A little lost...

Options
2»

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    WELCOME
    So sorry Nicole that you had to find us. But you have alot of support here in this site. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!! Diane
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options

Army
    That would be nice. I would even go with a transfer to WA so we could be closer to family..but who knows. If I can just find a way to keep him here and not in Iraq for a year, I really don't need to be stressing about him getting shot at hwile I am going through chemo, Lord give a girl a break. ;)

Nicole-welcome!
    You've already been warmly welcomed by many here on the boards, but I'll add mine to the mix anyway.

I'm sorry for the reason you have come, but glad that you have come to this very supportive place--where you make instanteous friends. It's amazing how fast the bond is made between us, and I hope it is one that will last a lifetime.

You have your plate full, even without the bc dx. There are a few others here who have husbands who are in active duty and I'm sure that they will be able to offer you some very practical advice. As for emotional support, all of us are here for you.

It seems as though you caught the bc early, judging by the tumor size, but you will not know anything until after surgery. Being far family is tough, my entire family is down South and it was challenging to go through this with my teen-age daughter and a deafblind husband. My folks are elderly, but both of them made it up here to spend time with me pre and post-op. That meant a lot to me, so I hope your family will be able to come to be with you (if only after surgery and during chemo).

Just a suggestion: If you go to your dr's appt before your husband is deployed, or if you have a good friend in the area, it helps to take someone with you to your dr's appt. You will be given so much info that it's impossible to absorb it all. My mom went with me and she took copious notes and asked questions when I was too self-absorbed to speak much less ask questions. The ACS site has a list of questions to ask and it may be a good idea to check them before going to see your dr for your first appt.

Post whenever you feel up to it and know that we will be with you in spirit every step of the way.
    dmc
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Welcome Nicole
    YOu sure have your hands full...
    I agree with the previous posts that you should see if your husband can stick around until after your treatment is done. This sure sounds like a hardship case to me..I would REALLY pursue that.

Hang in there and post often cuz we are truly all in this together
    Hugs
    LInda T
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Welcome Nicole
    YOu sure have your hands full...
    I agree with the previous posts that you should see if your husband can stick around until after your treatment is done. This sure sounds like a hardship case to me..I would REALLY pursue that.

Hang in there and post often cuz we are truly all in this together
    Hugs
    LInda T

Nicole... Just didn't want
    Nicole... Just didn't want to miss the opportunity to welcome you.. you have come to a great place for answers and a wealth of support!

Hugs

~T
  • Nicole Holm
    Nicole Holm Member Posts: 18
    Options
    taleena said:

Nicole... Just didn't want
    Nicole... Just didn't want to miss the opportunity to welcome you.. you have come to a great place for answers and a wealth of support!

Hugs

~T

You guys are all very
    You guys are all very welcoming and i so appreciate the help. I am hoping we wont have to take drastic measures to get hubs out of deploying, hoping the higher ups dont push the issues, but we'll see. My family is all in Alaska, and we are stationed in GA, sucky. BUT my parents are coming down before surgery and staying for a bit, then handing me off to my sister who will stay for first chemo, then my aunt and cousin and MIL will trek down so i have people coming to help me out. I have great friends here through the army world that will help with my kids, pets, and horses, I am very blessed.
    My little bro is going to shave his head with me and oddly enough my hubby has been bic shaving his head for 5 years..so he's right there with me. My parents and family friends are trying to get fundraisers together in my home town to help with childcare expenses and all that fun stuff. i was told by the ACS that i can get gas cards once I start chemo, again, nice to know its there.
    I am going to my school tomorrow, am supposed to be starting my 4th semester of RN school on Wed, to see if they will work with me at all. i know I will be tired and stuff, but the clinicals is more a worry to me w/ a portacath and having to be around other patients, we will see.
    Off for a hot bath and a good book for now.
    Loves,
    Nicole
  • ritazimm
    ritazimm Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Welcome
    Hi Nicole,

Welcome to our place of refuge. You will see that you can feel free to ask ANYTHING and/or voice your feelings about ANYTHING. This is such a crazy whirlwind time and I hope you will gleen as much information as you need from here. Of course every cancer is different as well as every treatment and reaction being different, but at least you can hear about the many possibilities of what to expect. I think for me, the biggest help has been the mental/emotional help that I have received. I was 18 months into my trip to hell and back before I found these amazing women and I thought that I was insane and that no one really knew how I was feeling (because I was insane). My first night of reading entries on this site, I cried and cried and cried. I was reading things, written by others, that I could have written myself. It was amazing to know that I was not insane, that the feelings and emotions were very common. So.....don't hesitate to say what you feel or ask anything no matter how 'stupid' you think it may look.

I am happy to see that you have such great support from your family, even if they live so far away! Lean on others. They will be honored to help you on this journey.

You'll be in my prayers!
    Rita
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    ritazimm said:

Welcome
    Hi Nicole,

Welcome to our place of refuge. You will see that you can feel free to ask ANYTHING and/or voice your feelings about ANYTHING. This is such a crazy whirlwind time and I hope you will gleen as much information as you need from here. Of course every cancer is different as well as every treatment and reaction being different, but at least you can hear about the many possibilities of what to expect. I think for me, the biggest help has been the mental/emotional help that I have received. I was 18 months into my trip to hell and back before I found these amazing women and I thought that I was insane and that no one really knew how I was feeling (because I was insane). My first night of reading entries on this site, I cried and cried and cried. I was reading things, written by others, that I could have written myself. It was amazing to know that I was not insane, that the feelings and emotions were very common. So.....don't hesitate to say what you feel or ask anything no matter how 'stupid' you think it may look.

I am happy to see that you have such great support from your family, even if they live so far away! Lean on others. They will be honored to help you on this journey.

You'll be in my prayers!
    Rita

Hi Nicole
    I just wanted to welcome you to the boards, and let you know that we are here for you.

There are other women here as well as myself that still have small children in the house and all I can tell you is that they'll get through this with you. I still cringe with my six year old come running at me for a hug. But he understands to becareful with me and so far theres been no injuries :)

I'm really glad to see that your bring so proactve in whats to come, by planing with family, calling the ACS, and getting you childcare in order. Keep that up and you'll be okay.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing.

Aurora ♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Nicole
    Yeah, I like your description: BLAMO! That about sums up a cancer diagnosis. You've got a lot on your plate to consider. Please remember that nothing - at all - is more important than looking after your own health at this time.

Post-op final pathology testing results will fully determine your next steps. Though it can be difficult, chemo is doable. Much will depend on which drugs, combination of, etc. ...

As others have already suggested, contact your local ACS. They can be a wealth of information and support.

Visit us often, whenever you'd like or need to. We'll be here for you.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

Hmm, well that's what I was
    Hmm, well that's what I was told, who knows, maybe it will change.
    Let me know if you ever need some Mary Kay stuff. My unit is in a challenge right now, each consulant to hold 5 parties this and next month and are all donating 10% of party totals to Susan B Kormen Foundation.

Yes, I was instructed to do this, too...
    Because chemo - all types - comprises the immune system.