What's Cooking?... Christmas Dinner/Lunch?

tasha_111
tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK, I just had to start this one off, as most of you already know, I am hardly a 'Domestic Goddess' lol (If it ain't boil in the bag or microwave forget it).
Sooooooooo What do all you Americans (and others) have on Christmas day for the main meal?

I'm doing Roast leg of Lamb with Rosemary. A huge heap of mashed tates (so I can have bubble and squeak the rest of the week) Brussels, Leeks, Asparagus and peppered buttered cabbage, gravy and mint sauce, and of course Yorkshire Pudding.

Oh Blimey, My stomach is rumbling just typing this!

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
«1

Comments

  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    We are going to Christmas
    We are going to Christmas Day Brunch at my daughter's. Eggs, potatoes, fresh fruit, waffles or french toast, and bacon. Den and I are going to have a simple dinner that evening. Something boiled, nuked or ready to bake in the oven. I went to the same culinary school. But if you don't do the cooking where are going to get this bountiful harvest. It sounds yummy. I think I had Yorkshire pudding once. It's not pudding right, but it looks like something that had the air let out of it. I can't even remember whether I liked it or not. But I do like lam and asparagus. Nice idea to hear the different menus. Then I will know exactly where I should head to mooch a meal.
    Stef
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    fauxma said:

    We are going to Christmas
    We are going to Christmas Day Brunch at my daughter's. Eggs, potatoes, fresh fruit, waffles or french toast, and bacon. Den and I are going to have a simple dinner that evening. Something boiled, nuked or ready to bake in the oven. I went to the same culinary school. But if you don't do the cooking where are going to get this bountiful harvest. It sounds yummy. I think I had Yorkshire pudding once. It's not pudding right, but it looks like something that had the air let out of it. I can't even remember whether I liked it or not. But I do like lam and asparagus. Nice idea to hear the different menus. Then I will know exactly where I should head to mooch a meal.
    Stef

    Having
    Having steaks, potatoes and veggies on Christmas eve at home.
    On Christmas day we are going to my mothers for a Ham dinner with all the fixings-potatoes, veggies and rolls.

    Margo
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Wow!~ I'm coming to YOUR house!!!!!
    We are having roast beef, scalloped potatoes, stir fried pea pods and marshmallow pudding (a family tradition). But that's on Christmas Eve...Christmas day is airplane food (we leave at 4pm from LAX).

    Second Christmas day is in Holland. There will be Ewrte soep (split pea soup, usually sold at little stalls along skating canals...lol) and yummy dutch bread...the BEST in the world!!!

    Hugs, Kathi

    P.S. Traditional Dutch fare (from my MIL) was hare stew(laced with yummy red wine) on boiled potatoes (opperdoezen...the champagne of potatoes...lol), celery root salad (like potatoe salad, just with cooked celery root ball), and chipolata pudding (mmmmm...my mouth is watering, too!)
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    KathiM said:

    Wow!~ I'm coming to YOUR house!!!!!
    We are having roast beef, scalloped potatoes, stir fried pea pods and marshmallow pudding (a family tradition). But that's on Christmas Eve...Christmas day is airplane food (we leave at 4pm from LAX).

    Second Christmas day is in Holland. There will be Ewrte soep (split pea soup, usually sold at little stalls along skating canals...lol) and yummy dutch bread...the BEST in the world!!!

    Hugs, Kathi

    P.S. Traditional Dutch fare (from my MIL) was hare stew(laced with yummy red wine) on boiled potatoes (opperdoezen...the champagne of potatoes...lol), celery root salad (like potatoe salad, just with cooked celery root ball), and chipolata pudding (mmmmm...my mouth is watering, too!)

    Kathi
    WOW, not only do I

    Kathi
    WOW, not only do I like the menu for both meals, if I crash your dinners I get to go to Holland. One of my favorite stories was Hans Brinker and The Silver Skates. I had never seen snow or ice (except at our indoor ice rink) and I just pictured the frozen canals and ice skating along with the snow falling. Your dinners both sound lovely. Enjoy your home in Holland and the holidays. And of course, Healthy New Year.

    Stef
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    fauxma said:

    Kathi
    WOW, not only do I

    Kathi
    WOW, not only do I like the menu for both meals, if I crash your dinners I get to go to Holland. One of my favorite stories was Hans Brinker and The Silver Skates. I had never seen snow or ice (except at our indoor ice rink) and I just pictured the frozen canals and ice skating along with the snow falling. Your dinners both sound lovely. Enjoy your home in Holland and the holidays. And of course, Healthy New Year.

    Stef

    Kathi
    The meals sound great! Hey my Boss/Best friend was well impressed with the Dutch writing on her card (Thanks to you) she said, 'Hey this is awesome, it's perfect' I told her I got it from a friend................ Thanks jxxxxxxxxx
  • minermom
    minermom Member Posts: 8
    Primanti sandwiches!!!!
    We lived in Pittsburgh 16 years and our fav food from there are Primanti sandwiches. Two of our children and their spouses are coming and asked us to make them instead of the traditional ham and turkey. So here goes.

    Start with a sheet of waxed paper. Place a thick slice of French bread on it. Now add whatever meat you'd like (my fav is Italian sausage, others like corned beef, turkey or fried eggs) covered with cheese. Now add some cole slaw, then french fries. Top it with another slice of that French bread. Slice in half with a large butcher knife and enjoy! Of course we'll serve the ever-popular pierogies as a side dish.

    The kids are so worried about me overdoing that they want everything simple and I'm not complaining! They'll actually do all the cooking themselves.

    Hmm, I might have to add a pot of gluwein!

    Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!
    Lee Ann
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    fauxma said:

    Kathi
    WOW, not only do I

    Kathi
    WOW, not only do I like the menu for both meals, if I crash your dinners I get to go to Holland. One of my favorite stories was Hans Brinker and The Silver Skates. I had never seen snow or ice (except at our indoor ice rink) and I just pictured the frozen canals and ice skating along with the snow falling. Your dinners both sound lovely. Enjoy your home in Holland and the holidays. And of course, Healthy New Year.

    Stef

    Stef, we have 2 guest bedrooms, and lots of sights to see!!!!
    The welcome mat is out, dearheart! All that is required is that you find your own way over...involved is getting a passport and a plane ticket, but then, we'll show you a grand time!!!!! I just spoke with our housekeeper...it's 25 degrees (32 is freezing, of course) and snowing!!!!!! YEA! skating on second Christmas day!!!!

    Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year to you and yours!!!!

    BTW, come over on New Year's eve...the dutch spent over $125,000,000 (that's MILLION) last year in fireworks for this special night...lol...it sounds like WWII must have!!!!

    BIG hugs, Kathi
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    First, what is bubble and
    First, what is bubble and squeak?! For Christmas day, i am making a turkey, stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, yams and stuffed shells. this is exactly what we had on Thanksgiving, my kids asked for a repeat. Plus, we are having ham and a cesear salad. I have about 12 people coming over. And for desert, homemade butter cookies, and my daughters homemade cake. Cannot forget the Sangria!
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    KathiM said:

    Stef, we have 2 guest bedrooms, and lots of sights to see!!!!
    The welcome mat is out, dearheart! All that is required is that you find your own way over...involved is getting a passport and a plane ticket, but then, we'll show you a grand time!!!!! I just spoke with our housekeeper...it's 25 degrees (32 is freezing, of course) and snowing!!!!!! YEA! skating on second Christmas day!!!!

    Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year to you and yours!!!!

    BTW, come over on New Year's eve...the dutch spent over $125,000,000 (that's MILLION) last year in fireworks for this special night...lol...it sounds like WWII must have!!!!

    BIG hugs, Kathi

    Oh Kahti... Holland has
    Oh Kahti... Holland has always been my "Dream" destination... watch out... Ireland was wonderful... But Holland has always been my #1 place to go.... and I do have a passport...lol
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Christmas Day about 2
    Christmas Day about 2 o'clock I have about 30 people that will be at my door step...

    Appitizer Menu: Shrimp bites, deviled eggs, olive tray, stuffed celery, salmon bites

    Dinner Menu includes: Turkey w/stuffing, ham, baked mashed potatoes (15 pounds of 'em), two sweet potatoe pies, homemade macaroni and cheese, fresh green beans in brown butter w/pine nuts, Broccoli w/cheese, home made cinnamon raisin bread, cranberry sause

    Desert Menu... 2 pumpkin pies, and whatever my guests bring...usually I do all of it.. this year hubby put his foot down and said no... so I'm just doing the appitizers and dinner...

    Now I'm hungry!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    KathiM said:

    Stef, we have 2 guest bedrooms, and lots of sights to see!!!!
    The welcome mat is out, dearheart! All that is required is that you find your own way over...involved is getting a passport and a plane ticket, but then, we'll show you a grand time!!!!! I just spoke with our housekeeper...it's 25 degrees (32 is freezing, of course) and snowing!!!!!! YEA! skating on second Christmas day!!!!

    Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year to you and yours!!!!

    BTW, come over on New Year's eve...the dutch spent over $125,000,000 (that's MILLION) last year in fireworks for this special night...lol...it sounds like WWII must have!!!!

    BIG hugs, Kathi

    What a lovely invitation,
    What a lovely invitation, but I really don't travel. It sounds like your holiday is going to be delightful. Enjoy, enjoy.
    Big hugs right back,
    Stef
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Whereas when I was growing
    Whereas when I was growing up we always did the standing rib roast with all the fixings, including yorkshire pudding and yes, pleanty of cabbagy-vegetables( is that a word?) to make bubble and squeak the next day~ now I do not do that. Thanksgiving is the big company and lots of food day~ Christmas is more fragmented. Reggie's mom, sister, nieces, etc will be up in Lake Tahoe in their vacation home from tomorrow until after the New Year, and his daughters' mom is in town. So...the girls are spending Christmas Eve with their mother, and coming over for breakfast Christmas morning. I make crepes, bowls of fresh fruit, juice and coffee, etc etc. They will then spend the rest of the day visiting b/f's and cousins, and will be having Christmas dinner with their mother and her fiance.
    So~ it will be Reggie and Siobhan and me! Which is wonderful! I am probably making lasagna!
    I have lots of Italian relatives, and it is a tradition to make it, and there is nothing like pasta, bread, salad and wine to make the ♥ shine! LOL

    That, and some old Turner Classic Movies in the afternoon...in my mind it doesn't get much better than that ! Happy Holidays, everyone!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    taleena said:

    Christmas Day about 2
    Christmas Day about 2 o'clock I have about 30 people that will be at my door step...

    Appitizer Menu: Shrimp bites, deviled eggs, olive tray, stuffed celery, salmon bites

    Dinner Menu includes: Turkey w/stuffing, ham, baked mashed potatoes (15 pounds of 'em), two sweet potatoe pies, homemade macaroni and cheese, fresh green beans in brown butter w/pine nuts, Broccoli w/cheese, home made cinnamon raisin bread, cranberry sause

    Desert Menu... 2 pumpkin pies, and whatever my guests bring...usually I do all of it.. this year hubby put his foot down and said no... so I'm just doing the appitizers and dinner...

    Now I'm hungry!

    ~T
    If everyone showes up on your doorstep at the same time you won't notice one extra will you?I'm glad that you are taking it easy this year and "just" fixing appetizers and dinner for 31 people. Jadie<3
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Our Christmas food tradition
    Our Christmas food tradition starts with candy from the Christmas stockings first thing in the am. Then we wander around with bowls of cereal as the spirit moves us as we open presents. I usually make lasagna the day before......because.........after the presents and phone calls to and from family................we go skiing!

    Hardly anyone turns up at the ski hill on Christmas day and it almost feels as if we have the beautiful day and glorious mountain all to ourselves. It's a meal for the soul.

    xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    lynn1950 said:

    Our Christmas food tradition
    Our Christmas food tradition starts with candy from the Christmas stockings first thing in the am. Then we wander around with bowls of cereal as the spirit moves us as we open presents. I usually make lasagna the day before......because.........after the presents and phone calls to and from family................we go skiing!

    Hardly anyone turns up at the ski hill on Christmas day and it almost feels as if we have the beautiful day and glorious mountain all to ourselves. It's a meal for the soul.

    xoxoxoxo Lynn

    Bubble and Squeak..
    Re fried mashed tates and veggies, tastes better than the actual meal. It is a christmas tradition in Leicestershire (Where I am from) to have Pork Pie and Pickles for breakfast christmas day............YUCK! Thank goodness my Mum is from Derbyshire and wouldn't entertain such codswallop!....I hate Pork Pies, and Pickles would give me gas for the entire day (Oh well, there's the entertainment LOLOL)
    Hugz jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    tasha_111 said:

    Bubble and Squeak..
    Re fried mashed tates and veggies, tastes better than the actual meal. It is a christmas tradition in Leicestershire (Where I am from) to have Pork Pie and Pickles for breakfast christmas day............YUCK! Thank goodness my Mum is from Derbyshire and wouldn't entertain such codswallop!....I hate Pork Pies, and Pickles would give me gas for the entire day (Oh well, there's the entertainment LOLOL)
    Hugz jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ROFLMAO! Pork Pie and
    ROFLMAO! Pork Pie and Pickles! Merry Christmas, Julia.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    tasha_111 said:

    Bubble and Squeak..
    Re fried mashed tates and veggies, tastes better than the actual meal. It is a christmas tradition in Leicestershire (Where I am from) to have Pork Pie and Pickles for breakfast christmas day............YUCK! Thank goodness my Mum is from Derbyshire and wouldn't entertain such codswallop!....I hate Pork Pies, and Pickles would give me gas for the entire day (Oh well, there's the entertainment LOLOL)
    Hugz jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Pork Pie and pickles would
    Pork Pie and pickles would cause just about anyone to Bubble and Squeak...I'm just saying!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    chenheart said:

    Pork Pie and pickles would
    Pork Pie and pickles would cause just about anyone to Bubble and Squeak...I'm just saying!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥

    LOL
    Sure would...........Who needs a Telly with all that going on?....... Too Funny! Jxxxxxxxxxx
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    tasha_111 said:

    LOL
    Sure would...........Who needs a Telly with all that going on?....... Too Funny! Jxxxxxxxxxx

    Traditional Christmas in Missouri a bit different
    Being as my family is just a bunch of ole hillbillies we are having a fishfry at my sister's. My Mom just can't believe that we never want the traditional turkey dinner but my Daddy sure can fry fish!
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655

    Traditional Christmas in Missouri a bit different
    Being as my family is just a bunch of ole hillbillies we are having a fishfry at my sister's. My Mom just can't believe that we never want the traditional turkey dinner but my Daddy sure can fry fish!

    We will be haveing our
    We will be haveing our tradional Cuban dinner. Black beans, yellow rice, roasted chicken, plantanes (fried bannas) salad, homemade bisquets, guava cookies and flan.

    Merry Christmass everyone
    tj