Laptops?

Jeanne D
Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need a new laptop. So, who has one? What brand and make is it?

Approximately the price? And, why do you like it? And, is there anything you don't like

about it? I think that is enough questions for NOW! Thanks!

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Some questions for you, too...
    How much computing power do you need? If you're mostly surfing the Internets and keeping up on email, you don't need to spend money on a fast processor. Or do you need a more powerful one to edit digital photos or movies and/or do some writing? How portable do you want your laptop to be - something small enough to travel with, or would you prefer a heavier laptop with a bigger and better screen?

When I was looking for a new laptop for Moovis, we decided the "netbooks" which cost in the $400 range were too small and dinky for her to see or type on. But the 15" screen Windows laptops starting at the $600 range were too big and heavy for her to put in her kitteny little lap. And hot. Those babies generate a lot of heat - resting one in your lap for any length of time will give you a whole new appreciation of "hot pants."

The solution I hit on was a 13" MacBook, which provided the best combination of screen size, weight, power, and cost ($1100). As a Windows user, the Moopinator didn't take to it too easily, but it runs cool and fits in the Moopster's lap. At this point, she has pretty much made her peace with its Macintosh quirks and she gives it a good workout or two every day.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Just recently bought one...
    A couple days after I was DX my son and I went to find me a laptop since I was figuring on being laid up (had to have my computer! I'm addicted!! Plus that is how I comunnicated to his phone often). I really like the Compac Presario. It is a 15.6 inch HD widescreen. The clarity is excellent!! However, the downfall is that it does get hot on your lap!! However, since it is wide I have been able to shift it to one side so as not to feel the heat too much. I paid $450.00 on sale at Best Buy. I really like it. It seems to work everybit as well as my desk top PC. :) Pammy
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Akiss4me said:

Just recently bought one...
    A couple days after I was DX my son and I went to find me a laptop since I was figuring on being laid up (had to have my computer! I'm addicted!! Plus that is how I comunnicated to his phone often). I really like the Compac Presario. It is a 15.6 inch HD widescreen. The clarity is excellent!! However, the downfall is that it does get hot on your lap!! However, since it is wide I have been able to shift it to one side so as not to feel the heat too much. I paid $450.00 on sale at Best Buy. I really like it. It seems to work everybit as well as my desk top PC. :) Pammy

hahahha
    Pammy I it sounds like we have the same laptop. I got mine from Best Buy and paid about the same and I love love love it. I love it so much my son's girlfriend when and got herself the same one.

RE
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    I have.....
    I have an HP laptop. Was fairly inexpensive, so doesn't have a lot of umphhh. Enough for the basics.

I have a desktop and it was ready to lie down & die, so had my son-in-law pick up this laptop for me in case the desktop went. I needed to have something because I was buying & selling a lot on ebay.

Desktop did die, but have since gotten a new processor. Kept the old monitor because it is so accurate on color.

This laptop also gets pretty hot on the bottom, but my "puter guru" said that I need to keep the "vents" on the bottom and sides unblocked and clear because the laptops will overheat and that is what does many of them in before their time. So when I have it on my lap, I try & place it so that it can get "air".

CR
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    CR1954 said:

I have.....
    I have an HP laptop. Was fairly inexpensive, so doesn't have a lot of umphhh. Enough for the basics.

I have a desktop and it was ready to lie down & die, so had my son-in-law pick up this laptop for me in case the desktop went. I needed to have something because I was buying & selling a lot on ebay.

Desktop did die, but have since gotten a new processor. Kept the old monitor because it is so accurate on color.

This laptop also gets pretty hot on the bottom, but my "puter guru" said that I need to keep the "vents" on the bottom and sides unblocked and clear because the laptops will overheat and that is what does many of them in before their time. So when I have it on my lap, I try & place it so that it can get "air".

CR

Laptop
    I have an old Gateway that was dying a slow painful death, and decided I wanted a laptop to replace it. I went on Ebay and got a Dell Insperion for about $200. Its ok, still kinda slow, and with my poor eyesight I have to sit right on top of it to read the screen. But I love it for its mobility. I am taking it with me to the beach to keep up with everyone!
    Pat
  • CR1954
    padee6339 said:

Laptop
    I have an old Gateway that was dying a slow painful death, and decided I wanted a laptop to replace it. I went on Ebay and got a Dell Insperion for about $200. Its ok, still kinda slow, and with my poor eyesight I have to sit right on top of it to read the screen. But I love it for its mobility. I am taking it with me to the beach to keep up with everyone!
    Pat

Padee.....
    I had to increase the size of the print on my computers because I was doing what you do...having to get very close to the screen.
    If you have Vista, go to the top of the page, right-hand side, and click on "page", it will show a drop down. Go to "text size" and you will be able to enlarge the print. I have mine set on "larger".

CR
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    I chose to buy Tosiba
    My daughter and I both have Tosiba laptops. She has XP and I have Vista. I bought my Vista after the quirks were worked out and I love it. It's not too heavy, if I'm not hauling it a long distance. I have taken it to class and it fits nicely into my soft briefcase. It was about $500 when I bought it two years ago. My daughter prefers her XP, but I think mine is faster. I also like the adaptable features better than the XP.
    dmc
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    dmc_emmy said:

I chose to buy Tosiba
    My daughter and I both have Tosiba laptops. She has XP and I have Vista. I bought my Vista after the quirks were worked out and I love it. It's not too heavy, if I'm not hauling it a long distance. I have taken it to class and it fits nicely into my soft briefcase. It was about $500 when I bought it two years ago. My daughter prefers her XP, but I think mine is faster. I also like the adaptable features better than the XP.
    dmc

Thanks for the info!
    Thanks everyone for all of this info! I just want another one for just the

basic, email and searching the internet some. Looks like Best Buy is in my future!
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Don't but Gateway
    My sister and I bought one at the same time. She had to replace her hard drive in a year. I replaced mine in a year and a half.
  • CR1954
    Jadie said:

Don't but Gateway
    My sister and I bought one at the same time. She had to replace her hard drive in a year. I replaced mine in a year and a half.

Jadie......
    My daughter also had a Gateway and also had to replace her hard drive within 8 months.

CR
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    mine is a Dell
    purchased by my boss so I can continue working anywhere I go!
    a little costly but needed certain processor size and type to be able to access our client's websites. It cost about $1,400.00
    It is mine though and I love it!
    =^..^=
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Macs
    I am obsessed with their products and would recommend the macbook as well. We have three computers between me and Simon. Two are PCs (including my laptop) and one is a mac. I use my mac to edit digital video and do itunes, etc. I love it. I am willing to pay a little more if there is an equal ungrade in value. With macs, I believe you get that.

As an aside, I recently bought the new iphone and now cannot live without it. Before this, we had Sprint phones for 8 years. It's like a whole new world.

Let us know what you pick.

Mimi
  • eph
    eph Member Posts: 14
    cats_toy said:

mine is a Dell
    purchased by my boss so I can continue working anywhere I go!
    a little costly but needed certain processor size and type to be able to access our client's websites. It cost about $1,400.00
    It is mine though and I love it!
    =^..^=

those really small ones...
    I've seen some really small ones at Best Buy. I think they cost about $300 but can almost fit in your purse. I don't think they have much hard drive so you can't store anything but to get on the internet and email I think they'd be perfect.

I bought a Gateway MD 7818.. I shoot a lot of pics and it has a great processor for that job. It's kinda heavy and gets hot on the lap if I use it more than an hour or so without a break. Other than that I like it.

I'd suggest the extended warranty from Best Buy. If it tears up... just take it back and they'll give you a new one. It's the honest truth. I've done it twice and they just smile and tell me to have fun with my new computer...

Hope this helps.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    mimivac said:

Macs
    I am obsessed with their products and would recommend the macbook as well. We have three computers between me and Simon. Two are PCs (including my laptop) and one is a mac. I use my mac to edit digital video and do itunes, etc. I love it. I am willing to pay a little more if there is an equal ungrade in value. With macs, I believe you get that.

As an aside, I recently bought the new iphone and now cannot live without it. Before this, we had Sprint phones for 8 years. It's like a whole new world.

Let us know what you pick.

Mimi

Sorry, I am no help. I have
    Sorry, I am no help. I have never had one. :(
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Noel said:

Sorry, I am no help. I have
    Sorry, I am no help. I have never had one. :(

I have an HP laptop and I
    I have an HP laptop and I love it. Also got it at Best Buy. Good luck!
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    CR1954 said:

Padee.....
    I had to increase the size of the print on my computers because I was doing what you do...having to get very close to the screen.
    If you have Vista, go to the top of the page, right-hand side, and click on "page", it will show a drop down. Go to "text size" and you will be able to enlarge the print. I have mine set on "larger".

CR

CR
    That is a very good tip. You were the one who helped me when my print was to small. I have a Dell Inspiration that I love but is currently not working..may be time for retail therapy!
    jackie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm a computer consultant....
    I worked on many machines, both laptops and towers. For towers, I go generic...

But, for laptops, far and away, Toshiba. I have a 12" screen model, and it has a full-sized keyboard, which I like. It also has a DVD/CD writer on board! I bought a higher res camera for Skype, but the onboard camera works great, too....

Hans bought a small one...Acer...we have had to return it 2 times already for hard drive troubles...This brand was not so good in the towers I worked on.

My daughter has an HP with a 15" screen...she loves it...shes a gamer...

I agree with Aortus...it depends on what you want to do with it. Most of the laptops out today will far and away handle the e-mail/occasional letters/pictures....a note on pictures...google has a free download of a great picture editor called Picassa...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    CR1954 said:

Padee.....

CR

Another way to enlarge print....
    hold down the 'control' key while you press the 'plus' key next to your number keypad. This allows you to change text per page if you like. To decrease size, hold down 'control' key while you press the 'minus' key. Sooooo easy & quick!! :) Pammy
  • CR1954
    Akiss4me said:

Another way to enlarge print....
    hold down the 'control' key while you press the 'plus' key next to your number keypad. This allows you to change text per page if you like. To decrease size, hold down 'control' key while you press the 'minus' key. Sooooo easy & quick!! :) Pammy

I didn't.....
    I didn't know that Pammy. Thank you for teaching me something new!

Hugs,

CR
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    KathiM said:

I'm a computer consultant....
    I worked on many machines, both laptops and towers. For towers, I go generic...

But, for laptops, far and away, Toshiba. I have a 12" screen model, and it has a full-sized keyboard, which I like. It also has a DVD/CD writer on board! I bought a higher res camera for Skype, but the onboard camera works great, too....

Hans bought a small one...Acer...we have had to return it 2 times already for hard drive troubles...This brand was not so good in the towers I worked on.

My daughter has an HP with a 15" screen...she loves it...shes a gamer...

I agree with Aortus...it depends on what you want to do with it. Most of the laptops out today will far and away handle the e-mail/occasional letters/pictures....a note on pictures...google has a free download of a great picture editor called Picassa...

Hugs, Kathi

Sorry about the Acer
    The more I read about the little netbooks, the less I think of them - "you get what you pay for." As a former Acer owner, I have felt Hans's pain!

Joe