Surgery

Options
2»

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Best wishes for you, Mandi
    My own surgery was different (lumpectomy). And there's already a lot of good info, tips and advice already here for you...

So, I'll keep you close in thought tomorrow - with positive vibes and sincere hopes that all will go well for you, and for speedy recovery.

Kind regards,
    Susan

Good luck to you Mandi!
    Good luck to you Mandi! Sending you lots of prayers!

Angie
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    best of everything
    Here's sending you positive thoughts and prayers. I had the same surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago. Oversized front closing shirts is a must. I really like my husbands flannel shirts with 2 front pockets---perfect place for the drains. I am still sleeping on a wedge---it's more comfortable for me with my head & chest up a little, also makes it easier to get in and out of bed. I put a big pillow under my knees and little ones under my arms---my poor husband can hardly fit in the bed. In the first couple of days post op my husband would cradle me (like a baby) to help me in and out of bed. He didn't have to but, it sure made it easier and less painful for me.

As far as moving your arms---follow your MD's recommendation---different plastic surgeons want different things. He told me my swelling was worse because I was doing too much. I needed help to wash my hair for the 1st week. I find I can wash it ok now by bending my head down to my hands. I just point the hair dryer at it afterwards. I look like a scarecrow---but, it's dry and clean. I have yet to even think about putting on make-up.

Your MD will decide if he wants you in a bra post-op. They put one on me before I woke up. I find that one feels way too tight now. I am wearing a looser one now---mainly to hold my dressings on (I'm having healing issues)and to keep my drain tubes (where they exit the body) from moving around (that's very irritating).

My husband is chiming in now. He says, YOUR JOB IS RECOVERY----let other people help you----listen to your caregivers---there are people who give you energy and people who drain you, have your caregiver "protect" you from the drainers.

That's all I can think of for now. We'll all be cheering you on and sending thoughts and prayers your way!!!!

Hugs, El
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Good luck to you Mandi!
    Good luck to you Mandi! Sending you lots of prayers!

Angie

Best Wishes
    You will do fine Mandi. It is the waiting and the anxiety of the surgery. I had my mastectomy surgery on Dec. 15 with reconstruction with an expander at the time of surgery. You have received great advice already. I did receive a camisole with drain pockets. I have 2 which I hope come out in the day or two. And yes do exactly as the doctor tells you and you will be fine. I still do my exercises so I can put on tops over my head now. The button tops were a life saver especially with the drains. Just remember to get lots of rest! Take care!

rene9
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options

best of everything
    Here's sending you positive thoughts and prayers. I had the same surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago. Oversized front closing shirts is a must. I really like my husbands flannel shirts with 2 front pockets---perfect place for the drains. I am still sleeping on a wedge---it's more comfortable for me with my head & chest up a little, also makes it easier to get in and out of bed. I put a big pillow under my knees and little ones under my arms---my poor husband can hardly fit in the bed. In the first couple of days post op my husband would cradle me (like a baby) to help me in and out of bed. He didn't have to but, it sure made it easier and less painful for me.

As far as moving your arms---follow your MD's recommendation---different plastic surgeons want different things. He told me my swelling was worse because I was doing too much. I needed help to wash my hair for the 1st week. I find I can wash it ok now by bending my head down to my hands. I just point the hair dryer at it afterwards. I look like a scarecrow---but, it's dry and clean. I have yet to even think about putting on make-up.

Your MD will decide if he wants you in a bra post-op. They put one on me before I woke up. I find that one feels way too tight now. I am wearing a looser one now---mainly to hold my dressings on (I'm having healing issues)and to keep my drain tubes (where they exit the body) from moving around (that's very irritating).

My husband is chiming in now. He says, YOUR JOB IS RECOVERY----let other people help you----listen to your caregivers---there are people who give you energy and people who drain you, have your caregiver "protect" you from the drainers.

That's all I can think of for now. We'll all be cheering you on and sending thoughts and prayers your way!!!!

Hugs, El

You've received lots of good
    You've received lots of good advice, and I don't think that I can add much. I particularly like El's husband's advice about your job being recovery. We'll be praying for you, and hoping that all goes well tomorrow.

Joyce
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    terri805 said:

Best wishes!
    Hi Mandy,

I am new to this site. I was just dx 2 weeks ago with insti ductal carcinoma. Already had surgery a week ago. I know how you feel awaiting surgery. I was so nervous that I worked myself up to high anxiety. When I come to this site and read comments from all the wonderful caring people here I get a sense of calmness and determination and it gives me the strength to carry on as I must. I will pray that you have a successful surgery and recover quickly. Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year. Hugs to you.

Good luck Mandy! Post when
    Good luck Mandy! Post when you can!

Leeza
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    jk1952 said:

You've received lots of good
    You've received lots of good advice, and I don't think that I can add much. I particularly like El's husband's advice about your job being recovery. We'll be praying for you, and hoping that all goes well tomorrow.

Joyce

Good luck Mandi! Sending
    Good luck Mandi! Sending you prayers and hugs!

KYLEZ ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Mandi, I'm sending positive
    Mandi, I'm sending positive thoughts to you from Florida. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how well it went, when you can! Take care.

Sending you good luck and
    Sending you good luck and prayers Mandi!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    SherryAF said:

Hi, Mandi.
    I hope everything goes well for your surgery I will be having the same thing 8 days after you. I agree that the waiting is the hardest part. I got a prescription for Xanax from my primary care physician, and every once in awhile I take one, and it seems to help.

Looking forward to your posts after you're feeling well again!

Hoping that your surgery
    Hoping that your surgery went well and that you recover quickly!

Lex♥