Options
2»

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

What my Onc told me....
    I was one who as soon as I found out I was ER/PR possitive, I immediately gathered all the info I could on nutrition. I also switched to hormone free meat (more expensive but taste better) and eliminated ALL soy from my diet. My husband and I went on an "organic shopping spree". Because this is what I thought I had to do.
    Within one week, I had all of five foods that I could tolerate and was at the end of my rope!! There was NOTHING I could eat!! I was sure that I would die from starvation. Then reasoned if THAT was going to happen anyway.....I might as well eat anything and everything my little heart desired!!! Hence the reason I had to start the "greatest loser" contest. Trust me when I say I ate ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!!!
    When I finally got to my Doctor, this is what I was told.
    You can not eliminate ALL soy from your diet, it is impossible. Just try to SLOWLY make some changes. Like if it is the last couple ingredients on the label, then your good to go. Just don't go out actively seeking soy milk, tufu, etc.
    Also, do not ingest grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking tamoxifen. It will counteract the medicine.
    Also, try to eat a healthy diet and maintain a normal weight (yes, due to the fat cells which you can not lessen the amount of, since you are born with a certain amount you have your whole life, you can only shrink the size of the ones you already have. Excluding liposuction patients).
    Finally.....forget all the other things like organic or hormone free. This is a diet for someone who has chosen not to have treatment and take a holistic approach. If you want to incorporate this into your diet, fine, but it may not be worth the stress. Almost anything you put into your body can cause or help to prevent a host of diseases and illnesses depending on how your body reacts. People tend to forget that age will play the biggest factor in what happens to us and is unavoidable.
    She told me I am doing exactly what I should be doing through the treatments to fight my disease that I should not deprive myself of an easy, peaceful, satisfying diet.
    I just love her!!
    So we left her office, stopped at the store on the way home and I pigged out on Chunky Monkey for an hour!! Ate the whole thing!! And it was good!! :) Pammy

Basically, it comes down to
    Basically, it comes down to this ONE thing. You cannot eliminate soy from your entire diet. You will be eating it in some form and you won't even know it. Any oncologist will tell you this. Just watch it, and avoid the ones that you know for a fact are high in soy. Use common sense.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

Basically, it comes down to
    Basically, it comes down to this ONE thing. You cannot eliminate soy from your entire diet. You will be eating it in some form and you won't even know it. Any oncologist will tell you this. Just watch it, and avoid the ones that you know for a fact are high in soy. Use common sense.

You can't eliminate all soy
    You can't eliminate all soy from your diet or you would be only drinking water, and, who knows what it has in it? lol If an oncologist tells you to avoid soy, he needs to explain to you that you CAN"T avoid all soy. Just be sensible, read labels and don't eat or drink the obvious when it says contains SOY.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

What my Onc told me....
    I was one who as soon as I found out I was ER/PR possitive, I immediately gathered all the info I could on nutrition. I also switched to hormone free meat (more expensive but taste better) and eliminated ALL soy from my diet. My husband and I went on an "organic shopping spree". Because this is what I thought I had to do.
    Within one week, I had all of five foods that I could tolerate and was at the end of my rope!! There was NOTHING I could eat!! I was sure that I would die from starvation. Then reasoned if THAT was going to happen anyway.....I might as well eat anything and everything my little heart desired!!! Hence the reason I had to start the "greatest loser" contest. Trust me when I say I ate ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!!!
    When I finally got to my Doctor, this is what I was told.
    You can not eliminate ALL soy from your diet, it is impossible. Just try to SLOWLY make some changes. Like if it is the last couple ingredients on the label, then your good to go. Just don't go out actively seeking soy milk, tufu, etc.
    Also, do not ingest grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking tamoxifen. It will counteract the medicine.
    Also, try to eat a healthy diet and maintain a normal weight (yes, due to the fat cells which you can not lessen the amount of, since you are born with a certain amount you have your whole life, you can only shrink the size of the ones you already have. Excluding liposuction patients).
    Finally.....forget all the other things like organic or hormone free. This is a diet for someone who has chosen not to have treatment and take a holistic approach. If you want to incorporate this into your diet, fine, but it may not be worth the stress. Almost anything you put into your body can cause or help to prevent a host of diseases and illnesses depending on how your body reacts. People tend to forget that age will play the biggest factor in what happens to us and is unavoidable.
    She told me I am doing exactly what I should be doing through the treatments to fight my disease that I should not deprive myself of an easy, peaceful, satisfying diet.
    I just love her!!
    So we left her office, stopped at the store on the way home and I pigged out on Chunky Monkey for an hour!! Ate the whole thing!! And it was good!! :) Pammy

Chunky Monkey
    sounds like good medicine! That's funny Pammy-it's something I would probably do!
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump
    x
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Bump
    x