How do I hang on?

Options

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    You can't not think about it
    when you are first dx. Just remember- When you can't look back, and you are afraid to look ahead, look beside you and we (your cyber sisters) will be there.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    hello and welcome
    Hi,I am so sorry that you have Cancer.As far as thinking about it 24/7 it is hard not two.When I first got the news that was all i could think about.I found this sight one day and it has been a God sent for me.Their is the most caring loving people on this sight.So it is great that you found it.I am 6months into my dignoses now.I am finishing radiation in few days.Thank God.Its never easy to deal with but in time it gets a little easier.I still have days where I want to cry all day.as far as people saying it will be ok they mean well so i take it that way.Your going to get all kinds of different reactions.Some good and some plain dumb coments.And unfortuntley it seams that we are always waiting on some test result or to ask questions to the Dr.It helps to writte down your questions for the Dr.Their is a light at the end of the tunnel,I am almost their and you will be also.We are here when you need us.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    ppurdin said:

hello and welcome
    Hi,I am so sorry that you have Cancer.As far as thinking about it 24/7 it is hard not two.When I first got the news that was all i could think about.I found this sight one day and it has been a God sent for me.Their is the most caring loving people on this sight.So it is great that you found it.I am 6months into my dignoses now.I am finishing radiation in few days.Thank God.Its never easy to deal with but in time it gets a little easier.I still have days where I want to cry all day.as far as people saying it will be ok they mean well so i take it that way.Your going to get all kinds of different reactions.Some good and some plain dumb coments.And unfortuntley it seams that we are always waiting on some test result or to ask questions to the Dr.It helps to writte down your questions for the Dr.Their is a light at the end of the tunnel,I am almost their and you will be also.We are here when you need us.Love and Prayers.(Pat).

Welcome and hang in there
    I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. This site is awesome and the people are great. Everyone understands and knows exactly what you are going through. I found that my friends and family had no idea what it meant to have cancer and unfortunatley they still do not fully get it. The greatest thing about this site is that you can ask anyone anything and there are people here that will help you. I remember the day I was diagonosed, over a year ago and I can tell you exactly where I was standing and what I was wearing when the call came in. After that...it's all history. Sadness, anger, and just being upset in general is normal. Thinking about it is normal. Heck, if you cut off your toe wouldn't you think about it everytime you put on a sock? There are tons of questions, lots of information and decisions that need to be made and it all goes so fast at first. Take someone with you who can be an extra set of ears for you when you see your doctor; I don't know about the rest of you but I went into this world where all I heard was blah blah blah after I heard 'we will conqure this' from my doctor. Thank goodness I had the extra set of ears! The journey does not get easier but it does get better, and sometimes it is very interesting to say the least. There are so many positives that come from this; a new outlook on life, taking time for little things, appreciating things you never did before. Faith, support from friends and family and this site will help you through. There are no stupid questions you can ask. Keep your mind focused on the ultimate prize, beating this Beast and moving forward with your life. It's a scary place to be but know you will be safe here and that your doctors will see that you get the best care possible. You will overcome this and come out stronger than ever! God bless Tat and know we are all here for you. Tracey
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Sorry and Welcome
    Sorry you are here, but you'll find the best support group of women who have walked where you are gonna go, whether it is surgery, chemo, radiation and/or all three. Take your time absorbing and remember, information/knowledge is power.
    Best of luck and God Bless...

Julie
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    jbug said:

Sorry and Welcome
    Sorry you are here, but you'll find the best support group of women who have walked where you are gonna go, whether it is surgery, chemo, radiation and/or all three. Take your time absorbing and remember, information/knowledge is power.
    Best of luck and God Bless...

Julie

Hi Tat
    Welcome, there is a lot of us here. I to have IDC Stage 3 Her2 Positive,I had a lumpectomy last June.Just finish Chemo and about to start Rads. There is going to be so much help for you here. Someone will pretty much always be able to answer your questions. I found that sometimes I could understand better when it came from the boards then my doctor. We all know the fear your feeling right now, but trust me it will get a little better. You will come to a point where you are able to deal with it all better, even the stupid things people say and do. To say you will forget you have cancer, I don't think that will ever happen, but you will have moments. The words Hang in there is all I have for you. Your at the beginning of a very scary process. You will get through it. One moment, one day at a time.We are here for you, Cry, Vent, Whatever. Hang In There
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    Options
    24/7
    Hello, welcome to this great support message board...
    You're going to feel great talking to us, asking questions
    and just reading other comments...
    Is nice to know we are not the only one going thru this...
    Is nice to be able to ask ANY question and someone will answer it with an experience and suggestions...and even if they don't have the answer they will give you the support you need.
    This is a long journey, some days better than others....
    We are here for you.....
    There are people that make some stupid comment which hurt our feelings and sometimes we want to tell them off...and sometimes we do....just some people don't think before they talk....
    I will be praying for you...
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Sending you lots of hugs and
    Sending you lots of hugs and prayers. You will get thru it.

Sue :)
  • Ritzy
    Options
    sorry triple posts
  • Ritzy
    Options
    sorry double post

sorry double post
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this wonderful
    Welcome to this wonderful board of pink sisters. You are not alone. You are entitled to feel anything you want. We have all been there. The roller coaster journey has just begun and hope you will let us be right there with you. I have gotten so much info, support and understanding from everyone here. Keep the faith and take care of yourself. Marilyn
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    terri805 said:

so sorry
    Tat2granny,

So sorry that you are worrying 24/7. I was just given the "bad news" a week ago this past Friday. I could not stop thinking about it at all. I cried pretty much for 2 days non stop. It is def a shock and there is so much unknown that everything goes through your mind and I have three kids still at home and I cried for them. All within a weeks time I was dx, mri, and surgery. I came to this site terrified and after all the positive women and men here going through the many different stages and treatments I thought, look at what everyone here is dealing with, and with all the support and encouragement that they gave me I said to myself "if all these people can go through all this and still be positive then I can to".I must admit though that from time to time I catch myself falling back to obsessing but I come on this site and read and it gives me courage to fight again. I am sure that you will find yourself on a roller coaster of emotions as well. I know it is very hard to not think about it but try to educate yourself through the different cancer websites and read the comments on this site and you will find that it really helps to talk to others that are now going through what you are or have already gone through it. May God help you through this very difficult time. My prayers are with you.

Terri~ is the 805 in your
    Terri~ is the 805 in your username your area code? If so, it's mine too!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    chenheart said:

Well, for today, and the
    Well, for today, and the next forseeable tomorrows, there is no way you CAN'T think about it 24/7...but once you have a game plan, and rally the troops ( which now includes all of us at your side!) and take charge of not just doing battle with, but Killing the Beast, it won't loom ever so large, and won't invade all of your waking moments.
    As you will see from these boards, we talk about our vacations, our shopping excursions, parties we go to, children and grandchildren, silliness, downright goofiness, and yes, the Serious Things, too. I always say this is a safe place to land~ we understand all of the emotions tied up not so prettily with a cancer diagnosis.

But take heart~ you are our past, and we are your future. And if you feel an unexpected tug on your fingers, don't be alarmed, it's just all of us taking hold and pulling you through to Life After Cancer.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

chenheart from terri805
    Hi Chenhart,
    Yes the 805 was my area code. We relocated to Co about a year ago :( We miss Cali soooo much. We were forced to move due to my husbands job. We lived in Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park. What area are you from? We got like 10 to 12 inches of snow in the last 2 days. We do not like the cold weather here. It is a beautiful place to visit but I don't like living here.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    terri805 said:

chenheart from terri805
    Hi Chenhart,
    Yes the 805 was my area code. We relocated to Co about a year ago :( We miss Cali soooo much. We were forced to move due to my husbands job. We lived in Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park. What area are you from? We got like 10 to 12 inches of snow in the last 2 days. We do not like the cold weather here. It is a beautiful place to visit but I don't like living here.

Hi fellow 805'er!
    I am in Santa Ynez, about 30 miles north of Santa Barbara and 3 miles from Solvang~ but if you are from the Thousand Oaks area you probably know exactly where I am! As you know, it does get brrrrr cold here at night ( it was 26 last night!) but it still warms up to the low 70's during the day~ so I can imagine that a foot of snow is NOT to your liking!

If you ever have reason to be back, let's get together!!

Merry Christmas! At least you have a White Wonderland~ and I have heard that Co has the most health conscience population of all 50 states! That has got to be a good thing! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

You have received good
    You have received good advice so I will just say we are all here for you 24/7.
    Stef

Just want to add my saying
    Just want to add my saying how sorry I am that you have bc. We are here for you whenever you need us.

KYLEZ ♥
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    24/7
    Sorry yu had to come here but nice to meet yu. We will walk every step with yu and it will get better. hugs and love to yu
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    ladybug22 said:

24/7
    Sorry yu had to come here but nice to meet yu. We will walk every step with yu and it will get better. hugs and love to yu

We will all help you however
    We will all help you however we can. We never close here.

Leeza
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    jnl said:

We will all help you however
    We will all help you however we can. We never close here.

Leeza

Welcome to the group nobody wants to join....
    I like what Maize said. We all have been where you are right now and are here to help you have someone to lean on. It took me a much longer time to start writing on here, you should be proud of yourself that you took this important step to reach out for help as soon as you did. I was in disbelief and shock and mostly depressed for the first month after it was discovered. Like it was someone else, not me! It just CAN'T happen to ME!!! Now I still feel that way sometimes, but coming on here helps. Reading about how other women are handling it and reaching out to help others is why this discussion Board was started.
    AMEN to that!
    Merry Christmas and may we ALL have a much better 2010!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome, Tat. It is hard not to worry about your diagnosis especially when you have to wait until the turn of the year to hear how they will treat it. It is good that you found this site to help you release what you may be feeling. There are a great many women and men on this site who can help you through both the good and bad times.

People don't understand cancer. It is true that they think since you are walking, talking, and reporting to work that you are healed and that nothing is wrong with you anymore. They are so wrong. They think that because they can't see your low red and white blood cells. They can't see the sores in your mouth or elsewhere. They will never experience the weakness you feel when undergoing chemo.

I hate people like my boss, constantly telling me, "You got to push through it". I think that is easy for someone like him to say. You aren't puking your guts out on a daily basis or having so many bowel movements that your hiney has lost its outer layer of skin. We go through hell on a daily basis and only those who have gone through it themselves truly understand what it is like.

But we have this site and we have each other. You have your life and your loved ones. I hang on to that when it gets tough. Have a Merry Christmas.

P
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    Options

Another question
    All they have told me so far is that I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC) And a lot that tells me lol Nothing yet about what stage. I guess the trip to the doctor Jan 5 will tell me a lot. Thanks to all that replied! I know all of you have been in the same crappy boat I'm in and that helps a lot. Just knowing there are women out there at care really helps. Just one more question if you don't mind. How in the world do all these people think it helps when they see you cry and say,,"It's going to be ok,,you'll be fine?" What do you say without sounding like an idiot? I want to say "No it's not going to be alright! Good Lord I Have Cancer!"

no its not going to be ok
    positive attude chickie is going to get you thru this, and faith
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    Welcome to the best place
    in the world to be even if it's for the worst of reasons - BC. 24/7 is pretty normal, but with the support and love from the women on this site, I've come through this. I was first diagnosed in August, have had a bilateral mastectomy (my choice due to family history), have finished 3 of 4 rounds of chemo (due to Oncotype score) and will begin my 5 years of Armidex in Feb (I think).
    I've had highs and lows, read jokes and condolences, made weekend plans, made week goals, and all with these wonderful warriors. I was able to accept myself as not the super woman I had always thought I was to a normal BC survivor doing what she needed to and not alone in this battle.
    I hope that you find peace and some enjoyment through this holiday season. Sending you ((((internet hugs)))) and {{{{{{positive vibes}}}}}}.
    Come visit us often to read, vent, ask question (lots of smart women here), and post. Remember, we are spread through 5 time zones east to west (hawaiian islands) North to south (canada to some posts that came from Mexico I believe) and we never close. I have found that sometimes when I post late at night, there may not be a response immediately but I'll generally have something by morning.
    Merry Christmas - Lola