New to the "club" and having surgery soon

Options
sub3
sub3 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So hoping you'll have some advice for me! I'm 41, was just diagnosed with invasive ductal and am having unilateral mast. on 9/30 with immediate reconstruction via latiss. flap. Any advice to get ready? Anything you found helpful to have ready when you got home? I appreciate any tips you can share!

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Hi Sub3!
    Welcome to the Board! I am 1 month new here myself, haven't had surgery as of yet so I can't offer advice there. It's the weekend so you may not get too many responses just yet, but you will! There is always someone here (24/7) that can help you that has been there & done that!
    Prayers & Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Hi Sub3!
    Welcome to the Board! I am 1 month new here myself, haven't had surgery as of yet so I can't offer advice there. It's the weekend so you may not get too many responses just yet, but you will! There is always someone here (24/7) that can help you that has been there & done that!
    Prayers & Hugz,
    Cathy

Hello
    I had a bilateral masectomy on July 29th with immediate reconstruction using my belly fat and skin. It was pretty rough but not unbearable. I didn't have much pain and had the morphine pump diconnected same night as surgery but I'm finding out I must have a high tolerance for pain.
    Tips for home.

you will NEED a recliner!!!!!!!!
    lots of rest
    take it very slow
    do not push yourself
    drink lots of fluids
    mild comfort foods
    shower sitting down
    Have someone read to you!!! passes time and you can get lost in the story and not think of your discomfort...

A special thing I did during my surgery... I bought a journal book and while I was having surgery my family and friends wrote special messages to me.. I will always have this reminder of my Loved ones thoughts of Love for me!!!

Calleen
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Welcome, sub3. I have not

Welcome, sub3. I have not had the surgery you describe, but I wish you the best.
    A couple of things I have learned from previous (noncancer) surgeries is to have a small cooler by my bedside for drinks, so I do not have to ask my family to get me something to drink. BTW be sure you are drinking lots of fluids--once I got a bladder infection from not drinking after surgery.

Also, I tend to get confused on meds, so I made a chart & checked off the meds as I took them. One final thing I learned is that bowels naturally slow down with not being able to eat and with all the meds, so constipation might be a problem. I drink a can of prune juice each day post surgery and that seems to get things moving again.

Hugs & prayers headed your way....
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi sub3...
    I did have a

Hi sub3...

I did have a double mastectomy but not a flap... I had expanders placed...

Advice... REST... REST... REST... and have someone on hand to help you. I have 3 young kids btw 7 - 2.. and had someone at the house to help me with them. you won't be able to do any lifting... Just remember be good to your self and listen to your body.. Good luck with surgery...
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    sub
    Welcome to the board! I was diagnosed with invasive ductal also,but just had a partial mastectomy. I do reccommend buying a nice big fluffy body pillow for sleeping.
    Hope that your surgery and recovery go well when you have it!!
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    The ladies here have been
    The ladies here have been very helpful with any question that I post. I have also found a good book called Pink Lemonade written by Martha Lanier, its mastectomy tips from a cancer survivor.
    Deb
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Pillows
    I had a bilateral a few weeks ago and found that having a few extra pillows on the bed made it a lot more comfortable. Since I had drain tubes on each side I was only able to sleep on my back each night. I put one pillow under each arm before I went to sleep and it kept me from rolling onto my drain tubes while I was sleeping. I also bought myself some new bed sheets and pajamas before I went to the hospital. It wasn't much, but they made me feel better when I was home.

Make sure to be focused on your movements at all times. I had a few times when I (while thinking of something else) moved too quickly and pulled my drain tubes or made my chest or arm sore from moving too much.

Don't try to do too much and get lots of rest.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Pillows
    I had a bilateral a few weeks ago and found that having a few extra pillows on the bed made it a lot more comfortable. Since I had drain tubes on each side I was only able to sleep on my back each night. I put one pillow under each arm before I went to sleep and it kept me from rolling onto my drain tubes while I was sleeping. I also bought myself some new bed sheets and pajamas before I went to the hospital. It wasn't much, but they made me feel better when I was home.

Make sure to be focused on your movements at all times. I had a few times when I (while thinking of something else) moved too quickly and pulled my drain tubes or made my chest or arm sore from moving too much.

Don't try to do too much and get lots of rest.

Hi and welcome to the
    Hi and welcome to the boards. I had a lumpectomy back in June, so I can not really help you, but I wanted to welcome you and wish you the best of luck.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Hi Sub3, welcome
    I just wanted to add my welcome. I had a partial mestectomy also. I stayed in bed 2 days after my surgery. Kept my laptop by my side as this board was my lifeline during the healing process. If you will be recovering on a seperate floor of your home than where everyone will be, I suggest a small bell for your bedside to summon help when you need it. Good luck and keep us posted. Pammy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to welcome you
    Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I had a lumpectomy so can't offer any advice but just wanted you to know you've come to the right place!!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Just wanted to welcome you
    Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I had a lumpectomy so can't offer any advice but just wanted you to know you've come to the right place!!

bath suggestions
    I had a lumpectomy ... but found a few suggestions to make bathing easier. I found it much easier to use one of those hand-held spray things so I could aim the water where I wanted it to go. I also had a stool in the tub which made getting in and out much, much easier. Then the final suggestion is a BIG FLUFFY towel. It felt so much better than the ones I'd had around for years ... :-)

You'll do just fine!

hugs.
    teena
  • sub3
    sub3 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    tgf said:

bath suggestions
    I had a lumpectomy ... but found a few suggestions to make bathing easier. I found it much easier to use one of those hand-held spray things so I could aim the water where I wanted it to go. I also had a stool in the tub which made getting in and out much, much easier. Then the final suggestion is a BIG FLUFFY towel. It felt so much better than the ones I'd had around for years ... :-)

You'll do just fine!

hugs.
    teena

Thank you so much to
    Thank you so much to everyone for the wonderful tips!
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    sub3 said:

Thank you so much to
    Thank you so much to everyone for the wonderful tips!

just wanted to welcome you!
    I had 2 surguries, 1st a lumpectomy, and then a partial mastsecomy. All I can tell you is to listen to your bobdy, use the pain pills when ypu need the and get plenty of rest. Extra pillows help alot, and use all the help that offered to you. You'll get through fine. keep us posted and let us know how you're doing, and we'll help to answer any other questions you may have.

Good luck and God bless,

Aurora
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    Options
    e_hope said:

Hi sub3...
    I did have a

Hi sub3...

I did have a double mastectomy but not a flap... I had expanders placed...

Advice... REST... REST... REST... and have someone on hand to help you. I have 3 young kids btw 7 - 2.. and had someone at the house to help me with them. you won't be able to do any lifting... Just remember be good to your self and listen to your body.. Good luck with surgery...

expanders vs. tummy tuck
    just wondering what made you decide to go with implants vs the tummy tuck? I am having my bi-lateral at the end of the month and decided to go with implants - hope I'm making the right decision.