afternoon in the lake....McDreamy bought a new jet ski, and didn't know how to start it. He had drifted away from his pier, and my hubby rounded the cove in time to see him shrug his shoulders, no motor running, and no paddle. My husband offered assistance, got him started, and took him around the lake to show him where the shallow spots were, and where to find all the he needed to know. Since then, every time he is in town, he comes to visit and doesn't feel like he is being intruded upon. (Tommy told him that we really enjoy his work on TV, but that there was only one celebrity on this lake and that was himself. Patrick laughed, and it hasn't been mentioned since.) We kind of treat him like one of us, and he appreciates that. I especially like the work he does in the treatment center he sponsors, and he has been kind enough to inquire about me each time he comes into town.

Other than that my only other celeb interest is that one of my best friends was married to Willie Nelson at one time. Also, one of my bank customers years ago was with ZZ Top. Now, that is debatable as to whether I really want to share this with many, but that is my life. This is a fun thread ...hope there are others that will share their "celebrity". Hugs,

Judy

Nice about Dempsey! Willie
    Nice about Dempsey! Willie has played at the Casino a few times, and once, upon leaving, according to rumour, anyway, he was stopped and there was the unmistakable odor of not-so-medicinal-marijuana in the bus...being that this happened while there was an outbreak of ecoli in most US produce, Willie said: "Thank God it isn't lettuce~ that could have KILLED me!"

ZZ payed the casino too~ they put on a great concert!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Don't fret Marcia....I
    Don't fret Marcia....I haven't ever watched the show either! ( But I had heard of him! LOL)

My daughter loves mcDreamy.
    My daughter loves mcDreamy. thats fun. I dont have any celelbrities sometimes we see the memebers of aerosmith arounf]d here. My Husbands cousin is a big time baseball player, but we dont mention him too much a privacy thing. hint Atlanta Braves and Mets. otherwise although I get treatment in Boston I never see anyone unless they visit or are pts where i work.