Options
2»

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Aortus said:

Sorry about the Acer
    The more I read about the little netbooks, the less I think of them - "you get what you pay for." As a former Acer owner, I have felt Hans's pain!

Joe

How Weird!
    Not five minutes after typing this note, my beloved 5 1/2 year old Sony mini-laptop gave up the ghost. The hard drive started making bizarre noises, which got louder and weirder. Then it locked up into that deep freeze from which even Bill Gates can't wake a computer up. I was saddened. That computer has been to Russia with me three times and all around the US. Now it is a paperweight. I'm still sad.

So, following the excellent advice in this thread, I went to get Moopsy a new laptop. As I have long suspected, she liked the new MacBook primarily for my thoughtfulness in getting it for her and really wanted to go back to Windows. Now the MacBook is my traveling computer, and Moopy is the happy owner of a $299 Toshiba which I picked up for her at Best Buy last night. I read the owner reviews and found it to be a reliable surfing/emailing box which doesn't start a fire in a user's lap. How weird!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Aortus said:

How Weird!
    Not five minutes after typing this note, my beloved 5 1/2 year old Sony mini-laptop gave up the ghost. The hard drive started making bizarre noises, which got louder and weirder. Then it locked up into that deep freeze from which even Bill Gates can't wake a computer up. I was saddened. That computer has been to Russia with me three times and all around the US. Now it is a paperweight. I'm still sad.

So, following the excellent advice in this thread, I went to get Moopsy a new laptop. As I have long suspected, she liked the new MacBook primarily for my thoughtfulness in getting it for her and really wanted to go back to Windows. Now the MacBook is my traveling computer, and Moopy is the happy owner of a $299 Toshiba which I picked up for her at Best Buy last night. I read the owner reviews and found it to be a reliable surfing/emailing box which doesn't start a fire in a user's lap. How weird!

Things have a way of working....
    And, for Hans, he gets a 24-hour on-call, FREE computer person...he just needs to keep me happy by traveling, and buying me sparklies...lol...

Actually, the ring was something he bought to say 'I love you' about 2 years ago. One day I was having trouble changing my main pic, so I did this one, and it didn't seem to take, but then it did...As far as any other meaning...well, I always tease him about 1/4 carat for each year together...and so he surprised me with this one...18/4 is over 4 carats...I would have settled for a 2 carat...this one is almost 3, but investment quality...so, I COULD have refused it...but...well, I didn't want to hurt his feelings....LMAO....I REALLY wasn't thinking of myself....ROFL!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    KathiM said:

And, for Hans, he gets a 24-hour on-call, FREE computer person...he just needs to keep me happy by traveling, and buying me sparklies...lol...

Actually, the ring was something he bought to say 'I love you' about 2 years ago. One day I was having trouble changing my main pic, so I did this one, and it didn't seem to take, but then it did...As far as any other meaning...well, I always tease him about 1/4 carat for each year together...and so he surprised me with this one...18/4 is over 4 carats...I would have settled for a 2 carat...this one is almost 3, but investment quality...so, I COULD have refused it...but...well, I didn't want to hurt his feelings....LMAO....I REALLY wasn't thinking of myself....ROFL!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Tell Hans I understand
    A few years back, Moopy declared that it was customary for a husband to "upgrade" his wife's wedding rings in honor of their eleventh anniversary. So she took me down to a local jeweler where she pointed out her desired upgrade. I looked at the price, gulped quietly, and nodded "yes."

Then something even bigger and sparklier caught Moopy's eye. She loved it at once. The price was double the cost of her previous choice of "upgrade." Since I'd already done my gulping, I just nodded "yes." The smile on the Moopster's lovely face was more than worth the entire semester of summer school I taught in order to pay the jeweler's bill.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

Ring Mystery Solved
    Thanks,Kathi. I saw the ring on your hand so briefly that I wondered if I imagined it, or maybe the ring was attached to someone else's hand! Over 4 carats--wow, and every one deserved by you, and more. Hello to you and your beau over there in Amsterdam.