New to site - need emotional support

Options
2»

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Chris... as Chen expressed
    Chris... as Chen expressed it truly is a roller coaster ride... Personaly I have often said that I often feel my husband and family is dealing with Cybil or at least from the "Three faces of.." ... Eve... my emotions swing from one side of the fence to the other day by day and often hour by hour... I was dx'd in May and have just finished my 4th rad treatment... it's been one of the longest journeys getting to treatment than I have seen many have to endure... I am so glad that you did not need further treatment... unfortunately regardless of our treatment the emotional chaos that we endure just in the dx and the choices we are faced with, are enough to drive a saint over the edge at times...

Hang in there and know that we are all with you... vent and dump any time you feel the need... checking with your local ACS office may be a good start for finding someone or maybe even a group of someones to help you through this... and remember... there is always us! As long as the ACS continues to have this site, none of us is ever having to walk the journey, before, during or after, alone.

♥ & hugs,
    ~T
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    taleena said:

Chris... as Chen expressed
    Chris... as Chen expressed it truly is a roller coaster ride... Personaly I have often said that I often feel my husband and family is dealing with Cybil or at least from the "Three faces of.." ... Eve... my emotions swing from one side of the fence to the other day by day and often hour by hour... I was dx'd in May and have just finished my 4th rad treatment... it's been one of the longest journeys getting to treatment than I have seen many have to endure... I am so glad that you did not need further treatment... unfortunately regardless of our treatment the emotional chaos that we endure just in the dx and the choices we are faced with, are enough to drive a saint over the edge at times...

Hang in there and know that we are all with you... vent and dump any time you feel the need... checking with your local ACS office may be a good start for finding someone or maybe even a group of someones to help you through this... and remember... there is always us! As long as the ACS continues to have this site, none of us is ever having to walk the journey, before, during or after, alone.

♥ & hugs,
    ~T

Chris, I am new to the site
    Chris, I am new to the site too and let me tell you, it is great! You will learn so much and find such comfort here that you won't believe it. So, start hanging around and you will see!

Sue :)
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Chris, I am new to the site
    Chris, I am new to the site too and let me tell you, it is great! You will learn so much and find such comfort here that you won't believe it. So, start hanging around and you will see!

Sue :)

I'm new to the site, too.
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty far along on the journey. Partial mastectomy, radiation and now Arimidex. I've been told that Arimidex is often the drug of choice for postmenapausal women like me. All this since mid-Feb when I received my shocking diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Stage 1 and node negative so I had the OncoTypeDX you have been discussing. Score was 18 (grey area) but I decided against chemo which would not have made much of a difference in my 10 year survival (3%). It's a great test.

I'm feeling fine so far on the Arimidex. I was very nervous about SE but so far so good. I'm a little sore in the morning but at 59 most people are. I sometimes worry about reoccurrances but then I remember what my mom used to say..."Roseann, you can't solve a problem you don't have yet." So I get on with enjoying my life with gratetude.

Roseann
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

I'm new to the site, too.
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty far along on the journey. Partial mastectomy, radiation and now Arimidex. I've been told that Arimidex is often the drug of choice for postmenapausal women like me. All this since mid-Feb when I received my shocking diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Stage 1 and node negative so I had the OncoTypeDX you have been discussing. Score was 18 (grey area) but I decided against chemo which would not have made much of a difference in my 10 year survival (3%). It's a great test.

I'm feeling fine so far on the Arimidex. I was very nervous about SE but so far so good. I'm a little sore in the morning but at 59 most people are. I sometimes worry about reoccurrances but then I remember what my mom used to say..."Roseann, you can't solve a problem you don't have yet." So I get on with enjoying my life with gratetude.

Roseann

Hi Roseanne, I had a
    Hi Roseanne, I had a lumpectomy, sentinel node negative. I'm waiting on the results of the oncotype dx. I should know when I have follow-up visits on the 22nd. I will not do chemo unless it would bake a BIG difference.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    i know what you mean
    Hi Chris..

I am also new to this site, and I know what you mean. I was diagnosed in Feb. and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. I had a double mastectomy in Feb and have just completed 8 chemo treatments. On top of dealing with the emotional effects of the diagnosis I also dealing with chemo induced menopause. I am 36 years old. I tried the counselor and for me it didn't work out too well. I find it more helpful talking to women who know what your going through. I'm trying to find a support group that is geared towards younger woman, but haven't found one yet. I am a mother of 3 young kids (7, 4, and 2). I often wonder, When or if I will ever feel normal again...
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    e_hope said:

i know what you mean
    Hi Chris..

I am also new to this site, and I know what you mean. I was diagnosed in Feb. and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. I had a double mastectomy in Feb and have just completed 8 chemo treatments. On top of dealing with the emotional effects of the diagnosis I also dealing with chemo induced menopause. I am 36 years old. I tried the counselor and for me it didn't work out too well. I find it more helpful talking to women who know what your going through. I'm trying to find a support group that is geared towards younger woman, but haven't found one yet. I am a mother of 3 young kids (7, 4, and 2). I often wonder, When or if I will ever feel normal again...

Sorry I missed this one earlier, but...
    You may want to check out http://www.youngsurvivor.org - it is a vibrant and supportive community of younger BC survivors, many of whom are mothers. I know that Mimi is a member of that board; there are probably others here too.

Best,
    Joe
  • sherik
    sherik Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Chris
    I'm about to have

Hi Chris
    I'm about to have surgery on the 24th. I expect an emotional rollercoaster to come. Don't be so hard on yourself. Irritability and feelings of depression are so understandable given all of this. I agree with the others regarding the benefits that can be found with medication, but I also think finding a good therapist is a great idea. I'm biased though because I'm a psycholoigst. Ask everyone - your oncologist, general practitioner, if there is a local chapter of a Psychological Association that is always a good place to find a good therapist. Some universities have clinics as well. Talking about things is really important. It's worth giving it a try. Hang in there!
    Sheri
  • sophy
    sophy Member Posts: 22
    Options
    your not alone
    I also had masectomy on my right breast,last year,stage two, also had to have my overies out. i was 49. Went right into menapause plus chemo and radiation. I live alone but had a great support group with my family and friends. I have a great friend who would allow me one bad day at a time to just be mad at the world, on the second day she got me out of the house and i again thanked god for my family, my friends and my doctors. Take it one day at a time, keep busy and know that you are never alone. I am 50 years old now and am 11 months into being done with the treatments. I am now planning my reconstruction. This past June I went to my nephews high school graduation, also my godchild, Last year at that time I wondered if I would see that day, we cried together that day, I told him how proud I was of him, and he told me that he was proud of me for how I handled the cancer, with faith love and laughter. I suggest to read kelleys story on the boston channel.com Her diary of her cancer experience let me know I was not alone in my experiences , sorrows etc. keep writing and we will be there for you