Day 1 of Sue's Rads

Ritzy
Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, it wasn't so bad. It was actually so fast, just like they said it would be. It did take me longer to get undressed almost than to get zapped. Today was a bit longer they said because it was my first zapping. The tech's had hats on that said "Welcome to your first Zap". I couldn't stop laughing. I laid on the tiny metal table, they put the wedge under my knees to make it more comfortable, put a warm blanket on me because that room is freezing and put my arm in a sling like thing so that it was away from my body. That is for when they zap my lymph nodes under my arm. The machine stopped in 4 places to zap me. It makes a noise and that is how you know the radiation is happening. Not loud, just a buzz. The techs can see you on a screen and can hear you. You are alone in the room, but, there were a lot of colored lights, like laser lights in the room and on me that it kept my mind busy. lol I just kept looking at them thinking how cool they were. And, the room is kind of dark, not total dark, but, just soothing. After they were done, they all came in and congratulated me on my first rad and said I could have any of their candy in their big candy bowl. YUM! My radiation oncologist then saw me, wanted to make sure I was ok and that I understood everything. He is so nice! Got dressed and out of there my hubby and I went to celebrate! So, it wasn't bad at all. I was told to start putting my creams on, so, I brought home Biafine and Aquaphor to start using. Ok, that's it!

Sue

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Good job!
    I'm glad the first one went smootly, Sue. They'll be over before you know it. Make sure to start on the creams right away. It'll help keep your skin from becoming damaged in the long run. I like that you and your husband celebrated finishing the first one. I think building in little rewards makes the days go by faster. Good luck in the weeks to come.

Mimi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    RADical Ritzy!
    Sue~

Congrats to you; it sounds as if you have come through your first Rad-zap with flying colors...or at least colored lights! :-)
    I agree that it's always nice to have something to distract us, even if the procedure doesn't take too long!
    I am glad you and your hubby celebrated...you had good reason to!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    chenheart said:

RADical Ritzy!
    Sue~

Congrats to you; it sounds as if you have come through your first Rad-zap with flying colors...or at least colored lights! :-)
    I agree that it's always nice to have something to distract us, even if the procedure doesn't take too long!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

So glad to hear that
    So glad to hear that everything went well. As others have said, use the creams recommended religiously. My rad onc also has us wear cotton bras (I have a couple of the "just My Size" brand that are very comfy)and use hypoallergenic detergent (I already do due to allergies).
    In fact, the bras are so comfortable, I might just continue wearing them.

It will be over before you know it!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    WooHooo!!!
    Alright, you made it through round number one! Hmmmm....I'm a tad jealous over the warm blanket. Although, I never complained of being cold, so maybe I was just never offered. But I think I may be the only one here that has a 1 inch rubberband put around her feet? Oh, and I love the lights! Just would have been really cool if Pink Floyds "Dark Side of The Moon" was playing in the background instead of in my head (and they wonder why I always smile!). Pammy
  • Ritzy
    mimivac said:

Good job!
    I'm glad the first one went smootly, Sue. They'll be over before you know it. Make sure to start on the creams right away. It'll help keep your skin from becoming damaged in the long run. I like that you and your husband celebrated finishing the first one. I think building in little rewards makes the days go by faster. Good luck in the weeks to come.

Mimi

Thanks Mimi
    It went very smooth, but, I knew it would. My radiation oncologist and the techs had explained it all to me and ofcourse during the simulation last Friday, I saw the room, machine, computers, everything, so, I knew kind of what to expect. They sent me home with creams and I put the Biafine on when I got home. They said to put the Aquaphor on at night with something that I don't mind ruining because it is so greasy. So, I haven't put it on yet, but, it is greasy. Yes, it was nice to go out for a late lunch/early dinner. Hubby is so protective of me and feels I should have anything and everything now. So, what do you think girls? A new Cadillac Escalade? New boat? Vacation home? Poor guy lol Ok, I am kidding. ( sort of )

Sue
  • Ritzy
    chenheart said:

RADical Ritzy!
    Sue~

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks Chen
    I like that name RADical Ritzy! I think I might keep that! Yea, the colored lights are cool. It does make the couple of minutes go by faster. Thanks!

Sue
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    Congrats!
    One down, and away you go! In addition to using the creams diligently, I was told to drink lots of water. That stuff dehydrates you, inside-out! I'm jealous - also never got a warm blanket, and No Candy!!!
    Instead of watching the lights (after the first day), I closed my eyes and pictured Pac-Man types gobbling up the bad cells. Don't know why that picture came to me, since I've not played Pac-Man for many years.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Akiss4me said:

WooHooo!!!
    Alright, you made it through round number one! Hmmmm....I'm a tad jealous over the warm blanket. Although, I never complained of being cold, so maybe I was just never offered. But I think I may be the only one here that has a 1 inch rubberband put around her feet? Oh, and I love the lights! Just would have been really cool if Pink Floyds "Dark Side of The Moon" was playing in the background instead of in my head (and they wonder why I always smile!). Pammy

WTG
    You have the first big bad one done now Sue. You will be fine now. Just keep the creams on and get lots of rest. And, don't wear a bra, especially not an underwire bra. Isn't that warm blanket nice? I froze in there too and they always had one for me.

Kylez ♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    rainbow4 said:

Congrats!
    One down, and away you go! In addition to using the creams diligently, I was told to drink lots of water. That stuff dehydrates you, inside-out! I'm jealous - also never got a warm blanket, and No Candy!!!
    Instead of watching the lights (after the first day), I closed my eyes and pictured Pac-Man types gobbling up the bad cells. Don't know why that picture came to me, since I've not played Pac-Man for many years.

One over
    Happy that you are done with that first one. I hope the rest go fast and painless. Make sure to use the creams and be gentle with your skin. Your rads oncologist should keep a close eye on you.

Hugs!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

One over
    Happy that you are done with that first one. I hope the rest go fast and painless. Make sure to use the creams and be gentle with your skin. Your rads oncologist should keep a close eye on you.

Hugs!

Hi
    Hi Sue and welcome! Rads are very doable. It sounds like you have a great attitude already. I wore my hubby's old tshirts at night. They are soft and because the greasy aquaphor would ruin it, so, I knew I could throw them away when rads were done. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Tux said:

So glad to hear that
    So glad to hear that everything went well. As others have said, use the creams recommended religiously. My rad onc also has us wear cotton bras (I have a couple of the "just My Size" brand that are very comfy)and use hypoallergenic detergent (I already do due to allergies).
    In fact, the bras are so comfortable, I might just continue wearing them.

It will be over before you know it!

Thanks Tux
    Yes, it went well. It went pretty fast. They said it will go faster. Today just took a little bit longer since it was the actual first zapping day. Where did you buy or get the "just my size" bras Tux? I don't think I have seen those. Thanks for the help!

Sue
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    jnl said:

Hi
    Hi Sue and welcome! Rads are very doable. It sounds like you have a great attitude already. I wore my hubby's old tshirts at night. They are soft and because the greasy aquaphor would ruin it, so, I knew I could throw them away when rads were done. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Leeza

Sue ☻
    Congrats on having one under your belt now. Looks like you have been given lots of good advice. I had the colored lights too. They were pretty awesome.

Kristin ♥
  • Ritzy
    Akiss4me said:

WooHooo!!!

Thanks Pammy
    Oh, the blanket was so nice! Nice and warm because that room is freezing. They said it has to be a certain temp in order for the machine to work properly. And, the proper temp is COLD! lol One of the rad techs is going to embroider my name on it. Isn't that sweet? They are so nice. Yes, the lights, I love them. That keeps my mind occupied.

Sue
  • Ritzy
    Kylez said:

WTG
    You have the first big bad one done now Sue. You will be fine now. Just keep the creams on and get lots of rest. And, don't wear a bra, especially not an underwire bra. Isn't that warm blanket nice? I froze in there too and they always had one for me.

Kylez ♥

Thanks Kylez. Yes, it feels
    Thanks Kylez. Yes, it feels good to have one done. They told me to not wear a bra anymore, if I could go without one. Thanks for reminding me.

Sue
  • Ritzy
    rainbow4 said:

Congrats!

I do drink a lot of water,
    I do drink a lot of water, but, I don't remember if they told me that. So, I will be sure too now. Sorry you didn't get the warm blanket or the candy. The blanket felt good as the room is freezing and the candy was YUMMY! lol I like that you closed your eyes and imagined pacman eating the bad cells. I like that!

Sue
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Ritzy said:

I do drink a lot of water,
    I do drink a lot of water, but, I don't remember if they told me that. So, I will be sure too now. Sorry you didn't get the warm blanket or the candy. The blanket felt good as the room is freezing and the candy was YUMMY! lol I like that you closed your eyes and imagined pacman eating the bad cells. I like that!

Sue

Congrats
    Glad your first treatment went well for you Sue.

♥Noel
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Ritzy said:

Thanks Pammy
    Oh, the blanket was so nice! Nice and warm because that room is freezing. They said it has to be a certain temp in order for the machine to work properly. And, the proper temp is COLD! lol One of the rad techs is going to embroider my name on it. Isn't that sweet? They are so nice. Yes, the lights, I love them. That keeps my mind occupied.

Sue

Glad it went so smoothly for
    Glad it went so smoothly for you. You will have the routine down in no time! Use your creams, best advice!

Lex♥
  • Ritzy
    Alexis F said:

Glad it went so smoothly for
    Glad it went so smoothly for you. You will have the routine down in no time! Use your creams, best advice!

Lex♥

Thank you Lex. I did put
    Thank you Lex. I did put the aquaphor on last night. They said to not put anything on 4 hours prior to the treatment.

Sue
  • Ritzy
    jnl said:

Hi

Hugs, Leeza

Yea, I have stolen a couple
    Yea, I have stolen a couple of hubby's tshirts. lol That stuff is greasy and it did stain the tshirt already. So, it will be washed, worn and thrown away when I am done with rads.

Sue
  • Ritzy

One over

Hugs!

Thanks survivor. I will use
    Thanks survivor. I will use the creams. I started last night. My radiation oncologist said he would see me 2 or 3 times every week. He is a great guy!

Sue