Options
2»

Comments

• Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    littledot said:

vitamins
    vitamin D..take 1000iu per day ( 1 pill)..green tea and flax capsules..

A big NO to vitamins for me
    My rads oncologist and my oncologist both said no vitamins for me. You don't want anything to help any cell get stronger. But some oncologists and rad oncologist's may feel differently. Just do what yours says if you trust them.

Kristin ♥
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Anti oxidants
    Hi Taina,

My oncologist told me there was a clinical trial in brain cancer patients using antioxidant vitamins, which they actually terminated early because the vitamins were clearly protecting the cancer cells, as well as the healthy ones. So it's good to know antioxidants work! We just need to wait until after treatment.

Calcium & Vitamin D are different - I would be interested in hearing what your doctor says about them.

Hope your rads go well - I was fortunate enough to sail through them, but I know not everyone does.

Hugs,

Fran
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    hi taina
    Taina, you're cute as a button! I'm glad you mentioned vitamins, because I've been taking them and probably shouldn't.
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    Options
    laurissa said:

hi taina
    Taina, you're cute as a button! I'm glad you mentioned vitamins, because I've been taking them and probably shouldn't.

thanks
    Laurissa:

thanks a lot for the cute as a button.....
    no vitamins while chemo, just finish last chemo last wk same day dr gave me a flu shot.
    i will ask my radiation onco next wk about vitamins...i will let you know...
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Hi Taina
    Welcome! Nice Avatar picture-bald truly is beautiful(and especially on you!)!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Taina .. Yes, you are a 'cutie' pie .. Finished
    your chemo cycle of 4 .. Wow, I am impressed .. I just started my second round yesterday, ugly .. but, that's my life and full time job right now.

I've heard no vitamins during chemo, but given the green light to have flu shot .. on herception weeks . . . went I feel stronger.

Our sisters in PINK, have useful information about everything>>> ..

Best of luck to you ..

VickiSam
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Tania, you should have
    Hi Tania, you should have the radiologist oncologist order blood test or your medical oncologist to see how many iu of vitamin d you need. They found me to be so insufficient that I had to go on 50,000iu per week for a long time until my levels went up. I am now on 2,000 iu per day and 1200 mg of calcium. Always check with the doctors since some vitamins may interfere with your treatment. Hugs, Lili
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Wolfi
    Wofli, you are welcome. I think sometimes the rads oncologist doesn't or forgets to tell their patients these things. So, it is good to have a site like this where you can find out certain things to ask him. And, he may agree and he may not. But at least you have opened up a question that could be either harmful or beneficial to you. Let me know what your doctor says.

Sue :)

No vitamins
    Sue,

He told me not to take any vitamins. He said I could take a multi-vitamin if I really wanted to but it wasn't necessary if I was eating protein, fruits and veggies. He said that Vitamins C and E take care of free radicals and that taking them would counteract what the radiation was doing.

I got my flu shot today and feel pretty good after my 2nd day of rads, so hopefully I won't get too tired.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Taina said:

thanks
    Laurissa:

thanks a lot for the cute as a button.....
    no vitamins while chemo, just finish last chemo last wk same day dr gave me a flu shot.
    i will ask my radiation onco next wk about vitamins...i will let you know...

Taina
    You are beautiful bald! You really are!

Sue :)