2»

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    fauxma said:

Jeanne,I am so glad you
    Jeanne,
    I am so glad you told Mimi that. I have been thinking that about her for a long time. She is always here with support, information, humor and to ask us about our weekends, our goals and our lives outside cancer.
    And while we are passing out compliments, Jeanne, you are also a very kind, supportive lady. You always use your banners and falling hearts etc. to brighten your messages of support and congratulations. And you always have an upbeat message. I told you once you remind me physically of a good friend and you are very like her in manner as well.
    So Mimi and Jeanne this is my upfront and personal thank you to you both. You brighten my day.
    Maybe we should have an ATTA BOY topic to tip our hats to someone who has been especially helpful or caring. There are many, many wonderful ladies and gents here and it is nice to occasionally tell someone what they mean to us. And tt doesn't mean that we don't also love and appreciate all on the board just that sometimes someone does something special or grabs our personal attention. Just a thought.
    Stef

Stef ♥

Now I am the one blushing and also have a few tears running down my face. But, good tears, happy tears. Thank you Stef for your precious, sincere, beautiful words. But, you are such a beautiful woman and have such a beautiful spirit, what else would come from you.

I tip my hat to you too Stef. Whenever I read your comments to a bc survivor on here, no matter what the subject is, what you write has such a calming effect. Your writing is so full of good and useful information and your own life experience. I always felt honored if you replied to anything that I wrote.

So, thank you Stef, for being what I call..............My Friend!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
    OK, you can receive SSDI if you have a severe disability that renders you unable to work for more than a certain dollar amount per month (in 2009 I think it is $980 per month). The disability must have lasted or be expected to last at least a year. There are other more complicated requirements, but those are the basics. The main point is that you must be too disabled to work.

Depending on your state, you could also qualify for state public disability benefits that are much easier to qualify for. New York, California, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Rhode Island (as well as Puerto Rico) offer these benefits. You could also get disability through your employer, so check into that, too.

Also you could apply for Supplemental Security Income, which has the same disability requirements as SSDI, but is need-based (you don't have to be insured like for SSDI). Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Mimi

I hope you didn't mind Mimi
    I hope you didn't mind Mimi that I said that you worked for SS and could help everyone. You are great to do this!

HUGS
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Long Term Disability no premiums
    Hi everyone,
    Yes Deb is correct you have to continue pay premiums while on Short Term Disability (STD) provided by your Employer. Amount usually depends on year of service and can go up to 100% of your salary. HR is the source to answer STD questions. When you exceed your STD benefits and still are not able to work, you can apply for Long Term Disability benefits (LTD). If you granted LTD you will pay no premiums and your income will be from 40 to 70% of your salary, which depends on your policy.

I was on STD in 2000 while
    I was on STD in 2000 while working at a Nursing home. I had neurosurgery on my upper back, cervical laminectomy was what they called it, a 10 hour surgery! Anyways, I needed a Dr.s note every 30 days to keep extending it. So I got them at my monthly follow-up visits. My Dr. wanted me to take the full 90 days for recovery. My surgery ws May 11th, I had to be back to work by Aug 13th. they took my Health Insurance co-pay out of my partial check I got. Where I worked they didn't offer LTD. While I was still there we had a co-worker who was out with cancer, she had a milignant tumor in her thigh, so they asked us to help her out by giving up a PTO day to her. I opted to write a check for her of 200.00, so she got that from me tax-free. I'm sorry to say my good friend and co-worker passed away this past June, the cancer mestastisized to her brain. She was a lovely Christian woman, she was ready to meet her Lord.
    Anyway, I'm sory, I got off the beaten track. I know a guy from the Gym I go to who's been on disibility for YEARS! He was somehow able to get it from back injuries originally from his job,actually he lifted more weight in steel bars than he was supposed to, so he ws out for awhile for that, then he was in a few car accidents, sued the people who ran into the back of his car. He gets about 1,000 a month disability. His wife still works, so he is on her policy. He said if not being on hers, they would take it from his disability check.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Stef ♥

Now I am the one blushing and also have a few tears running down my face. But, good tears, happy tears. Thank you Stef for your precious, sincere, beautiful words. But, you are such a beautiful woman and have such a beautiful spirit, what else would come from you.

I tip my hat to you too Stef. Whenever I read your comments to a bc survivor on here, no matter what the subject is, what you write has such a calming effect. Your writing is so full of good and useful information and your own life experience. I always felt honored if you replied to anything that I wrote.

So, thank you Stef, for being what I call..............My Friend!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Let's hear it for Jeanne and Stef!
    It's people like you that keep all of us sane. Opening up a message and seeing your replies is reassuring for me, and, I know, for many others here as well. I love that there are friends on this site, accessible at any time with the click of a mouse. :). If I could do those dropping hearts that Jeanne does, I would do them now!

Mimi
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I hope you didn't mind Mimi that I said that you worked for SS and could help everyone. You are great to do this!

HUGS

MimiVac --
    Wonderful thread, and thank you for the detailed information.

VickiSam
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

HUGS

No problem
    I am glad to help. Just so everyone knows: I don't work directly with the public taking claims, so I am not an expert on all the complicated social security rules (but I can look them up). My area is policy research, and I spend most of my day reading, writing, and researching. I wish everyone luck and ease.

Mimi
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    mimivac said:

No problem
    I am glad to help. Just so everyone knows: I don't work directly with the public taking claims, so I am not an expert on all the complicated social security rules (but I can look them up). My area is policy research, and I spend most of my day reading, writing, and researching. I wish everyone luck and ease.

Mimi

Mimi
    You are so sweet to help everyone that asked questions on here. I can see why you got the big compliments. You are a doll!

Angie
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    mimivac said:

No problem

Mimi

Mimi
    Like your weekend and Monday posts, it seems you're onto something here! Bless your heart for being kind enough to help all these people with their struggles during recovery! You are an amazing woman and I only hope that someday I too can give something back from what I've learned throughout this journey! Thank You for being you and always being there to help!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

Let's hear it for Jeanne and Stef!
    It's people like you that keep all of us sane. Opening up a message and seeing your replies is reassuring for me, and, I know, for many others here as well. I love that there are friends on this site, accessible at any time with the click of a mouse. :). If I could do those dropping hearts that Jeanne does, I would do them now!

Mimi

Jeanne and Mimi,
    Thank you

Jeanne and Mimi,
    Thank you both for the kind words. I love our site and the support we give one another. I even like that we occasionally squabble. Just like a real family. But most of all I love that we support one another and care, sincerely care, for each other. I don't always post to comments because I was one of the fortunate ones that did not need chemo and my radiation was vey doable, little burning, mild tired etc. I also truly don't borrow troubles. I try to focus on what it at hand and what I need to do to get through it positively. This sometimes fails but then I come here and get advise or read what others have or are doing to cope and I use what I feel will work and respect the rest.
    There are so many on the board that it is hard to acknowledge all that I have received help, encouragement or just admiration for. You and Jeanne are two of these. Claudia, Tasha, Moopy, Aortus, Christmas Girl, Nicole (even when we disagreed) are others that have lifted my spirits. And there are so many more of you. All of you in some form or other have written comments that have helped me. Even if it was to count my blessings that I have not had to walk such a difficult path as they have.
    I truly love my board friends, my little family of, as Claudia would say, Kindred Spirits.
    Love to you all and may NED dance with you all,
    Stef
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    fauxma said:

Jeanne and Mimi,
    Thank you

Jeanne and Mimi,
    Thank you both for the kind words. I love our site and the support we give one another. I even like that we occasionally squabble. Just like a real family. But most of all I love that we support one another and care, sincerely care, for each other. I don't always post to comments because I was one of the fortunate ones that did not need chemo and my radiation was vey doable, little burning, mild tired etc. I also truly don't borrow troubles. I try to focus on what it at hand and what I need to do to get through it positively. This sometimes fails but then I come here and get advise or read what others have or are doing to cope and I use what I feel will work and respect the rest.
    There are so many on the board that it is hard to acknowledge all that I have received help, encouragement or just admiration for. You and Jeanne are two of these. Claudia, Tasha, Moopy, Aortus, Christmas Girl, Nicole (even when we disagreed) are others that have lifted my spirits. And there are so many more of you. All of you in some form or other have written comments that have helped me. Even if it was to count my blessings that I have not had to walk such a difficult path as they have.
    I truly love my board friends, my little family of, as Claudia would say, Kindred Spirits.
    Love to you all and may NED dance with you all,
    Stef

Mimi ♥ & Stef ♥

You both have truly become friends to me. I would do anything for you and I hope that you remember that. I know that I am not on the board that much anymore, so, I don't know everything that goes on. I do try to check to congratulate, and ofcourse, do the "Happy Ned Dance". I love doing that dance! This board is amazing and I have met some of the most wonderful women ever here. We are family Stef, just like you said. Love to both of you!

Love, Jeanne ♥

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Mimi ♥ & Stef ♥

You both have truly become friends to me. I would do anything for you and I hope that you remember that. I know that I am not on the board that much anymore, so, I don't know everything that goes on. I do try to check to congratulate, and ofcourse, do the "Happy Ned Dance". I love doing that dance! This board is amazing and I have met some of the most wonderful women ever here. We are family Stef, just like you said. Love to both of you!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Hearts :)
    I love those falling hearts Jeanne.

Sue :)