Options
    j916 said:

Sacramento
    away from the flames

jeanne

Jeanne~
    I just figured out

Jeanne~
    I just figured out your screenname~ I am a little slow on the uptake, but my family is in the 916....

I am in the 805 LOL

Chenheart
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    KathiM said:

Updates from my daughter....
    Redlands is smokey from the Oak Glen fire. There are warnings to stay inside.

But, it seems that this is a yearly or semi-yearly thing. I wish the folks that keep rebuilding will get the idea that this is a fire area, and maybe they should build elsewhere. Either that, or make sure to have a fire-proof room built into the ground under the house to store all the family stuff, etc.

I thought about mountain living at one point, it is so beautiful, but then the Grand Prix fire and others convinced me otherwise...

Hope all is well...I don't get much news in Holland...they all think that the whole state is going up in flames...Here, Greece is on fire, and Spain, too...hummmmm...a grease fire....sorry....

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi,
    Sadly, this time the

Kathi,

Sadly, this time the exaggeration about the state going up in flames is anything but. This is a fire unlike those we have every "fire season" in California. It is the top story on all 3 major network news...not just Paul Moyer on channel 4. It is really, really, really, bad!

We have lived here long enough to laugh at "storm watch" when we get 1/2 an inch of rain on the PCH and Cosentino's nursery are in jeopardy of getting wet! This is nothing like that.

This is a big, bad, frightening conflagration. Not just mountains and valleys this time, but LA in its path.It is really a lot like the fires in Greece~ devastating.

Hold some good thoughts, praying for rain wouldn't hurt either.

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    cats_toy said:

oh these fires...
    the first one was behind our house, that one seems to have moved on, now they are worrying about all those towers on Mt Wilson, they run cells, TV's, emergency radio announcements etc. The Oak Glen fire was close to my mom, then the Yucaipa fire (which they already know was set by a couple of kids!!!) was too close to mom and they told her to evacuate. It is still voluntary, and a couple of her neighbors have decided to stay, so she will too unless they make it mandatory. She was up all night checking, but this morning nothing has changed (except Arnold visited), so hopefully she will not need to leave.
    thanks for all the good wishes, but do not feel bad about not knowing or hearing about the fires, remember, CA fires seem to be so common, the news feeds usually dont bother until someone gets hurt. Two firefighters lost their lives yesterday, and my heart goes out to all of them and their families. Having been through this a few times now, I am forever grateful for these people who put their lives on the line for us. One of the base stations was set up at our park down the street for one of the fires, and I had my husband take them 20 pizzas and about 50 bottles of soda and ice. I felt is was such a small thank you I could do for them, and they were so appreciative it made me feel like I should do even more. So thanks again and I hope everyone of us CA sisters is out of the line of fire.

Cat

Cat,
    I can imagine you being nice enough and caring enough about those firefighters to do that for them. I'm glad that all of you are okay...
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

Cat,
    I can imagine you being nice enough and caring enough about those firefighters to do that for them. I'm glad that all of you are okay...

Patty!!!
    so good to see your smiling face after all these months!
    and thanks for the compliment, but I did feel as if these people really cared about saving lives and homes, it is the least you can do right?
    =^..^=
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Jeanne~
    I just figured out

Jeanne~
    I just figured out your screenname~ I am a little slow on the uptake, but my family is in the 916....

I am in the 805 LOL

Chenheart

HMMMM
    Guess that makes me RE209! :-D
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    RE said:

HMMMM
    Guess that makes me RE209! :-D

Glad you are all ok! It
    Glad you are all ok! It still looks and sounds bad on tv.

Hugs
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Kathi,
    Sadly, this time the

Kathi,

Sadly, this time the exaggeration about the state going up in flames is anything but. This is a fire unlike those we have every "fire season" in California. It is the top story on all 3 major network news...not just Paul Moyer on channel 4. It is really, really, really, bad!

We have lived here long enough to laugh at "storm watch" when we get 1/2 an inch of rain on the PCH and Cosentino's nursery are in jeopardy of getting wet! This is nothing like that.

This is a big, bad, frightening conflagration. Not just mountains and valleys this time, but LA in its path.It is really a lot like the fires in Greece~ devastating.

Hugs,
    Claudia

Oh chen
    I'm glad you are safe, I'm in San Diego (200 miles away) and the sky was grey and orange down here from the fires up there. I know how scary it can be, in 2003 we had the ceder fires here, which literally turned into 3 other fires that were surrounding us on all 3 sides (north, south, and east)

So many people were evactuated that it was crazy and so many homes were lost, the sky was orange it was like a horrible war zone, and we were all advised to stay in the house. My son was born that year, and I was so afraid for him. You could see ash floating in the air, and covering the cars.

It was bad and scary, I'm native to San Diego, and I've never seen anything like that so close to the city, it was even jumping 8 lane freeway.

Please stay safe, God Bless

Aurora
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

So good to know our SoCal sisters are safe...
    With sincere and heartfelt hopes it remains so, for all of you and your loved ones.

Kind regards, Susan

Glad you are all safe!
    Sue

Glad you are all safe!

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Kathi,
    Sadly, this time the

Kathi,

Hugs,
    Claudia

I didn't realize it but they
    I didn't realize it but they said on the news that your fire season hasn't officially even begun yet. And, the Santa Anna winds usually play a big part in the destruction, but, they don't kick in until later in the month. I pray that it doesn't keep on like this and get worse.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Kathi,
    Sadly, this time the

Kathi,

Hugs,
    Claudia

Update us
    You CA women still check in when you can. I know the fires are still bad. We worry about all of you!

Kylez ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    cats_toy said:

oh these fires...
    the first one was behind our house, that one seems to have moved on, now they are worrying about all those towers on Mt Wilson, they run cells, TV's, emergency radio announcements etc. The Oak Glen fire was close to my mom, then the Yucaipa fire (which they already know was set by a couple of kids!!!) was too close to mom and they told her to evacuate. It is still voluntary, and a couple of her neighbors have decided to stay, so she will too unless they make it mandatory. She was up all night checking, but this morning nothing has changed (except Arnold visited), so hopefully she will not need to leave.
    thanks for all the good wishes, but do not feel bad about not knowing or hearing about the fires, remember, CA fires seem to be so common, the news feeds usually dont bother until someone gets hurt. Two firefighters lost their lives yesterday, and my heart goes out to all of them and their families. Having been through this a few times now, I am forever grateful for these people who put their lives on the line for us. One of the base stations was set up at our park down the street for one of the fires, and I had my husband take them 20 pizzas and about 50 bottles of soda and ice. I felt is was such a small thank you I could do for them, and they were so appreciative it made me feel like I should do even more. So thanks again and I hope everyone of us CA sisters is out of the line of fire.

Cat

The fires look horrible. I
    The fires look horrible. I can't imagine living somewhere where that happens. I hope they get it under control soon. Stay safe all of you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Glad you are all ok! It
    Glad you are all ok! It still looks and sounds bad on tv.

Hugs

Suisun City is fine and not
    Suisun City is fine and not near any fires. My prayers are for these fires to be under control soon.
    Stef
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    chenheart said:

Jeanne~
    I just figured out

Jeanne~

I am in the 805 LOL

Chenheart

LOL i got that from my kids...seemed like they had 707 in all their screen names and i couldn't figure it out, then when the cable company ASSIGNED them a name with 707 in it is was like...what's up with 707 up there anyway? Duh mom....it's our area code. LOL