Diagnosed last Monday (Squamous Cell -throat cancer)

Options

Comments

• Chefdaddy
    Chefdaddy Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

John, Mike and Hondo
    If y'all have a gathering, know I will be there in Spirit. IF THERE IS A MAJOR GATHERING- WHICH DOES SEEM TO ME A FINE IDEA- THEN LET THE TIME AND PLACE BE KNOWN BY ALL. I do have vacation time, from work. And every one of you is in my heart.
    Hondo- you, my Brother, are the Rock of this forum. You know what I am saying, my friend.

To all- no matter what gets dealt your way- know you can overcome. Believe you can, and you will. All you gotta do is BELIEVE. For me- that belief is in Jesus, and His Father, our God. To find that union of Belief, is to find immeasurable help. I cannot find the adequate Belief in other than the forementioned to realize a legitimate Faith-in, or Belief, in contemplating the possibilities of such. But such as that is for each of us, as individuals, to formulate for ourselves. Just know, that there are those of us, such as Hondo and myself, who have been tested to extremes, and our Faith/Belief has not been shaken in the least. Seek, and you will find what we have found...and you will overcome any and all obstacles. But if you doubt, then you must seek; and, if you do in earnest, you will find...you will overcome, and it all will become so worthwhile.

Believe.

kcass

Amen brother Kent....Amen

Amen brother Kent....Amen
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

John, Mike and Hondo
    If y'all have a gathering, know I will be there in Spirit. IF THERE IS A MAJOR GATHERING- WHICH DOES SEEM TO ME A FINE IDEA- THEN LET THE TIME AND PLACE BE KNOWN BY ALL. I do have vacation time, from work. And every one of you is in my heart.
    Hondo- you, my Brother, are the Rock of this forum. You know what I am saying, my friend.

To all- no matter what gets dealt your way- know you can overcome. Believe you can, and you will. All you gotta do is BELIEVE. For me- that belief is in Jesus, and His Father, our God. To find that union of Belief, is to find immeasurable help. I cannot find the adequate Belief in other than the forementioned to realize a legitimate Faith-in, or Belief, in contemplating the possibilities of such. But such as that is for each of us, as individuals, to formulate for ourselves. Just know, that there are those of us, such as Hondo and myself, who have been tested to extremes, and our Faith/Belief has not been shaken in the least. Seek, and you will find what we have found...and you will overcome any and all obstacles. But if you doubt, then you must seek; and, if you do in earnest, you will find...you will overcome, and it all will become so worthwhile.

Believe.

kcass

Faith/Belief

I can only tell what I know and have seen with my own eyes in my life, God is good. I love the book of Job to me he was truly a man of faith and belief, when he lost everything, his children, his money, and his health, he never lost his Faith. God’s word the Bible is the only book in the world that has survived so many centuries of mans abuse and is still here for us today, another little miracle of the Father. To have faith or not to have faith is still a gift of God because he does not force his will on anyone but gives us all the freedom of choice
  • Chefdaddy
    Options
    Hondo said:

Faith/Belief

I can only tell what I know and have seen with my own eyes in my life, God is good. I love the book of Job to me he was truly a man of faith and belief, when he lost everything, his children, his money, and his health, he never lost his Faith. God’s word the Bible is the only book in the world that has survived so many centuries of mans abuse and is still here for us today, another little miracle of the Father. To have faith or not to have faith is still a gift of God because he does not force his will on anyone but gives us all the freedom of choice

Good morning my friend,
    I

Good morning my friend,

I could use some of those prayers today, in a few hours I go to the OR to have all of my teeth removed. Do you know if the "Magic mouthwash" will be useful for getting over that kind of surgical pain? I have not used it yet, I was saving it for the radiation burns in the very near future.

God bless

Mike
  • PrimaryX3
    PrimaryX3 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Good morning my friend,
    I

Good morning my friend,

I could use some of those prayers today, in a few hours I go to the OR to have all of my teeth removed. Do you know if the "Magic mouthwash" will be useful for getting over that kind of surgical pain? I have not used it yet, I was saving it for the radiation burns in the very near future.

God bless

Mike

Teeth
    Chefdaddy,
    I will be praying that your experience having teeth extracted goes as easily as mine did. I had to have all my teeth removed before my treatment started. It was the easiest part of this journey and I had absolutely no problem with it - no pain and no meds required. I didn't use magic mouthwash after the extractions, only during and after radiation. I don't know if it would have helped at that point but your dentist can advise you on what to use.
    Looking forward to hearing that all went well and you are healing with no pain at all. Please give those two beautiful children of yours a hug for me.
    Theresa
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Good morning my friend,
    I

Good morning my friend,

God bless

Mike

Daddy Mike

I never had my teeth removed, that is coming in the future. Theresa advice sound pretty much on the money of what I would expect. I have you in my prayers daddy Mike when you walk with the Lord you never walk alone.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Good morning my friend,
    I

Good morning my friend,

God bless

Mike

Prayers Sent
    Mike,

I hope all went well...more than likely it's going to take you a few days to get back in the groove. Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon and be pain free.

One thing that seemed to help me a lot though painful periods, especially after taking pain meds and eating was a nice warm shower. I don't know why, but it always took my pain away.

I'd take my pain solution, eat something then run to the shower for a nice long and very warm shower...LOL, funny as it seems, it was very soothing and took the pain away immediately.

Let us know how you are when you feel up to it.

Prayers and Thoughts,
    John
  • Chefdaddy
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Prayers Sent
    Mike,

I hope all went well...more than likely it's going to take you a few days to get back in the groove. Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon and be pain free.

One thing that seemed to help me a lot though painful periods, especially after taking pain meds and eating was a nice warm shower. I don't know why, but it always took my pain away.

I'd take my pain solution, eat something then run to the shower for a nice long and very warm shower...LOL, funny as it seems, it was very soothing and took the pain away immediately.

Let us know how you are when you feel up to it.

Prayers and Thoughts,
    John

Dearest Theresa, Hondo and
    Dearest Theresa, Hondo and John,

I'm glad your dental experience went off smooth Theresa, mine did for the most part.
    This surgery (No. 3) went well as far as no bad anesthesia problems as the two before.
    I woke up in recovery fairly well but in a lot of pain in my throat which I attributed to the air pipe rubbing on the tonsil surgery area. The mouth pain kicked in really fast which really surprised me, as the doctor told me he was going to numb my mouth up before I woke up, maybe he forgot. They medicated me but it didn't help much. I guess the surgeon had some very difficult teeth and roots to contend with. I'm doing pretty well other than a mouth full of stitches and several long stitch "tie offs" that keep sticking me in the tongue, some are about a half inch long. I'm going to give my young Oral Surgeon a bad time and send him a "How To" sewing book. lol

Today I got a troubling phone call from my kids awesome court appointed attorney, she had wanted to extend out the court hearing on the 22nd to at least 4 weeks out to give her more time to put a plan together between the kids counselor and their mother's counselor, myself and her to submit to the court, taking this issue out of the court. The kids mother had agreed, but then called back today and backed out, so now I have to go to court looking and sounding like Gabby Hayes (Roy Rogers side-kick for you youngsters) She has no custody and no visitation due to the amount of abuse by her and her boyfriend. She recently fired her fifth attorney and the court ordered an attorney for the kids. It will be interesting. Please keep us in prayer to keep the kids protected. They are afraid that the Judge will feel sorry for her and make them have supervised visitation with her.

John, when I'm in the shower it makes my stomach start start aching where the PEG is at. Did you have any of that? I usually stand in the shower, but now that I'm on pain meds I have to sit on a shower seat because I can't control my numb legs as well, I fell the other day.

Thank you, all of you, for your kind words, prayers, encouragement and friendship.

Your blessed friend

Mike
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

I'm glad your dental experience went off smooth Theresa, mine did for the most part.
    This surgery (No. 3) went well as far as no bad anesthesia problems as the two before.
    I woke up in recovery fairly well but in a lot of pain in my throat which I attributed to the air pipe rubbing on the tonsil surgery area. The mouth pain kicked in really fast which really surprised me, as the doctor told me he was going to numb my mouth up before I woke up, maybe he forgot. They medicated me but it didn't help much. I guess the surgeon had some very difficult teeth and roots to contend with. I'm doing pretty well other than a mouth full of stitches and several long stitch "tie offs" that keep sticking me in the tongue, some are about a half inch long. I'm going to give my young Oral Surgeon a bad time and send him a "How To" sewing book. lol

Today I got a troubling phone call from my kids awesome court appointed attorney, she had wanted to extend out the court hearing on the 22nd to at least 4 weeks out to give her more time to put a plan together between the kids counselor and their mother's counselor, myself and her to submit to the court, taking this issue out of the court. The kids mother had agreed, but then called back today and backed out, so now I have to go to court looking and sounding like Gabby Hayes (Roy Rogers side-kick for you youngsters) She has no custody and no visitation due to the amount of abuse by her and her boyfriend. She recently fired her fifth attorney and the court ordered an attorney for the kids. It will be interesting. Please keep us in prayer to keep the kids protected. They are afraid that the Judge will feel sorry for her and make them have supervised visitation with her.

John, when I'm in the shower it makes my stomach start start aching where the PEG is at. Did you have any of that? I usually stand in the shower, but now that I'm on pain meds I have to sit on a shower seat because I can't control my numb legs as well, I fell the other day.

Thank you, all of you, for your kind words, prayers, encouragement and friendship.

Your blessed friend

Mike

Daddy Mike

Glad to hear you made it out ok, I know this is still in my future and I am not looking forward to have the teeth removed so I will put it off as long as possible. You and the kids will always be in my prayers, take it easy for a few days and let the mouth heal.

God keep you & your Children in his care
  • Chefdaddy
    Options
    Hondo said:

Daddy Mike

Glad to hear you made it out ok, I know this is still in my future and I am not looking forward to have the teeth removed so I will put it off as long as possible. You and the kids will always be in my prayers, take it easy for a few days and let the mouth heal.

God keep you & your Children in his care

Thanks Hondo,
    The worst

Thanks Hondo,

The worst thing is that my brain keeps forgetting that the teeth are gone when I'm hungry.
    I don't know how many times I've reached for a snack and started to take a bite out of it before realization finally kicked in. I'll blame it on the meds. lol

I know it will be better in a week or so. Just whining!

How are your new hearing aids doing for you? I've lost most of my hearing in my right ear after they removed my lymph node, I don't know if it will ever return.

Have a great day today my friend and thanks for keeping my prayer back covered.

Mike
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Thanks Hondo,
    The worst

Thanks Hondo,

The worst thing is that my brain keeps forgetting that the teeth are gone when I'm hungry.
    I don't know how many times I've reached for a snack and started to take a bite out of it before realization finally kicked in. I'll blame it on the meds. lol

I know it will be better in a week or so. Just whining!

How are your new hearing aids doing for you? I've lost most of my hearing in my right ear after they removed my lymph node, I don't know if it will ever return.

Have a great day today my friend and thanks for keeping my prayer back covered.

Mike

Daddy Mike
    I believe it will take this old brain quite a while to get use to hearing again, I find my self pulling the hearing aids out just to stop the noise, sometimes I believe my world of silent’s is so must better then this on of noise. I am getting better with it; I can hear the wife telling me what to do now, so that helps quite a bit, and people at work do not have to repeat everything two or three times to me anymore. It is like anything is all takes time to get better, like you said your brain needs to get use to the teeth not being there and mine needs to get use to noise, what a pickle we get into.

Take care and God be with you and the children
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Your blessed friend

Mike

PEG
    Glad you made it thru Mike...the pain will get better and ease off soon I'm sure.

I was lucky enough not to need a PEG, one of the advantages of having a few extra pounds I guess.

Hope all works out well for you and the kids,
    John
  • fishingirl
    fishingirl Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Hondo said:

Faith/Belief

Thank you Hondo. I couldn't
    Thank you Hondo. I couldn't agree with you more:)

Cindy
  • Hondo
    Options

Thank you Hondo. I couldn't
    Thank you Hondo. I couldn't agree with you more:)

Cindy

Hi Little Sister Cindy

How are you doing these days, I am always glad to see your post and know you are ok. Hope the shopping is going well, take care and God be with you.
  • Chefdaddy
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Little Sister Cindy

How are you doing these days, I am always glad to see your post and know you are ok. Hope the shopping is going well, take care and God be with you.

My dear friends,
    Hondo, I

My dear friends,

Hondo, I was really hoping that they were going to help you to better hear your guitars acoustics. I do pray that it will happen for you my friend.

John, I'm starting to really dislike soup, ice cream and oatmeal. lol

Cindy, keep up your good work staying healthy.

Thank you all for your prayers.

Mike
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

My dear friends,
    Hondo, I

My dear friends,

Hondo, I was really hoping that they were going to help you to better hear your guitars acoustics. I do pray that it will happen for you my friend.

Mike

Daddy Mike
    Jesus told me that when I get to heaven he will give me a new set of ears 1000 times better that any ear on earth. I had them adjusted the other day and they are doing better or I am doing better, like anything I just need to get adjusted to the new sound
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

My dear friends,
    Hondo, I

My dear friends,

Mike

Ice Cream
    I haven't tried ice cream in awhile, LOL.... But soup does taste bad for some reason. I seem to have more trouble with soups and sauces.... Hmmm oatmeal I haven't tried for awhile either, LOL....

I remember when my taste was the worse, I think I must have had 15 or 20 different things from the fridge just trying to find something that had flavor....

The best thing ever I think that came back 100% was the taste of water. Nothing seems to satisfy my thirst as much as water. At my worst during and after the radiation, water tasted like sweat. Slightly salty, kind of saline taste, it was just plain nasty....

I'm sooo glad that it has came back and once again, I love water...good thing as I have a botttle with me pretty much 24/7.

Stay positive and keep posting friend.

God Bless,
    John
  • klittle
    klittle Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Dearest Cindy,
    Thank you so

Dearest Cindy,

Thank you so very much for your prayers.

I was going to write to you earlier but I had to lie down due to all the discomfort.

I left the hospital without any pain meds and the pharmacies closed for the holiday.

I'm looking forward to Saturday when they reopen.

I'm afraid I have to end this quickly as I'm having spasms around the PET and need to lie

down again.

I thank God for your being here.

Chefdaddy Mike

PEG pain
    Chefdaddy I've experienced the same cramping in the muscles around my PEG as well. I vented it, never was convinced it helped, but I tried it. I've also dropped 40lbs since I started treatment for stage 4 tonsil and throat, which may have affected the way it fits as well. Sorry to hear they're going to pull your teeth. I'm trying to save mine, but hope for that is fading as brushing and flossing cause the sores from radiation to bleed and the fluoride trays the dentist made for me make me gag, which as you know isn't pleasant either. All I can say is hang in there. It's been my strategy, and eventually light has to show up at the end of the tunnel.
  • Chefdaddy
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Ice Cream
    I haven't tried ice cream in awhile, LOL.... But soup does taste bad for some reason. I seem to have more trouble with soups and sauces.... Hmmm oatmeal I haven't tried for awhile either, LOL....

I remember when my taste was the worse, I think I must have had 15 or 20 different things from the fridge just trying to find something that had flavor....

The best thing ever I think that came back 100% was the taste of water. Nothing seems to satisfy my thirst as much as water. At my worst during and after the radiation, water tasted like sweat. Slightly salty, kind of saline taste, it was just plain nasty....

I'm sooo glad that it has came back and once again, I love water...good thing as I have a botttle with me pretty much 24/7.

Stay positive and keep posting friend.

God Bless,
    John

Thanks John and Hondo,
    To

Thanks John and Hondo,

To think I haven't even started my radiation yet, this is just trying to get some nourishment with these screaming gums and a sore throat. lol I've never been a fan of water, I think I've had too much nasty tasting water in the past. It's always had to be flavored with tea or coffee for me to drink it. I know from what you all have written that my mouth and throat will be in for a huge change after the radiation begins. I'm certainly not looking forward to it, but not doing it is certainly not an option.

Have you guys experienced people coming out of the woodwork with all these multi-level marketed health "cure-all" vitamins and other weird stuff? Wanting you to stop your treatments and start using the products they are pitching? It seems like as soon as they hear the word cancer they have the solution. When my son was diagnosed with leukemia his doctors made it very clear to not give him anything that wasn't prescribed by them as great harm could come from it.

I know some people really believe in their cure-alls, but I wonder if they realize how dangerous it can be for someone.

God Bless you guys
    Mike
  • Hondo
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Thanks John and Hondo,
    To

Thanks John and Hondo,

To think I haven't even started my radiation yet, this is just trying to get some nourishment with these screaming gums and a sore throat. lol I've never been a fan of water, I think I've had too much nasty tasting water in the past. It's always had to be flavored with tea or coffee for me to drink it. I know from what you all have written that my mouth and throat will be in for a huge change after the radiation begins. I'm certainly not looking forward to it, but not doing it is certainly not an option.

Have you guys experienced people coming out of the woodwork with all these multi-level marketed health "cure-all" vitamins and other weird stuff? Wanting you to stop your treatments and start using the products they are pitching? It seems like as soon as they hear the word cancer they have the solution. When my son was diagnosed with leukemia his doctors made it very clear to not give him anything that wasn't prescribed by them as great harm could come from it.

I know some people really believe in their cure-alls, but I wonder if they realize how dangerous it can be for someone.

God Bless you guys
    Mike

Daddy Mike
    Cancer is nothing new under the Sun it has been here for Thousands of years and people have been being cured from its deadly affects using just natural stuff. Our medical industry has made a business out of selling people cancer cures; we pump Billions of Dollars in to finding not a cure but a better drug to help control cancer or people.

That being said, I have been searching for many years for that natural cancer cure thing and I find a lot of garbage on the internet, everyone wanting to sell you a cancer cure, it has become nothing more then a money racket, sad that money is more important then people to some. It is very hard to get through the garbage to find the stuff that really does work. There are alternative and natural herbal treatments for cancer beside Radiation and Chemo that do work very well and sometime better with no side affects. My personal believe is in the way the Bible tells us to seek for healing wend we are sick look at James 5:14

Jms:5:14: Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: Once the Elders of the church have prayed for you then go out and let God lead you to healing, Whether that be doctors or alternative treatment I believe the most important part is just having Faith that God is leading, and keeping your faith in God not the Doctors or the alternative treatment as they are only the instruments that God uses.

I believe our Doctors are great people and many of them are true to there calling in wanting to help people who are sick get better. We should not bypass them as God has giving them the special ability to help heal our bodies, The quality I look for in my Doctors is one where he knows that he is not the healer only the instrument in the hand of God to bring relief to a trouble soul who is sick.

I am very blessed in that my Oncologist is a true Christian man, who told me when I finished treatment the last time, He said I have done all I can do it is now in the hands of God. Never were words more true.

God bless and keep you my friend
  • Chefdaddy
    Options
    Hondo said:

Daddy Mike
    Cancer is nothing new under the Sun it has been here for Thousands of years and people have been being cured from its deadly affects using just natural stuff. Our medical industry has made a business out of selling people cancer cures; we pump Billions of Dollars in to finding not a cure but a better drug to help control cancer or people.

That being said, I have been searching for many years for that natural cancer cure thing and I find a lot of garbage on the internet, everyone wanting to sell you a cancer cure, it has become nothing more then a money racket, sad that money is more important then people to some. It is very hard to get through the garbage to find the stuff that really does work. There are alternative and natural herbal treatments for cancer beside Radiation and Chemo that do work very well and sometime better with no side affects. My personal believe is in the way the Bible tells us to seek for healing wend we are sick look at James 5:14

Jms:5:14: Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: Once the Elders of the church have prayed for you then go out and let God lead you to healing, Whether that be doctors or alternative treatment I believe the most important part is just having Faith that God is leading, and keeping your faith in God not the Doctors or the alternative treatment as they are only the instruments that God uses.

I believe our Doctors are great people and many of them are true to there calling in wanting to help people who are sick get better. We should not bypass them as God has giving them the special ability to help heal our bodies, The quality I look for in my Doctors is one where he knows that he is not the healer only the instrument in the hand of God to bring relief to a trouble soul who is sick.

I am very blessed in that my Oncologist is a true Christian man, who told me when I finished treatment the last time, He said I have done all I can do it is now in the hands of God. Never were words more true.

God bless and keep you my friend

Good morning my friend,
    I'm

Good morning my friend,

I'm having a difficult time with my mouth, very painful. I was up all night, taking as much meds as allowed but it didn't help. I don't know if this is normal and I'm just a whiner or if something else is in play. I know they had some difficulty removing them.

I will check in later but I'm going horizontal for a while.

God Bless ya my friend

Mike