What's Cooking?... Christmas Dinner/Lunch?

Options
2»

Comments

• Whoknowz
    Whoknowz Member Posts: 82
    Options
    It'll be different this year
    I had chemo yesterday and Friday - Sunday is usually the worst for me. So I'm planning soft scramnled eggs with cheese, fresh fruit, and roasted potatoes. Friends have provided several frozen casserols so if anyone needs anything heartier later they can have it.

We have a small family so our Christmas meal is usually roasted cornish game hens, Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice, green beans, sweet potatoes, and cherry cheesecake.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Kathi
    The meals sound great! Hey my Boss/Best friend was well impressed with the Dutch writing on her card (Thanks to you) she said, 'Hey this is awesome, it's perfect' I told her I got it from a friend................ Thanks jxxxxxxxxx

That is so cool!!!!!!!!
    I can help you anytime, my dear! And, mention herring or poffertjes not together...lol) and watch her eyes light up!!!!!

Hans' friend even teaches me naughty words...Hans refuses to!

Hugs, Kathi
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Options
    My family Christmas dinner will be
    Christmas Eve afternoon at 4:00. We are going to my son and DIL's house for ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, salad, rolls and pie. My daughter is excited that this is not a Hawaiian Christmas dinner with chicken long rice, pork and peas, poi, etc.
    Then open presents with them, after which they load up the car for a 45 min drive to her grandmother's place for another meal-Hawaiian traditional.
    My daughter, her boyfriend, his best friend (visiting from the mainland) will take home leftovers and snack later.
    If I'm feeling up to it (my 3rd chemo is that morning at 8:00), I will go to the 11:00 candle-light service. It will be to honor my dad as it was his favorite one to preach.
    Since I usually feel OK up for the first couple days, I'll be OK through Christmas breakfast with my daughter and then be down for the weekend.
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Options
    This year...........
    ..........my kids are doing dinner........I will just get to supervise. LOL I always doing the cooking. But I just had a complete hysterectomy, bladder tacked up and a port put in last Wed. So that takes me off the main line! The menu is a turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, veggies, pumpkin pies, (both kinds, baked and no bake yummy) and who knows what else they have up their cute little sleeves.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
    From Angle_4_James family
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    Options
    minermom said:

Primanti sandwiches!!!!
    We lived in Pittsburgh 16 years and our fav food from there are Primanti sandwiches. Two of our children and their spouses are coming and asked us to make them instead of the traditional ham and turkey. So here goes.

Start with a sheet of waxed paper. Place a thick slice of French bread on it. Now add whatever meat you'd like (my fav is Italian sausage, others like corned beef, turkey or fried eggs) covered with cheese. Now add some cole slaw, then french fries. Top it with another slice of that French bread. Slice in half with a large butcher knife and enjoy! Of course we'll serve the ever-popular pierogies as a side dish.

The kids are so worried about me overdoing that they want everything simple and I'm not complaining! They'll actually do all the cooking themselves.

Hmm, I might have to add a pot of gluwein!

Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!
    Lee Ann

that sounds soooo good I am
    that sounds soooo good I am hungry now lol Lisa
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Christmas Dinner is
    Thanksgiving Dinner Part II - Turkey breast w/stuffing, mashed taters, veggies, and maybe a pie - don't know which kind yet. Everyone's sounds so tasty I just don't know how I will manage to make it to all of your houses on Friday. LOL.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Pat
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    Options
    well its the traditional
    well its the traditional here.... turkey, home ade stuffing, mashed potatoes (with gravy) turnips, carrots, bread and butter and of course..... pumpkin pie... the next day is the best tho a nice turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce..... too bad my tastbuds have changed a bit.. but I can still remember what it tastes like.....happy holidays to my pink sisters.. my prayer for everyone is a peaceful, stressless holiday....((((hugs))) Lisa
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    tjhay said:

We will be haveing our
    We will be haveing our tradional Cuban dinner. Black beans, yellow rice, roasted chicken, plantanes (fried bannas) salad, homemade bisquets, guava cookies and flan.

Merry Christmass everyone
    tj

Ok TJ what happened to the
    Ok TJ what happened to the pernil? Now, I know you cubans make a great suckling pig for christmas. LOL Merry Christmas dear friend. Hugs, Lili
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Spanish tradition states
    Spanish tradition states that we eat seafood on Christmas Eve and meats on Christmas day. So my menu will be all kinds of seafood, from prawns, to langostinos, to octopus and I might just make lobster if I can get it tomorrow at the fish market. For Christmas Day the planned menu is a fresh ham with roasted yams, potatoes and salad. I'm not sure what to make for appetizer yet but I figure, I'll hit the supermarket tonight and see what inspires me. I didn't have time to bake this year, so I guess, I'll have to go to the bakery for christmas cookies, the portuguese bakery for custard pastries (pasteis de nata) and Wegman's for their pies. Oh boy, I have a lot of running around to do yet. LOL. Anyway, I wish each and everyone of you a blessed christmas, to our jewish sisters, I hope your Hannukkah was a peaceful and joyful one, and may the new year bring us much peace, health and most of all hope. Love to all. Hugs, Lili
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    We are having a well cooked
    We are having a well cooked turkey. I told my son "Have you heard of turkey jerky"? A can of cranberries. Stovetop. A can of cream corn. Mashed potatoes (the real kind). Apple pie from the bakery at the grocery store.

P.S. The pie didn't make it to Christmas. I knew we shouldn't have bought it ahead of time.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Normally christmas eve is my
    Normally christmas eve is my homemade sicilian pizza, Italian Sausage,shrimp, pepperoni, Italian and American cheeses, broccolli and cauliflower dipped in egg and flour and fried, olives, and pepperoncini and fresh veggie tray with dip. Christmas day morning homemade cinnamon buns, and crepes made by my husband. Its either lasagne or filet on the grill with baked potatoes and salad with blue cheese dressing for dinner. I gave up on the standing rib roast because it always came out either over cooked or under cooked. There are usually too many homemade cookies that we snack on. This year the menu is vastly different.

We celebrated Christmas this past weekend with our children and grandchildren. My daughter in law Danielle ordered chicken parmesan, stuffed shells, and mixed veggies from her Italian Deli. The homemade cookies were sent from Ohio from my dear sister in law, and a local BC survivior.

We always try to take the kids to one of the disney parks to enjoy the holiday festivities, and so we did this year as well. We went to magic Kingdom to ride Small World and Toon town roller coaster, and MGM so our beautiful granddaughter Brooke could see the Osmond family lights for the first time.

This has been one of the most stressless holidays in my memory, because I did no shopping, cooking or baking. I made it very easy for me this year because I needed to.

Merry Christmas to all of you beautful ladies and your families.
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options

Ok TJ what happened to the
    Ok TJ what happened to the pernil? Now, I know you cubans make a great suckling pig for christmas. LOL Merry Christmas dear friend. Hugs, Lili

Normaly yes, but I dont do
    Normaly yes, but I dont do pork, so instead everyone gets roasted checken, I am sure though someone will show up with some pig, they know i refuse to cook it other then what goes in the beans for flavor.
    Nice catch though
    tj
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

Spanish tradition states
    Spanish tradition states that we eat seafood on Christmas Eve and meats on Christmas day. So my menu will be all kinds of seafood, from prawns, to langostinos, to octopus and I might just make lobster if I can get it tomorrow at the fish market. For Christmas Day the planned menu is a fresh ham with roasted yams, potatoes and salad. I'm not sure what to make for appetizer yet but I figure, I'll hit the supermarket tonight and see what inspires me. I didn't have time to bake this year, so I guess, I'll have to go to the bakery for christmas cookies, the portuguese bakery for custard pastries (pasteis de nata) and Wegman's for their pies. Oh boy, I have a lot of running around to do yet. LOL. Anyway, I wish each and everyone of you a blessed christmas, to our jewish sisters, I hope your Hannukkah was a peaceful and joyful one, and may the new year bring us much peace, health and most of all hope. Love to all. Hugs, Lili

L....i....l.....i..i...i...i !
    Merry Christmas. Peace, health and hope to you, too. xoxoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Kathi
    WOW, not only do I

Kathi
    WOW, not only do I like the menu for both meals, if I crash your dinners I get to go to Holland. One of my favorite stories was Hans Brinker and The Silver Skates. I had never seen snow or ice (except at our indoor ice rink) and I just pictured the frozen canals and ice skating along with the snow falling. Your dinners both sound lovely. Enjoy your home in Holland and the holidays. And of course, Healthy New Year.

Stef

Hans Brinker!
    Stef, I can't believe it. This is one of my favorite stories. First **** and Jane, then Romper Room, now Hans Brinker....are you sure we're not the same age?!

Sorry, back to the point of this thread. Which is fun and interesting. Wish Aortus and I could join each of you. I'm baking a pumpkin pie for Joe tomorrow; we're going to Red Lobster tomorrow (hanging my head in shame and blaming it on post-treatment fatigue), and I'm baking a turkey (Reynolds oven bag recipe) on Christmas Day. Aortus wants bacon-wrapped scallops, so I'll do that sometime or other. Oh, and I will prepare creamed potatoes, not the boxed kind. My beloved mom would be horrified at one of her daughters bringing a mashed potatoes box into the house. I was forgiven for being the only one of her daughters who can't make biscuits and cornbread from scratch, but the boxed potato thing would have her and my grandmother rolling in their graves.

So, the turkey, potatoes and scallops will stretch my cooking skills to the max. My admiration for all of you skilled and tireless cooks/hostesses and cosmopolitan travelers. Please tell my husband he can't join you, that he's stuck with his wife who failed Home Ec.

My best wishes for a loving, happy holiday gathering for everyone.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Christmas Dinner at my house this year...
    At around 3:00pm...

Appetizers:

Cream Cheese with Chutney, and an Assortment of Crackers
    Mixed Nuts & Olives Selection
    Spinach Frittata (Mom to make & bring)

At around 4:00pm...

Dinner:
    Honey Baked Ham
    Scallopped Potatoes (Sister to make & bring)
    Mashed Sweet Potatoes, with a touch of Pure Maple Syrup
    Baked Rigatoni (Mom to make & bring)
    Peas with Pearl Onions
    Green Beans with Almond Slivers
    Mixed Greens Salad
    Rye Bread & Rolls
    Wine, Bottled Water, Iced Tea, Soft Drinks (i.e., soda/pop)

Dessert: (Which I will purchase at Corner Bakery early tomorrow morning...)

Cinnamon Creme Cake - my choice!
    Ice Cream & Whipped Cream
    Various Cookies
    Anything else that looks great and strikes my fancy!
    Coffee, Tea, Hot Cocoa, Hot Apple Cider, Eggnog

YUM!

Kind regards,
    Susan

P.S. to dear J: Very nice idea for this thread... Fun to read about the different traditions... xo
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Hans Brinker!
    Stef, I can't believe it. This is one of my favorite stories. First **** and Jane, then Romper Room, now Hans Brinker....are you sure we're not the same age?!

Sorry, back to the point of this thread. Which is fun and interesting. Wish Aortus and I could join each of you. I'm baking a pumpkin pie for Joe tomorrow; we're going to Red Lobster tomorrow (hanging my head in shame and blaming it on post-treatment fatigue), and I'm baking a turkey (Reynolds oven bag recipe) on Christmas Day. Aortus wants bacon-wrapped scallops, so I'll do that sometime or other. Oh, and I will prepare creamed potatoes, not the boxed kind. My beloved mom would be horrified at one of her daughters bringing a mashed potatoes box into the house. I was forgiven for being the only one of her daughters who can't make biscuits and cornbread from scratch, but the boxed potato thing would have her and my grandmother rolling in their graves.

So, the turkey, potatoes and scallops will stretch my cooking skills to the max. My admiration for all of you skilled and tireless cooks/hostesses and cosmopolitan travelers. Please tell my husband he can't join you, that he's stuck with his wife who failed Home Ec.

My best wishes for a loving, happy holiday gathering for everyone.

I think you are my secret
    I think you are my secret younger sister. And one more thing in common. I am kitchen challenged. I did a big meal for the family sometime last year and I bought the everything in a big box that the grocery sells. You have to cook it but it tells you when to start what. It had the turkey, the stuffing, the gravy, the potatoes, the veggies, the pies, the cranberry sauce. And still I was at a loss and my son in law came to my rescue. Oh, and I can't sew except hand sewing. My mom was great and my daughter learned from her. I flunked Home Ec. twice (once in jr. high) and then in high school. Good thing they weren't required to graduate or I would still be in high school. I would like to say that I make up for these shortcomings with other household skills or gardening but alas, that is not the case. But we don't starve, the house is reasonable clean, and Den likes the yard work and maintenance stuff and the store's have ready made clothing so all is good. So do we have any other matches. If we do, I am going to have to research whether there was a younger sister left on a porch somewhere. LOL
    Stef
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    PS~ well, the original post
    PS~ well, the original post still stands as far as me making crepes for breakfast for Reggies' girls, but we got to thinking, and Reggie says (and rightly so!) that WE deserve a traditional Christmas dinner as well! Even though there will just be 4 of us: Reggie, Siobhan, our friend Jim and me! So, we are having a standing rib roast, creamed spinach, yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes~ and a yummy dessert which hasn't been decided yet!

Nice nice nice...I am really happy! My Siobhan and I love to cook, and it is our gift to Reggie for being the amazing man he is. A true labor of love from us to him.

Happy Holidays, everyone!
    Chen♥