Options
2»

Comments

• SMR013069
    SMR013069 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Noel said:

Hi Traci and welcome! It
    Hi Traci and welcome! It seems everyone has told you what they did. You do whatever makes you feel comfortable. And, if someone stares, don't always think of it as a bad thing. Maybe, you are just so beautiful without hair, that they are envious! Good luck!

Hi Traci, I had very long
    Hi Traci, I had very long hair and was really afraid of how I would handle it if it started coming out in clumps.....so I shaved it the first week after I had chemo, before it could fall out. I have a three year old so I was worried how he would handle things like a wig and his response was "momma your new hair is beautiful". So you just never know how people will handle things. I actually found out that under all that hair I had a really cute little bald head. I only wear my wig at work. Around the house I wear scarves and dont wear anything to bed. I wear scarves out to the store and things like that and have never really had anyone make any comments or gotten any stares. Like everyone said, just do what makes you comfortable, Good luck! Sara
  • lynnetteflowers
    lynnetteflowers Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hair returning
    Hi I am new to the group. Everybody sounds so positive.that is so nice. I am a little scared about hair returning. I have seen some things on the internet that are scary about hair not returning after taxotere. Has anyone else seen this report?I did call the American cancer Society and they are looking into it. I hope I am not scaring anyone else, I am almost afraid to write this, but I am just wondering if anyone knows anything.Thank you.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options

Hair returning
    Hi I am new to the group. Everybody sounds so positive.that is so nice. I am a little scared about hair returning. I have seen some things on the internet that are scary about hair not returning after taxotere. Has anyone else seen this report?I did call the American cancer Society and they are looking into it. I hope I am not scaring anyone else, I am almost afraid to write this, but I am just wondering if anyone knows anything.Thank you.

Mine grew back in. First it
    Mine grew back in. First it was curly and then gradually straightened out and now is exactly like it was before chemo. Same color and thick.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

Hair returning

Welcome, lynnetteflowers
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. Glad to have you.

I have never heard of hair NOT returning after chemo-induced loss. And, I'm wondering if the information you've read is from a reputable site? (Because there's an awful lot of junk on the internet - please, be cautious!)

Also, there are many other reasons for alopecia - the medical term for hair loss (not chemo-induced). For example: stress (gee, cancer is stressful!), vitamin deficiencies (which can happen during chemo due to eating/good diet difficulties), etc. ...

Please don't worry needlessly. And, please share what you find out via the ACS.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Hair returning

Hi Lynnette! Just want to
    Hi Lynnette! Just want to welcome you.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Hi Lynnette! Just want to
    Hi Lynnette! Just want to welcome you.

Hair returning after Taxotere
    Lynnette,

I have a co-worker who did Cytoxan & Taxotere last year, and her hair has grown back in very close to how it was before. I will be doing the same Cytoxan/Taxotere cocktail she did, and my oncologist told me that my hair loss will only be temporary.

Traci
  • Pamela A
    Pamela A Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Taxotere and Cytoxan - Eyebrows and Eyelash loss
    Hello All - Just found this site and it has great information. I had by last round of 4 TC treatments (every 3 wks) last week. I lost most of my hair after the first treatment. I still have my eyelashes and eyebrows. For those of you who have already been through TC treatment did you retain your lashes and brows or will I still likely lose them?

I realize this should be a minor part of the whole process - but was wondering what to expect. :-)

Thanks!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    Good question, Pamela. I
    Good question, Pamela. I wonder, too. I have had 3 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxin. Today would have been my final treatment but it was postponed. I still have eyebrows and lashes AND I still have to shave, just not as often.
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Options
    elm3544 said:

Good question, Pamela. I
    Good question, Pamela. I wonder, too. I have had 3 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxin. Today would have been my final treatment but it was postponed. I still have eyebrows and lashes AND I still have to shave, just not as often.

Handling hair loss
    I will being getting my third round of cytoxan and taxotere this week (ughh!). The hair on my head is completely gone, my eyebrows have gotten very thin, and I have a few lashes left. Strangely, I still have to shave my legs-- doesn't seem right, does it? Jane
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Welcome, Traci
    We're all here to support and encourage each. So, again, welcome.

Dealing with chemo-induced hair loss is a very personal choice - each patient needs to select whatever method provides the most comfort, on many levels. I, too, bought* cute hats and scarves (and got many as presents). Since I live in the Midwest and was hairless during autumn and winter (i.e., very cold weather) - I needed the headcoverings for warmth. By the time the weather warmed enough in spring - I had about a 1/2" of hair (not much) on my head. So, tucked a few of the hats and scarves - my favorites - away, and donated all the rest.

I would never, ever stare at a bald woman! I'd smile at her! It's not about what the "public" thinks, it's all about how you feel.

One of our veteran members, cats_toy/Cat, spent her hairless days sans headcovering. Like you, she's from a year-round warm climate. She'll probably post here, too.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to.

(* Within this group - shopping is considered Retail Therapy!)

I feel the same way, I'd
    I feel the same way, I'd give her a hug instead.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    BunnyJane said:

Handling hair loss
    I will being getting my third round of cytoxan and taxotere this week (ughh!). The hair on my head is completely gone, my eyebrows have gotten very thin, and I have a few lashes left. Strangely, I still have to shave my legs-- doesn't seem right, does it? Jane

And more hair loss
    I'm doing 4 rounds of Cytoxan/Taxotere, three weeks apart. I just had my 2nd round last week, and my oncologist specifically told me that most women on this regimen will reach "maximum hair loss" 2 weeks after the 2nd round.

I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes -- so, if I haven't lost them by about a week from now, it's likely that I'll keep them.

And oh Jane, I'm right there with you -- I keep yelling at my oncologist, "Why am I bald as a baby, yet still have to #$%*& shave my legs?!?"

Traci
  • Here_I_go_again
    Options
    Bald is Wonderful!
    Hi Traci,

I'm just starting my BC journey but I am a seven year survivor of Ovarian Cancer. Prior to my chemo I read as much as I could on what to expect and the material recommended going out prior to losing your hair and getting a wig or two - so that's what I did. Well, I wore them once or twice and thought forget it! I live in hot summer weather also and they were just too uncomfortable. So we had a shaving party and let me tell you it is SO WONDERFULLY COMFORTABLE to go bald. I did enjoy getting cute little hats and scarves and would wear them but mostly went bald. I really can say I didn't really notice anyone staring. However, I did have wonderful strangers come up to me and ask how I was doing which was really nice. It's a little weird to lose the eyelashes and eyebrows but - hey! - no shaving for the duration of chemo - that was GREAT! With my chemo I was cold quite a bit of the time and found that an extra soft knit cap kept my head warm at night - even in the summer, so you might look for one, or wait to see if you have the same need.

You hang in there Traci - we have to always look for the positive and enjoy what we can of our experience. So have fun being bald, beautiful, brave, and fight this awful disease.

Hugs to you,

Kathy
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

Hi Traci, welcome to the
    Hi Traci, welcome to the board and so sorry you are going through this. My hair was quite long and as I approached the 14th day I had it cut short and then as my scalp started to bother me I had it shaved. I cried. It wasn't so much that I was losing my hair but what it represented. Another cancer patient. It really started to sink in about then as I remembered seeing women without hair and thinking I wasn't going to get BC. Ha!!!
    Anyways, it was winter here in the Canadian north and so I froze. I was surprised at how my long hair had always kept my neck and head warm. I wore knitted hats and scarves until it grew back enough to go public. By that time it was mar/apr and somewhat warmer.

I tell you, I miss it now. Hair is a pain. My husband couldn't walk by without giving it a rub like I was a genie and as a matter of fact, I liked rubbing it too. Showers were real quick and easy. I never had a rude comment. People looked but it didn't bother me as a matter of fact I understood why they would look. If you decide to go nude don't forget the sunscreen as I'm sure the chemo can make you more sensitive to the sun.

Best of luck to you and remember we are here for you.

hugs
    jan

Jan
    I feel the same way-hair is a pain!! That was one of the things I loved about not having any-a little soap,a quick rinse off and I was ready to go. Now even though I'm finally getting the hair do I've always wanted-at times it is back to bad hair days!And once you start having to shave those legs again,it's like laundry and dishes-forever having to do them...uugghhh!!
    I did get some"oh honey,how are you doing?" from strangers,but I think most people either ignored me or most of my friends would just encourage me to go bald. My surgeon's assistant was the best-she always told me how beautiful I was and tried to encourage me to go bald and start a "new style"!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Pamela A said:

Taxotere and Cytoxan - Eyebrows and Eyelash loss
    Hello All - Just found this site and it has great information. I had by last round of 4 TC treatments (every 3 wks) last week. I lost most of my hair after the first treatment. I still have my eyelashes and eyebrows. For those of you who have already been through TC treatment did you retain your lashes and brows or will I still likely lose them?

I realize this should be a minor part of the whole process - but was wondering what to expect. :-)

Thanks!

Welcome Pamela
    Hi Pamela and welcome to the site! I didn't have chemo, so, I can't help you with your questions. But, there are so many bc survivors on here that will reply to you. Good luck!

Hugs!
  • mizv
    mizv Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the Question
    Hi Traci - thanks for asking the question that has been mulling around in my mind for 2 weeks now - since I got my head shaved.

After reading all the posts about it, I am almost ashamed that I'm such a weenie about it, because I have not even looked at my head. Nor have I let my husband see me without a bandana - even wear it at night. Maybe after more time goes by I will get used to it and will not be afraid to look.

I decided right off that I didn't want to wear a wig, so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a stack of cute cotton bandanas. They work perfectly - just the right size to cover up but not droop around my head. I also bought several cute ballcaps, but haven't worn them yet. Maybe never will.

So far people have stared (especially my dog), but I stare right back. I guess my biggest problem is that I have small bones which makes a small head, and sharp features - long pointy nose and chin, so I feel like I really look bad without any hair to soften my features. So far (after only 1 treatment) I still have eyelashes and eyebrows (fingers X'd).

Anyway, as the others have said, each of us has our own way of coping. I really enjoyed some of the posts - they were pretty funny. Good luck in whatever you decide - I know it will be the perfect choice for you.

Val
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    mizv said:

Thanks for the Question
    Hi Traci - thanks for asking the question that has been mulling around in my mind for 2 weeks now - since I got my head shaved.

After reading all the posts about it, I am almost ashamed that I'm such a weenie about it, because I have not even looked at my head. Nor have I let my husband see me without a bandana - even wear it at night. Maybe after more time goes by I will get used to it and will not be afraid to look.

I decided right off that I didn't want to wear a wig, so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a stack of cute cotton bandanas. They work perfectly - just the right size to cover up but not droop around my head. I also bought several cute ballcaps, but haven't worn them yet. Maybe never will.

So far people have stared (especially my dog), but I stare right back. I guess my biggest problem is that I have small bones which makes a small head, and sharp features - long pointy nose and chin, so I feel like I really look bad without any hair to soften my features. So far (after only 1 treatment) I still have eyelashes and eyebrows (fingers X'd).

Anyway, as the others have said, each of us has our own way of coping. I really enjoyed some of the posts - they were pretty funny. Good luck in whatever you decide - I know it will be the perfect choice for you.

Val

Hey Val! Welcome. I am
    Hey Val! Welcome. I am sorry I am so late in this. Hope to see more of your postings.

Lex♥
  • sparton
    sparton Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I had Taxotere and Carboplatin and Herceptin and Perjetta. I lost my hair after 3 weeks but I did not lose my eyebrows and eyelashes until ai finished all 6 rounds of chemo. I lost them both twice, one right after the other but they came back in. Unfortunately, the hair on my head is not coming back after 15 months.

It is interesting that I did lose hair all over my body - nose hairs, pubic, arms, legs, etc. All of those things came back, just. not on my head. There is not genetic alopecia in my family to explain it. Dermatologist says my hair follicles are alive and not scarred and does not know why hair is not coming back. My dad died in his 70s with a full thick head of hair. I was always blessed with thick hair and known for it.

I'm struggling.

sparton

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I had hats and scarves, too, and bought a wig. I hardly ever wore the wig. I finally just went without anything. I have never been one to enjoy fooling with my hair, anyway! LOL I got absolutely no reactions out in public. I think there is so much breast cancer around, and awareness of it, that people pretty much know what they are looking at. I don't think you need to worry! My hair is growing back now and I'm dreading when I have to mess with it. Best of luck to you!