New Dx last week

Options
traceyt
traceyt Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi to all
I first have to say I am so happy to have found a positive discussion board I have "lurked" on other sites and have found them to be not as positive. From the few discussions I have read it seems this is a good fit for how I am choosing to fight this, with a positive upbeat attitude! Last month I went in for my regular yearly check up and with my 40th birthday right around the corner my Dr sent me for my first Mammo to which they discovered calcifications in my right breast after a steriotactic biopsy the results came back DCIS at this point the surgeon seems confident that it is not yet invasive and I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on Monday. As I am sure everyone here has went through my emotions have been all over the board, I find myself on the computer trying to research everything I can and become terrified when I read things that could happen. I really want to stop all that and focus on the positive up side of things and it seems I found that here. I really look forward to getting to know all of you better :) Hugs to all
TT

Comments

• JoMama54
    JoMama54 Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome TT, but I am sorry for your need to seek us out. All the survivors here are very warm and understanding and can help with your fight. Just keep your positive up side.
    Hugs to you, JoMama
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Stay off the internet (except for here)
    Welcome, Tracey -

First of all, I think all the *rest* of you should change your names to Tracey/Tracy/Traci, as it is clearly a superior name! :-)

I also just turned 40, had my first baseline mammogram, found calcifications, had a stereotactic biopsy (is that like a circus sideshow, or what?), and had bilateral lumpectomies 5 weeks ago. So I'm right there with you -- please ask all the questions you want!

And I can't recommend strongly enough that you STAY OFF THE INTERNET (except for this board, of course) at this point. The things you find will scare you ***tless. Both my surgeon and my oncologist absolutely forbade me to go to any site except for the American Cancer Society site, which I really did find to be extremely helpful.

Traci
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    JoMama54 said:

Welcome
    Welcome TT, but I am sorry for your need to seek us out. All the survivors here are very warm and understanding and can help with your fight. Just keep your positive up side.
    Hugs to you, JoMama

Tracey
    We welcome you with open hearts and many cyber hugs. Although none of us wanted to be here ... on a discussion board for breast cancer ... we are here and we are all in this together. We are here to share our experiences, knowledge, fears and concerns. Please feel free to share whatever is on your mind ... questions you have etc. We are here 24/7 ... or at least it seems that way. Since we are from all over the place ... not just the United States ... with all of those time-zones ... and people who can't sleep nights and end up on the computer ... it seems that there's always someone here ... which is a very comforting feeling.

Even though few of us have met any others in person ... we have become a family. Some visit more than others ... but we are all here to support each other.

hugs.
    teena
  • traceyt
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Stay off the internet (except for here)
    Welcome, Tracey -

First of all, I think all the *rest* of you should change your names to Tracey/Tracy/Traci, as it is clearly a superior name! :-)

I also just turned 40, had my first baseline mammogram, found calcifications, had a stereotactic biopsy (is that like a circus sideshow, or what?), and had bilateral lumpectomies 5 weeks ago. So I'm right there with you -- please ask all the questions you want!

And I can't recommend strongly enough that you STAY OFF THE INTERNET (except for this board, of course) at this point. The things you find will scare you ***tless. Both my surgeon and my oncologist absolutely forbade me to go to any site except for the American Cancer Society site, which I really did find to be extremely helpful.

Traci

Traci
    It really is a great name, right! I am going to stay off the net now that I found all of you guys! Will you have to do rads? Surgeon thought I would do rads & tamoxifen but I havent met with an onc yet
    It is so comforting to know there is a whole sisterhood here
    ((hugs)) TT
  • traceyt
    Options
    JoMama54 said:

Welcome
    Hugs to you, JoMama

great photo
    JoMama great photo it brings a smile to my face :) Thanks for the warm welcome
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Although I wish you did not have a need to be here I am very glad you found us since you do. It is quite scary I agree, but it is doable and we most certainly will be here for you!

Hugs to our newest Survivor!!!

RE
  • faithandprayer
    faithandprayer Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hey Tracey!
    Welcome! We share many things in common, including that I am also 39! Good idea not to google around - waaaaaay too much information, much of which is inaccurate or often does not apply.

The wisdom around these boards is incredible. The compassion will pull you through your darkest moments. And, even the old threads have immense value. Glad you are here. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Hope is always present!
    KC
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Welcome TT
    I'm so glad you found us!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you have the right attitude, I just wish that you had come here first to we could of told you to stay away from ther internet!(LOL)

But seriously there are some good sites out there and the ladies here can help you find those. Everytime they make mention of one I copy and paste it to a notepad that I keep saved on my desktop top, that way I know where to go and read what I need to know. I'm not to good at research.......anyway

You'll find very loving and suppoetive women(and men)here so come back often, and share your experiences, tell a joke, ask a question, or just plain vent when you need too. We'll be here for you.

And good luck with you surgury next Monday, it sounds like you found it early and that's a good thing. I also had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago, but mine was more invasive though so I have to have a re-incission tomorrow. I'm sure it's going to be Okay. I choose to think as positively as I can too. Today's it's working but sometimes it doesn't and that's went I ask for support here. Hope you will do the same.

Nice to meet you

Aurora
  • RealizeHope
    RealizeHope Member Posts: 1
    Options

Welcome TT
    I'm so glad you found us!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you have the right attitude, I just wish that you had come here first to we could of told you to stay away from ther internet!(LOL)

But seriously there are some good sites out there and the ladies here can help you find those. Everytime they make mention of one I copy and paste it to a notepad that I keep saved on my desktop top, that way I know where to go and read what I need to know. I'm not to good at research.......anyway

You'll find very loving and suppoetive women(and men)here so come back often, and share your experiences, tell a joke, ask a question, or just plain vent when you need too. We'll be here for you.

And good luck with you surgury next Monday, it sounds like you found it early and that's a good thing. I also had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago, but mine was more invasive though so I have to have a re-incission tomorrow. I'm sure it's going to be Okay. I choose to think as positively as I can too. Today's it's working but sometimes it doesn't and that's went I ask for support here. Hope you will do the same.

Nice to meet you

Aurora

You have the Key: Being positive
    I'm glad you found this website. We are your cheerleaders. Belief is a powerful tool, so continue to be positive. You are an inspiration.

Many blessings to all.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Wecome TT
    Just wanted to add my welcome as well. I will be the first one to tell you (since I stayed up 3 days/nights in a row doing it) that surfing the internet will not only scare you to death, it will pull you down faster than a sinking abyss. I am an extremely optimistic and upbeat person, but thought I was a duster at the end of 72 hrs. And we're not talking swiffer sweeper here. So stay with us (you'll definitly get to know us!) and we will walk with you through your journey. Hugs back to you. :) Pammy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    traceyt said:

Traci
    It really is a great name, right! I am going to stay off the net now that I found all of you guys! Will you have to do rads? Surgeon thought I would do rads & tamoxifen but I havent met with an onc yet
    It is so comforting to know there is a whole sisterhood here
    ((hugs)) TT

Hugs back at you
    My tumors were teeny tiny but invasive, so I was given the choice of doing chemo, and decided to go ahead with it. So I'll do chemo first (most likely starting next week), then radiation, then Tamoxifen.

Traci
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Tracey
    I am glad you found us, I know this board has been a saving grace for me. I was also researching everything right after my diagnosis, when I found this group of amazingly supportive and loving sisters (and a bro or two)

It is a very emotional time, and i'm glad you have that positive attitude. That will help so much. It sounds like you caught it very early, That is very good news.
    hugs, jackie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Hi Traceyt and Welcome! So
    Hi Traceyt and Welcome! So sorry for your diagnosis. This site is great as you will find. There are some other good sites out there. The Susan B. Komen site is good and breastcancer.org is also. My oncologist recommended them along with this one. But, mainly rely on what your oncologist tells you. If you have questions, ask him. After all, he is the one that will be treating you. Good luck to you and keep us updated!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    rjjj said:

Tracey
    I am glad you found us, I know this board has been a saving grace for me. I was also researching everything right after my diagnosis, when I found this group of amazingly supportive and loving sisters (and a bro or two)

It is a very emotional time, and i'm glad you have that positive attitude. That will help so much. It sounds like you caught it very early, That is very good news.
    hugs, jackie

Hi Tracey. Just want to
    Hi Tracey. Just want to welcome you to the board here. You will find that everyone is very supportive and understanding and will help you in anyway that they can.

Keep a positive attitude!

Hugs, Leeza
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Lumpectomy
    Best wishes and prayers to you. I can share my story........I had a lumpectomy two months ago, with three sentinel lymph nodes removed. I had invasive ductual carcinoma..went from Stage I to stage II on the table, due to the size......2.2cm, which is less than an inch. It was larger than the tests showed. I had clear, clean margins and no lymph node involvement, thankfully. I had the wire needle localization that morning, not a big deal, and I had worried more about that then the surgery itself.....I had the 4 radioactive injections around the nipple before surgery.......that wasn't awful either, as they used a spray numbing agent before each injection. The surgery itself wasn't bad at all I promise! It was done at 1:00 PM, I was awake in recovery at 2:30 and home, on my couch by 4:15! I can honestly say, I had no real pain to speak of,(I took the pain meds that were prescribed, religiously every 4 hours) no external sutures, I had "super glue" so there was nothing to have removed. Probably the most uncomfortable part was the incision to remove the 3 sentinel lymph nodes, that bothered me more than the incision for the lumpectomy. It was very tender. My breast stayed hypersensitive for about 4 weeks, but that's gone now, completely. I have had two chemo infusions with the third coming up Monday then one more in August. Then in September I start 6 1/2 weeks of daily radiation. Physically I feel pretty good, just tired a lot.
    All this after having had a mammogram and ultrasound in December 08 and I found this myself in March 09........3 stinking months later! Oh well, thankfully I do self breast exams.

Again, I wish you well!
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Internet sites
    Yes, I agree with staying off the internet sites.

One of the sites said that DCIS is not a form of cancer. The reasoning is becuase it's non-invasive and you typically won't need chemo or radiation.

I wish I could find who put that statement out and ask them WHY DID I HAVE TO LOOSE MY BOOBS? Was I just looking for sympathy? I think not.....

Ok, I'm done venting.....thanks!

Jill
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

You have the Key: Being positive
    I'm glad you found this website. We are your cheerleaders. Belief is a powerful tool, so continue to be positive. You are an inspiration.

Many blessings to all.

Welcome, RealizeHope
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    jikaras said:

Internet sites
    Yes, I agree with staying off the internet sites.

One of the sites said that DCIS is not a form of cancer. The reasoning is becuase it's non-invasive and you typically won't need chemo or radiation.

I wish I could find who put that statement out and ask them WHY DID I HAVE TO LOOSE MY BOOBS? Was I just looking for sympathy? I think not.....

Ok, I'm done venting.....thanks!

Jill

Welcome to the board here!
    Welcome to the board here! There is a lot of scary stuff out on the internet, but, there are a lot of good sites too. Mayo, Susan B. Komens, cancer.org, and others. But, just be careful. Mainly, go to your oncologist for the right info that suits you.

Good luck!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, TT
    Glad you found us, glad to have you. Yes, exactly, we are a very positive group - all here to support and encourage each other. Yet, we're also here to share the setbacks, curveballs, difficulties, you name it.

As others have already stated, please - you MUST limit, at the very least, your "googling"!!! Reason: there is an awful lot of "junk" info out there, maybe just as much - if not more - as is credible. Almost immediately after diagnosis - my nurse provided a list of recommended sites, and strongly warned against all others. This site - the American Cancer Society - is excellent. A few suggestions specific to BC: the Susan Komen Foundation, breastcancer.org, etc. Be particularly wary of ANY site that attempts to SELL "the miracle cure" via the internet!

The entire experience is so very difficult as it is. Please don't frighten yourself needlessly about things that MAY happen - because they might not apply to you, at all. The journey can only be travelled one step at a time. As hard as it may be, that's the best advice I can share with you at this point. Focus on getting through your surgery on Monday, your next step - and, a big one. Final post-surgery pathology results will determine what's next, for sure, and not until.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to. Someone's always here - lots of "night owls" within this bunch!

Best wishes for the best possible outcome from your surgery on Monday. Please do keep us posted, when you can.
  • suprbat
    suprbat Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I am also recently diagnosed with DCIS
    I have been reading a lot about what people have been posting and I have to say that it is very comforting to me as well. Because it's so early stage I actually felt foolish for a while thinking I need a support group. I think it was just because I was in a little bit of denial. My lumpectomy is scheduled for August 24 and internal radiation immediately after and I'm not sure what I'm actually afraid of. I have a wonderful positive attitude but it is overwhelming. Thank you for being here.