Roll Call: Oldies and Newbies, tell me your weekend plans!!

Options
mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK, everyone, we've had quite a tumultuous few weeks here. Many, many new sisters, anxiety about aches and pains, new scans, MRIs, first chemo treatments, hair falling out...

BUT, there is always the weekend and there is always joy, peace and love to be had. Us "oldies" (it's a relative term, to be sure) want all our new sisters to be gentle with themsleves during treatment. It's far from easy, and you deserve pampering and relaxation right now. So, toward that end, we all need to know: what are your weekend plans??!

This will be a busy weekend for me. On Saturday, I have my personal training session at the gym, as usual. Afterwards, we’ll be doing a massive grocery shopping trip. We have NOTHING in the fridge and my parents are visiting this weekend. They’re very low maintenance, but they still need to eat. After shopping, we need to hightail it home and clean the dickens out of the condo. The parents arrive Saturday evening. We’ll probably make dinner for them that night, maybe do a BBQ on the balcony: fish, vegetables, maybe homemade pizzas, a nice wild rice, salad, fruit, etc.

Sunday, I’ll take them to some DC touristy type stuff. Maybe a few museum exhibitions on Middle Eastern art, or a walk around historic old town near our place. I want to do the “Monuments at Night” tour that evening. The monuments are really best experienced at night, all lit up. We’ll do dinner out Sunday night. I can’t decide whether to take them to a safe-bet Middle Eastern place or something new that they may complain about. Decisions…

Anyway, I am now dying to know: what are YOUR weekend plans?

Mimi

Comments

• padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Hi Mimi
    I live in Laurel, MD. We must be neighbors in the 'burbs! One of my favorite views is driving on the outer loop of the beltway and coming upon the Mormon Temple lit up at night. Have you ever gone to see their Christmas lights? Anyway - no big plans this weekend, if we don't get the rain showers Doug and Topper (DC weathermen) predict, then I'll do some more yard work. Dinner with a friend Saturday and a lazy Sunday. Only work will be laundry and feeding my sweet Sadie-cat! Enjoy your visit with your parents and wear your body armor while in DC - LOL!
    Pat
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Mimi,
    That sounds like a

Mimi,
    That sounds like a very full, but fun weekend for you. Have a nice time with the folks and enjoy the weekend.
    My plans are more sorting, boxing, packing, taking stuff to storage. I am so tired of this, I could just haul everything to the dumps or goodwill but I would still have to do it so that isn't the solution. We are making headway, but it is taking so much time. The one thing that has surprised me is that I am able to be very ruthless in going through stuff. I have 10 huge boxes to sell, have taken a bunch to Mission Solano (Goodwill type of place that helps the homeless), and have only put a few boxes in storage and only have 1 box of stuff to move so far. We work for a few hours then stop, then start, then stop which is good. Kids are coming up this weekend to help which is nice but then the grandkids distract me cause I want to spend all the time playing with them. But it will get done and then we can relax.
    Stef
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Mimi,
    That sounds like a

Mimi,
    That sounds like a very full, but fun weekend for you. Have a nice time with the folks and enjoy the weekend.
    My plans are more sorting, boxing, packing, taking stuff to storage. I am so tired of this, I could just haul everything to the dumps or goodwill but I would still have to do it so that isn't the solution. We are making headway, but it is taking so much time. The one thing that has surprised me is that I am able to be very ruthless in going through stuff. I have 10 huge boxes to sell, have taken a bunch to Mission Solano (Goodwill type of place that helps the homeless), and have only put a few boxes in storage and only have 1 box of stuff to move so far. We work for a few hours then stop, then start, then stop which is good. Kids are coming up this weekend to help which is nice but then the grandkids distract me cause I want to spend all the time playing with them. But it will get done and then we can relax.
    Stef

Weekend
    Thanks for posting this again Mimi! I have missed it! And, have fun this weekend with your parents!

I think Saturday we are going shopping. I need some new fall duds and I am dragging the hubby cause he needs to pay for them. Right? Saturday night, we are just laying around, enjoying a couple of movies and eating pizza and popcorn with a few beers. :) ( i did say a few, didn't i? lol )

On Sunday, we will probably just work in the yard or just lay around and do nothing. Sunday is always just a do what you want kind of day.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Weekend
    Thanks for posting this again Mimi! I have missed it! And, have fun this weekend with your parents!

I think Saturday we are going shopping. I need some new fall duds and I am dragging the hubby cause he needs to pay for them. Right? Saturday night, we are just laying around, enjoying a couple of movies and eating pizza and popcorn with a few beers. :) ( i did say a few, didn't i? lol )

On Sunday, we will probably just work in the yard or just lay around and do nothing. Sunday is always just a do what you want kind of day.

Hugs, Diane ♥

☺♥ Love the Weekends ♥☻
    Saturday - We are going back to our cabin at the lake. We are hoping to be alone and not have company this weekend. I think hubby has been telling people to stay away without my knowledge. So, YEA baby! It is suppose to be absolutely gorgeous weather and we just want to spend time there alone before the big party we are having there Labor Day weekend! Omg, that is just next week!

Sunday - We will still be at the lake till late that evening. I hope we have a long, warm beautiful Fall. The trees at the lake turn such beautiful colors that it almost takes your breath away.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Thanks for this thread Mimi!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    Sounds like you will have a
    Sounds like you will have a fun weekend, Mimi! And a busy one for Steph! Enjoy! Pat Diane and Jeanne your weekends all sound so nice and relaxing! I love popcorn and movie night with my husband. Its one of my favorite things!
    As for me, Saturday night I am going to a concert! You might laugh but I am going to see Def Leppard, Poison and Cheap Trick. I was a huge Def Leppard fan back in the 80's! I had also wanted to go to the Shriner's Cornfest, where my manager at work will be selling some of her art work. I will probably pass on that due to the issues I am having with the feet and ankles.
    Sunday I am going to "brunch" with Maryann at Mimi's cafe. I am excited to meet her in person for the first time.
    Sunday afternoon/evening my cousin from Arkansas will be stopping by.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Happy Weekend!
    Sounds delightful Mimi~ I don't need to tell you to have a fun time, I know you will!

Tomorrow night we are getting together with Reggie's fellow Tribal members and the members of another Tribe for a night of listening to ( and dancing to) traditional Native American singing. Reggie is part of a singing group, and his group is joining with another group of native singers. We will be meeting at the beach, and having a pot luck and when the sun goes down, the singing and dancing in the firelight will begin...it is a lot of fun, and we usually have a huge turnout. I just have to decide what I am taking to the pot-luck....maybe I need to go back to the recipe link!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

☺♥ Love the Weekends ♥☻
    Saturday - We are going back to our cabin at the lake. We are hoping to be alone and not have company this weekend. I think hubby has been telling people to stay away without my knowledge. So, YEA baby! It is suppose to be absolutely gorgeous weather and we just want to spend time there alone before the big party we are having there Labor Day weekend! Omg, that is just next week!

Sunday - We will still be at the lake till late that evening. I hope we have a long, warm beautiful Fall. The trees at the lake turn such beautiful colors that it almost takes your breath away.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Thanks for this thread Mimi!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Weekend Plans
    Hmmmmm try as I might I can't come up with a thing. So I guess I will come clean and admit it will be another weekend at home doing notheing. Boy do I need to get a life.
    tj
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Well, I'm doing nothing.

Well, I'm doing nothing.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Nothing different than
    Nothing different than almost every other weekend. Cleaning stalls, riding, giving lessons to son's GF 2 daughters, going to Commissary (gotta eat) and mowing my yard (crazy as I am - I love to mow!).
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Weekend plans
    I, too, will be doing my normal weekend duties; cleaning and laundry. I think I'll also spend some time reading a good book. I am going to start the weekend, right after work tonight, getting my head shaved. I have been experiencing a tremendous amount of hair loss the last couple of days and was just hoping to make it through today before the clumps start coming out. I figure this way I'll have the weekend to get used to seeing the "new" me. I'm actually kind of sad about all this but it's part of the whole process and I know it's temporary. I normally go to my exercise class on Saturday morning and I'm hoping to do that as well. Maybe a walk on the beach because that always seems to pick up my spirits. You all have a great weekend!!
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Weekend plans
    I, too, will be doing my normal weekend duties; cleaning and laundry. I think I'll also spend some time reading a good book. I am going to start the weekend, right after work tonight, getting my head shaved. I have been experiencing a tremendous amount of hair loss the last couple of days and was just hoping to make it through today before the clumps start coming out. I figure this way I'll have the weekend to get used to seeing the "new" me. I'm actually kind of sad about all this but it's part of the whole process and I know it's temporary. I normally go to my exercise class on Saturday morning and I'm hoping to do that as well. Maybe a walk on the beach because that always seems to pick up my spirits. You all have a great weekend!!

Weekend plans
    I'm cleaning early in the morning and then having a couple of HUGE Oak trees taken down because they are infested with carpenter ants and I don't need those creatures in my house and I don't need one of those trees to come down on my house this winter.

Sunday-church and then retail therapy for Jake for school--sneakers, socks, undies.

Margo
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Weekend plans
    I'm cleaning early in the morning and then having a couple of HUGE Oak trees taken down because they are infested with carpenter ants and I don't need those creatures in my house and I don't need one of those trees to come down on my house this winter.

Sunday-church and then retail therapy for Jake for school--sneakers, socks, undies.

Margo

◄Weekend►
    Tomorrow we are going to some friends for what is getting close to being one of the last cookouts for the summer. I can't believe how fast summer has gone. It has flown by for us. So, fun will be had by all!

Sunday, we will probably lay around and watch movies all day, recuperating from Saturday night. HAHA Our friends and us do have a good time!

Kristin ♥
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    For our precious last few weekends...
    We have 3 left here in The Netherlands.

Tomorrow or Sunday, we will go by train to The Hague for an antique market. It depends on which day the rain doesn't. (lol). We got our new freezer delivered today. It replaces a unit that was using so much electricity, and it was huge, and never did we fill it. So, we will be changing things around to accomodate it.

We also made reservations for our mini trip to Switzerland. I'm VERY excited...never been there.

Today was Hans' mom's birthday. We had forgotten a bit, but many called to share their sympathy (she passed last year, first part of August...sigh...I miss her). There are so many lovely people here.

Hugs, Kathi
  • mimivac
    Options
    padee6339 said:

Hi Mimi
    I live in Laurel, MD. We must be neighbors in the 'burbs! One of my favorite views is driving on the outer loop of the beltway and coming upon the Mormon Temple lit up at night. Have you ever gone to see their Christmas lights? Anyway - no big plans this weekend, if we don't get the rain showers Doug and Topper (DC weathermen) predict, then I'll do some more yard work. Dinner with a friend Saturday and a lazy Sunday. Only work will be laundry and feeding my sweet Sadie-cat! Enjoy your visit with your parents and wear your body armor while in DC - LOL!
    Pat

Neighbors
    Hi Pat, indeed we are close. I'm in Alexandria, VA. I love coming on the Mormon Temple, too. One of my favorite drives is coming from DC into VA at night, with all the monuments lit up by the water. It was a deluge here in DC this afternoon. I hear there's a flood warning until midnight tonight. you and Sadie stay dry!
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    KathiM said:

For our precious last few weekends...
    We have 3 left here in The Netherlands.

Tomorrow or Sunday, we will go by train to The Hague for an antique market. It depends on which day the rain doesn't. (lol). We got our new freezer delivered today. It replaces a unit that was using so much electricity, and it was huge, and never did we fill it. So, we will be changing things around to accomodate it.

We also made reservations for our mini trip to Switzerland. I'm VERY excited...never been there.

Today was Hans' mom's birthday. We had forgotten a bit, but many called to share their sympathy (she passed last year, first part of August...sigh...I miss her). There are so many lovely people here.

Hugs, Kathi

Wow, Kathi....what can top
    Wow, Kathi....what can top your weekend. Sounds lkike fun, and very exciting to see all of the interesting places you mention. Your stay in The Netherlands has been very interesting for all of live vicariously through you. My weekend is just going to be relax and enjoy the good reports I have had this past week. Then will begin planning my packing for Law Vegas for my birthday. That takes lots of planning, as we girls have a pact....no more than one bag each. You really have to think through what you take with you, and try to partner up with others with specific items, i.e. hairdryer, polish, etc. Anyway, glad to have a weekend with my mind free of questions regarding bc. Hope everyone enjoys their days. Hugs.

Judy
  • mimivac
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Weekend

Hugs, Diane ♥

Sundays
    Sounds relaxing, Diane. I know what you mean about Sundays. I try not to schedule anything on those days because I like to stay in Pajamas all day and watch movies and eat. Nothing like a good, lazy Sunday!
  • mimivac
    Options
    elm3544 said:

Sounds like you will have a
    Sounds like you will have a fun weekend, Mimi! And a busy one for Steph! Enjoy! Pat Diane and Jeanne your weekends all sound so nice and relaxing! I love popcorn and movie night with my husband. Its one of my favorite things!
    As for me, Saturday night I am going to a concert! You might laugh but I am going to see Def Leppard, Poison and Cheap Trick. I was a huge Def Leppard fan back in the 80's! I had also wanted to go to the Shriner's Cornfest, where my manager at work will be selling some of her art work. I will probably pass on that due to the issues I am having with the feet and ankles.
    Sunday I am going to "brunch" with Maryann at Mimi's cafe. I am excited to meet her in person for the first time.
    Sunday afternoon/evening my cousin from Arkansas will be stopping by.

80's fest and Maryann!
    Your weekend sounds great, Elm!! Those 80's bands were a staple of my childhood. I still have "The Flame" on my ipod. Isn't that Cheap Trick? Have the greatest time with Maryann. Say hi for us!

Mimi
  • BeachIt
    BeachIt Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Sounds like everyone will be
    Sounds like everyone will be having a fun, relaxing weekend. I am planning on going to camp. Rain is predicted all day Saturday, but I can certainly hope for sunshine! Maybe we will go fourwheeling or boating, depending on the weather. My daughter will be working and I have to find my son before I go, he's 18 and could be anywhere! Just scheduled my surgery today, so I don't think I can detach myself from this too much longer. Hope you all have weekends filled with love, family and friends.
  • mimivac
    Options
    chenheart said:

Happy Weekend!
    Sounds delightful Mimi~ I don't need to tell you to have a fun time, I know you will!

Tomorrow night we are getting together with Reggie's fellow Tribal members and the members of another Tribe for a night of listening to ( and dancing to) traditional Native American singing. Reggie is part of a singing group, and his group is joining with another group of native singers. We will be meeting at the beach, and having a pot luck and when the sun goes down, the singing and dancing in the firelight will begin...it is a lot of fun, and we usually have a huge turnout. I just have to decide what I am taking to the pot-luck....maybe I need to go back to the recipe link!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Claudia,
    that sounds amazing. I can just picture you on the beach, singing and dancing in the firelight. As for the potluck, what kind of food do you usually make? How about something with fresh in-seasons tomatoes, like a gazpacho. Or a watermelon, feta salad? Have a great time with Reggie!

Mimi
  • mimivac
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Weekend plans

MyTurn
    You'll make it through this. Of course you're sad. How are you supposed to feel? Just because the hair loss is temporary does not make it easy. It's extremely tough. Allow yourself to feel sad about it. Be very, very good to yourself this weekend. My best wishes to you. You know, when a few of us here lost our hair at the same time, we all posted a picture of our "naked" heads as our avatars. It helped me to see that we were all in this together. Just a thought.

Mimi