vitamins

Options
Taina
Taina Member Posts: 166
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, everyone.
I just finish my chemo tx's(4) will start rads the wk of Oct. 5th. My oncology didn't wanted me to take vitamins while chemo tx. Now i can. I already got a flu shot. Any suggestions on which vitamis? Also, what about vitamin D? What dosage?
Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Hi Taina
    My radiation oncologist did not want me to take any vitamins while I am having rads. The reason being that you don't want any cells to get stronger and healthier and vitamins can have that effect on cancer cells as well as just regular normal healthy cells. Please check with your rads oncologist and ask him before you start taking vitamins again. And, let me know what yours says.

Sue :)
  • Taina
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Hi Taina
    My radiation oncologist did not want me to take any vitamins while I am having rads. The reason being that you don't want any cells to get stronger and healthier and vitamins can have that effect on cancer cells as well as just regular normal healthy cells. Please check with your rads oncologist and ask him before you start taking vitamins again. And, let me know what yours says.

Thanks
    Sue:
    that's what my Oncology dr said also, to ask my rads oncologist. I have an appt on Oct 5th. I will let you know......Thanks again....
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Taina said:

Thanks
    Sue:
    that's what my Oncology dr said also, to ask my rads oncologist. I have an appt on Oct 5th. I will let you know......Thanks again....

I heard you can still take
    I heard you can still take Calcium suplements, I'll have to ask also because I take VIACTIV and that has 500 mgs of Calcium 500 mgs of Vitamin D and 40 of vitamin K. I take them twice daily.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I heard you can still take
    I heard you can still take Calcium suplements, I'll have to ask also because I take VIACTIV and that has 500 mgs of Calcium 500 mgs of Vitamin D and 40 of vitamin K. I take them twice daily.

I was also told by my rads
    I was also told by my rads oncologist to not take any vitamins at all while having radiation treatments. You don't want anything to help those cancer cells to thrive, if there are any left.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Taina said:

Thanks
    Sue:

You are welcome Taina! Good
    You are welcome Taina! Good luck with your appointment on the 5th. Is that your simulation appointment? Where they set you up for your rads? Or, just a consultation? I am here to help you in anyway that I can!

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    I was told to take a B
    I was told to take a B complex vitamin. I found that a multi vitamin had more B than the B complex I found. I had read that you shouldn't take vitamins during chemo and was concerned, but both my chemo onc and my rad onc recomended I take it for my Neuropathy which was caused by the chemo.
  • Taina
    Options
    Ritzy said:

You are welcome Taina! Good
    You are welcome Taina! Good luck with your appointment on the 5th. Is that your simulation appointment? Where they set you up for your rads? Or, just a consultation? I am here to help you in anyway that I can!

simulation
    Yes, is the simulation day. 48 hrs after i will start the rads. Thanks so much.....
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    elm3544 said:

I was told to take a B
    I was told to take a B complex vitamin. I found that a multi vitamin had more B than the B complex I found. I had read that you shouldn't take vitamins during chemo and was concerned, but both my chemo onc and my rad onc recomended I take it for my Neuropathy which was caused by the chemo.

vitamins ... rads
    My radiation oncologist didn't want me to take any vitamins or minerals ... while having radiation ... and even wanted me to wait a few weeks after treatments ended before I started up with my multi-vitamin etc.

hugs.
    teena
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    tgf said:

vitamins ... rads
    My radiation oncologist didn't want me to take any vitamins or minerals ... while having radiation ... and even wanted me to wait a few weeks after treatments ended before I started up with my multi-vitamin etc.

hugs.
    teena

None for me
    My rads oncologist told me to NOT take any vitamins during rads and as Teena said, for a few weeks afterwords too. Talk to your own rads oncologist. I am sure he will tell you the same. They don't want anything to help the cancer cells.

♥ Noel
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

None for me
    My rads oncologist told me to NOT take any vitamins during rads and as Teena said, for a few weeks afterwords too. Talk to your own rads oncologist. I am sure he will tell you the same. They don't want anything to help the cancer cells.

♥ Noel

None
    I was told no vitamins during rads at all..nothing.

HUGS
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    TAINA
    I'm not sure about rads, but I have been taking vitaimins during chemo treatments. The doc has a list of my meds and never said not to. I have an appointment tomorrow so I'm going to ask that's for sure! Hugs, Diane
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    chickad52 said:

TAINA
    I'm not sure about rads, but I have been taking vitaimins during chemo treatments. The doc has a list of my meds and never said not to. I have an appointment tomorrow so I'm going to ask that's for sure! Hugs, Diane

Ca, D3
    Taina,
    My oncologist was ok to take regular multivitamins during Chemo. During Radiation I was not alloed any supplement ecept Ca and Vitamin D3.
    Talk to your doctor.
    Good luck with Radiation treatment
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Ca, D3
    Taina,
    My oncologist was ok to take regular multivitamins during Chemo. During Radiation I was not alloed any supplement ecept Ca and Vitamin D3.
    Talk to your doctor.
    Good luck with Radiation treatment

I don't know about chemo,
    I don't know about chemo, as, I didn't have it. But, my radiation oncologist said absolutely no vitamins.

Leeza
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Hi Taina
    My Docs all agreed no vitamins during treatment except 1200mg calcium and 1000IU of vitamin D because I have osteopina. So I think it is an individual basis. Pammy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Hi Taina
    My Docs all agreed no vitamins during treatment except 1200mg calcium and 1000IU of vitamin D because I have osteopina. So I think it is an individual basis. Pammy

Taina,
    When I had my first consultation with my rads oncologist, one of the things he said was no vitamins during rads. You don't want your cells "pumping up". lol Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Hi Taina

Thanks for the info
    Sue,

I'm glad I read this tonight since I start my rads tomorrow. I have never been great about remembering to take my multi-vitamin each day but I was thinking about taking it so I could avoid getting too tired from rads. I'm glad I saw this first.

I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow about it but it sounds like he will tell me to not take any vitamins until I'm done.
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Thanks for the info
    Sue,

I'm glad I read this tonight since I start my rads tomorrow. I have never been great about remembering to take my multi-vitamin each day but I was thinking about taking it so I could avoid getting too tired from rads. I'm glad I saw this first.

I'll talk to my doctor tomorrow about it but it sounds like he will tell me to not take any vitamins until I'm done.

Wolfi
    Wofli, you are welcome. I think sometimes the rads oncologist doesn't or forgets to tell their patients these things. So, it is good to have a site like this where you can find out certain things to ask him. And, he may agree and he may not. But at least you have opened up a question that could be either harmful or beneficial to you. Let me know what your doctor says.

• blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    wow
    Hi Taina,
    wow, I guess that I better stop taking my vitamins..nobody even told me. I had my surgery but still have to do chemo and radiation which I haven't started. I guess I didn't realize that the cancer cells fed on the vitamins????? I will stop taking them tomorrow. why didn't my dr's tell me?
  • JmG86
    JmG86 Member Posts: 53
    Options

wow
    Hi Taina,
    wow, I guess that I better stop taking my vitamins..nobody even told me. I had my surgery but still have to do chemo and radiation which I haven't started. I guess I didn't realize that the cancer cells fed on the vitamins????? I will stop taking them tomorrow. why didn't my dr's tell me?

I had to change doctors over
    I had to change doctors over the last couple of years. My first oncologist was all for vitamins. My second (and current) oncologist doesn't believe in them at all. I think he believes they will get your cancer cells healthier as well as your good cells! So I just try to eat a healthy diet.
  • littledot
    littledot Member Posts: 1
    Options
    vitamins
    vitamin D..take 1000iu per day ( 1 pill)..green tea and flax capsules..