First timer

2»

Comments

• marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Welcome to this site. It has
    Welcome to this site. It has been so informative and helpful for me. I do not have to take chemo but just wanted to let you know I will be thinking about you and hope your first treatment goes well. It is sometimes hard to put on that happy face for your loved ones. This is your time. Do what is best for you and take good care of yourself. Marilyn
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi hopeful
    I had the same chemo cocktail as you and just finished the taxol last friday. The port is really a great thing, at least it has been for me. YOu may want to take some gum along with you. When they flush it with saline you get a kind of odor/taste in the mouth and the gum helps with that. Also I use emla cream which I put over the port site about 1 hour before they access it which numbs the area.

The adriamycin/cytoxan is not easy. They usually gave me meds iv for the nausea and I was given oral meds for nausea to take on days 2 and 3. Usually on day 3 I felt like I had morning sickness but I found that if I made myself eat about 1 time per hour, something small that it helped. I also kept track of how much I drank making sure I got about 10 8oz glasses of fluids per day. I was tired out and the appetite wasnt great until about 1 wk later then I started feeling like myself. I managed to work about 25 hours per week during the first wk, then almost full time during the second.

The taxol/herceptin is much easier. It doesnt seem to make you nauseated or affect the appetite but it makes you achy. This is from the taxol. Also the infusion takes longer. I wonder if its because of more chance of allergic reaction so they run it slower. Ask your doctor for allegra or claritin for the achiness if ibuprofen doesnt help. The allegra helps me. I still feel achy but its manageable.

As far as I know, no side effects from the herceptin though the meds are all hard on the heart. It is routine to have a muga scan to check your heart function while you are on the med. I have managed to work 71 hours out of 80 in the past 2 wks on taxol/herceptin and now that I am done with the taxol I dont expect it to affect my work schedule at all.

You will lose your hair and I have also lost my eyebrows and I expect my eyelashes to go next. Its hard, but what can you do??? My biggest piece of advice is to exercise. Make yourself get off the couch and walk as much as you can. I do yoga every night and walk the dog about 2 miles per night and it will help with the fatigue. Yoga will strengthen your legs and give you more energy believe it or not.

Most of all, remember that we are here to help you get thru this. This is a very difficult thing to go thru and I believe this diagnosis changes you forever...and not always in a bad way. There are some good things that can come out of this. But dont be afraid to cry and vent...remember sometimes sleepless nights happen, anxiety happens, depression happens but someone is always here and your doctor is a phone call away to help with an antidepressant or antianxiety med if needed.

Gentle hugs to you

Linda t

Linda. I had my first chemo
    Linda. I had my first chemo 10/6, same cocktail adriamycin/cytoxan. Couldnt sleep the first nite, developed nausea on 10/8. Got the neulasta shot on 10/7. I'm so impressed that you worked. Yesterday, I decided I would rethink working after my 3rd chemo. I work for a dentist/perio surgeon and manage the insurance, scheduling and treatment plans. My onc feels its better that I stay away from work for now due to exposure. I'm 66 will be 67 in January, have been on antiobiotics since last surgery of 8/14. Had blood drawn yesterday, and my white count it very low as is my energy. I'm a people person, but will stay close to home, for fear of getting a cold or flu. I've really come to rely on these boards for inspiration, information, and interaction. I so appreciate everyone here, and will say a prayer for Hopeful today.
  • cheyennedawn
    cheyennedawn Member Posts: 70
    Welcome Hopeful!
    We are glad you are here, although sorry that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I know how very scared you are, but you will get through this. I didn't have to have chemo or radiation, but I had to have a mastectomy in August. Sorry, I can't offer any advice to you about chemo, but you will meet plenty of other women here that have, and they will be able to help you. It is hard to admit to your family that you are scared, because you feel you need to be strong for them, but when you are here, you can express anthing, everyong will understand, and have been there at some point. We are all here for you.

Take care,
    Cheyenne
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Day of chemo isn't bad
    I received first chemo last week Monday, Cytoxan and Taxotere, and had no effects the day of chemo. I went in with no fear. I knew it had to be. The Neulasta shot made me achy. The next 6 days were rough for me, like bad flu. No vomiting or nausea, just stomach cramps, body aches, fatigue. By the next Monday, I was back at work. Now I know what to expect next time. Hope you sail through.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Hopeful
    Every single one of us here know how scared you are and how you are feeling. Of course you are. Its totally normal to feel that way. I was so scared with my first chemo too. I just finished with my last treatment last week. I was on AC and the worst part about my first treatment was them having to stick me 6 times because i didnt have my port yet. They gave me steriods and anti nausea meds before my actual chemo meds and that helped. They also sent me home with nausea meds and steroids. Make sure you take the nausea meds even if you dont feel sick afterwards to keep the nausea away. Drink lots of water too. Maybe you should or could let your family know how scared you really are and that could help you. Its ok to be scared. You sound like you have a good support system in them and i bet they would help you if you shared how scared you are. The treatments i guess depending on what you get, while you get them arent bad while they are going in. It really surprised me at how easy it was. You take care and good luck. Keep us posted. Try to share with your family.

laura
  • mary957
    mary957 Member Posts: 1
    scared in pa.
    Like you this is my first of everything you mentioned. I have had my mastectomy,my onco type DX test,which was 34,my breast doctor avised me that with that score that ther would be a 40% chance that the cancer would come back.and only 12% if i did chemo along with hormone therapy. Now I am going to my oncologist on the 20th of this month for the first time.And I am scared as hell!!!,I don't know what my regement will be or how long.I am er+ pr+ hers= if anybody out there can relate Please be my guest.
  • hopeful2009
    hopeful2009 Member Posts: 13
    Alexis F said:

Hi Dawn. Just want to
    Hi Dawn. Just want to welcome you to the site and to wish you good luck!

Lex♥

Hi Lex,
    thank you very

Hi Lex,

thank you very much, I already feel like a part of this wonderful family out here!

Dawn
  • hopeful2009
    mimivac said:

Hi Hopeful,
    It's OK to be scared and not want to admit it. Of course we are scared our first time doing chemo. The fear of the unknown is often much worse than the actual thing feared. I can attest that this was true for my first chemo treatment. The night before, I had to take steroids, which made me pretty hyper. So, I went out to eat with my husband and just talked and talked and talked. I am usually pretty gregarious, but the steriods really ramped it up. In retrospect, I think this was good. It kept me from ruminating on what would be happening the next day. This is what I would recommend for you this evening. Don't sit around thinking dark thoughts, if possible. Go out, do something, stay with the moment. You will probably find that it is not as bad as you imagined. I did, and I was doing 3 different chemo drugs at once. Once you start, you're that much closer to the finish line. Good luck. You will be fine.

Mimi

Good evening Mimi,
    thank

Good evening Mimi,

thank you for sharing. Why were you given steroids? Just curious. I did call the Dr's office today and have them give me a script for the Emla cream. That alone made me feel a little more comfortable.

I could defintely understand you not working with your position at work. Luckily for me I can hide out in my office and not deal to much with the guest. However if I'm not feeling wel when I wake up in the morning I have promised everyone that I will stay home. I guess it will just be something I will need to judge each day.

I reread the last line in your email and it is so true. I will hold on to those words.
    "Once you start, you're that much closer to the finish line."
    Huggs Dawn
  • hopeful2009

Welcome to this site. It has
    Welcome to this site. It has been so informative and helpful for me. I do not have to take chemo but just wanted to let you know I will be thinking about you and hope your first treatment goes well. It is sometimes hard to put on that happy face for your loved ones. This is your time. Do what is best for you and take good care of yourself. Marilyn

Thank you for your response
    Thank you for your response Mailyn,

I will try and be more honest with them.

Dawn
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Welcome, Dawn
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Of course you're scared. Cancer is a very frightening, complicated, and dangerous disease. However, whenever you're here - on the board - always remember that you are amongst survivors: 6+ years for me, and there are members who count their own survivorship into decades.

It's absolutely wonderful that you've got loving family around you. Yet, only those who walk in these shoes can truly understand the journey. Which is one of many reasons why we're all here.

Best wishes to you. Visit often. The board is always open, 24/7, each and every day.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Hi. Sorry about your
    Hi. Sorry about your diagnosis. Chemo is not a picnic but it is definitely doable. I had ACT(4 AC) (4T). I found the AC to be difficult but the T(taxol) was not too bad. Some suggestions would be: Try and have someone w/you for company for treatments, drink lots of fluids that day and 2 days after, eat only small lite foods to avoid vomitting for 1st couple days,have stuff to keep you busy in case you don't feel up to going places for the 1st couple days. I liked to watch tv, read magazines and nap. My doc prescribed several nausea meds that I alternated every 3 hours for the first 3 days and 3 for the next 2 days. These worked well unless I forgot and ate something heavy which made me vomit.

You can do this! It was not as scary as I had imagined it might be. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Eil4186 said:

Hi. Sorry about your
    Hi. Sorry about your diagnosis. Chemo is not a picnic but it is definitely doable. I had ACT(4 AC) (4T). I found the AC to be difficult but the T(taxol) was not too bad. Some suggestions would be: Try and have someone w/you for company for treatments, drink lots of fluids that day and 2 days after, eat only small lite foods to avoid vomitting for 1st couple days,have stuff to keep you busy in case you don't feel up to going places for the 1st couple days. I liked to watch tv, read magazines and nap. My doc prescribed several nausea meds that I alternated every 3 hours for the first 3 days and 3 for the next 2 days. These worked well unless I forgot and ate something heavy which made me vomit.

You can do this! It was not as scary as I had imagined it might be. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Dawn
    Just wanted to say Good Luck tomorrow! You can do this! Remember: One step closer! :-)
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Welcome Dawn
    Good luck tomorrow - my youngest daughter (23) and husband were with me for my 1st chemo. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had A/C first - 4 rounds and then taxol for 4 rounds. I did feel rotten on the A/C but I took all the meds they gave me for nausea and kept eating and did ok. The taxol was much better - aches & pains but totally different.
    It's good to talk with your family & friends - they want to be there for you and you'll find you'll need to be there for them as well - just be as honest and open as you can - it's ok to cry and be depressed - this is not easy. Cancer is scarey as hell! But, you will beat it - we are all here for you - take care and let us know how you're doing!
    I'll keep you in my prayers!
    -Jenny
  • Grains
    Grains Member Posts: 27
    Hopeful,
    I understand how

Hopeful,
    I understand how scared you are. I had chemo in 2003 and now I have breast cancer again in the other breast and could possibly have chemo again. The thing that scared me the most was not knowing what was going to happen. The info I got said so many things could happen. I really was scared too. However, my experience was very moderate. The nurses who gave it to me were very positive and they gave me medication for nausea and other meds as well. I felt very tired and kinda like I was coming down with the common (not swine) flu, most of the time. I just hung in there and counted each one down until I was done. I hope you will get off this easy, too. I did have a few minor things like sore mouth and loss of appetite, but it wasn't really horrible. Just be kind to yourself, get lots of rest, read uplifting books, listen to good music, listen to friends and loved ones when they say how wonderful you are and keep praying. I hope this helps you.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Grains said:

Hopeful,
    I understand how

Hopeful,
    I understand how scared you are. I had chemo in 2003 and now I have breast cancer again in the other breast and could possibly have chemo again. The thing that scared me the most was not knowing what was going to happen. The info I got said so many things could happen. I really was scared too. However, my experience was very moderate. The nurses who gave it to me were very positive and they gave me medication for nausea and other meds as well. I felt very tired and kinda like I was coming down with the common (not swine) flu, most of the time. I just hung in there and counted each one down until I was done. I hope you will get off this easy, too. I did have a few minor things like sore mouth and loss of appetite, but it wasn't really horrible. Just be kind to yourself, get lots of rest, read uplifting books, listen to good music, listen to friends and loved ones when they say how wonderful you are and keep praying. I hope this helps you.

I can't belive we are all getting the same thing....
    Obviously weren't not. Everyone's experience is so different. After my first chemo on Friday the nurse said she wished everyone would have a port. It makes it so easy. The first thing my onc did was give me an Rx for Emla to help numbe the skin over the port.They hung a huge bag of Atavan first, second a four day shot against nausea and then started on the actual chemo. I couldn't belive how relaxed and comfortable I was. But I walked in the office a big "melt-down" case. Don't be afraid to tell your family how scared you are...this is scary stuff. I'm not trying to win any competetions for being brave....I'm a big old woos! My family and husband have been the greatest thru all of this. It's ok to be afraid. If you can't be real with your hubby, who can you be real with? He's there for you, lean on him.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome
    hopeful!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Skeezie said:

I can't belive we are all getting the same thing....
    Obviously weren't not. Everyone's experience is so different. After my first chemo on Friday the nurse said she wished everyone would have a port. It makes it so easy. The first thing my onc did was give me an Rx for Emla to help numbe the skin over the port.They hung a huge bag of Atavan first, second a four day shot against nausea and then started on the actual chemo. I couldn't belive how relaxed and comfortable I was. But I walked in the office a big "melt-down" case. Don't be afraid to tell your family how scared you are...this is scary stuff. I'm not trying to win any competetions for being brave....I'm a big old woos! My family and husband have been the greatest thru all of this. It's ok to be afraid. If you can't be real with your hubby, who can you be real with? He's there for you, lean on him.

Welcome Dawn to the board!
    Welcome Dawn to the board! Sorry for the reason you are here, but, you will find so many supportive, kind bc survivors here to help you.

Leeza
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Welcome. This is a
    Welcome. This is a wonderful community you have joined. You will get a wealth of information and tremendous support. I wish you well on your journey. Now that you are not alone. We understand your fear and concern. We are there for you. Best of luck!

Bella Luna