SOCIAL SECURITY

Options
jolenew
jolenew Member Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HAS ANYONE APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY, I AM NOW WORKING PART TIME AND WONDER IF THATS A POSSIBILITY

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    What kind of social security?
    Social Security retirement benefits, Social Security disability insurance, or Supplemental Security Income?
  • jolenew
    Options
    mimivac said:

What kind of social security?
    Social Security retirement benefits, Social Security disability insurance, or Supplemental Security Income?

SOCIAL SECURITY
    I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE DISIBILITY INSURANCE, IT IS GETTING HARDER FOR ME AND NOW I AM HAVING HEART PROBLEMS FROM THE HERCEPTIN. I DIDNT WANT TO WASTE SOMEONES TIME IF THEY COULD NOT HELP ME. ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    THANKS
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    I just applied for
    I just applied for disability and I am pretty sure you can get it if you are working a reduced scedule. It is mentioned on the form. You just have to show proof. I have not been able to work due to Neuropathy which some days seems Ok and other days hard to deal with. My Dr suggested I not work for a while.
  • jolenew
    Options
    elm3544 said:

I just applied for
    I just applied for disability and I am pretty sure you can get it if you are working a reduced scedule. It is mentioned on the form. You just have to show proof. I have not been able to work due to Neuropathy which some days seems Ok and other days hard to deal with. My Dr suggested I not work for a while.

elm3544
    thank you for the info and good luck to you. youll be in my thoughts
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jolenew said:

elm3544
    thank you for the info and good luck to you. youll be in my thoughts

Mimi can help you with a lot
    Mimi can help you with a lot of your questions. I think she works for SS. I think to get Social Security disability, you have to prove that you will be off work for a year. And, your doctor or doctors have to verify this. As far as getting sick disability thru your job, I think that is different. Good luck to you!
  • mimivac
    Options
    Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
    OK, you can receive SSDI if you have a severe disability that renders you unable to work for more than a certain dollar amount per month (in 2009 I think it is $980 per month). The disability must have lasted or be expected to last at least a year. There are other more complicated requirements, but those are the basics. The main point is that you must be too disabled to work.

Depending on your state, you could also qualify for state public disability benefits that are much easier to qualify for. New York, California, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Rhode Island (as well as Puerto Rico) offer these benefits. You could also get disability through your employer, so check into that, too.

Also you could apply for Supplemental Security Income, which has the same disability requirements as SSDI, but is need-based (you don't have to be insured like for SSDI). Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Mimi
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    mimivac said:

OK, you can receive SSDI if you have a severe disability that renders you unable to work for more than a certain dollar amount per month (in 2009 I think it is $980 per month). The disability must have lasted or be expected to last at least a year. There are other more complicated requirements, but those are the basics. The main point is that you must be too disabled to work.

Depending on your state, you could also qualify for state public disability benefits that are much easier to qualify for. New York, California, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Rhode Island (as well as Puerto Rico) offer these benefits. You could also get disability through your employer, so check into that, too.

Also you could apply for Supplemental Security Income, which has the same disability requirements as SSDI, but is need-based (you don't have to be insured like for SSDI). Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Mimi

Hi Mimi
    Hi,I see you work for S.S.WOULD YOU MIND IF i SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH A QUESTION ABOUT S.S.i WOULD APPRIATTE IT.tHANK YOU.(Pat).
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    mimivac said:

Mimi

Do you know anything about
    Do you know anything about the short term disability through your employer. Right now the company I work for pays my insurance premiums, after I use my PTO hours the short term disability kicks in and I will have to pay my insurance premiums, which is very expensive. Is this correct or should employer continue to pay premiums.
    Thanks
    Deb
  • mimivac
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Hi Mimi
    Hi,I see you work for S.S.WOULD YOU MIND IF i SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH A QUESTION ABOUT S.S.i WOULD APPRIATTE IT.tHANK YOU.(Pat).

Sure, Pat
    I will try to help, if I can.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

Do you know anything about
    Do you know anything about the short term disability through your employer. Right now the company I work for pays my insurance premiums, after I use my PTO hours the short term disability kicks in and I will have to pay my insurance premiums, which is very expensive. Is this correct or should employer continue to pay premiums.
    Thanks
    Deb

Deb,
    It depends upon your employer's program. Usually, a short term disability policy will pay out a flat dollar amount or a percentage of your regular gross (pretax) income. The amount always will be less than 100% of your salary, generally in the range of 40% to 70%. Benefits are taxable if your employer pays the premiums; they are not taxable if you pay the premiums with after-tax dollars. You'll pay a higher premium for a higher percentage of income replacement. Can you contact your benefits manager at work?

Mimi
  • jolenew
    Options
    mimivac said:

Mimi

mimi
    im not sure i understand the differences between the SSDI and SSI, if you have a chance could you explain so that i know what i need to apply for. and do i need all my medical records?

thank you
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    mimivac said:

Deb,
    It depends upon your employer's program. Usually, a short term disability policy will pay out a flat dollar amount or a percentage of your regular gross (pretax) income. The amount always will be less than 100% of your salary, generally in the range of 40% to 70%. Benefits are taxable if your employer pays the premiums; they are not taxable if you pay the premiums with after-tax dollars. You'll pay a higher premium for a higher percentage of income replacement. Can you contact your benefits manager at work?

Mimi

Mimi ♥
    I just want to tell you that you are so sweet, so pretty, so smart and so kind. Ok, flattered enough? Cause I mean it! I have wanted to tell you that for the longest time. So, now you know!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • mimivac
    Options
    jolenew said:

mimi
    im not sure i understand the differences between the SSDI and SSI, if you have a chance could you explain so that i know what i need to apply for. and do i need all my medical records?

thank you

SSDI and SSI
    Jole,

SSDI is an entitlement you earn by working and paying into the system through FICA taxes that come out of your paycheck. After you have contributed for a certain number of years (usually 10), you earn the right to receive SSDI if you become disabled. You know that Social Security statement you get in the mail every year? It should tell you on there whether you have worked enough to qualify (it's called "being insured") for SSDI yet. It would also give you a rough estimate of how much you would get a month if you received SSDI. Again, your monthly amount is based on your previous income. If you don't know whether you are insured, call your local SSA office and ask them (find offices in your area at www.ssa.gov).

SSI is for people with limited income and resources. You can get SSI whether you qualify for SSDI or not, but you must have limited income and resources since it is not an entitlement, but a needs-based program. Your income must be under a certain limit and your resources (money in the bank, investments, etc.) must be no more than $2,000 (I think, I may be wrong on the exact amount). You don't need to have made any contribution through FICA taxes to get SSI.

You can get both SSDI and SSI at the same time. The medical disability requirements are the same for both programs. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Mimi ♥
    I just want to tell you that you are so sweet, so pretty, so smart and so kind. Ok, flattered enough? Cause I mean it! I have wanted to tell you that for the longest time. So, now you know!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Hey, you are pretty sweet yourself!
    Well, now I am blushing. You're not by any chance drinking are you, Jeanne? Hee hee. Just kidding. I take the compliment and I sincerely thank you. :)

Mimi
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    mimivac said:

Deb,

Mimi

Ive spoken with the HR
    Ive spoken with the HR person at work. Ive also spoken with a financial assistance lady with Health Well and she said I shouldnt have to pay for my insurance premiums while on short term but probably will have to pay the premium if I need to go on long term disability. I also have emailed the GA insurance comm. with this question. Thank you so much!!
    Deb
  • jolenew
    Options
    mimivac said:

SSDI and SSI
    Jole,

SSDI is an entitlement you earn by working and paying into the system through FICA taxes that come out of your paycheck. After you have contributed for a certain number of years (usually 10), you earn the right to receive SSDI if you become disabled. You know that Social Security statement you get in the mail every year? It should tell you on there whether you have worked enough to qualify (it's called "being insured") for SSDI yet. It would also give you a rough estimate of how much you would get a month if you received SSDI. Again, your monthly amount is based on your previous income. If you don't know whether you are insured, call your local SSA office and ask them (find offices in your area at www.ssa.gov).

SSI is for people with limited income and resources. You can get SSI whether you qualify for SSDI or not, but you must have limited income and resources since it is not an entitlement, but a needs-based program. Your income must be under a certain limit and your resources (money in the bank, investments, etc.) must be no more than $2,000 (I think, I may be wrong on the exact amount). You don't need to have made any contribution through FICA taxes to get SSI.

You can get both SSDI and SSI at the same time. The medical disability requirements are the same for both programs. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mimi

mimi
    thank you for all the info, you are a smart lady.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    mimivac said:

Hey, you are pretty sweet yourself!
    Well, now I am blushing. You're not by any chance drinking are you, Jeanne? Hee hee. Just kidding. I take the compliment and I sincerely thank you. :)

Mimi

Nope
    I am not drinking...YET! lol I just try to tell people things anymore when I think of them as one never knows. And, I am not on that much anymore either. I love getting compliments, so, I assume others do too. You deserve them Mimi! Have a great evening!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Nope
    I am not drinking...YET! lol I just try to tell people things anymore when I think of them as one never knows. And, I am not on that much anymore either. I love getting compliments, so, I assume others do too. You deserve them Mimi! Have a great evening!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Jeanne,I am so glad you
    Jeanne,
    I am so glad you told Mimi that. I have been thinking that about her for a long time. She is always here with support, information, humor and to ask us about our weekends, our goals and our lives outside cancer.
    And while we are passing out compliments, Jeanne, you are also a very kind, supportive lady. You always use your banners and falling hearts etc. to brighten your messages of support and congratulations. And you always have an upbeat message. I told you once you remind me physically of a good friend and you are very like her in manner as well.
    So Mimi and Jeanne this is my upfront and personal thank you to you both. You brighten my day.
    Maybe we should have an ATTA BOY topic to tip our hats to someone who has been especially helpful or caring. There are many, many wonderful ladies and gents here and it is nice to occasionally tell someone what they mean to us. And tt doesn't mean that we don't also love and appreciate all on the board just that sometimes someone does something special or grabs our personal attention. Just a thought.
    Stef
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

Ive spoken with the HR
    Ive spoken with the HR person at work. Ive also spoken with a financial assistance lady with Health Well and she said I shouldnt have to pay for my insurance premiums while on short term but probably will have to pay the premium if I need to go on long term disability. I also have emailed the GA insurance comm. with this question. Thank you so much!!
    Deb

Long Term Disability no premiums
    Hi everyone,
    Yes Deb is correct you have to continue pay premiums while on Short Term Disability (STD) provided by your Employer. Amount usually depends on year of service and can go up to 100% of your salary. HR is the source to answer STD questions. When you exceed your STD benefits and still are not able to work, you can apply for Long Term Disability benefits (LTD). If you granted LTD you will pay no premiums and your income will be from 40 to 70% of your salary, which depends on your policy.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    elm3544 said:

I just applied for

Your Doctor and social worker can help
    Hi,
    I have not apply and have some regrets about it. your Oncologist and a social worker could help you with it. Reach out for help through your medical team. They should have reference for paperwork and assistance with it by your hospital and oncology medical office.
    Good luck