Found Lump

Options

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

On to the next step
    Hi ladies! Had my ultrasound today and wish I had more exciting news to report. It's definitely not a cyst and they are recommending that I do either a needle biopsy or a surgical biopsy and just remove the lump while they're at it. What do you guys recommend? My knee jerk reaction is to say "heck with it, go in there and get it."

Have you consulted with a surgeon?
    Hi, buddrfly -

Is the recommendation coming from the radiologist or a surgeon? If you haven't met with a surgeon yet, I highly recommend you do befoe making your decision.

The only problem with dong a surgical biopsy (also called an excisional biopsy) right off the bat is that, if it does come back positive, you'll likely have to go back again for a 2nd surgery to biopsy the lymph nodes (called a sentinel node biopsy).

I had a core needle biopsy to determine whether it was cancer (which it was), then was in surgery only 1 time, for the lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy at the same time.

I can see the pros and cons of both ways (and there are women on this board who had them done in separate surgeries) -- I just really recommend that you speak with a surgeon about both options.

Traci
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Support
    Hi,first of all I am sorry to hear that you found a lump.I pray it is ok and no cancer.I had the biopsy the same day as surgery.I would have someone with me for support.And it is ok to be scared,we all were and still am.You have came to the right web sight .These ladys are our friends.we will help with any questions,their is always someone who has been through it or going through the same things.keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.when is your appointment?Take care and god bless you.(Pat).
  • buddrfly11
    buddrfly11 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Have you consulted with a surgeon?
    Hi, buddrfly -

Is the recommendation coming from the radiologist or a surgeon? If you haven't met with a surgeon yet, I highly recommend you do befoe making your decision.

The only problem with dong a surgical biopsy (also called an excisional biopsy) right off the bat is that, if it does come back positive, you'll likely have to go back again for a 2nd surgery to biopsy the lymph nodes (called a sentinel node biopsy).

I had a core needle biopsy to determine whether it was cancer (which it was), then was in surgery only 1 time, for the lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy at the same time.

I can see the pros and cons of both ways (and there are women on this board who had them done in separate surgeries) -- I just really recommend that you speak with a surgeon about both options.

Traci

Hi Traci! I should be
    Hi Traci! I should be speaking with the surgeon this week. I'm just at that stage where my mind is going a million places and a hundred miles a minute and curious to see what experiences everyone else has had.
  • TraciInLA
    Options

Hi Traci! I should be
    Hi Traci! I should be speaking with the surgeon this week. I'm just at that stage where my mind is going a million places and a hundred miles a minute and curious to see what experiences everyone else has had.

Only a hundred miles a minute?
    ...I think mine was going at least a thousand miles a minute before my biopsies! :-)

My goodness, of course your mind is everywhere right now -- I looked back at my post to you, and I hope I wasn't getting into too much for you at this stage. The last thing I would ever want to do is make things *more* overwhelming for you.

I'm a big proponent of meeting with all the relevant medical professionals sooner rather than later, so I'm very glad to hear you'll be getting a surgeon's opinion -- even if you end up never needing a surgeon!

Please keep us posted on what you decide and how things go for you -- and know that I'm keeping good thoughts for you.

Traci
  • buddrfly11
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

...I think mine was going at least a thousand miles a minute before my biopsies! :-)

My goodness, of course your mind is everywhere right now -- I looked back at my post to you, and I hope I wasn't getting into too much for you at this stage. The last thing I would ever want to do is make things *more* overwhelming for you.

I'm a big proponent of meeting with all the relevant medical professionals sooner rather than later, so I'm very glad to hear you'll be getting a surgeon's opinion -- even if you end up never needing a surgeon!

Please keep us posted on what you decide and how things go for you -- and know that I'm keeping good thoughts for you.

Traci

Thanks Traci!

Thanks Traci!
  • buddrfly11
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Thanks Traci! And no, you
    Thanks Traci! And no, you definitely were not overwhelming!!! I am so thankful for everyone's input! It's so good to hear all sides and all aspects and all experiences!
  • kathyrcady
    kathyrcady Member Posts: 27
    Options
    biopsy
    Dear buddrfly11, Im sorry you are going through this stressfull time. I recently had a needle biopsy and just wanted to tell you , I drove myself home afterwords. My radiologist had me apply ice on the sight for 20 min. every 2 hours 4 times. I dont like to tell people how it feels because everyone is different regarding pain. I will tell you, I only felt a little sting when they injected the lidocaine, and after that the worse part is hanging your arm over your head to keep it out of the way.It took about 5 min. for the biopsy, after they locate the area of concern with ultrasound. It took me 4 days to get the results back. Good luck to you, Kathy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

biopsy
    Dear buddrfly11, Im sorry you are going through this stressfull time. I recently had a needle biopsy and just wanted to tell you , I drove myself home afterwords. My radiologist had me apply ice on the sight for 20 min. every 2 hours 4 times. I dont like to tell people how it feels because everyone is different regarding pain. I will tell you, I only felt a little sting when they injected the lidocaine, and after that the worse part is hanging your arm over your head to keep it out of the way.It took about 5 min. for the biopsy, after they locate the area of concern with ultrasound. It took me 4 days to get the results back. Good luck to you, Kathy

Welcome
    Hi and Welcome! I pray that your lump will benign. I know this is very stressful for you, but, you have been given some good info from so many here. Post and let us know how you do.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • buddrfly11
    Options
    Still no news from my doctor
    Still no news from my doctor after my ultrasound on Monday. I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs "don't you know how scared I am?!?!?!?!?!?" Of course I know that would definitely not help the situation at all ;-) I keep praying for patience, but am realizing this is how it's taught.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options

Still no news from my doctor
    Still no news from my doctor after my ultrasound on Monday. I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs "don't you know how scared I am?!?!?!?!?!?" Of course I know that would definitely not help the situation at all ;-) I keep praying for patience, but am realizing this is how it's taught.

Call Him!
    Buddrlfly,

Call his office! They should know by now ... they actually should have known something when they did the procedure. I don't think they have any idea what we go through while we're waiting. You have every right to know NOW!

Call his office!!

And keep us posted! :)

big hug,
    dh
  • buddrfly11
    Options

Call Him!
    Buddrlfly,

Call his office! They should know by now ... they actually should have known something when they did the procedure. I don't think they have any idea what we go through while we're waiting. You have every right to know NOW!

Call his office!!

And keep us posted! :)

big hug,
    dh

We actually know as much as
    We actually know as much as we can from the ultrasound. Now I'm waiting for the report to make the loooooooooooong journey down the hall from radiology to my primary care physician so they can refer me to surgery. I did call and leave a message with the nurse. I am so thankful and blessed to have free healthcare through the military but find myself from time to time rolling my eyes and saying "humph, the stinkin' military."
  • buddrfly11
    Options
    Venting time
    So I've been sitting by the phone like a 16 year old girl who's waiting to hear from the boy she likes. I went out about five minutes ago to check the mail and there's a letter . . . yes a good old letter delivered by the United States Postal Service telling me that my mammography displayed an abnormality and giving me the phone number of the oncologist nurse to call to set up an appointment. I feel like yelling "no shi!$ sherlock, an abnormality, really?!?!? Already knew this one . . . couldn't have given me the number when you were telling me this in your office?" So of course the office is closed and the waiting game continues . . .
    Although I forgot to mention this humorous experience from my ultrasound/mammogram on Monday. I walked into the office and there was a huge banner (in honor of breast cancer awareness month) that read "Welcome to Mammoland" That tickled my funny bone the rest of the day. When I asked the tech about it she just rolled her eyes ;-)
  • buddrfly11
    Options

Venting time
    So I've been sitting by the phone like a 16 year old girl who's waiting to hear from the boy she likes. I went out about five minutes ago to check the mail and there's a letter . . . yes a good old letter delivered by the United States Postal Service telling me that my mammography displayed an abnormality and giving me the phone number of the oncologist nurse to call to set up an appointment. I feel like yelling "no shi!$ sherlock, an abnormality, really?!?!? Already knew this one . . . couldn't have given me the number when you were telling me this in your office?" So of course the office is closed and the waiting game continues . . .
    Although I forgot to mention this humorous experience from my ultrasound/mammogram on Monday. I walked into the office and there was a huge banner (in honor of breast cancer awareness month) that read "Welcome to Mammoland" That tickled my funny bone the rest of the day. When I asked the tech about it she just rolled her eyes ;-)

I just got off my phone with
    I just got off my phone with my doctor and I finally got someone to read the findings of my ultrasound/mammogram to me. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago and she has been AMAZING! It looks like from the ultrasound that we are looking at cancer. Of course, the chances that it could still be benign are relatively high, but still not looking that good. She's recommending an excisional biopsy and also lymph node biopsy. So . . . that's where we're at.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

I just got off my phone with
    I just got off my phone with my doctor and I finally got someone to read the findings of my ultrasound/mammogram to me. Her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years ago and she has been AMAZING! It looks like from the ultrasound that we are looking at cancer. Of course, the chances that it could still be benign are relatively high, but still not looking that good. She's recommending an excisional biopsy and also lymph node biopsy. So . . . that's where we're at.

Well, that part of the wait
    Well, that part of the wait is over. Wish it had been better news. But the biopsy and lymph node biopsy will tell the tale and then you will know more. If it is a cancer, you will know the stage, grade, ER PR and Her. And you can go from there. Try (and I know this is way easier said than done) not to worry too much. I always go into these things with the attitude that I won't borrow trouble. We are all here for you every step of the way. Chances are that whatever you will do someone has done before and can help ease the way.
    Prayers that this turns out to be in that benign percentage.
    Stef
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    fauxma said:

Well, that part of the wait
    Well, that part of the wait is over. Wish it had been better news. But the biopsy and lymph node biopsy will tell the tale and then you will know more. If it is a cancer, you will know the stage, grade, ER PR and Her. And you can go from there. Try (and I know this is way easier said than done) not to worry too much. I always go into these things with the attitude that I won't borrow trouble. We are all here for you every step of the way. Chances are that whatever you will do someone has done before and can help ease the way.
    Prayers that this turns out to be in that benign percentage.
    Stef

Not the news you wanted to hear
    but it isn't a done deal yet. I'm agreeing with Steph that it turns out to be in the benign percentage. Know that you're in the worst part right now ... the waiting. Have they scheduled the procedure yet? Keep us posted!

dh
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Options

Not the news you wanted to hear
    but it isn't a done deal yet. I'm agreeing with Steph that it turns out to be in the benign percentage. Know that you're in the worst part right now ... the waiting. Have they scheduled the procedure yet? Keep us posted!

dh

welcome
    Hi Buddrfly11

Like everyone I am sorry you find yourself needing this site. I wanted to say hi and let you know you have found an incredible support group here. The women on this site are amazing. The waits in every step of this process are rough. Keep positive thoughts and don't forget to just breath every now and then. I will be keeping you in my prayers and sending lots of patience vibes your way.

always (aka Becky)
  • buddrfly11
    Options
    I was telling my husband how
    I was telling my husband how amazing everyone has been and how supportive and we decided it's like the best sorority in the world with the most amazing women as members -- but no one wants to join. Thank you all for your encouragement, love, prayers and support. My consultation with the surgeon is on Tuesday so I am ever so thankful for how quickly they were able to get me in (and as I so "beautifully" demonstrated earlier, patience is definitely not one of my virtues!). As of right now, they rated the lesion as Bi-rad level IV. Definitely clinging to the possibility that it is benign!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options

On to the next step
    Hi ladies! Had my ultrasound today and wish I had more exciting news to report. It's definitely not a cyst and they are recommending that I do either a needle biopsy or a surgical biopsy and just remove the lump while they're at it. What do you guys recommend? My knee jerk reaction is to say "heck with it, go in there and get it."

Hi Buddrfly -
    Welcome! I had a needle biopsy the first time. I hate to say it, but while it was being done it hurt a little. The machine would make this funny noise and I'd wait for the burning feeling which only lasted a second or two. Then it would be fine until I'd hear that funny noise and boing - again. I had a friend drive me because I wasn't sure. I was fine afterwards, nothing but a little bandage and it was over. The second time I found a lump, the surgeon went in and took it out. The first was cancer, the second wasn't. So all i have on the one side is a little scar line. The right one had the lumpectomy, so she's a little warped. I will keep praying for you that it is nothing, but if it is - we are all here to be your cyber sisters and help you on your journey.
    Hugs - Pat
  • TraciInLA
    Options

I was telling my husband how
    I was telling my husband how amazing everyone has been and how supportive and we decided it's like the best sorority in the world with the most amazing women as members -- but no one wants to join. Thank you all for your encouragement, love, prayers and support. My consultation with the surgeon is on Tuesday so I am ever so thankful for how quickly they were able to get me in (and as I so "beautifully" demonstrated earlier, patience is definitely not one of my virtues!). As of right now, they rated the lesion as Bi-rad level IV. Definitely clinging to the possibility that it is benign!

Keep us posted, buddrfly
    I'm very glad that you'll be seeing the surgeon so quickly -- in this journey, it always makes me feel better when I'm moving forward, even if with little baby steps and tripping over things along the way! :-)

Please keep us posted, and ask any questions you have -- many of us here have recently had excisional biopsies, lumpectomies and/or sentinel node biopsies, and are glad to share our experiences.

Traci
  • buddrfly11
    Options
    Moving along nicely
    Well, I had my consult with the surgeon on Tuesday. He suggested doing a needle biopsy w/ultrasound and regardless of the results, removing the mass. I am completely on board with him. My needle biopsy is Monday the 2nd. I spoke with the oncology/breast health nurse yesterday and she scheduled an appointment for me to go over the pathology results on the 10th (Veterans' Day and two training days which Base Medical will be closed for are putting everything about three days behind). She also told me that unless it is immediately life threatening, which they are suspecting by the size that it is not, I will not hear from them either way (in regards to the results) until my appointment on the tenth. She said they found that it relieved a lot of patients' anxiety not to be waiting around the phone with the thoughts of "well they haven't called yet, that must be good news . . . but what if they're waiting to see me face to face and that's why they haven't called 'cause it's bad news . . . etc." So all in all I am very happy with this tactic. On November 10th I will know!!!!! It's nice to have a firm date and it's only a little less than two weeks away!