You have no idea how much this upsets me
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    j916 said:

Very Upset

This information has been
    This information has been around for awhile, as someone said. Talk to your oncologist about switching to another antidepressant if you are also on tamoxifen. Noone wants to double their chance of a recurrence by taking the wrong antidepressant.

Hugs, Noel
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    j916 said:

Very Upset

It is upsetting, J916
    I hope you can find a solution. Like others have posted, there are anti-depressants that don't seem to inhibit Tamoxifen and then there's the option of going on AIs instead. So sorry this has upset you.

Mimi
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

It is upsetting, J916
    I hope you can find a solution. Like others have posted, there are anti-depressants that don't seem to inhibit Tamoxifen and then there's the option of going on AIs instead. So sorry this has upset you.

Mimi

Better to be upset and know
    Better to be upset and know what you are up against so that you can change it and not double your recurrence chance. Thank you so much Mimi for posting this for us. This is info to save our lives!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    mimivac said:

It is upsetting, J916

Mimi

I think the main one or
    I think the main one or mainly the only one is Effexor that they said would be ok. There are probably a couple of others you could switch to if you need something.

Lex
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Venlafaxine (Effexor) seems
    Venlafaxine (Effexor) seems to be the most common one used. I don't know if you've tried it or not. I had posted a link to the Flockhart chart that lists the specific cytochromes some time ago but here is a list of the inhibitors of 2D6.

Strong Inhibitors

bupropion
    fluoxetine
    paroxetine
    quinidine1

Moderate Inhibitors

duloxetine
    terbinafine

Weak Inhibitors

amiodarone
    cimetidine
    sertraline

Others

celecoxib
    chlorpheniramine
    chlorpromazine
    cinacalcet
    citalopram
    clemastine
    clomipramine
    cocaine
    diphenhydramine
    doxepin
    doxorubicin
    escitalopram
    goldenseal
    halofantrine
    histamine H1 receptor antagonists
    hydroxyzine
    levomepromazine
    methadone
    metoclopramide
    mibefradil
    midodrine
    moclobemide
    perphenazine
    ranitidine
    red-haloperidol
    ritonavir
    ticlopidine
    tripelennamine

This is some of it Eil.
    This is some of it Eil.

Lex
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    mimivac said:

It is upsetting, J916

Mimi

Thanks Mimi for bringing
    Thanks Mimi for bringing this up again. So many survivors don't seem to know about this. And, every bc survivor should know that is on tamox and an antidepressant. Doubling your chance of a recurrance while on certain antidepressants and tamox is something we all need to know and need to discuss with our oncologist.
  • phillis313
    phillis313 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    jnl said:

Thanks Mimi for bringing
    Thanks Mimi for bringing this up again. So many survivors don't seem to know about this. And, every bc survivor should know that is on tamox and an antidepressant. Doubling your chance of a recurrance while on certain antidepressants and tamox is something we all need to know and need to discuss with our oncologist.

Anti-depressants
    WOW! I was just browsing the boards and came upon this because I do feel depressed now and then and wondered if there was a connection with Tamoxifen. When I look at this, I'm amazed at how many women are on anti-depressants. I'm really not wanting to go that route...especially after reading this. Is it the desease or the treatment that causes the depression??? I'll pray my husband can put up with my moods for the next 5 years while on Tamox. I think I'm going to try exercise, healthy eating, and prayer.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Anti-depressants
    WOW! I was just browsing the boards and came upon this because I do feel depressed now and then and wondered if there was a connection with Tamoxifen. When I look at this, I'm amazed at how many women are on anti-depressants. I'm really not wanting to go that route...especially after reading this. Is it the desease or the treatment that causes the depression??? I'll pray my husband can put up with my moods for the next 5 years while on Tamox. I think I'm going to try exercise, healthy eating, and prayer.

There have been several
    There have been several studies that have proven that tamox mixed with certain antidepressants will double your chance of having a recurrence. If you need antidepressants, just make sure which ones are safe while on tamox. If you don't need anti's, that is great!

Leeza
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

There have been several
    There have been several studies that have proven that tamox mixed with certain antidepressants will double your chance of having a recurrence. If you need antidepressants, just make sure which ones are safe while on tamox. If you don't need anti's, that is great!

Leeza

upsetting ...
    Yes ... I too find this all very upsetting and unsettling. I take wellbutrin in the morning and zoloft at night ... and I really don't want to even think about messing around with what I'm taking. I've been on several antidepressants and it usually takes awhile to figure out what works ... and now that I know what works the thought of going off of it or changing prescriptions ... so I can take tamoxifin is frightening. I'm 65 ... so I'm honestly thinking of sticking with the antidepressants and not taking tamoxifin. Will certainly talk to the oncologist on my next visit.

hugs.
    teena
  • DianeBC
    Options
    tgf said:

upsetting ...
    Yes ... I too find this all very upsetting and unsettling. I take wellbutrin in the morning and zoloft at night ... and I really don't want to even think about messing around with what I'm taking. I've been on several antidepressants and it usually takes awhile to figure out what works ... and now that I know what works the thought of going off of it or changing prescriptions ... so I can take tamoxifin is frightening. I'm 65 ... so I'm honestly thinking of sticking with the antidepressants and not taking tamoxifin. Will certainly talk to the oncologist on my next visit.

hugs.
    teena

Yes, Teena, talk to your
    Yes, Teena, talk to your oncologist. You don't want to double your chance of a recurrence. I am not on an antidepressant, but, I am still thinking of not taking tamox, just because of the side effects. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Yes, Teena, talk to your
    Yes, Teena, talk to your oncologist. You don't want to double your chance of a recurrence. I am not on an antidepressant, but, I am still thinking of not taking tamox, just because of the side effects. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥

What they don't mention in
    What they don't mention in the article is that if you metabolize Tamoxifen too fast "ultra metabolizer" then these very antidepressants can very well save your life. The media has been focusing on those that aren't metabolizing Tam but are not mentioning those at the opposite end of the scale where they metabolize Tam too fast. In the end it's really good to be tested so you know where you stand. There are ultra (too fast), extensive (normal) intermediate (some malfunction) and poor (very little or none) as mentioned on the websites of dnadirect.com and www.healthanddna.com (genelex). Both have specific info on Tamoxifen.

jan
  • DianeBC
    Options

What they don't mention in the article is that if you metabolize Tamoxifen too fast "ultra metabolizer" then these very antidepressants can very well save your life. The media has been focusing on those that aren't metabolizing Tam but are not mentioning those at the opposite end of the scale where they metabolize Tam too fast. In the end it's really good to be tested so you know where you stand. There are ultra (too fast), extensive (normal) intermediate (some malfunction) and poor (very little or none) as mentioned on the websites of dnadirect.com and www.healthanddna.com (genelex). Both have specific info on Tamoxifen.

jan

Thanks Jan!

♥ Hugs, Diane ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    DianeBC said:

Thanks Jan!

♥ Hugs, Diane ♥

I hope that anyone who is on
    I hope that anyone who is on an antidepressant and who is on tamoxifen or will be starting tamox does have a long talk with their oncologist. Taking wellbutrin, zoloft, prozac, paxil or the other antidepressants mentioned are not worth doubling your chance of a recurrence. I am not aware of a sidekick to tamox, except the Al's. I think there are 3 antidepressants that are considered safer to take with tamox. Just get all of the info.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

jan

Great info, Jan
    There is another side to everything, isn't there? I never considered that some people may metabolize Tamoxifen too quickly and that these anti-depressants may actually help for those people. Wow. I guess the lesson here is that you need ALL the information -- both which anti-depressants do what and what kind of metabolizer you are. Many thanks for this.

Mimi
  • KAF
    KAF Member Posts: 16
    Options
    mimivac said:

Great info, Jan
    There is another side to everything, isn't there? I never considered that some people may metabolize Tamoxifen too quickly and that these anti-depressants may actually help for those people. Wow. I guess the lesson here is that you need ALL the information -- both which anti-depressants do what and what kind of metabolizer you are. Many thanks for this.

Mimi

Paxil and Tamoxafin
    Hi All,
    I have been on Paxil and Tamoxafin for a year now. 3 Weeks ago I read an article in a magazine that you can't take these two together. Well now, that's a fine how do you do. Why didn't one of my doctors let me know this. I went to the oncologists office and he was out, so I ask the nurse about it, and she said no, you can't take them together. After being very upset over this, I played doctor on my own and I stopped taking Paxil right away. I know your suppose to wean yourself off of this stuff, but I didn't. So my symptons have been light headed and nauseated (sp). In October I have an app. with my surgeon and Oncologist, and I'm going to find out why they never told me that. Even the pharmasist should of picked up on that. By the way, you have a very nice friendly board here. Wish I came across this a year ago. Take care, thanks for listening
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    KAF said:

Paxil and Tamoxafin
    Hi All,
    I have been on Paxil and Tamoxafin for a year now. 3 Weeks ago I read an article in a magazine that you can't take these two together. Well now, that's a fine how do you do. Why didn't one of my doctors let me know this. I went to the oncologists office and he was out, so I ask the nurse about it, and she said no, you can't take them together. After being very upset over this, I played doctor on my own and I stopped taking Paxil right away. I know your suppose to wean yourself off of this stuff, but I didn't. So my symptons have been light headed and nauseated (sp). In October I have an app. with my surgeon and Oncologist, and I'm going to find out why they never told me that. Even the pharmasist should of picked up on that. By the way, you have a very nice friendly board here. Wish I came across this a year ago. Take care, thanks for listening

Hi KAF and welcome! Yes,
    Hi KAF and welcome! Yes, your oncologist and your pharmacist should have told you about this. Paxil is one of the antidepressants that can double your chance of a recurrence if taken with tamoxifen, which I would think, would make the oncologist let you know this or just not prescribe it for you. Hope your appt. goes well with your surgeon and oncologist.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

Hi KAF and welcome! Yes,
    Hi KAF and welcome! Yes, your oncologist and your pharmacist should have told you about this. Paxil is one of the antidepressants that can double your chance of a recurrence if taken with tamoxifen, which I would think, would make the oncologist let you know this or just not prescribe it for you. Hope your appt. goes well with your surgeon and oncologist.

Welcome KAF to the site. I
    Welcome KAF to the site. I am sorry that your oncologist didn't tell you this. It seems a lot don't. I don't know if they don't know or what the deal is. But, it is really taking a chance with your life if they know and don't inform you. I hope they give you one of the 3 that supposedly won't hurt you with tamox.
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options

Welcome KAF to the site. I
    Welcome KAF to the site. I am sorry that your oncologist didn't tell you this. It seems a lot don't. I don't know if they don't know or what the deal is. But, it is really taking a chance with your life if they know and don't inform you. I hope they give you one of the 3 that supposedly won't hurt you with tamox.

AD changed
    My doctor changed my wellbutrin to effexor....now i'm going through the med change process, which is such a fun thing ugh...but well worth it in the long run, right? thank you all for this information....life saving information.
    Jeanne
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    j916 said:

AD changed
    My doctor changed my wellbutrin to effexor....now i'm going through the med change process, which is such a fun thing ugh...but well worth it in the long run, right? thank you all for this information....life saving information.
    Jeanne

Good luck to you. Yes, this
    Good luck to you. Yes, this is life saving information. I hope everyone is aware of it.

♠♥ Noel ♠♥