In Remission?

Options
2»

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    My doc told me
    Everyone has cancer cells in their body, it just depends on whether they turn into what we all consider "cancer". So we can never say cancer free because that is an impossibility for anyone. That is why they say in remission. You can be in remission for life (as we all are!). But not cancer free.

=^..^=
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    cats_toy said:

My doc told me
    Everyone has cancer cells in their body, it just depends on whether they turn into what we all consider "cancer". So we can never say cancer free because that is an impossibility for anyone. That is why they say in remission. You can be in remission for life (as we all are!). But not cancer free.

=^..^=

Thanks for
    replying,Cat.Hows the kitten doing?
  • cats_toy
    Options

Thanks for
    replying,Cat.Hows the kitten doing?

Patty
    fuzzball is growing fast, getting her color in, and being an absolute pain to the boys. As soon as they come in, she pounces, and they get mad. Loving every minute of it.
    thanks!!!

=^..^=
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

Patty
    fuzzball is growing fast, getting her color in, and being an absolute pain to the boys. As soon as they come in, she pounces, and they get mad. Loving every minute of it.
    thanks!!!

=^..^=

A better name for Fuzzball?
    Brat? :-)

Kind regards, Susan
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

My doc told me

=^..^=

I agree
    I agree cats_toy! No one, doc/nurse or anyone else, can state with certainty that they are cancer free, anymore than any one of us can. Just a fact of life. My onc told me, several years ago, that most people have some cancer within their bodies, one or more times in thier lives but that our immune systems take care of it...gobbles it up and it is no more. Everything I've read supports that. My onc, as well as my breast surgeon, both prefer the term "NED" (no evidence of disease). That's about as "on the money" as it gets I think and I kinda think that term has a better ring to it than "remission". Remission, to me, sort of implies that it's coming back, and the only question is when. As if maybe we're just taking a break from it or something? Mercy me...why not just say it's on "hiatus" until further notice???!!! Leave it to the medical community to apply a term with "iffy" connotations for us, right? Get our anxiety levels ramped up a notch or two...maybe good for business? LOL In all sincerity though, we've all been there...hours or even days spent very upset and stressed out about a term or something our doc or nurse said or implied and we go nuts trying to figure out what it means and how it applies to us.

We must take care during our emotional healing, not to get too caught up in such things as "stats" and "staging formulas", prognoses and the like. And if some rude stranger is bold enough to ask about your prognosis, well, just ask them about their own. I mean, it makes about as much sense. Crystal balls and all that...

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    inkblot said:

I agree
    I agree cats_toy! No one, doc/nurse or anyone else, can state with certainty that they are cancer free, anymore than any one of us can. Just a fact of life. My onc told me, several years ago, that most people have some cancer within their bodies, one or more times in thier lives but that our immune systems take care of it...gobbles it up and it is no more. Everything I've read supports that. My onc, as well as my breast surgeon, both prefer the term "NED" (no evidence of disease). That's about as "on the money" as it gets I think and I kinda think that term has a better ring to it than "remission". Remission, to me, sort of implies that it's coming back, and the only question is when. As if maybe we're just taking a break from it or something? Mercy me...why not just say it's on "hiatus" until further notice???!!! Leave it to the medical community to apply a term with "iffy" connotations for us, right? Get our anxiety levels ramped up a notch or two...maybe good for business? LOL In all sincerity though, we've all been there...hours or even days spent very upset and stressed out about a term or something our doc or nurse said or implied and we go nuts trying to figure out what it means and how it applies to us.

We must take care during our emotional healing, not to get too caught up in such things as "stats" and "staging formulas", prognoses and the like. And if some rude stranger is bold enough to ask about your prognosis, well, just ask them about their own. I mean, it makes about as much sense. Crystal balls and all that...

Ink

Well-Said, Ink
    Thank you, Ink. You sum it all up very well. Words to live by
  • cats_toy
    Options
    inkblot said:

I agree

Ink

thank you ink
    I believe you said that very well. Status and staging formulas, etc, are just a tool for them to use, and it doesn't always mean a thing.
    We can just figure the dx, surgery, chemo and rads was just an intermission from our regular lives....
    Cat
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    inkblot said:

I agree

Ink

Applause!!!
    Bravo!! Well said. They have to draw the line somewhere as a guide in these tools for the general public. Hence we are given definitive numbers to go by. However, if we were all the same, there would be a cure by now!! I like to convince my self that I am the exception, therefore, I will make history with my survivorship!! I want to be the little old lady on TV celebrating her 100th Birthday with the world!! And I hope you all are there!! :) Pammy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    inkblot said:

I agree

Ink

I love what you wrote too
    I love what you wrote too ink! Thank you!