☺RADIATION TREATMENT ☼☼☼ QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS☻ PART TWO

Options

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Yes! It totally answers my
    Yes! It totally answers my question!

Does everyone get boosters ... I'm thinking it is probably on an individual basis, isn't it ... depending on the type of tumor, how big it was, etc?

And the number of boosters probably varies too??

Thank you for your answer! :)
    dh

I don't know if everyone
    I don't know if everyone gets boosters anymore, but, I think so. I don't think they used to give them a few years ago. I don't know how new it is, but, it seems that some of the bc survivors that had zapping ( rads ) a few years ago didn't have them and didn't know what they were. And yes, everyone's amount is different. I am told that I will probably only have to have 5. Some on here had as many as 12 or more boosters.

I am glad to help you Dawne or anyone. This is still new to me too. lol

Sue :)
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I don't know if everyone
    I don't know if everyone gets boosters anymore, but, I think so. I don't think they used to give them a few years ago. I don't know how new it is, but, it seems that some of the bc survivors that had zapping ( rads ) a few years ago didn't have them and didn't know what they were. And yes, everyone's amount is different. I am told that I will probably only have to have 5. Some on here had as many as 12 or more boosters.

I think boosters are rather
    I think boosters are rather new. I also noticed that some of the survivors on here had never heard of them. And, it seems that the numbers that we get are not the same, just like our treatments differ.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I don't know if everyone

Boosters
    Boosters are usually given 2 different ways. Some have a booster done everyday at the end of their regular treatment. These types tend to go less days, usually in the twenty's, overall. Some (like mine) have whole breast for 5-6 weeks, then boosters for a number of days at the end. These usually result in the thirty's overall. The boosters are believed to be an extra "punch" in your overall treatment. Years ago, when boosters where not given, they did whole breast radiation for the maximum number of days they could. Now, since we have boosters, we go less days. They have found it is a better treatment plan while shortening the overall days you would go for treatment. Also, if a reoccurence were to happen, it is usually within the first 2 years and within 2 inches from the original tumor. Hence, that area (the booster area) gets a more intense treatment for obvious reasons. Hope this helps. Pammy
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Boosters
    Boosters are usually given 2 different ways. Some have a booster done everyday at the end of their regular treatment. These types tend to go less days, usually in the twenty's, overall. Some (like mine) have whole breast for 5-6 weeks, then boosters for a number of days at the end. These usually result in the thirty's overall. The boosters are believed to be an extra "punch" in your overall treatment. Years ago, when boosters where not given, they did whole breast radiation for the maximum number of days they could. Now, since we have boosters, we go less days. They have found it is a better treatment plan while shortening the overall days you would go for treatment. Also, if a reoccurence were to happen, it is usually within the first 2 years and within 2 inches from the original tumor. Hence, that area (the booster area) gets a more intense treatment for obvious reasons. Hope this helps. Pammy

Thank you, Pammy! :) I've
    Thank you, Pammy! :) I've been reading your updates too! You and Ritzy are getting close to the end! Hang in there!

You all are such a wealth of information and know that your journeys are an encouragement to those of us who are behind you.

Thank you all so much!

Much love and hugs,
    dh
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Boosters

Explanation of boosters
    This is more info from the site Breastcancer.org. I had a second simulation, like it says, for my boosters.

In order to maximize the amount of radiation delivered to the breast area while avoiding or minimizing radiation to other parts of the body, the radiation oncologist can:

External radiation boost
    During the final week or so of the 5- to 7-week radiation regimen, you will also receive a supplemental dose of radiation targeted directly to the area around your surgery, where the cancer was. This dose is called the "boost" and is usually delivered in a method similar to your regular radiation. The boost dose will be calculated such that each day you’ll get a slightly higher amount of radiation than you did for the first few weeks of your regimen. A different treatment field is used for the boost dose, so a separate planning and set-up session is usually required before the boost radiation is started.

Most people get their boost dose with a special form of external radiation called electrons. This form is used because the dose can be targeted specifically to a small area near the skin surface, sparing the tissue underneath. You will receive this dose from the same machine that is used for your other therapy, and you'll probably lie in the same position.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Explanation of boosters
    This is more info from the site Breastcancer.org. I had a second simulation, like it says, for my boosters.

In order to maximize the amount of radiation delivered to the breast area while avoiding or minimizing radiation to other parts of the body, the radiation oncologist can:

External radiation boost
    During the final week or so of the 5- to 7-week radiation regimen, you will also receive a supplemental dose of radiation targeted directly to the area around your surgery, where the cancer was. This dose is called the "boost" and is usually delivered in a method similar to your regular radiation. The boost dose will be calculated such that each day you’ll get a slightly higher amount of radiation than you did for the first few weeks of your regimen. A different treatment field is used for the boost dose, so a separate planning and set-up session is usually required before the boost radiation is started.

Most people get their boost dose with a special form of external radiation called electrons. This form is used because the dose can be targeted specifically to a small area near the skin surface, sparing the tissue underneath. You will receive this dose from the same machine that is used for your other therapy, and you'll probably lie in the same position.

Right on Survivor!
    That is the explanation of what booster's are! I also had a 2nd simulation done for them.

♥ Noel
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Noel said:

Right on Survivor!
    That is the explanation of what booster's are! I also had a 2nd simulation done for them.

♥ Noel

Ok, I start the boosters
    Ok, I start the boosters tomorrow. I only have to have 5, which I am really happy about. So, I guess I will probably get more pink or red? I am only pink now and it doesn't hurt, except, for my nipple. And, it doesn't hurt that bad, but, a little. thanks

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Ok, I start the boosters
    Ok, I start the boosters tomorrow. I only have to have 5, which I am really happy about. So, I guess I will probably get more pink or red? I am only pink now and it doesn't hurt, except, for my nipple. And, it doesn't hurt that bad, but, a little. thanks

Not started yet
    I go in for my lumpectomy next Monday (the 12th), so I haven't started rads yet, but I know I will.

I recieved an e-mail from my aunt that had DCIS several years ago and was treated with a lumpectomy and rads. She later developed lupus and feels that it was a result of the radiation. Has anyone else heard of this or been told that it's a possible "side effect"?

My aunt is an intelligent woman not prone to overeggerating, so I tend to take what she tells me pretty seriously.

Thanks for your help!!
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Not started yet
    I go in for my lumpectomy next Monday (the 12th), so I haven't started rads yet, but I know I will.

I recieved an e-mail from my aunt that had DCIS several years ago and was treated with a lumpectomy and rads. She later developed lupus and feels that it was a result of the radiation. Has anyone else heard of this or been told that it's a possible "side effect"?

My aunt is an intelligent woman not prone to overeggerating, so I tend to take what she tells me pretty seriously.

Thanks for your help!!

I don't think they are
    I don't think they are related. I know several people who developed LUPUS and never had Rads. It is an autioimmune condition, it's in your genes.
  • Ritzy
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I don't think they are
    I don't think they are related. I know several people who developed LUPUS and never had Rads. It is an autioimmune condition, it's in your genes.

I have never heard of that
    I have never heard of that either, and, Lanie is right. Lupus is an autoimmune condition and couldn't be caused by rads. I wish your aunt good luck!

• lanie940
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I have never heard of that
    I have never heard of that either, and, Lanie is right. Lupus is an autoimmune condition and couldn't be caused by rads. I wish your aunt good luck!

My step-mom thinks it came
    My step-mom thinks it came from her blood pressure medication, there is a "medication induced Lupus."
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Ok, I start the boosters

Boosters
    Boosters are more intense, but, for a shorter time. You will probably get redder or more pink where they are given Sue. But, you will heal up fast after you are done. Just continue to use your creams now and after you are done with rads.

♥ Noel
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Boosters
    Boosters are more intense, but, for a shorter time. You will probably get redder or more pink where they are given Sue. But, you will heal up fast after you are done. Just continue to use your creams now and after you are done with rads.

♥ Noel

I have seen a lot of
    I have seen a lot of comments also on how tired you become with rads. And, you will. So, you need to get lots of sleep and if possible, take naps during the day. You will be tired for awhile afterwords too. So, get lots and lots of rest!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

I have seen a lot of
    I have seen a lot of comments also on how tired you become with rads. And, you will. So, you need to get lots of sleep and if possible, take naps during the day. You will be tired for awhile afterwords too. So, get lots and lots of rest!

Question about radiation fatigue
    For those of you who have done both chemo and rads -- I'm just wondering how radiation fatigue compared with chemo fatigue for you?

I'm doing chemo now, and the fatigue is getting steadily worse -- but it's not like a sleepy fatigue, it's a body fatigue, if that makes sense. I don't feel sleepy, and getting more sleep doesn't help -- I just have times in the day where I need to sit or lay down NOW, like my body just won't hold me up anymore, and often get a little lightheaded. (None of this, BTW, is related to cell counts -- my cell counts are fine.)

Just wondering if radiation fatigue feels somewhat the same, or is it a different kind of fatigue?

Thanks for any input from your experiences,

Traci
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Question about radiation fatigue
    For those of you who have done both chemo and rads -- I'm just wondering how radiation fatigue compared with chemo fatigue for you?

I'm doing chemo now, and the fatigue is getting steadily worse -- but it's not like a sleepy fatigue, it's a body fatigue, if that makes sense. I don't feel sleepy, and getting more sleep doesn't help -- I just have times in the day where I need to sit or lay down NOW, like my body just won't hold me up anymore, and often get a little lightheaded. (None of this, BTW, is related to cell counts -- my cell counts are fine.)

Just wondering if radiation fatigue feels somewhat the same, or is it a different kind of fatigue?

Thanks for any input from your experiences,

Traci

fatigue
    I had 12 weekly treatments of taxol/herceptin ... and it's hard to tell if my fatigue was from the chemo ... or the other drugs ... benadryl etc.

As far as the radiation treatments were concerned ... I was just a little "draggy" during the first 5 weeks ... but the week of the boosters really pooped me out ... big time. I was ... and still am working full time ... and I don't know if the "radiation affect" going on ... or what ... but I still find myself very tired. Maybe it's just laziness ... but I'm in bed by 9:00 ... and take a lot of naps on weekends.

hugs.
    teena
  • Ritzy
    Options
    tgf said:

fatigue
    I had 12 weekly treatments of taxol/herceptin ... and it's hard to tell if my fatigue was from the chemo ... or the other drugs ... benadryl etc.

As far as the radiation treatments were concerned ... I was just a little "draggy" during the first 5 weeks ... but the week of the boosters really pooped me out ... big time. I was ... and still am working full time ... and I don't know if the "radiation affect" going on ... or what ... but I still find myself very tired. Maybe it's just laziness ... but I'm in bed by 9:00 ... and take a lot of naps on weekends.

hugs.
    teena

Thanks Teena for letting me
    Thanks Teena for letting me know that it isn't just me. My rads oncologist said the same thing, but, it is always nice to hear it from someone who has been thru it. He said the boosters would be harder on me, even though they were so much quicker and focused on a smaller part of my body. I am soooooooooo tired. I hope you get to feeling better and get more energy!

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Thanks Teena for letting me know that it isn't just me. My rads oncologist said the same thing, but, it is always nice to hear it from someone who has been thru it. He said the boosters would be harder on me, even though they were so much quicker and focused on a smaller part of my body. I am soooooooooo tired. I hope you get to feeling better and get more energy!

I got extremely exhausted by
    I got extremely exhausted by the time I got to my boosters. I just felt like my body was going to shut down. Unfortunately, this is part of radiation treatments. That is why it is so important to get as much rest as you can.

♥ Kylez ♥
  • lanie940
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I had the CT scan and the
    I had the CT scan and the tattoos this morning. I asked the gals there about feeling fatigued from RADs. They said you will if you try to overdo yourself. The one nurse said she had a patient who cleaned windows. She did 18 in one day. Good Gravy, I'm tired just thinking about it. The one tattoo kinda smarted more than the others. I stopped at my favorite Dept store, and bught another pink sweatshirt for brast cancer and a Rolf's wallet. The store is donating 1% of all sales of Breast cancer items. (that's all the stores in the chain) nationwide.the gal that rang me up was young, in her 20's. She told me she bought one of everything. She had breast cancer, so did her Mom and Grandmom, she said she had the gene.(BRACA)

So tomorrow is my hernia surgery, and on the 16th I go and get more markings (UGH)So I will be set to go on Monday the 19th. I will have 11:20 appointments for a couple of weeks until a 9:30 slot opens up. Right now they are treating 40 people for various rads.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I had the CT scan and the
    I had the CT scan and the tattoos this morning. I asked the gals there about feeling fatigued from RADs. They said you will if you try to overdo yourself. The one nurse said she had a patient who cleaned windows. She did 18 in one day. Good Gravy, I'm tired just thinking about it. The one tattoo kinda smarted more than the others. I stopped at my favorite Dept store, and bught another pink sweatshirt for brast cancer and a Rolf's wallet. The store is donating 1% of all sales of Breast cancer items. (that's all the stores in the chain) nationwide.the gal that rang me up was young, in her 20's. She told me she bought one of everything. She had breast cancer, so did her Mom and Grandmom, she said she had the gene.(BRACA)

So tomorrow is my hernia surgery, and on the 16th I go and get more markings (UGH)So I will be set to go on Monday the 19th. I will have 11:20 appointments for a couple of weeks until a 9:30 slot opens up. Right now they are treating 40 people for various rads.

Good luck Lanie with your
    Good luck Lanie with your surgery!

HUGS
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Good luck Lanie with your
    Good luck Lanie with your surgery!

HUGS

This is the part two to the
    This is the part two to the other post. It took me forever to find it, but, it has a lot of info too.

Megan