Surgery went well, so relieved!

sherria49
sherria49 Member Posts: 126
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Evidently all you prayers, hopes, & well wishes worked, I'm back ladies!! Surgery (bilateral mastectomy w/expanders & port) was Friday. All went well. Was release on Saturday. Not nearly as much pain as I had thought, although it does feel like I have a set of encyclopedias on my chest. The drain are the most painful part. Only taking pain meds to get up in the am, after laying in one spot all night, and once before bed to help me relax. Have my first post-op appt w/plastic surgeon today, then next Monday with general surgeon to get results of sentinal node biopsy.

All in all, this part was a piece of cake (mmmmmmmm) cake, I want some!!! Anyway, I'm feeling great and already bored with the tv, books, magazines, journal, etc....

Next down the road is Chemo (ugh)!!!!

Thanks again to everyone here, don't think this would have been quite as easy without everyone's support.

And to all the newbies out there reading this, pre-surgery, it's not nearly as scary as I thought. You can do it!!!

Luv you guys!!!!

Sherri
«1

Comments

  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Great News
    You doubted our prayers, thoughts and well wishes? Just kidding. Please take it easy. I am so glad it went well. But use this time for healing and letting your energy pick up. I speak from experience. Pushed too hard and hit a wall. Relax and remember how seldom in your life you can complain about boredom.
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    glad it all went well!!
    hey thats great that your surgery went well!! i have been through the same april of this year so i know what you mean bout the books on your chest but it will get better! i think to me the chemo was the toughest but with the meds they have it does wonders.
    i just finished my chemo on oct 1 2009 and im just getting back to normal.
    you will be just fine get plenty of rest and take care of yourself and keep you in my prayers!!

    glad to hear your surgery went great!!
    HUGGGSSS!!!!!!
  • Booberta
    Booberta Member Posts: 61
    Sherri
    Thanks for posting!! I'm looking at surgery in December. Hearing that it is so doable is encouraging. Hope your recovery goes well.

    Love and Peace
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    always said:

    Great News
    You doubted our prayers, thoughts and well wishes? Just kidding. Please take it easy. I am so glad it went well. But use this time for healing and letting your energy pick up. I speak from experience. Pushed too hard and hit a wall. Relax and remember how seldom in your life you can complain about boredom.

    Thanks.......
    LOL, no never doubted anyone on this site ever!!!! I'm trying to rest, and take advantage of this opportunity to be "taken care of". But it's real hard. I'm very independent and my daughter, caregiver, trooper, best friend, and my baby, is doing her best to keep me relaxed and resting!!

    Thanks again!
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    brenda247 said:

    glad it all went well!!
    hey thats great that your surgery went well!! i have been through the same april of this year so i know what you mean bout the books on your chest but it will get better! i think to me the chemo was the toughest but with the meds they have it does wonders.
    i just finished my chemo on oct 1 2009 and im just getting back to normal.
    you will be just fine get plenty of rest and take care of yourself and keep you in my prayers!!

    glad to hear your surgery went great!!
    HUGGGSSS!!!!!!

    Thanks!
    Not looking forward to the Chemo!!! But looking forward to the day I dance with NED!!

    Thanks & hugzzz to you!
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    Booberta said:

    Sherri
    Thanks for posting!! I'm looking at surgery in December. Hearing that it is so doable is encouraging. Hope your recovery goes well.

    Love and Peace

    I was scared to death.....
    but EVERYTHING was so doable!!! I don't want to overdo the easy part, because I know everyone pain threshhold is different. All is well, and thinking about getting the hair cut soon.

    Hugzzzzz
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Excellent!!! It goes without
    Excellent!!! It goes without saying that we are all so pleased that your surgery went well~ just know, "independant woman" ( as so many of us are!!) that you have to put that independance on the back burner while you heal! Allow that sweet daughter of yours to be who she needs/wants to be for you. It is not exactly fair play, or anything even close to it, but if you need a reminder, think about how you cared for her when she was a not so independant newborn. She needed you for just about everything! And today, you are newborn too; newly born to have a long, healthy Life After Cancer...act accordingly! LOL We love you! And give your daughter a hug from us too!

    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Excellent!!! It goes without
    Wow! Triple Post!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Excellent!!! It goes without
    Double Post!
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    So glad that your surgery went well
    I know what you mean by a set of encyclopedias on your chest. Thats how I felt after reconstruction/reduction. I went from a DD to a C cup. I wasn't used to having boobs on my chest where they were suppose to be. Mine were south bound in a big way. LOL

    Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    chenheart said:

    Excellent!!! It goes without
    Wow! Triple Post!

    OK Chen
    we have seen you! LOL
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Anticipation is the worst
    Anticipation is the worst part. You worry about the worse thing that can happen and usually it doesn't. Good healing.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    sherria49 said:

    I was scared to death.....
    but EVERYTHING was so doable!!! I don't want to overdo the easy part, because I know everyone pain threshhold is different. All is well, and thinking about getting the hair cut soon.

    Hugzzzzz

    Glad your surgery is over
    Glad your surgery is over and that you are home!

    Debby
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    So Happy for you
    So glad the surgery is over......that's the first "hump" in this journey.....Don't overdo, though, as someone said, you can hit a brick wall pretty fast! You've been an inspiration for those facing this surgery......the unknown is always scary....

    Chemo is doable too.......but again, it's the fear of the unknown....when you're ready to start that, there are many, many of us who can guide you through that journey...I finished chemo in August and my 33 radiation treatments just this past Friday.......it is all doable..no day at the beach, not a lot of fun, but doable....we do what we have to do! If you get a chance, read the thread I posted "It's about all of us......Beautiful" My daughter sent it to me........I think it represents all of us.....

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.
    Prayers and Peace be with you
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    MAJW said:

    So Happy for you
    So glad the surgery is over......that's the first "hump" in this journey.....Don't overdo, though, as someone said, you can hit a brick wall pretty fast! You've been an inspiration for those facing this surgery......the unknown is always scary....

    Chemo is doable too.......but again, it's the fear of the unknown....when you're ready to start that, there are many, many of us who can guide you through that journey...I finished chemo in August and my 33 radiation treatments just this past Friday.......it is all doable..no day at the beach, not a lot of fun, but doable....we do what we have to do! If you get a chance, read the thread I posted "It's about all of us......Beautiful" My daughter sent it to me........I think it represents all of us.....

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.
    Prayers and Peace be with you

    So happy that your surgery
    So happy that your surgery is done now. I pray that your recovery will be fast! Just take it easy.

    Hugs, Diane ♥
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Sherri
    I'm so glad it went well for you. You will soon be back in the swing of things. Don't worry about the chemo. After what you've been through, you can handle it.
    Pat
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    SHERRI
    Thank the Lord your surgery went so well .WOW, you had it on Friday and home on Saturday. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you have a speedy recovery!! I find out Thursday when my surgery will be!! Hugs, Diane
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    MAJW said:

    So Happy for you
    So glad the surgery is over......that's the first "hump" in this journey.....Don't overdo, though, as someone said, you can hit a brick wall pretty fast! You've been an inspiration for those facing this surgery......the unknown is always scary....

    Chemo is doable too.......but again, it's the fear of the unknown....when you're ready to start that, there are many, many of us who can guide you through that journey...I finished chemo in August and my 33 radiation treatments just this past Friday.......it is all doable..no day at the beach, not a lot of fun, but doable....we do what we have to do! If you get a chance, read the thread I posted "It's about all of us......Beautiful" My daughter sent it to me........I think it represents all of us.....

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.
    Prayers and Peace be with you

    Thank you!!
    Yes, even family, friend, & coworkers aren't letting me do much of anything!! Did go for a short walk yesterday! It was so beautiful here in Columbia!!

    I did read your "It's all about us" and it is beautiful!!!

    Hugzzzzzzzzz
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    DianeBC said:

    So happy that your surgery
    So happy that your surgery is done now. I pray that your recovery will be fast! Just take it easy.

    Hugs, Diane ♥

    Thanks Diane!
    I am really trying to remember that I just had major surgery!! It is such a relief!!

    Hugzzzzzzzz
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    chickad52 said:

    SHERRI
    Thank the Lord your surgery went so well .WOW, you had it on Friday and home on Saturday. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you have a speedy recovery!! I find out Thursday when my surgery will be!! Hugs, Diane

    Thanks, Sherri
    On behalf of all of us still facing surgery, thanks for letting us know how well your surgery went. Can't believe you were only in hospital one day. Take a rest, you deserve it and let us see your new hairdo soon.